Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Put my heart in its recipe

Evening Overcast 30° F
AW
04-04-2021, 09:53 PM
^^
The group was nearby and Reiko felt restless. Leaving @Izumi and @Old Man Druth to do their own thing while Reiko did hers, she continued to search for the prince and princess, from one end of the seemingly endless fields to the next. She did not mind if one of her traveling companions had chosen to follow her here, but there was no desire to force them either. They were all busy in their own rights, and spreading out could aid in their search - the pale Empress would return to them before nightfall after all.

Or so, that was at least the plan.

The rocky terrain was strange to her. Every now and then her skin and coat would snag on some prickly brush. The scrapes and cuts left behind were shallow, but the sting lingered on the young mother's skin. What alerted her the most here, now that she was alone... was the smell of something she was not familiar with, felines, large ones, they were not common where she was from and so she remained close to the stones and prickly brush as she searched for any signs of the children she had lost.

As the snow now had come and gone with spring in the air, she had no cover of which to speak of. Her pale coat sticking out like a sore thumb among the grey and dark stones, all she could do was hope that nothing dangerous would come her way while she searched here as well... the sooner she made sure neither of her kids were here, the quicker she can get out and return to the other two.
^^
the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
04-07-2021, 02:00 AM
Julooke had moved on from where her first memories of this place had come to pass. She wasn't really sure where she was going, but she felt the need to go instead of staying in one spot. Why on earth she picked a dreary place, filled with stones and the smell of something dangerous, she had no idea. But, that's where her paws led her. She was on high alert, for both friend and foe. 

When the other wolf came into view, Julooke almost thought she was looking at a reflection of herself. The female was summit white, just the slightest bit shorter that Julooke, and her fur fluffed in different spots than her own. But, still, the similarities were amazing. Julooke's ears perk and she gave a chuff to get the girl's attention. She didn't want to startle her, so she stopped in her tracks. Maybe the other female wouldn't want company. But, just in case she did, Julooke's tail made its first wave of hope near her hocks.
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 02:27 AM
^^
Reiko thought she was being cautious, slinking between the stones and shrubs to bring as little attention to herself as possible - and so when a chuff, even as softly as this one, echoed in her ears, it startled her just enough to twist around and duck. Eyes darting to see who it was that was calling out and if it was to her of all no-other-individuals present.

Peeking out from the shrub she hid behind, the Empress from another time, another land, saw someone she could only describe as 'looking like family'. With such a pale coat and gentle, slender complexion - all except for her golden eyes which were hard to see at this distance would have made her easily mistaken for an Izuka member.

The gentle sway of the stranger's tail encouraged the nervous mother to come out, interested in who this could be, why someone like her would be out here on their own, too. “Hello.” She called out softly, not wanting to yell in a place like this to call out to them and gain unwanted attention.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 01:20 PM
She hadn't expected her look-alike to suddenly dash behind a shrub, and it caused Julooke to slink back ever so slightly. She felt bad for scaring the other female; it hadn't been her intention. But, after a moment, the stranger poked her head out just barely enough to look beyond it. Julooke stayed where she was, afraid any forward movement would send the other running the opposite direction. 

A simple, soft-spoken word had Julooke's tail rising in a full wag. Hello, she mimicked in word choice and tone. It was obvious the other did not want to bring any more attention about, and Julooke would respect that. I don't know where I am, she confessed softly. Or, how I got here. Her memories were muddled, and even over the past day, had not gotten any better. The "before" time thoughts were flashes here and there, and seemed to only confuse her more. Could the other female help her?
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 09:53 PM
^^
Cautious with her movements, the pale woman looked before leaving her little shelter to come a little closer to the almost family-looking woman. With her body closer to the ground, she kept her tail flickering happily behind her in a pleasant greeting. Hoping to get a little closer so they can still speak without drawing too much attention to themselves.

Not wishing to invade any personal space, she stopped just a few feet away. A comfortable distance to talk without causing too much of an echo. “Unfortunately no... and I haven't met anyone who would have that answer for you.” It brought her so much sadness that she had no answers for anyone about how any of them had gotten here. Taking a seat where she stood, the snowy feathered boa of hers wrapped around her toes in a tender embrace.

“I've met many already with the same questions, myself included.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-08-2021, 01:08 AM
^^ The other woman cautiously approached her and Julooke was careful not to make any sudden movements. She wanted to show that she wasn't a threat, and kept her head lowered while her tail wagged. The stranger seemed friendly, so Julooke wasn't worried that she would be attacked. 

To her dismay, it seemed neither the stranger, or anyone else she had met, could give Julooke the answers she sought. Her gaze went to the ground and her face fell to show her disappointment, but after a few moments, she shrugged it off. Maybe answers wouldn't come right away. But, surely, there had to be someone who could tell her something. 

In the meantime, Julooke could do what she did best: make friends. She looked back up and introduced herself. I'm Julooke. Her voice was soft and lowered, since it seemed the other female didn't want to draw attention to the pair.^^

the staff team luvs u
04-08-2021, 02:06 AM
^^
The disappointment in the woman's eyes was evident. It made Reiko's heartache. She wanted to help, if she had any answers she would have loved to tell them all. To spill the truth up onto the ground and leave nothing to secrecy. But she had nothing, nothing but lies that might aid temporarily but leave nothing good for the future to hold. “I'm sorry.” The words ushered on nothing but a whisper, honest and hopeful that someday she would have more to give.

“Reiko Izuka.” A quick bow was offered by nodding her head briefly. Still ever watchful for their surroundings should one of the dangerous smells be lingering among the rocks. “May I ask what brings you to this place Julooke?” Not meaning to be invasive, she simply hoped that both of them could find what they were looking for here and move on before any of the dangers lurking here would find them.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-08-2021, 12:39 PM
^^ The comforting words reached her ears, and Julooke tried to give a soft smile. She understood that the other female felt bad, but it wasn't her fault. She didn't know what she didn't know. It's okay, she whispered back. 

Nice to meet you, Reiko, she said. I'm not really sure, she admitted. I woke up in a stranger place. I don't remember how I got here, or why I'm here. My brain is kind of fuzzy. I didn't know what to do, so I just started walking, and here I am. That was the story so far. 

^^

the staff team luvs u
04-08-2021, 07:47 PM
^^
She listened to every word Julooke spoke about how she found herself here, it was a familiar story. Reiko seemed to remember more from a time before this but not anything about how they wound up where they were, or why her children were nowhere to be found. She remembered home, the people from there, her husband, her lover, but as to how she woke up where she did, alone, was beyond her.

None of these lands were familiar, none of which they had traveled across before - and now she was not just wandering for a safe place to raise her kids, but she was wandering to find her kids.

“I don't like the smell of this place, it smells dangerous.” She admitted finally. “Perhaps we can talk more in a location away from here?” At least guide the girl away from such a place that smelled of larger felines than Reiko had ever imagined. She wanted to search a little longer for Hotaru and Haruki, but with no scent of them on the wind or ground, the Empress was comfortable enough to bring this girl to a safer place than this.
^^
we don't have to start a new thread if they move, we can just say they walked where the smell of mountain lions is less strong!

the staff team luvs u
04-11-2021, 10:00 PM
^^ 
Reiko admitted she didn't like the smells in the area, that they were dangerous. Julooke took a few sniffs, and silently agreed.  There was something there, and instincts told Julooke it wasn't good. She nodded to the other female, and took a few steps forward before pausing. Julooke didn't know the area, and therefore didn't know which way was safe. She would rather follow Reiko. If you know of a safer place, I'll go with you, she said quietly. 

Julooke was a trusting creature, and didn't think twice about wanting to go with her. She obviously didn't have anyone else to turn to here. As a social wolf, she needed others. She didn't like being alone. So, following Reiko was a no-brainer. 

^^

the staff team luvs u
04-13-2021, 12:26 AM
^^
With one last glance over to the hills, wishing she could see that familiar flash of white, she was left with nothing to show after scouring these dangerous smelling hills other than another lost female. At least her visit here was not all for naught, but instead, she may be helping another find their way out of here and into safer territories away from whatever scent lingered here.

She stayed near Julooke's side as she guided the girl down the path that she took up, knowing at least with its familiarity she could tell if something was off on their way down. Thankfully their journey was uneventful, the hills opening up the more relaxed prairies that blossomed with the tendrils of waving grasses greeting them in the less-smelly lands below the rocks.

Here her demeanor changed, feeling soothed by the lack of pungent odour invading her senses and setting off every internal alarm off - she turned to smile at Julooke with a comforting wave of her tail. “Much better~” She sighed happily. “Julooke, did you wake up there among the rocks? Alone?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-17-2021, 02:14 AM
^^ She dutifully followed the other female, and watched her step along the way. The rocks could be dangerous, and she didn't want to fall. She could feel Reiko's energy change from scared and nervous to much more relaxed as they cleared the rocky mountain. She even gave Julooke a smile, which was returned readily. 

She shook her head side to side. Alone, yes, but not here. I woke up in a pretty field not too far away. I thought I'd go looking for someone I knew, or somewhere I knew, but... So far, just new faces. Which wasn't exactly a bad thing. But, so far, new faces didn't give her answers to her past. 

^^

the staff team luvs u
04-20-2021, 01:36 AM
omg I almost forgot I started a draft of this LOL

^^
Seeing Julooke smile in return made the slightly older woman brighten up even further. Her tail swayed gently, happily behind her. Then it all faded, the smile turned to concern as she listened to Julooke's story, and her tail swayed to a stop.

“I am afraid... that it is an all too familiar tale.” She couldn't even be certain that the individuals she searched for were here. She hung onto hope that her own children wandered these lands waiting for her to find them, and yet, it was so far a fruitless journey. How could she reassure someone else of their hopes to find familiar faces when her own were left unanswered?

“Do you remember anything of a life before waking up here?” She was grasping at straws but there were only so many that were offered in this place. If Julooke remembered anything at all, she wasn't even certain she could help her find anything. “You know... I have a small group wandering if you want to have some company while you search? We are all searching for something.”

Even if their group would soon dwindle down to two.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-20-2021, 01:57 AM
^^ It seemed that it wasn't just Julooke and Druth that shared the experience of waking up in an unfamiliar place. Reiko, it seemed, had been there, too. She tried to rack her brain for any clear memories before answering her new friend. Most of it is really fuzzy, like nothing comes in real clear, she admitted. 

[size=small] [/size]After a few moments, she followed up. I remember Verrine, my... friend. She knew she liked Verrine more than that, but she couldn't remember if they were more than that. I feel like I had family, close family, but I can't see them. I can't remember their names. She was hoping that those memories would become clearer as the days went on. 

Julooke's ears perked when Reiko said she was traveling with a group. She nodded her head, knowing that going with a group would be much safer than being alone. I would like that, thank you, she replied with a smile.
^^

the staff team luvs u
04-20-2021, 02:34 AM
^^
Gentle grows raised in an apologetic arc. There was unfortunately nothing Reiko could do for her now other than offer some companionship as they search for their own answers. Then, the girl starting piecing some things together right before her eyes and the Empress' eyes lit up.

It was a beautiful sight to watch unfold before her very eyes. Julooke began to remember names, pieces of a life before this and it was a step in the right direction. Verrine, she nodded at the name. She would remember this name should she encounter someone with it in the future. “We will look for them together.” With a gentle smile and tilt of her head, she reassured the girl that they were no longer alone in this strange place.

“We would love to have you Julooke, for as long as you deem necessary.” And just like that, their duo became a trio once more. “I will introduce you to @Izumi, the others I am not so sure will join us.” Funnily enough, Julooke already met Druth a time before this. “Come!” She pleaded happily, excited to introduce the women.
^^
if you want I can tag her in the more recent threads if you wanna have her be a part of them! otherwise can be mentioned if you wanna read~ depending how long Julooke is with them of course!

the staff team luvs u
04-21-2021, 01:39 AM
^^ It put the snow-white girl at ease instantly to know that she was no longer alone. Reiko may not have been the family of her past, but she was a new friend, and she gave Julooke hope. She gave her friend a smile to convey her happiness that they would find them together. 

It seemed it was time to go meet the others, and Julooke nodded as she, once again, begun to follow Reiko. I hope they like me, she said aloud. Would they be okay that Reiko was bringing her? She was suddenly nervous, but maybe they would be as nice as Reiko was.
^^

the staff team luvs u
04-21-2021, 09:04 PM
^^
Watching a sense of ease fall over Julooke like some kind of comfort blanket reassured Reiko to know she did the right thing in offering for her to come along. They weren't much, and she would learn that soon enough, but at least it was more than the nothing and no one she had right here and now, wandering out in the vast new world knowing nothing of it just as they did. It was a frightening thought, even more so now she was happy to have had @Aerasha, @Old Man Druth, and @Izumi even if only one remained now from the once fellowship.

At least she was never alone, not for long anyway after waking up in the Tundra. For that, she was forever grateful.

Excitedly she pranced around, guiding Julooke to where the others waited for them. At the sound of her unease, Reiko went around to Julooke's side and nudged her shoulder with her own. “I am certain they will.” She beamed. It was difficult to speak for others in how they would feel about someone else joining, but they had no quarrels with the random new faces thus far!

So as far as she was concerned, Julooke would be no different. They would love to have her too.
^^
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top