Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
I Was Born Free!

P
Adventurer
04-10-2022, 05:25 AM
The woman walked slowly through the new area, sniffing the ground as she did so. She made sure to step carefully with ever step, not really knowing what could be laying in wait. At least she was in a rather calm and familiar type of location. The plains was where she had spent her whole live, loving the feeling of running through the open fields. Besides, the plains didn't have many rocks or roots that she could potentially hurt her leg on. 

A loud whinny was called out as she lifted her head in the air, moving it up and down as she called out. She knew the dangers of calling out could possibly bring predators, but she also knew that if she didn't find a herd or at least a friend soon, she wouldn't make it long. Her ears perked as she glanced around, listening and watching everything with wide eyes. Now that she had made herself a target, she was alert and watchful, hoping that someone that didn't want to eat her would show up soon.

the staff team luvs u
She does. She speaks. She thinks.
04-10-2022, 09:00 AM
Renegade was going to see what all that the plains provided and that meant that he was going to push that whole, horses are nomadic herds to the max. He was farther to the north than he had ever been and that was incuding when he woke up and had no idea how he got to the Hiraeth. He did know that when the snows started to fly again that he would take what ever mares he had added to his harem there, as it did provide a good sanctuary from what the cold winter months could throw at him and his herd. Mares funny that was when he started to raise his head and started to smell the breeze. There was a horse scent in it and it wasn't from Strawberry or Bayar, no this was a completely new stranger as it also wasn't Daydream. He wondered where the grey dapple stag got to as he had never crossed paths since the first time they met, but it wasn't surprising as the plains did seem to be far wider and bigger than Reny's original range and home, with far more differing terrain also.

He looked back making sure Strawberry and Bayar was staying together and so presenting a bigger challenge if a bachelor stallion did show up. There was no way he would of left just Strawberry as she would of been cornered and then dragged off without so much as a whimper, he though was slowly trying to change that and to make it so that she actually would stand up and grasp the life she so rightfully chose for herself. Now he started to track by pointing his head up into the wind and along the ground trying to see just where this other horse's trail was going. He was going along when he heard the shrill whinny of the horse. He also could tell it was amare and so he started to trot off towards where the sound came from. He crested a small rise and there in front was a dark spotted mare, he lowered his head slightly and nickered back in greeting, before walking slowly up. He didn't want to frighten and so spook her as he was liking what he was seeing so far, a lone mare and not another stallion scent lingering around. This one looked to be by herself and so up for grabs.

After closing the distance he spoke softly.  " Now what brings you here? And are you alone? I am Renegade and heard your call out, nice to meet you."

He then started to look her over seeing if she was injured and so far it didn't look like it. He would chat it up for a little bit before finally deciding if she would be worth adding or not to his herd. So far it was a yes and maybe she could help Strawberry in how to better be a wild mare. He then looked over his shoulder and so see if anything was prowling around and so far it was just the two of them and a few birds. Then there was the dark clouds that wasn't moving but just sitting there like some black spider in it's web waiting to make a move, what ever it was either towards him or somewhere else. He just wish if it was a storm to break and explode or just quietly drift away, not sit there doing nothing like it had for the last week.
the staff team luvs u
04-10-2022, 08:38 PM
She kept her eyes open wide as she watched the area, thankful that this was a wide open place where she could see almost anything that came up to her. After a few moments, she would begin to lower her head to the ground, slowly beginning to graze. The grass here was lush and tasted great, something she was sure she could get used it. The sun kissed fields were not only beautiful but also tasty! 

She began slowly walking as she grazed, keeping her ears forward and pivoting quickly to catch all the sounds around her. Flies began attacking her relentlessly, but she simply just flipped her tail back and forth, pushing them off of her with little care. After a few moments though, she heard someone coming towards her, though the sound of the gait sounded like another horse. 

Lifting her head, she glanced around and sure enough, she saw a stallion coming towards her. She turned to look at the male, nodding her head in greeting to him as he spoke. "Hello there, I'm not entirely sure honestly, I don't really remember much. I just kind of blinked and I was here..." It was clear she was confused and a little worried about where she was. "My name is Dancer, it's very nice to meet you Renegade." A soft smile graced her lips as she watched him with a soft expression.

the staff team luvs u
04-11-2022, 12:00 PM
Renegade was sort of in awe with the small blanket Appaloosa as he never had one in his original herd or the one he was slowly building here, his new temporary home. He shook his head slowly when she gave her name as Dancer, so was she the type to be constantly moving and shuffling her hooves around, hence Dancer. It remained to be seen if that was the case or not. He then listen to how she just sort of blinked and was here. After waiting for the smaller mares explination he decided to tell her how he came here.

" I just woke up here and have no idea how. But to drag me here who ever did it, had to go past four mares to do it, which is far and away very difficult when they are on high alert. And so I have been sort of roaming around this place and so far these plains are far more ranging and wider than my old home for sure. But if this going to be my new home I plan on getting everything back that was taken from me from my original home."

Renegade would offer first to join his harem with this mare first, and if she did decide to object or protest he would move to more forceful means to get her to come with him. It was fine time to add an Appy to his mare collection. Poor Dancer was the one that was going to fill that space in the next few minutes, he slowly took a couple of steps closer but was still about 7 horse lengths away from her as he didn't want to raise the alarm and alert of the black and rear spotted flicka because by the looks of it she could be much quicker and faster in her movements and speed, over his more ponderous half draft build. Power and size was on his though and the only way to bring those to bare was by getting in close. He now was wondering how she would respond and then go about offering her a home and protection, and if she would accept or not. Reny was about to find out either way and hope that he was ready for what ever came next.
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-11-2022, 08:10 PM
The woman felt a bit more comfortable around him as he told her his own story. It seemed she wasn't the only one that wound up here randomly. At first, she wondered if this was the work of some God or being that she didn't know about. Maybe that was something she should look into. Nonetheless, she watched him as he moved closer, not thinking anything of it.

Typically she was on guard as many who were like her were, however she didn't think she would need to be on guard from one of her own species. Especially one that seemed to nice at first. Her head swiveled around as she looked around her, taking in the view of the hills and the rolling grass around her. She wondered what this place was called and if this man would know. "Do you know where we are? The scenery is very beautiful but you say its much bigger?" She would turn back to the man, moving closer to him until she was about one length away. 

Her nostrils moved as she took in his scent, catching the scent of a few others on him. She knew he talked about making his herd and wondered if he had already made it. She didn't entirely know him so she wasn't sure if joining into an unknown group was the wises option, but she figured that could be a later choice.

the staff team luvs u
04-12-2022, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2022, 06:28 PM by Renegade. Edited 1 time in total.)
Renegade was on alert not from the mare but for others like coyote's and wolves as the plains seem to have more than their fair share of both. His gaze quickly refocused on the mare as she seemed to close in on him, that was fine as long as he didn't see earpinning and teeth baring he would stay put. He was more in awe how she was able to avoid other horses and then run into him of all things. Renegade was trying to think up what to say next and best how to say that he wanted her to come with him join his harem and so live her life as one of his mares. He then picked up his ears when she spoke on if he knew what this exact spot was named. All he could do was shake his large head no and speak.

" No I have no idea what this exact place goes by name wise, as this is my first time here. I do know the region is the plains and yes it is a vast sea of grass from horizon to horizon with a few streams and bigger rivers, with a few lakes and watering holes thrown in, and clumps of wooded areas and stands of trees here and there, but again mostly grasses and so natural environment for us equines to enjoy. I also would love to offer a place in my herd and so come with me to live and so never have to worry about being alone and so being picked off by a predator or a pack of them."

Now he went and did it if she did refused he hope that he would be quick enough to prevent her from bolting as her smaller and lighter size was a advantage over his stockier and bigger semi draft build if it did come down to a foot race she could out distance and speed him with enough time and space. He was hoping she would say yes and so avoid all of that as chasing a mare ment his other two was vulnerable until he returned either with out without Dancer in tow. He also was liking if she said yes he would be half way to his goal of 6 mares for his harem and then onwards to making sure it prospered and continued. He was liking that she was a blanket Appaloosa as they was not common in the wild, from his old home there was only about eight that he could remember from the 60 horses that lived around him. He then just shook himself and waited for her answer.
the staff team luvs u
04-12-2022, 07:04 PM
The mare was excited about this new land, finding things so much more interesting. She began to show her excitement with a light prancing in place, her hooves tiptapping on the ground beneath her. Everything was new and she just couldn't wait to explore it all! She didn't entirely know how to explore it all, but she would figure it out. However, once he started talking again, she stopped her little dance, listening to what he had to say. 

A soft nod would be shown that she was listening though she stayed quiet until the end when he offered her to be apart of his herd. Hmm, she had hoped to find a herd earlier, but now she just wanted to explore. Maybe she could join it later? After a few moments of mental debate, she would speak up, not moving away from him as she didn't seem scared of him at all. "Hmm, I'm not sure, but I think for now I'm going to explore around." She was very polite in how she spoke, though still standing within a couple feet from him. 

She was not scared of him as she lowered her guard, turning her head to look across the rolling fields with awe clear in her face.

the staff team luvs u
04-13-2022, 04:13 PM
Renegade was hoping that it would be over with now and the young mare be coming with him and so joining his herd ranks. But as they say the best laid plans can be dashed to bits on the most over looked details. Those details was how this mare turned his offer down. No he could not afford to have this mare slip away but he also didn't want to be the brute and just drive and drag her back either as then all three of his mares would work against him. He did have two advantages he knew this mares scent and he knew also how she looked and the markings she had. So she would be real easy to pick out of a crowd that was for sure. He would have to keep within nose distance and either think of another plan or move as he very much wanted her for his harem. He then spoke.

" Fine but if you get in trouble don't say I didn't warn you, as there seems to be a lot of coyotes and wolves around. I'll leave you be then."

Reny had no plan on abandoning this mare but again he did this in his old home on trailing a mare he had an interest in. Then when the time was right to cut off her escape or to drive her back with him to join his other mares. He started to slowly turn and walk away but only far enough to keep his prize Dancer in sight and under his constant watch. The next couple of hours he hope to have something more concrete to get this mare to add to his other two. He was hoping to lower her guard and so make it easier to strike if the opportunity arises.He really did hope that he didn't have to be the dominating brute type as that just meant extra work in trying to keep this mare in line until she finally gave up and so become his.
the staff team luvs u
04-13-2022, 08:39 PM
She was happy where she was, doing her namesake once more as she began prancing around. The possibilities around here were endless. However, she paused as she heard the man's words. Wolves and coyotes? Hmm, she really didn't think this through did she? As he began to walk away, she would run to catch up with him, speaking up as she did. "Wait, okay. I do still want to explore, but is that spot still open? I would like to join actually." She didn't want to tell him that she was an idiot and forgot about the dangers of this new world. 

She would move to walk beside him if he allowed it, her tail flicking back and forth slightly. She still pranced as she walked, seeming to have so much energy that she just wanted to run. However, that could come later. For now, she wanted to make sure she wasn't going to get attacked by anything before she found a safe place. In honesty, she felt a little dumb. When she had first gotten here, she was on guard but then once the new things around her caught her attention, she completely forgot about the dangers. She tended to do that a lot.

the staff team luvs u
04-14-2022, 10:35 PM
Renegade was already trying to get to the farthest and highest point possible and so keep this mare in his sight at all times. He was not expecting her to just turn and wanting to start to walk with him, not only that but to also want to join his herd willingly, which was great as he then didn't have to drive and so keep her under a continuous watch if he really had to corner and claim her. He really was not paying attention until he cocked his head over his left shoulder. That is when he seen that she was following and asking if the spot was still open he just stopped and waited for her to catch up to him. He then said.

" Yes as it has only been what a moment since I said it and I have not run into any other mares since then. And if you want to continue to explore than fine lets go but as soon as the sun starts to set then we need to get back to my other mares."

Renegade knew full well that Strawberry was in no position to either fight off or even make a predator or bachelor stallion think twice before making a move or attack against her or Bayar. He was not going to pick up a mare and then lose the other two as that was going backwards for his plans of wanting a pretty good size harem. Since it seemed like someone or maybe something wanted him here in this totally strange and new land he figured he would just continue what he was doing in his old homeland. He looked over some of the rocky outcroppings on if anything was either lingering there or made an appearance, so far it seemed like Dancer and himself was the only living things around. He did like that this was far easier than he was expecting on picking up this mare. He wondered how Strawberry and Dancer would get along, he hoped that the two of them would become fast friends and then to help each other if a problem or danger presented itself to both mares. For horses numbers was everything s it added more eyes and ears on picking up anything that could go and be a danger to the herd. He now waited for the mare to speak or to do something and so react to it, as he was now sort of glad to be waiting on Dancer to lead him and so explore this new place, it might come in handy later on if his harem ever did get into trouble and needed a place to lay low for a while.
the staff team luvs u
04-15-2022, 04:10 AM
The woman was happy to heard that the position was still open, snorting slightly at his words with a shake of her head. "Well duh, I know that! But maybe me saying no earlier might have caused you to take back the offer. How could I have known." She wasn't mad at him or anything, and once she caught up to him, she whinnied happily. She was happy that she got to explore still, prancing slightly as she spoke. "Wonderful, come on then!" With that, she ran off in a direction, just assuming that he was going to follow her. She didn't run at her full speed though, realizing that she would likely be faster than him and did want him to catch up with her. 

In reality she had absolutely no idea where she was going, but it certainly didn't seem like something that bothered her either. Her mind was wondering and now so could she, only wanting to see what this new world had to offer. Running through some puddles of water, she giggled as she shook her head, bucking as she played. Though she was an adult, a lot of times she acted like a child because she wanted to. She just wondered if he would join in on the fun.

the staff team luvs u
04-16-2022, 02:34 AM
Renegade was wanting and expecting the mare to start walking beside him, that was far from the case as she decided to take off not at a flat out gallop but a good paced one. He decided to give chase and see if she would stop or not as he was afraid as soon as she was out of sight another stallion could move in and take his prize. That would be over his dead body as again this was his first ever Appaloosa mare and he was bound to make sure it remained that way. Yes the chestnut paint had a thing for spots and this little mare had more than enough to keep the Belgium, Mustang mix interest. He did know the longer this race went the longer the gap would widen between them, he just hoped she got this out of her system soon as if he lost sight of her anything bad could happen and he wouldn't be there to at least try and prevent it.

On the other hand this mare was also showing the older stallion her, stamina, speed, and vitality. It was all key points in looking for a member for his herd but not the most important, that one was if they all would get along as having mares fight and bicker among themselves was no fun and was totally counter productive in the health of a herd. When she started to play and splash in the pyuddles, that was when he closed in and tried to brush and lightly shove her sideways with his own body. He was more curious if she retained her balance or not more than anything with this. Now he decided to up the stakes by crying out.

" TAG! Your it."

He then cut to his left and decided to go as fast as he could straight ahead as he was sure she would have no problems catching up and over taking his bulkier build, he was more for power and pulling over the nimbleness and speed of the blanket spotted mare. He would entertain her playfulness and see if there was anything else she might want to see or do here. He had a smile on his face as of right now he was halfway to his goal on herd size with Dancer. Now his destination was a stone column and to see if he couldn't go around it and so double back from whence he came. But he was sure Dancer would get to him before he could pull it off.
the staff team luvs u
04-28-2022, 01:22 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 01:22 AM by Dancer.)
The woman was excited, happy that he was playing along with her. He was much slower than her, but she didn't mind. A light giggle escaped her lips as he ran with her, though she found herself laughing even more as he ran up to tag her. She pawed at the ground for a moment as he ran away, giving him a bit of a head start. After a few seconds though, she shot forward, running towards him quickly.

She caught him after he got to the pillar, but before he doubled back, having been much faster and smaller than him. Nosing him slightly, she would giggle and run off again. "Tag!" She zipped back and forth around him, trying to see how close she could let him get before running away again.

the staff team luvs u
05-02-2022, 04:27 PM
Renegade was happy that the Appy mare decided to jump right on in on this game. As it gave the half draft stallion a chance to see exactly what she got in form, confirmation, build and stamina. All traits he wanted to see on if the foals would get when the time was right. Renegade yes wanted a large family hence why he was driven to get six mares to get said large family. And he was not disappointed when the smaller mare came to his side tapped him and then zig, zagged away. He knew he was not that nimble and so had to play it smart and see just what she was going to do next. 

Renegade then decided that maybe he could cut her off but that was quickly dashed as she just zoomed in and then right back out on a dime. She was difinitely faster and much more agile than his stocky self. He then seen a chance a fleeting one at that where he reached out and done a grazing nip at her dock, he then busted out laughing before saying. " Right back at you, TAG."

He decided to turn to his left and gallop away as fast as he could. But he knew it was only a matter of time that Dancer would be upon him and so either get a tag or even return nip. This was probably the most fun he has had since coming to this new land or world and he was hoping more was in the future.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top