Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
There's no place like home

Evening
P
Discovery
Formation
03-18-2022, 02:23 AM
@Helix

Upon laying eyes on the castle, Quinn had spent some type simply taking in the sight. It wasn't like anything she had ever seen before, and she wondered how it ever got there. She had lived out in the wild and didn't know what humans were, or that they were the reason for this strange collection of stone. 

The sun was almost set on the horizon, barely visible behind the trees. She wasn't quite ready to go inside yet, so she headed to the edge of the lake that bordered the stone building, and crouched down to take her fill of the water. Her tail flicked, as it often did, and her ears pivoted with every sound. Once finished, she sat up and began grooming.
the staff team luvs u
[Image: b5lRX7D.png]
03-22-2022, 12:23 AM
^^There was a brief period of mist and fog that lasted several quick moments that if one blinked, they might have missed it. In this time, the Cornish Rex found himself here, in a new land. The very first thing he took in was the scents; how tart and sharp everything was in comparison from his home land.

The strange collection of stone did not appeal to him as it might have to others, but he took a good look at it with the twitch of his ears as he began to take a look around. He noted the other nearby, grooming, and the lake; though he remained where he stood, tail curled at his side and eyes narrowing.

Why was he here?
^^
the staff team luvs u
03-22-2022, 04:17 PM
Movement caught her eye, and she paused, paw half-way between the ground and her face. At first, she just stared because the cat looked so... different than what she had ever seen before. From her distance, and the low light, it looked as if he didn't have any fur. She had seen short fur, long fur, thin fur, thick fur, straight fur, and many others. But never no fur. She had to investigate. 

She stood and walked towards the stranger slowly, her tail high in a friendly flag and her eyes softening, though never leaving the other. As she got closer, she could see some very short fur on the cat, but it looked almost see-through. Are you sick? she asked, the first assumption her brain went to. Her voice was kind, as she hoped to convey that she would not shy away if the answer was yes. Quinn would try to help. She didn't realize that she could be seen as rude, especially since she hadn't even introduced herself yet. It completely slipped her mind.

the staff team luvs u
03-23-2022, 09:28 PM
^^The calcio’s first thought was not that the other was rude, but rather - did he smell sick? His large ears twisted and turned, watching her without quite looking at her, for a time, but as she grew closer, Helix turned his alien-like head to glance at her fully.

A striped broad, and one like he’d never seen before. She had a strange collection of fur on the tips of her ears, which told him that she wasn’t exactly the same sort of feline as he, but feline all the same, and Helix wasn’t one to care about breed; an interesting sight that Helix didn’t mind looking at.

He brought a paw up to groom, though he was silently taking a sniff, and wondering if he truly was sick - would he be able to smell the sickness on himself? Or was that something that he couldn’t tell, if he was truly sick?

I don’t think so..? Do I smell sick? Helix replied, taking one long stoke of a lick to his paw before slowly setting it back down. If I do.. I can’t smell it..?
^^
the staff team luvs u
03-25-2022, 03:57 PM
She was cautious as she approached, watching as the male lifted a front leg to groom himself. I don’t think so..? Do I smell sick? She took this as an invitation to come closer, her nose reaching out to smell him as she looked him over. His skin looked well, not broken or discolored. And, now that she was closer, she could see he had fur, it was just thin. No, you don't, she confirmed, sitting back on her haunches. She was a little more comfortable to know he smelled perfectly normal.

I've just never seen a cat with fur like yours, she admitted. Were you born like that? she asked, unaware her questions could be rude. She was simply very curious, as cats would be. She certainly didn't mean any harm to the other male. What's your name? I'm Quinn, she said. I'm with a clan of cats that are claiming the stone structure over there, she explained, tilting her head towards the castle. 

the staff team luvs u
03-25-2022, 05:09 PM
^^It did not seem to bother him that Quinn came closer, though Helix suspected that if he were truly ill, she would have been able to smell it far before she had approached him, but he would let her sniff at him anyway.

He glanced her over as she did, noting the odd collection of fur on her ears, much unlike most feline breeds that he knew. He really wanted to reach out and play with them. Instead, he would smile when she confirmed that he was not sick.

He blinked, glancing down at his coat, and towards her, noting the differences. He had fur so thin that it didn’t look like he had fur at all. He could see the wrinkles and folds of his skin, whereas hers was concealed perfectly with long fur - well, longer fur than his.

“Nice to meet you, Quinn of the Stone House. I am Helix, of.. - just Helix, I guess, and yes, I’ve always been like this...”

Helix was today years old when he learned that he was a freak of nature.
^^
the staff team luvs u
03-25-2022, 06:21 PM
He looked back and forth between their coats, but Quinn didn't realize he was noticing the differences for the first time. He introduced himself as Helix. Nice to meet you, Helix, she said. Do you have a home? she asked, not assuming they were the only clan in formation. Quinn had certainly assumed that when she first got here, but with all the cats now coming out of the woodwork, she wondered how many more were nearby. 

You're welcome to check out our place, stay if you like, she offered. So far, she had turned no one way. Then again, she didn't think anyone so far gave her any reason to. They were all quite friendly, and she was enjoying all the company. She liked that so many different personalities were getting along so well. 

the staff team luvs u
03-25-2022, 11:39 PM
^^Despite feeling freakishly like he didn’t belong, Helix smiled up at her. An almost sad smile with the shake of his head. Even the light in his eyes seemed to have dulled. Did he have a home? Well he did, but he didn’t know where he was, or where she was - or what had happened to them, or why he was here –

“I do not have a home any longer.” Helix heard himself saying, not even bothering to glance at the mountain of rock behind him. “I would enjoy staying, though, if you will have me. ” Helix mused, dipping his head.

“It is nice to meet you too,” though was it really? Helix pondered as he begun to look around.
^^
the staff team luvs u
03-28-2022, 01:11 AM
She frowned when he said he didn't have a home any longer. Quinn knew what it felt like to want a home and not have one. It was the entire basis of WillowClan. She nodded her confirmation of the invitation. Absolutely, she said. Would you like a tour of the place? she asked, willing to give him one. There are plenty of private spots if you keep to yourself, or there's a big room we congregate in sometimes to socialize, she explained. There was a little bit of everything for everyone in their home. 

the staff team luvs u
03-28-2022, 04:10 PM
^^Helix got the feeling that these cats thought this house was some sort of big deal when it was not - at least, not to Helix. She offered him a tour of the place, and Helix… felt uncomfortable. He didn’t want a tour; he didn’t care for the house - but he wanted to make friends, and get to know these cats.

“Ah, no thank you, Quinn. I’m sure all houses are the same,” Helix chuckled, hoping that turning the tour down didn’t offend her. “I was more interested in getting to know the outside rather than the inside, though, if you want to give me an outdoor tour..”

Helix smiled nervously as he shifted uncomfortably in place.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
03-29-2022, 11:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2022, 12:34 PM by Quinn. Edited 1 time in total.)
She paused when he declined the tour of their home, her head tilting a bit as her gaze shifted to the castle. Did others have homes like this? Quinn had lived out in the wild, and though she had occasionally come across an abandoned building, it hadn't been anything like this. But, maybe this tomcat had. 

She turned her head back to him as he requested an outdoor tour instead. She nodded, Sure, she said simply. She turned and headed towards the group of trees that bordered the entrance of the castle. Several dozen feet in, she came to a spot of earth that had been displaced recently. This is one of the caches we use to store food, she explained. There's some inside the stone walls, too, but in case anyone needs it, it's out here, too, she explained. 

She would go on to show him some of the plains nearby where a group of rabbits lived, and some hiding places, should he need to seek shelter from another predator or the weather. She circled around back to the entrance of their home, pausing before and turned to Helix. That about sums up the area, she said. You're welcome to come inside and take a look around, or... Well, whichever, she said, remembering he didn't want to come in.

We do expect each of our clan members to help each other, make sure the caches are kept stocked, and keep a look out and report any predators in the area, she explained. She went silent then, waiting to see if he had any questions.

the staff team luvs u
04-05-2022, 10:48 PM
^^Helix did not notice the pause, though assumed a wildcat such as herself had never seen a home and that was why she chose the House to be hers. He would follow her in silence as she gave him an outdoor tour; showing him caches, several fluffles, some good hiding places - Helix showed much interest in those as a possible resting place -

“Thank you for the tour, Quinn.” He would dip his head in farewell, assuming she did not have questions of her own.
^^
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top