Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I could hit refresh and forget,

Morning Overcast
AW
Adventurer
12-14-2022, 07:33 PM
The day remained gloomy, but Dio was of smiles and casuals as they hummed in tunes and made their way through. Curiosity got the best of them, the empty plains were quite boring compared to the draft smells that came from the west region.. Even passing through, he could smell about two packs that were quite close to each other, and vaguely ran through these forests and chains. Between the mix was that little land of haven, where waterfalls glided through and the caribou drunk from the rivers too peacefully that they seemed uncaring to his presence. 

Wolves were all over and more ambient in this area, maybe a bit of a dangerous game to be dunking around in the area — but who can blame a newcomer, or likewise someone who simply said, 'oops, i'm new?' He was confident enough to be able to waltz in any land and get out relatively safe, though unscratched was perhaps just testing luck. Even in alleyways, street smarts would still get cuts and bruises.

What a shame to ruin any chance of his glorious fur, as a tongue glided over the black on their shoulder, and looking around once more. Dio's nose caught something that led a frown for a moment, because it smelled dangerous.

@Kuhn

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
12-14-2022, 07:47 PM
Set some time before the Valeska X Vera thread?

Coming south from Elysium, the big cat had been sniffing around for awhile now, looking for any signs of his quarry.  So far he had come up empty nor finding anyone or anything that pointed to the location of Vera.   

The feline's nose wrinkled at feint scent of piss in the area.  It seemed that at one time the wolves of Vanderfell may have tried to claim this area.  But the thinning scent meant that a run in would be a slim chance.  Maybe they hadn't been active in this area for awhile.  

From a distance while up on a grassy knoll, the cat's eyes caught the figure of a golden wolf, with a strap of dark fur over his back.  Ducking down onto the snow peppered ground, the cat held his breath for a moment trying not to get spotted.  If this one really was from Vanderfell, it would be best to not be seen.
the staff team luvs u
12-14-2022, 07:53 PM
whatever timeline works for youuu

Dio's nose couldn't be wrong, he wasn't such a fool to think it was just the wind, but now the scent drawn faintly away — possibly downwind if other was smart. Cross-eyes gazed about, but they didn't see any wolf from either areas, nor' anything that their nose caught. A tail flickered in the air as it stood tall in a banner, as a head raised with a cocked smile, gleaming out, "hey," so they echo'd, a rumble from the chest as they spoke. Coaxing, whoever was about.

Friendly in tone, more sweetened, "where are you?" Though Dio didn't know whether this was the good way to play, if all else.. Run into another land's territory, a pack wolf wouldn't measly enter another lands without true purpose, and predators rarely did the same if they could smell the population of the others. The packs seemed relatively safe in their numbers, strong when grazing their borders, but not this land. It was weak.

So, who was out there?

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
12-14-2022, 08:32 PM
Well, whoever this was had already spotted him, at least with their nose. Sitting up the tiger's head popped out of the grass.  There wasn't, much use in hiding now.  "Here...", sighed the cat, mad that he was scented.  

Exhaling, he prepared himself to talk to a stranger.  Figuring that this was going to be hard, the cat had to give up alot of his alone time.  He had to find Vera somehow.  

After a long moment, Kuhn was on his feet pushing through the dead yellow grass, coming closer to the tall golden man.  If this person was from Vanderfell, the tiger wasn't sure what to do.
the staff team luvs u
12-14-2022, 08:36 PM
"Hah," muttered under their breath with that same cocked smile of amusement. Who wouldn't be surprised for a tiger to so gingerily hide and then reveal himself? An attack was voidant, and words that were familiar — didn't didn't think species could cross communicate, but then again the whole situation itself was strange and wonderous. It wasn't the same laws of the world that they knew, the same legs and clothing they were so used to or the dirty streets with muck water ; pure, nature was ambient and with it, so were the animals.

"What do I owe the honor to meet a tiger?" If Dio remembered.. Aggressive, but solitary predators. They weren't so kind to sharing prey, or space overall. Though since they were graced with such a presence, do as thou' wills.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
12-14-2022, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2022, 01:14 AM by Kuhn. Edited 1 time in total.)
Before the wind had not been on his side, but coming closer and he could tell that the man was not from Vanderfell.  The tall golden man wore an entirely different scent.   The was a good.  

Finishing the prowl down the grassy knoll, the cat eventually stepped out into the open, revealing himself stripe after stripe. "Just hunting...", rumbled the striped man.   

Though he had made strides leaning social nuances of wolves. Most wolves that he had been around for any length of time had at least tolerated Kuhn's unwitting rude social impulses.   So, when the cat reveled himself, he started to pace around the man, committing his sturdy features and scent to memory.
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
12-14-2022, 09:03 PM
"You aren't hunting me, right? I'm not too ready to die just yet, I just got here." He was like a cat, playing with it's prey. There was a slight jitter that they felt, but not enough to lose their cool. Eyes were quick to gaze around, though it was flat a bit surrounding them, there was enough hills, boulders and likewise to use to the advantage.. Dio even noted the waterfall and lake, judging by the cloudiness and how the falls boomed into the liquid, it was deep enough to let one dive. Though tigers were quite decent swimmers, that probably wasn't the best get-away.. Most likely swinging around it was better.

Dio's fine eyes then followed back, head remaining still as eyes followed the stripped tiger. A prowess beast, many who not only adored to keep as a pet but also align their pelts as a carpet ; even he couldn't deny such a love. They were too refined to resist. Though such fancies were useless now.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
12-14-2022, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2022, 01:14 AM by Kuhn. Edited 1 time in total.)
"No... No, I wouldn't have given up my ambush.", he answered with a tone full of gravel and a shrug.  Taking a moment to think about what he was doing he realized that his pacing probably was making the man uncomfortable.  Taking a seat to alleviate this, his energy seemed to go into his tail which twitched too and fro.  

"Though, I am looking for someone.  A large white she wolf, full of scars."

It was odd that this stranger even let him get this close.  
the staff team luvs u
12-14-2022, 10:49 PM
Cats, cats, cats. Fickle beings, one second they love you then suddenly they'll bite the hand that feeds them. Rounds eyes watching and waiting, cresenting when they have locked upon their prey ; felines were generally similar within their primal nature. Dio looked at him with a sly, amused smile. Mimicking his position and sat in-front, a head cocked to the side as he still could smell the remnents of packs, but the one upon his pelt, was different then all the rest. The region truly was strange.

"Afraid not friend," a shrug of his shoulders, "I only just arrived. I haven't had the fortune of meeting those popular and wanted." Though now he knew, that someone was searching for that wolf. Nosey as they were, "what reason you seeking them?"

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
12-15-2022, 08:17 AM
Now sitting, Kuhn hoped that the man would have at least some clues to where the woman might be.  Listening with his ears the cat lifted his paw up to remove the stickers from the tall grass.  If he ever got a chance to talk to the creator, he figured he would tell them how stupid these things where.  Picking them out one by one, at least from the insides of his paws, he tried to give the man his attention. 

Now that he was a bit more know in the north, he hadn't really had to deal with a wolf who panicked in his presence.  Usually that sort of thing could happen with loners.  But this guy remained completely cool, amused almost; just returning a handsome smile.   It was reliving in a way, it was tiring to try and talk people down, while also wanting to give chase.  

The tiger's ear twitched in irritation at the dead lead. But, the man's question made him think.  The cat knew he was a bad liar, but would rather not say that he was out here to rip a wolf to shreds.  Fearing that the man might somehow give preference to his own species, the big cat figured it might be better not to tell.  "I'm looking for some answers...", is what the cat came up with, it was true afterall. 
the staff team luvs u
12-15-2022, 09:06 PM
"Isn't that vague," Dio said with a light cackle. Searching for another wasn't a foreign activity, though many times when he sought for an individual it wasn't for the pure casualness of friends, but rather a business that left with a man under the bridge. Likewise, finding more info to make such an individual remain beneath the fish. He found it quite interesting even in this land, this region, this life perhaps such dealings were the same ; but without proper life and so, the manpower behind, such dreams of life were long-gone, and Dio wasn't sure if he wanted to renew everything again.

"If you tell me what, i'll keep an eye out." A simple bargain, he didn't have anything to gain from helping the cat, but the other probably had more to gain from this. He was curious, seeking someone out — clearly who hasn't been found. Who would want to, with a tiger looking for them? They wanted a wolf after all. 

Was it a good, or bad reason? How fun.

the staff team luvs u
12-16-2022, 07:47 AM
"It is..." Kuhn purred, pleased with his own secrecy.  He didn't know who this man was, and he certainly didn't want to tell him about his plans to kill one of his own.  But, it would be hard to blame the golden man for being nosy, the cat would want to know too.  

After a long moment, the half ton cat's ear twitched.  He figured that he should give the man something at least.  Standing back up, the big cat took a step in the direction of obvious travel, ready to continue his search.  "If you see her be careful, she has a habit of... dismemberment and mutilation..."

A smart man could put the picture together.  
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
12-16-2022, 06:49 PM
With the sly smile on their face, there was a quiet, "ohhh, I see," in but mild fun and amusement. A dangerous wolf that lived up to the scars that make her noticeable, and someone that a tiger was looking for — one could say a friend or lover, but if it wasn't for the trickiness that came to her brutaliness. A tail flickered, an ear swiveled to the sound of birds flocking in the distance. He could vaguely make out to the sounds of wolves howling in the distance, looking to the peak of the summits with a light whistle, "que to leave," not wishing to be caught.

"I'll keep an eye out," as he too motioned to get up ; though aimed for the plains to measly circle about. They were a bit on a good mood to toy around with some troubles, "though, even if I did, where would I find you?" There was a little chance that Dio would actually find the tiger again, even if he did find the famed wolf. Though knowing where such a prowess feline was.. He would prefer to keep that card close.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
12-18-2022, 07:16 PM
Returning a nod of approval, the cat had to appreciate the extra set of eyes.  His warning wasn't made up, the golden man would be wise to find help or avoid the scarred woman altogether.  Watching the man take his own posture to leave,  he knew it was also time to go. 

"Well...  I live in Frostfang Veil.  But, that is quite a distance from here. I will be down here for some time though...", continued the cat as he looked intently out at another formation of stone.  

Taking another step away, the cat looked back over his shoulder,  "Again, I appreciate it.  I have to keep moving. "  
the staff team luvs u
12-18-2022, 09:13 PM
"Yeah? Then see you later." Something being called the Frostfang was surely something within the colder climates of the north, not one Dio was generally wanting to venture to, especially when winter was here. Even in other times specific places were much harsher, and he could only imagine how dull and cold it was within the north — so, most likely would not see this tiger anymore, but who knew if he would ever meet her (@Vera).

He very much wanted to.

So with a whisk and a smile, he bid this tiger au revoir, who too was keeping on the movement. How lovely this new land was with all it's possibilities, but now for the meanwhile, he would toe around another packs lands, and enjoy what could be. What limits was he able to do?

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top