Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Live for each moment.

Evening Partly Cloudy
P
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
04-04-2021, 02:29 PM

In the higher reaches of the summit, it had snowed through the afternoon. Quicksilver had stolen glances toward the peaks as the midday mist burned away to reveal their pale caps, and the thought of such low temperatures made his hide shudder. He'd been content to see Spring creep in to dominate the cold season and, as he picked his way across the rugged terrain that day in search of new growth to create a herb garden of his own, he thought fondly of how he would accompany his mother on such trips.

Still, he could not remember her face or the sound of her voice, not even the way she smelled, but there was enough knowledge to remind him that she'd been a selfless creature. His life's work had been to provide care and sanctuary for others, and as a boy he'd loved learning from her. Only the basics remained: Quicksilver recalled how poppy seeds could ease one's pain, how ginger could ease nausea, how lavender might help soothe anxiety.

As he stared down at a young sprout that was yet to flower with purple, Reiko's soft features appeared in the eye of his mind. He took a moment to think fondly of the snowflower, before he set about pawing the loose earth beneath the plant to reveal buried roots.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Untitled_Artwork.png]
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
04-05-2021, 07:50 PM
^^
Hieronymous kept himself busy. He would catch various small prey such as rabbits and fish to help keep caches full, as well as try to and map out the lands and familiarize himself with their new home. There were many interesting things to see, one of which would be at the top of the mountain that he had yet to make the journey to its end to see what he imagined would be a beautiful sight.

Such a sight he still felt unworthy of seeing just yet. That he had much to do elsewhere than simple pleasantries of seeing what laid at the peak of the mountain. The pack was still rather small and there was just far too much to do to keep things safe and comfortable for everyone involved - at least, with their numbers, hunting wasn't as much of an issue to keep everyone fed.

Speaking of the few packmates, one, in particular, didn't even tickle his memory like the warm coloured woman or Ira. A silvery male, one of which Heironymous was going to cross paths with now as he stared down at a blossoming flower. Well, now was a better time than never so long as he wasn't busy Hiero supposed! “Good evening! Uh...” It took a second. “Quicksilver, am I right?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
04-09-2021, 08:35 AM
Careful with his claws, the pace of Quicksilver's digging eased as he pulled earth from the plant's delicate roots. Already feeling a little guilty for uprooting it, the last thing he wanted to do was damage it in his haste. So concentrated on the task he'd set himself, the young druid failed to notice the arrival of another until he announced a very unexpected greeting.

Quicksilver jerked his head back with a gasp, and wide powder blue eyes were swift to find familiarity in the features of a pack-mate. “Oh, hi! Uh,” he huffed some loose dirt from his whiskers, then smiled warmly as he gathered himself, “yeah! That's me.”

Awkwardness rose within him then, to have not remembered the mottled wolf's name. He gawked for a moment before averting his gaze in submissive apology: “I'm so sorry, I don't...?”

the staff team luvs u
04-12-2021, 08:02 PM
^^
“Oh! I didn't mean to startle you.” He chuckled awkwardly, seeing the reaction given at his sudden appearance. Well, sudden perhaps to Quicksilver here, while Hiero honestly didn't think he was sneaking up on anyone. Not intentionally at least. The younger man struggled with returning the courtesy of remembering the painted man's name, to which his smile only grew.

“It's okay, it's a hard one to remember.” A mouthful really, as some would call it. “I'm Hieronymous.” He said with a quick dip of his head. “Hiero is a little easier to remember if you'd rather use that.” Hopefully that would make the younger man little more comfortable around his packmate, there was really no need for him to act so submissive around the court jester of a man after all.

“What ch'a doing that?” Wanting to move on from anything uncomfortable that Quicksilver might feel, he peered over to the flowers he was digging up with perked and curious ears, eyes wide and glittering with mischievous nosiness.
^^
the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
04-15-2021, 02:54 PM
Hieronymous was, indeed, a mouthful, one that Quicksilver knew he would struggle to remember in future. So caught up in trying to recall who he was and where he came from, he felt he was doing a disservice to his pack-mates in knowing so little about them. He glanced away from the other male as he offered a shortened version of his calling, and felt his cheeks flush between velvet furs.

“Hiero,” he repeated, and an awkward beat of laughter followed as he peeked shyly toward him again - fearful that he would still pronounce it wrong and perhaps cause offence, “I appreciate it.”

His white-dipped tail gave a soft little wave, and he brightened considerably as attention was turned toward his original task. Quicksilver pointed his nose toward the lavender and leaned close to gently bump at the buds with his snout. “Lavender,” he commented, and blinked up before carrying on: “I remember that my mother had a garden where she grew her own herbs and plants to help others. She... taught me a few things, before -” he stalled, having been unable to unearth the memory of whatever had separated him from his family, “uh, you know. I hope to establish one of my own here.”

the staff team luvs u
04-15-2021, 07:40 PM
^^
Hiero was a difficult one to insult, especially when it came to such small things as being able to pronounce certain words or names that felt strange on someone's virgin tongue. He would not hold such things against anyone, especially not a packmate who obviously tried their best. So, he smiled when Quicksilver voiced his appreciation over meeting him halfway and left it at that.

His own painted tail swayed as Silver's mood took a turn for the better. Turning his attention on the flowers he was working on before until he was so rudely interrupted by Hieronymous trotting in no invitation necessary. “Oooh!” He paced forward to take a sniff of the blossoms. The strong perfume emanating from them was one of the few things he could smell at all. It was a soothing scent, he liked it.

“I think a garden would be lovely.” Though the rocks and tall trees suited Ira very well, Hieronymous was a romantic and enjoyed the little things in life, stuff like flowers that brought a splash of colour to their normally grey and green surroundings. “Were you thinking of just a flower garden or is this for medicinal purposes?” He was honestly just curious, seafoam eyes shifting to the corner of their sockets to glance over at Quicksilver and give him his full attention.

The young man was a nervous one, even he could see it. So perhaps he could chip away at that with some friendly conversation.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
04-18-2021, 12:05 PM
Hiero stepped forward to close the distance between them, eagerness in his movement as he dipped his muzzle to reach for the disturbed lavender. The silverwhite beamed, elated to see such such enthusiasm from his pack-mate, and his confidence felt bolstered immediately. “Yeah?” Quicksilver chirped, pale eyes aglow with excited anticipation to have found someone to share in his appreciation for Mother Nature's fine details.

“Well...” he hummed softly, in contemplation over the patchwork wolf's question. His original intention had been to provide a small service to Vanderfell by providing a source of herbal relief for minor ailments, a skill he intended to nurture and grow, but Hiero's enquiry was enough to rouse fresh pondering over his exterior design capabilities. “I guess it could be both? A lot of herbs bloom with delicate flowers, and these -” he motioned to the young lavender with a cant of his pale snout, “are really pretty when in full bloom. I think... I think they might be a new favourite.”

He would grow them in abundance, for as long as Reiko remained on his mind.

the staff team luvs u
04-19-2021, 10:01 PM
^^
“Absolutely!” He matched the silver lad's excitement with his own glittering eyes. “I can't speak for everyone else but at least for me, more colour would be lovely on this mountain, especially the soothing scent of lavender~” Even just thinking about it had him sit down onto his haunches and bring his front paws to his cheeks, pleased with the idea of just napping in such a relaxed place.

Nodding along to Quicksilver's explanation, both, both is good. Both pleasant for the senses and useful in medicine. Nothing could be better. @Ira couldn't even dispute it either if the sight of flowers on her mountain bugged her in any way.

Unaware of the special lady in Quicksilver's mind, Hieronymous just nodded along. “A wonderful choice.” Putting his paws back down from his face to the ground, he stood with an eager smile. “I could help you if you'd like? Be an extra maw to help carry them, I can help dig too~”
^^
the staff team luvs u
08-11-2021, 08:54 AM
Already, he liked Hiero. Quicksilver loved that they were on the same page, and was overjoyed to have someone interested in nature just as he was. Appreciation for the world and its flora was something ingrained into his being, rooted deep enough for him to know that it'd always been there. There was much to remember, much still to learn, and it was wonderful to begin a new friendship with shared fondness.

“The lavender has many uses,” he looked softly toward the young flowers, trying to visualise the garden of his youth where he'd spent many a long Summer day watching his mother work, listening to her answer questions he did not need to ask: “to ease anxiety and depression, and help give a more restful sleep. It even soothes small injuries, like bug bites.” Useful in the approach of horse fly season!

Hiero offered assistance, which the silverwhite greatly appreciated. He accepted Hiero's company with a smile and talked him through the process, long enough to cast a certain snowflower to the further reaches of his mind - just for a time.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top