Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
The only way is up

Sunny/Clear
AW
Hunter
10-28-2023, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2023, 04:14 PM by Valette. Edited 1 time in total.)
Valette's breathing was labored as she scaled the steeper paths of the territory. She explored it the most by the already woven trails by her pack members. She was always curious to see where they would bring her. This one was taking her higher and higher. She wasn't sure if she wanted to see what was at the end of it. Long since had the view opened up. It was breathtaking. It was strange to her to be so high up. She was definitely not used to mountaineering life.

Val slowed down her pace and looked out from her vantage point. Now, Ira had said that there were also goats here. Maybe she could spot or find a few, trying to learn more about this new type of prey animal. Though, she didn't feel entirely confident hunting here. Footing was very different, and here she couldn't just run her prey down, it clearly had the advantage. Her hazel eyes studied the surroundings, clearly curious and exploring.
the staff team luvs u
11-06-2023, 04:32 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2023, 09:25 AM by Ilya. Edited 1 time in total.)
Among the steep, rocky cliffs, Ilya wandered. He wasn’t entirely sure what he was looking for—if he was looking for anything in particular. Only that Andor had spoken of these peaks, and he wanted to get to know the pack’s territory a little better. If he was going to live here, he thought, he would have to know how to find his way around.

Unfortunately, he wasn’t doing a swell job on the last point. Ilya wasn’t exactly sure how he’d gotten so high up. He sat down on a patch of dried-up grass, panting. He’d surely find a way down eventually, he told himself. Or someone would come looking for him…no, that would be too embarrassing. He had to find his way back before that happened.

His ears perked up when he heard footsteps. The wolf who approached smelled of Vanderfell, but he didn’t recognize her. One of the pack he hadn’t been introduced to yet, he assumed.

“Oh, hello,” he said mildly. He dipped his head in greeting. “I was just taking a rest here.” Hopefully she wouldn’t mind his presence too much.

the staff team luvs u
11-06-2023, 04:13 PM
Valette continued her way, going higher and higher until she ran into another wolf. It was a male, with grey brown fur. She perked up her head and ears. "Hello!," she greeted in return. She approached him with light steps. The woman always moved quietly seeing her hunter background. She hadn't seen the male before. She was mostly relieved that he clearly wasn't a pup. Ira had been firm on the fact that she was not suppose to meet any of her children alone. The former mother totally understood. It was good to meet others of the pack she hadn't met yet. "I can imagine. These inclines are quite steep. Not something I am used to," she admitted, as she decided to take a little rest as well. 

"Can I assume that you are also new to these lands then?," she asked. "I'm Valette," she smiled. Her fur was already starting to smell of the pack, but it still mostly smelled like Greyback. The one she spend most of her time with. It was just so easy to be around him. It was like old times, only the territory they lived in now was vastly different. She liked the foothills better if she was really honest.
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
11-07-2023, 03:44 AM
“It’s been an adjustment,” Ilya agreed with a chuckle. He had some mountaineering experience; he had been born in a valley, and his travels had taken him through bitterly cold mountain passes. This much, he remembered. But since his arrival in this world, the steepest inclines he’d encountered had been around Fate’s Summit.

After the sweltering, miserable heat of Mojito Beach, it was quite a change. One that Ilya, with his thick coat, could only welcome. He could easily see how Andor had been caught off guard.

“I’m Ilya. It’s good to meet you,” he said, looking at the darker furred female with curiosity. Indeed, though Valette smelled of Vanderfell, one wolf’s scent was strongest in her fur. Her mate, he assumed. Greyback? Ilya had heard his name. He was the grandfather of the High King and Queen’s children, but beyond that, he didn’t know much.

“Are you looking for something up here? Maybe I can help?” Ilya added. He was a little too shy to admit that he was lost just yet.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
11-07-2023, 09:43 AM
Valette had to laugh as well. She felt exactly the same way about it. She was glad to have found someone that felt the same. "I lived all my life in open plains," she admitted to the man. "So there were some rolling hills but nothing like this." Valette did like the overview the mountains gave though. On clear days she could look so far. It was mesmerizing to see how the land formed around the mountain. "Yes, nice to meet you," she smiled. The woman wagged her tail gently. Glad to find a friendly face around.

"Well, I was looking for mountain goats actually. Though I have little experience with them and this underground. I wanted to study them and their movements." She explained that to the other wolf. "Since this is the main prey inside the territory I felt that I should update my hunter skills to help the pack. Normally I hunt big game, and things like hares and such. But goats are new, and different from what I've mastered before." She wasn't sure if the male would want to help her with that, but she would love some company, and some extra set of eyes and ears.
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
11-08-2023, 07:06 AM
Ilya listened thoughtfully. Goats? That made sense. He’d never been able to catch one himself; they were tricky buggers. Perhaps he might have more success working with someone else, though.

“I can’t say I know a lot about hunting. Just enough to feed myself,” Ilya admitted. “But I can help you look for them, at least? I’ll try not to get in your way.”

He stood up, and stepped aside to let the smaller wolf lead the way. If nothing else, he might learn something from Valette. And maybe a little bit more about her; it seemed he wouldn’t be leaving these mountains anytime soon, and he really ought to try and make some friends among the pack.

“You were born on the plains?” he prompted curiously.

the staff team luvs u
11-08-2023, 09:25 AM
Valette dipped her head. "Any knowledge is welcome. An extra set of eyes and ears a re always welcome," she commented. She didn't know all the signs of goats yet, but all animals pooped. They might not leave footprints on the rocky grounds but at least it was something. She would keep her nose to the ground to locate the goats. She was not even sure what type they were. Big horn sheep? Or maybe some ibex? Valette took charge and then went to follow her nose. Systematically going to work on finding any signs.

"I was not. I was born in a vale," she commented. "But when I was a yearling I became second in command of a plains pack. The leader died after fatal wounds, and I took over. I never left---" she paused and frowned. "Well, I did came here, didn't I?," she then sighed. It wasn't a sad sigh, more of an acceptance in the sigh. She had Greyback here. "Strangely I found my deceased mate Greyback alive which made me wonder if I was alive. I'm getting philosophical. But that is the quick recap. How about you?"
the staff team luvs u
11-08-2023, 08:50 PM
Ilya was so startled by the mention of a deceased husband returning to life that he stopped in his tracks. He quickly recovered himself, trotting after Valette. He was sure he’d misheard her until she continued speaking.

That was…a lot to take in. Was this…some sort of joke? Was she mad?

Was he dead, too?

A wave of nausea hit him. No, he told himself quickly, focusing on his breathing, on the feeling of the rocks beneath his feet. No, he couldn’t be. The crisp mountain air was sharp in his lungs. He was very much alive.

“That’s…putting it mildly,” Ilya managed to say after a moment. “Well, we still need to eat and sleep. So that’s a good sign.”

He intended it as humorous, but his sheer bafflement made it come out a lot more awkwardly than he’d intended. He coughed.

“I don’t remember too well,” he admitted. God help him. “I travelled a lot. I did different things. Hunting, gardening, odd jobs. I don’t think I ever really had a pack. Sometimes I travelled with others, but that’s not the same as being settled in one place.”
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
11-09-2023, 09:15 AM
Valette realized that what was saying was probably not normal at all. Heck, even she was coming to terms with it, but that was how she felt about it in her memories. She had clear memories about Greyback dying, of Stark that went missing, and of Steady who passed from his fighting wounds. "I apologize," she spoke. "I must sound crazy to you. I just have a lot of memories of another place and time." She paused and then had to chuckle. "Well, that doesn't make it any better, doesn't it? I promise I am somewhat normal," she chuckled and shook her head. She had to agree with him on that. She felt alive, and she did need to sleep and eat. She did have emotions and felt things. Which she decided meant that she was very much still alive.

"Well, I hope Vanderfell is a place where you can settle," she offered kindly. "If that is what you want of course, some wolves love to travel instead of being 'stuck' in one place." Valette was more of a homebody, and rather loyal to a place. She had worked hard to keep Easthollow alive throughout the years. "Anything of those odd jobs you enjoyed the most?," she asked curiously. She had bitten down into hunting as a skill, and had liked it so much that she would continue with it. Big game was her favorite. She was perhaps a little of a thrill junky. Her nose picked up on a scent and she made a sharp left turn. She stumbled upon a pile of poop and sniffed it. Clearly those sheep were here somewhere. She glanced around, her eyes scanning the higher ground. "There!," she whispered and pointed with her snout. They were rather high up though, how would she ever hunt them on those cliffs? She probably couldn't. She would have to get them down to where they were now, where the ground was somewhat better for a chase. "Perhaps they are more an ambush type of prey, than one to chase. What do you think?"
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
11-11-2023, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2023, 08:46 PM by Ilya. Edited 1 time in total.)
“No, you’re not crazy,” Ilya assured her. She had said something a bit mad, true, but everything about this world was mad. The stars, the climate, how they’d even gotten here… “At least, you’re not any crazier than I am.”

He said that last part with a small laugh. If nothing else, Valette seemed kind and well-meaning. Many of the wolves of Vanderfell were kind, even to him. He wanted to believe he could belong among these wolves. But even if he would always be an outsider, he felt some obligation to them. To Andor, to Hieronymous, and to Ira. As long as they wanted his help, he would do his utmost to provide it.

Before he could answer her next question, however, Valette spotted their quarry. He followed her gaze.

“I’m more of a gardener than a hunter,” Ilya admitted, “but I think you’re right. Maybe we could try to knock them off balance.” Without losing their own footing in the process, of course. Gravity did not spare predators anymore than it did prey.
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
11-12-2023, 09:27 AM
Valette offered him a smile. She liked the male, he was kind. She was glad for his words even though he might not mean it. Though, she never got that feeling though. To her it seemed Ilya was genuine. Valette was also glad that she wasn't the only new wolf in Vanderfell. It just felt that she was less alone, already making a friend outside of her relationship with her mate.

"Oh but as a gardener you could help me. If you study what plants specific animals like to eat then it is easier to find them when hunting," she offered. That would be a good thing to team up on if he didn't like hunting. For now the male seemed eager to help. Valette nodded but also wondered how they were ever going to ambush them on those steep slopes. "I have no clue how to ambush them on those slopes, it think it is a safer bet to hunt them when they are not on those steep slopes," she sighed, clearly never experienced before that prey was in sight but unavailable for her to catch. "It is almost remarkable how easily they move."
the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
11-13-2023, 09:25 AM
Well, she was right about that. Whatever they did would certainly be risky. He smiled wryly at her words; if only it was possible to bait a goat.

“Too bad they'll eat pretty much anything green,” he sighed. And some less green things. All of a sudden, an idea struck him. He turned to Valette with a hopeful look in his golden eyes.

“Wait—of course. Goats like salt,” he said brightly. “Do you know of any salt or clay licks around here? They'll almost certainly be gathered there.” The mineral deposits might be tricky to get to, but they would hopefully give them a better chance of catching one unawares. And if they happened to be on flatter ground, that would be an excellent plus.
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
11-17-2023, 10:50 PM
Valette had to chuckle. "Alright, yeah, that is on me. I hoped they might be picky eaters," she admitted. But seeing they lived on a mountain where vegetation might be scarce, they would eat anything. Valette listened with interest when the male came up with an idea. "Salt?," she asked. "I am not familiar but we can look for them," she agreed. She had to give it to the male, he was smart. Plus that would help with ambushing them if they were busy eating salt.

Valette sniffed the air, trying to see if she could get any salt from just smelling. She lifted her snout and moved in a big circle, she didn't get a lot, but she figured if they would move more to the mountainside. Valette continued her way, sniffing the air and trying to look for signs. She glanced over her shoulder. "Any idea where in the mountain salt would build up?," she asked, the male had been knowledgable before.
the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
11-21-2023, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2023, 01:02 AM by Ilya. Edited 1 time in total.)
Ilya’s tail wagged. He rarely had good ideas, but even a broken clock had to be right twice a day. He couldn’t believe he hadn’t thought of it before.

He smiled and nodded. “Wherever there’s been flooding, and the water’s evaporated. So, at the bottom of a cliff near a waterfall, or on a seasonal riverbank…”

He didn’t know this territory very well yet, but he supposed their best bet would be to proceed downwards. He started back down the path, waiting for Valette to take the lead again.

“Know anyplace like that?” he asked. Hopefully she would know; she seemed somewhat more used to these mountains than he was. At least, he sure hoped she knew how to get back down. …Otherwise, they might be stuck up here for a while.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
11-21-2023, 08:56 PM
She thought about places like that but realized she didn't know any. "I only joined recently," she admitted sheepishly. "However, we can look at the lands and how they lie. Then we can deduct things from there," she agreed. She looked at the slopes and their surroundings but there wasn't much indication that there was a river. "We can go lower and travel around the base of the cliffs to see if there are such deposits!," she offered.

"I am really liking this different angle, Ilya. Thank you," she complimented him. She often would think in the way of the beast, not he the way of the land. She had learned to look at landscapes, mostly for navigation point of view, however this was excellent. Especially with animals in this specific biome.
the staff team luvs u
11-22-2023, 03:24 AM
Ilya wasn’t sure how to deal with compliments. Although age and experience had tempered his emotions, for the most part, he still struggled to accept praise. It was not that he didn’t like it, so much as he didn’t think he deserved it.

“Oh, it’s just a few tricks I’ve picked up over the years,” he said with a chuckle. “I’ve just always been a bit clumsy. Best if I let nature do as much work as possible.”

He’d never been a very graceful hunter, but he had found ways to keep himself fed.

They were on the move again, and as they made their way downwards, he watched for any signs of their quarry. After some time, he spotted a little creek trickling down the side of the mountain—leaving the rock damp and smooth where it passed. This was too small to be a source of minerals by itself…but it did mean there might be more water nearby.

“I think we’re getting closer,” he told Valette. Up ahead, he saw an opening in the cliff side. Could the goats have ventured in there?

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
11-22-2023, 08:50 PM
Valette slowly turned her lips into a smile. "I agree," she hummed. She followed him. He seemed to the the one that was most knowledgeable about the lay of the lands. She wanted to learn how he looked at their surroundings. Maybe she could ask Hiero next time she would see him about these salt deposits. For now it was a good activity to keep them busy. She noticed the small creek and studied it. 

She looked at Ilya. She tried to sniff but didn't get a lot of salt. "Can you explain why you think this one isn't good enough?," she asked curiously, very willing to learn. She quirked up her lips. "Alright, I will follow your lead," she hummed. Trying to look for another water source or what could have been one. She also tried to look for signs if there were goats or signs they came by here.
the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
11-28-2023, 10:36 PM
“This stream’s too small. Not strong enough to wear the rock down,” Ilya explained. “But it’s a good sign that there’ll be a bigger waterfall nearby. We should be able to hear it before we see it.”

He carefully crept along the ledge, moving further down the mountain. Sure enough, he heard the quiet patter of a waterfall—not a massive one, but reasonably large. Through a stand of trees nearby, he glimpsed a glitter of running water. And a flash of white fur.

“Over there, I think.” The rapids would hopefully block the sound of their approach, but he kept his voice low anyway.
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
12-03-2023, 01:50 PM
Valette took another look at the stream and then nodded. His explanation made sense. She saved that knowledge way for later, knowing that it might serve her in the future. She dipped her head in thanks to the male and then followed. She also heard the sound of the waterfall. That was promising. Valette instantly moved more into a hunting stalk as she moved forward. To the woman it was almost natural to walk into a crouch. "I agree," she commented. She moved in closer. She could see the mountain goats.

She kept her cover as she watched as the goats were licking away at the rock, some even leaning down to drink from the rapids. Valette licked her lips. She never had goat, but she was eager to hunt them now. Her hazel green eyes scanning over each of them. Perhaps she could stalk close enough to grab one, but they were rather stocky to take by itself. She spotted a female, she assumed, by the rocks, eating and licking the rock. She could creep closer. "I'm going to try for that one," she whispered in hushed tones, pointing her muzzle at the one. "Just to test how close I can come, and how fast they are."
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
12-03-2023, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2023, 09:17 PM by Ilya. Edited 1 time in total.)
Ilya followed her gaze to her intended target, nodding wordlessly. As quietly as he could, he crept away from her around to the other side of the hollow. If the goat tried to escape that way, he’d be able to cut it off; otherwise, he’d leave the rest to Valette.

He crouched down under what little undergrowth cover remained, trusting the shadows to hide his bulk more than the leaves themselves. He peered through the branches with vivid golden eyes.
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
12-05-2023, 07:53 PM
Dice roll was 8, + 10 was a success

Valette watched the path the male was going and took note of it. The female crept closer as the goat was distracted. She made sure to approach it from a certain angle that she assumed it would run towards Ilya. When she deemed herself close enough the woman shot forward. The dark female showing off her speed and agility as she charged boldly. Perhaps too boldly because a goat was far more nimble than a heavy bison that needed to move. Valette was caught off guard by the height of the jump and the quick feet of the goat. The one she had targeted easily leaped out of the way, and also in the direction she hadn't expected. 

Instead of running to Ilya, the goat easily jumped up the steep slope and climbed higher. Valette snarled and tried to go after it, but her body wasn't made for the cliffs. Her claws tried to find purchase in the rock but she was slowly sliding down it. She jumped down, only to jump up again. The goat had bested her. She huffed as she elegantly landed on all her four paws again, clearly her ego a little bruised. "Well, they are very different from bison and deer," she muttered mostly to herself. She had scared all the goats back up the cliff. But this was a good spot to try again and hunt them.
the staff team luvs u
12-06-2023, 08:03 AM
Alas, it seemed Valette had missed her mark. He stood up and shook his fur out, trying to get some of the leaves and twigs loose.

“They’ll be back,” Ilya tried to reassure her. “Now that we know where they gather, we can always come back here.”

He smiled. He looked up at the sky, wondering how long they’d spent up in the mountains—and he remembered his earlier predicament. Their search for the goats, at least, had brought him to ground he thought he could navigate from…but it would likely be safest to just follow Valette.

“The others might like to know about this spot too,” Ilya said. “Should we head back soon?”

the staff team luvs u
12-07-2023, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2023, 07:37 PM by Valette. Edited 1 time in total.)
Valette sounded a soft sigh. "Yeah. This is a good spot," she agreed to him. "Thank you for sharing your knowledge," she spoke, looking really grateful. This had been a fascinating day for her. She learned a lot not only about her new environment but also about a new type of large prey. She walked back with Ilya, she was definitely going to tell Greyback about this tonight. "I will make sure to tell Hieronymous as well," she offered, as they walked back. 

- fin -

thank you!!!

[/b][/b]
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top