Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Pretty please, with a cherry on top?

AW
Adventurer
Vanderfell Woods
04-02-2023, 11:17 PM
The woman sighed slightly, her head lowered slightly as she walked. She wasn't sure where her pack went, but they were gone now and she was on her own. At least for now. She had heard of this pack in the Summit, and now seemed like the perfect time to go meet with them. She hoped they were accepting new members, lost souls looking for a place to stay. And so, once she approached the border, she would let out a howl for their leaders, hoping that anyone would approach.

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • French
Mystery has scars littering her body with a torn left ear and ripped tail
Misc Skill
04-03-2023, 08:04 AM
Might be a little slow with classes but grabbing to get this started :'^)

Ira had been making her rounds along the borders when she heard the call. She had yet to venture beyond new borders, but with a few faces missing (let alone entire mountains) the roan queen would be diligent to ensure their scent remained strong with the hopes that those lost would find their way home. The stranger's call was met with one of her own as Ira changed course to meet Vanderfell's visitor. Given the proximity of the call, it thankfully wouldn't take too long for her to arrive.

The woman who greeted her sights was as dark as night, spare for the splices of skin that peeked through where fur failed to grow. Normally her gaze shied from the marks of battle, but these laid in an unusual spot. A wolf who fought was usually marked from the front, meaning whatever had happened to her was far more unfortunate, or so she would assume. Fortunately, the skin had long since healed over, meaning whatever attacked her was likely not the draw for her summons. Greetings. What brings your call to Vanderfell Woods?

the staff team luvs u
04-03-2023, 11:13 PM
No rush! Take your time

It didn't take long for a howl to answer hers and so, she sat and waited patiently for the woman to approach. From how the roan woman carried herself it was easy to assume she was either a leader, or a high ranking member of the pack, she certainly had the air of superiority to her. And so, the scarred woman would bow respectfully to her before lifting her head and resuming her seating position at the border. "Hello there, my apologies for bothering you." Her eyes glanced at her slightly swollen belly, noticing she was pregnant but chose to not say anything about it and instead, lifted her gaze once more to meet golden eyes. 

"My name is Mystery and my pack has recently vanished. I had heard about your pack a while back and was hoping I could possibly offer my expertise. I'm a healer and herbalist and have been for years." She would pause to let the woman speak if she chose to. Mystery had already seen her eyes flick across her scars when she first arrive and, though she didn't mind (she was certainly used to it by this point) she also knew that due to her scars, many would doubt her abilities. 

And so, she fell silent, keeping herself open for any questions or comments the other woman may have for her.

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • French
Misc Skill
04-12-2023, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2023, 12:29 AM by Ira.)
Not a bother. She'd tilt her head with curiosity as the woman continued. True, she knew a multitude of packs now, but only a few who would likely mention Vanderfell in some way. Healers are always handy... More so now than ever. @Quicksilver had been their best and his duties now prioritized his attention elsewhere, even if the male had a habit to drift back so often. But I must ask what you have heard of us. Not all are fond of my actions, and if you come from a pack that takes qualms with my rule, then they may see your joining differently from you or I. I am not looking to bring trouble to my doorstep. Even worse, if she belonged to Empyrean or Shiroshika then she was bringing more than just unfortunate news.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-12-2023, 12:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2023, 12:46 AM by MysteryRose.)
She sat in a bit of silence, listening to the woman speak, giving her plenty of room for her words. It was only until after she was sure there wasn't anything else for her to say that the scarred woman would finally speak up with a bit of a shrug. "I come from a pack called Juh'harah, but I wander a lot and tend to adventure far for my herbs. I've heard of your pack in passing, though I can't say I know much. I simply know that Vanderfell and Shiroshika shared the mountain for a while, but that was it." She spoke honestly, finding no reason to lie about what she knew which, in reality, wasn't much. 

"Not to sound harsh, but I really don't care what you may or may not have done. As long as you haven't gone out and murdered children, then I will have no issues with you. We've all done things that others or ourselves may not like." Her scars were a permanent reminder of that for her, but now wasn't the time for show and tell, at least not for her. If the woman in front of her wished to explain more, that was her prerogative.

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • French
Misc Skill
04-12-2023, 05:48 AM
The pack that left her lips was one she was unfamiliar with. Not that it truly mattered anymore, but the group must have lived somewhere south to evade her knowledge. A hum reached Ira's throat as she pondered the information. It had been some time since Shiroshika resided next door, but the heavy presence of two large groups would hardly go unnoticed, making her claim believable. I should think that a leader's path would be something you would wish to support if you are to follow them. Nevertheless, we have done no such things, nor would I ever condone the harm of a child.

Well, beyond a rough lesson learned, but that was more or less a scare tactic versus true harm. Some things were better learned first hand and not every wolf or creature would be sparing, no matter how old the perpetrator appeared.I do not harbor secrets. If there is something of concern you wish to know before agreeing to follow our ways, I take no issue placing my past decisions on display. That being said, I expect the same of my pack. If you become one of us, then your problems become our own. If you have ghosts beyond our borders, then it would serve us all to know what trouble might resurface.

the staff team luvs u
04-12-2023, 06:26 PM
She flicked her torn ear slightly as she listened before speaking up again. "I have seen much in this world and my last, and because of that, there isn't much that I shy away from. But I haven't heard of you being a warmonger or anything like that, so regardless of what you have done, as long as you keep your pack safe and don't raise fang to children, then I have no issues following you." Her ideals were simple, if not slightly jaded. 

She thought for a moment before speaking. "I have no specific questions for you, though if some come up, I will come speak with you. As for myself, I have no ties from this land that I know of as my pack has vanished." She shrugged slightly before speaking again. "I won't lie, there are things I have done in my past life that some may not agree with, but I don't regret any actions. But regardless, I am one willing to protect and help those in the pack. If you wish for me to explain, I shall." She would nod her head slightly before looking up at the pregnant woman. She wasn't one to show her past to everyone, but she would tell her story if the woman wanted to know details.

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • French
Misc Skill
04-12-2023, 10:33 PM
Even willing to defend herself, it seemed the effort was not needed. Perhaps the decision would be foolish under different circumstances, but Ira had only shared the truth. She had no intentions to deceive those who put their trust in her. No matter how many numbers they held, she hoped to trust each just as they should trust her. That could only happen if she was forward and honest. Very well then. There was no point trying to convince the woman of another decision, not when they needed capable adults, and she had clearly made up her mind.

Ira would listen as Mystery continued, but honestly she was not very concerned. Whatever enemies she may have seemed to be long gone, or at the very least, far away. It seems to me you have learned your lessons. Even if she stood by unfavorable decisions, there was always something to take away in the aftermath. Vanderfell is a place for those lost or seeking new beginnings. Your past will not be erased, those experiences made you the wolf that stands here today, but that does not mean you have no future. If there are no other concerns, then I will show you our claim and explain our rules.

tour/rules can be behind the scenes it would be safe to assume she knows everything that can be found in the compendium! Probably can wrap up with your next post?

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
04-13-2023, 10:01 PM
She was a bit thankful that the woman didn't ask for her history, though she would have had no issues explaining. But it seemed no explanation was needed. And so, the woman would simply bow her head in acknowledgement, moving to walk deeper into the territory with her new leader. It was nice to have a home again and she knew the first thing she would do would be clear around an area for a garden and start planting her herbs. 

She fell silent as she walked back, listening to the rules and history as she was given it. It seemed like she could find a good home here. But, only time would tell.

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • French
scroll to top