Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

ghosts

Late Evening Overcast
07-26-2023, 01:18 AM
Annika recalled far too much of the lands to ever think they had been a dream. It was somewhere within the mountains that she had finally been blessed with pups, though nowadays she no longer knew where her daughters were. Perhaps that meant she had done a good job raising them? They were independent, like their mother, and she doubted very much that they would ever succumb to anything unless they willed it to be so. Instead of focusing her efforts on finding her daughters, then, she turned her attention onto her half-sister and the pretty she-wolf from before. Whatever had happened in the past, Annika was keen on leaving it there. She wasn't interested in anything more than companionship for her golden years, thank you. Drama could see itself out.

Unfortunately, it seemed her efforts would go to waste as any scent of the former pack seemed to be gone. Washed away. Wiped off the face of the mountain. Annika frowned but pressed on, hoping for a bit of luck in stumbling across an old member - or someone who could tell her what had happened.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
07-26-2023, 11:49 PM
Ira had seen the branches from Vanderfell's peaks. It was hard not to really. The tree here sprawled wide with roots that reached far beyond its base, and branches that scaled the heavens. @Hieronymous had described it before from brief ventures, but it was truly something else up close. There were tales of trees like this, or really only one. The tree of life that connects all beings across planes. What reason did the gods have to place it so close, or at the very least, a symbol of it?

Her youngest were finally old enough to join the pack's watch, even if most were family from the start. It was comforting to know she could rest a bit more with their aid, though she still wouldn't travel far. The roan queen sat at the tree's base, simply looking up in awe when the sound of a crunched branch caught her ear. Ira glanced over her shoulder to find a solid woman trailing by. From here she couldn't pick her scent, but the scars along her throat drew her eye.

Greetings. It was only polite, even if the other woman continued on. They had no reason to speak further. Ira did not claim this land, and based on the lack of scents, she'd wager neither did she.

the staff team luvs u
07-27-2023, 12:49 AM
Annika had never been afraid of the future or dying, but she had always thought she would return home before her bones grew too brittle to hold her anymore. Home was where she had given birth to her pups, where she had been surrounded by those who - at the very least - tolerated her existence. Her standards were relatively low in that regard, sadly, but she had yet to find someone bold enough to change them. The lifestyle she had(n't) chosen in her younger years left her jaded when it came to romance; men were simply chauvinistic assholes with a cock and nothing more. That, and it wasn't like she'd ever really loved the father of her children. Infatuation, yes, but it had crumbled quite easily when they had parted ways.

At least her girls had shown her what love actually was.

Greetings.

Annika paused in her tracks, startled by her own ignorance. How had she been so blind not to see the woman before? Ah, well, it wasn't like someone with bad intentions would give themselves away, right? Right?

"Hallo, miss. Am looking for.. ah, Valeska of Elysium. Small girl. Gold fur. Is.. still around?" Annika frowned, the expression on her face clear that she was expecting the answer to be disappointing. "I am Annika, sister-in-law to Valeska." Or something close enough.
@Ira
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
07-27-2023, 01:32 AM
The other paused as her voice reached. Perhaps she had been idle in thought as well... Immediately, she caught her accent. It was one she had only heard few times before, and what followed explained why. Valeska. Elysium. Names she hadn't heard in some time, and for that she was grateful. Ira wouldn't show such, though. This was not a wolf she knew and if she was not recognized as someone to hold aggression to then there was no point bearing her fangs.

The roan queen never liked that group, but they were, at the end of the day, harmless. It was only their allies she detested, and the disrespect brought to her doorstep from associating with such company. A silent snort slipped from her nostrils as Ira glanced to the tree again, then back. The gods had their reasons. Vanderfell was at peace. It was only now that they seemed to test her. I'm afraid I will be of little help then. Ira didn't have the answers she sought, nor did she wish to offer aid for them. Last she spoke to Valeska, it was on poor terms. Surely things were as they are only to benefit both packs. They had been spared from bloodshed.

Elysium's claim no longer resides here. As strange as it might sound, it might not reside anywhere. That is all I know.

the staff team luvs u
07-27-2023, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2023, 06:12 PM by Annika.)
It was distressing how deflated she felt after hearing the news. Annika hadn't realized how excited she'd been to see the sunshine she-wolf again, though her half-sister was someone she could take or leave. The only thing they seemed to have in common was a shitty father and an infatuation with Valeska, though Annie had certainly never strayed from platonic. Valeska had damn well been her only friend in the entire galaxy, but now Annika was faced with the reality that there was quite literally no one left. That was.. unfortunate, yes, but mostly annoying. Annie had anticipated a simple reunion and being able to live a life of relative leisure and that was, apparently, off the table. Fuuuuck.

She slumped onto her haunches with a muted thud and a mumbled: "shit." It seemed to be the only appropriate thing to say in that situation and Annika had never been known for speaking eloquently in Russian, let alone English. It was definitely a shitty turn of events, though! That was her justification! It was shitty enough for her to overuse the word shitty.

"Had no backup plan. Now what?" she said with an exasperated sigh, rolling her eyes at the situation. Nothing could be easy, could it? Nah. Not for her. It was always the most complicated, fucked up way or no way at all. "I thank. Save me time wandering aimlessly. Have heard Wayfarers?" They were, if nothing else, familiar to her.

@Ira

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
07-27-2023, 07:42 PM
The woman seemingly deflated as her rear sunk to the ground. For that, she'd have sympathy. Her people were not Ira's own, but they were important nonetheless. Now they had vanished without a trace, much like some of Vanderfell. Ira held back a chuckle at her next statement. Most rarely do. But really, how could you prepare, let alone have a back-up, for what had happened? She was a religious woman, but Ira was no prophet.

The roan woman shook her head. She had come to learn many names over the past moons, but Wayfarer was not one she was familiar with. I'm afraid not. Save your thanks, I expect you are bound to wander again. All I know are my allies to the south. Once I had mapped the northern regions, but from Fate's Summit I can see the horizon has changed. I know not what is out there, nor who walks where.

the staff team luvs u
07-28-2023, 03:09 AM
Boy, this lady sure knew how to make a gal smile, didn't she? Annie peered at her from the corner of her eyes, watching for any hint there was depth beyond the surface. Maybe @Ira simply didn't like strangers or maybe she didn't like Annika specifically, but goodness, would a smile hurt once in a while? She was already frustrated enough without worrying this she-wolf was already eager to get away, thank you very much. It was certainly all Ira's fault and not one ounce of her own self consciousness rearing its ugly head. Definitely. Positively. It was never Annika's fault, was it?

"No need wandering anymore. Only wandered to find family, family gone. Why keep wandering if no one to find?" Annika shrugged. "Maybe stay here for a few days, figure things out. Don't know. Your group not chase me away, da? Will give a meal if not chase. Just need time to gather bearings. Is fair, da?" Her ears tilted forward expectantly, assuming the deal was sweet enough for the other to nibble. Free food in exchange for not chasing her fatass away sounded like an excellent bargain, if you asked her.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
07-29-2023, 01:20 AM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2023, 01:22 AM by Ira. Edited 2 times in total.)
She knew what the life of a nomad was like. For some it was cherished, but others it was a life of longing. It felt like another life now that she had grown roots... perhaps if things were different she would have offered to end her journey, but she could not in good conscience keep Valeska's family. Even if this woman was different, there was the chance that her presence would draw unwanted attention... so Ira kept quiet. I have no reason to bother you. I do not claim this tree. Even if she wished to, she'd only find her scent gone with the next day. No payment necessary. Whatever you catch would benefit you more than I. After all, she had a working husband and loyal pack. May the gods take watch on your travels.

sorry this is short :'^) I didn't realize Annika was connected to wolves Ira doesn't like. If this feels like a natural end, feel free to close!

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top