Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

The price of so-called pefection

10-19-2023, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2023, 02:09 PM by Greyback.)
Morning showed her face against the broken horizon and with it Greyback rose in the company of his Valette. Sleep ladened face, he would gently awake her before making haste with last nights meal- a stubborn elk having been stripped of it's favor to rest atop the stable slop of his back—an olive branch for the queen in hopes to quell any anger he was sure to face for his unmarked absence; a point he had done well to seal his lips on when it came to that anxiety. If asked he would speak of nothing more than it being a gift.

Upon arriving he would glance back to study Val's face, his own ladden with exhaustion from the trip.
"This is it."
@Valette
@Ira
the staff team luvs u
[Image: de1p5cm-d003c0a6-ee96-49a9-a482-e0841ccb0f35.gif]
10-19-2023, 08:26 PM
They had been on the road for quite a while. Valette didn't mind it though, she was with Greyback. Though, it was strange to be on the road with him since they had always been so... settled. It was nice to see the different territories and places. Now they had arrived though. She watched the peaks before her and realized that it was very different from the open plains of Easthollow. It almost reminded her a bit of Silvertip Mountain where she had met Steady. Valette licked her lips. Joining a pack, a strange idea. Ira was here too, but Greyback prepared her that the woman might nog recognize her. 

Greyback was carrying an offer. Valette didn't realize at first they would need it but she trusted his judgement. He looked tired. They had a long journey. She dipped her head. "Different," she admitted with a mere whisper. She would be okay, she would have Greyback. She could adjust while she was unaware of her tail carried perhaps a little higher than was usual for a loner. "I hope she recognizes me," Valette admitted.
the staff team luvs u
Vanderfell Woods
Misc Skill
10-20-2023, 03:03 AM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2023, 06:20 PM by Ira. Edited 1 time in total.)
As fate would have it, her path led to what once was familiar...or, perhaps, only in another life. In reality, the only face she knew was that of the man who claimed once sired her. A debate she had long since put to rest...even if he held no authority or guidance in her life today. It had been some time since Greyback was seen at the Summit, and quite frankly she was uncertain if he ever would be again. Even after her children had taken to calling him their grandfather, the man never seemed content with his place.

A part had been missing, though she believed it was her who held the piece he desired. Locked in the depths of a stony heart, he vanished...

Now a new face trailed at his side, with the labor of a successful hunt slung across the mountain man's back. Greyback— you have returned. Her steps slowed as a wave of surprise washed over her, only to be gone with a blink ...and with a friend? Maybe it was not her who held his missing piece after all.

the staff team luvs u
10-20-2023, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2023, 02:49 PM by Greyback. Edited 2 times in total.)
The large man was quick to press the slope of his forehead against Valette's own, the warmth and weight of himself hopefully quelling any anxiety as if to sa 'It'll be okay', 'I am here'. Different this place was, and no doubt confusing to her, but it was home. His home—now her's.

He did not know how long they stayed wrapped in eachother with only the bitter fall wind to accompany outisde their warmth. It could of been minutes, hours, ages but such things did not worry him. All that mattered was Her;Us. And by the time he sought to pull, nimble steps caught his attention, and judging by the steady gait he did not have to wonder long.

"Ira," He greeted, though daughter' would of been preferred. "I have.." A dry swallow  hid behind the thick fur of his throat. "It has been quite a while. I apologize for any slight it caused you and the kids. The mind tends to wander when not preocupied with work though I'm happy to announce I have found what I was searching for..." He would turn to look at Valette, gentle eyes encouraging her to step forward.

"This is my heart; Valette."

the staff team luvs u
10-20-2023, 03:44 PM
Valette was glad for the comfort. She didn't know what was going to happen while being in a pack. She liked to think she was adaptable. She would make it work, for Greyback. This was his home. Ira was here as well, his grandkids. Valette's stomach twisted because they weren't her grandkids. Her mind moved to Arlette and how harsh she had been on her when falling pregnant. Well, not technically falling, it had been a choice. Valette's mind was quick to snap towards the incoming wolf. Ira.

Valette recognized her instantly. She offered a smile in greeting. She let Greyback talk first and make those introductions. Valette returned a soft and warm smile at Greyback as he had introduced her so sweetly. Always the gentleman, at least in her eyes. "Ira, nice to see you." She almost added 'again'. Ira was older here, older than she remembered her. "I-- I do remember you, from before. Greyback has already told me that you might not remember me. So, I assume a fresh start is in order. I hope you will allow me in your pack so I can be with y-- my love, Greyback," she offered. Disliking her own slip up, but she quickly pushed it away and offered her a friendly smile.
the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
10-20-2023, 08:10 PM
The kids. Right, he had left before her delivery. The youngest were not even aware of his existence, and he, the ones who never would be... That was a discussion for another time, though. It appeared he had good news on his lips. Hopefully this woman would be good for Vanderfell as well. No, I know naught of you...but if Greyback speaks fondly, then I shall share his trust. He has yet to wrong us. He never mentioned another woman past her mother, but then again, she never asked.

The pleasure is mine. She briefly dipped her head before continuing, Vanderfell is always in need of capable paws... I will not forbid you from seeing the children so long as Greyback accompanies you, though if you two are to be mated then you must both earn the right to children. Members of the Hedrad automatically have the Skald's permission to breed. Her gaze lingered Valette before flicking to amber eyes much like her own.

This is law, no matter one's ties. If they are unfamiliar, I am sure Greyback will teach you our ways. Her days were busied with small bodies and hungry maws. Surely her so-called father would have time to give his woman the grand overview. All wolves must pull their weight. We focus on improving our talents and teaching others...so what skills might you offer Vanderfell?

the staff team luvs u
10-21-2023, 09:08 PM
"This," Greyback would interject. His neck and head bowed to the earth for the heavy pelt to roll forth. It landed heavy against the sandy patch nestled within the tall grass, a resonating thud echoing outwards which no doubt scared the field mice housed below. While his face was a facade of ever-lasting stone the older man couldn't help but be a little proud at the size of such a gift.

"This fotune is Valette's; She's a big game hunter with expertise on strategy."  While it is not of a bison, it no doubt competed with seasoned bucks they've witnessed below the mountains. The thought of bringing up Easthollow was heavy on his mind but knew reminding his daughter of which could not be remembered may be regarded as awkward. Such a thing could be brought about another time, and no doubt it would judging by the flicker of ache against Valette's face. Greyback felt for her— truly. He didn't wish this pain among anyone, not even his enemys.

And then there was the subject of whelps for which Greyback decided to clear his throat on instead of speak. While he wasn't ready to annouce on it the truth was of course it had crossed his mind. He was but a male in the presence of his mate.

the staff team luvs u
10-23-2023, 10:26 AM
Valette nodded quietly. On the one paw sad that Ira didn't remember hear, but on the other that she might form a new friendship with her. She would at least do her best to settle into the territory and the pack. Ira continued to explain that she would trust Greyback's judgement, for which she was glad. Then she continued about them being mates and even mentioning pups. She had not thought of that yet. She hadn't even considered it since before Greyback had been simply too old. She could have-- they could have another family. She instantly wanted it. Hedrad. She would have to remember that word. Also Skald. She would ask Greyback this later. "Of course. I am certain that Greyback will teach me your ways," she assured. 

She was about to reply when Greyback showed the kill. She nodded in confirmation. She used to specialize in bison, and she would need to get familiar with the grounds and fauna that lived here. It was much like Silvertip Mountain and where she had to get used to the steep hills. She hoped that Greyback hadn't praised her too much, she was used to open fields. "Yes. I don't know much about your populations or if you have other hunters, but my skills lie mostly in that department. I am also good with delivering messages and finding my way, though, being new in these lands I'd like to focus more on the hunting aspect. I think that is something I can help the pack with the most."
the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
10-23-2023, 06:20 PM
Ira took a step back as the kill was dropped between them. There was no doubt it was impressive, especially if it had only been the two to fell it. While Valette filled in the gaps, she would inspect a bit closer. The meat would do well for her children, perhaps even spare Hiero a meal without effort. My husband and I have been the primary hunters of Vanderfell for some time now. He has a habit of fishing the rivers in the Run below, but I much prefer the meat of elk. A faint smile quipped the corner of her mouth as she glanced towards Valette with new appreciation.

The only other noteworthy hunter is my eldest daughter, but...her fire is unpredictable. Ira sighed, unsure how else to explain to someone new and unaware of the burden her family must navigate. I'm afraid the gods were less kind to her, or perhaps they believed she needed a lesson I would be unable to provide. She does not feel or smell the way we do. If she is not careful, she will push herself too far and injure herself. We try to protect her, but she'd much rather pave her own path...she is to work with small prey only.

But that was a conversation for later. I am sure you will do fine. Ullarcraig is plentiful, even through winter. Deer and elk roam the woods, whereas the cliffs hold goats. They are more tricky if you are unfamiliar with the terrain, but a worthwhile meal. I will not talk your ear off though. There is much to see for yourself and I'm sure you are both tired from your travels.

the staff team luvs u
10-26-2023, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2023, 08:38 PM by Greyback. Edited 1 time in total.)
Idly the man stood by as the two conversed. His amber eyes now reflecting on the broken horizon spanned across the summit. What little the dipping sun had left he sought to observe in the streaks of ivory covering the mountain tops; a gentle haze like that out of a dream.

How different it looked now that Valette was here...

What now seemed a cascade purpled pink, so much to never get tired of, felt heavied on the heart like a familiar stone. Greyback did well to remind himself this wasnt what it appeared. Bison did not roam the well trodded grasslands nor did trees whisper familiar words in lullabys for it's children. What greyback longed for, What Valette longed for was long done and burried. No matter how fevertly the heart ached it could not make the impossible possible. This wasn't Easthollow. Not ever.

This was Vanderfell; bones provided for those to sprout new life on. Perhaps ones they could-

As the two wrapped up Valette's initation his attention would be drawn back with a sullen smile and distant eyes. He would dip his head in departing from his daughter's borders, a cordial response trained in favor for the access of the land, a gentle worded good bye spilling from his tongue like laquer in addendum.

He would apologize at the later time for his folded tongue.

the staff team luvs u
10-28-2023, 05:22 PM
Valette listened to the woman in charge and nodded. "I am not one to fish, so I will make sure to bring some elk home if I have enough wolf power with me," she offered. Perhaps this was good. A simple life where she didn't have to make tough choices where she could just exist, spend time with Greyback, hunt and explore. She was feeling more positive about this. The woman continued about her daughter. Valette just nodded, only small prey, got it. Perhaps she could help the girl with her fire, then again, maybe not right away. She didn't want to ruin this for Greyback and her.

"Thank you, it all sounds exciting. I will make sure to explore the territories around the mountain as well." Valette then looked at Greyback. He seemed zoned out. She smiled. Valette made sure to thank Ira. The conversation finished, and she would follow him where he went.  Already seeing some of the territory, and quickly finding the incline inside the territory. It would take some time, but she was willing to settle here. But at heart, she was a plains wolf. For now, travels had indeed tired her, and she was glad for a rest. 

- fin -
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top