Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Of All the Things That You Would Change

AW
Discovery
Adventurer
03-28-2021, 03:36 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 04:43 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
Traveling south from the river, West was happy to find his footing more sturdy the further he moved from those muddy banks. Though where the land dried, the air grew wet. It wouldn't take long for his travels to carry him to a sparse forest of sorts, or maybe a lightly dense meadow. A low-hanging fog filled the land and stretched as far as his eyes could see, though it wasn't overly ominous. It was actually kinda pretty and seemed to stir familiar memories of home.

There were no towering stones here, but that didn't take away the feeling in his core. In fact, had there been a bison heard nearby he might almost mistake it for those familiar plains on a cold day. Instead, there seemed to be some birds lingering, their song carried on the open breeze for travelers to hear as they wandered.

+2 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Nightwalkers
03-28-2021, 03:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 06:54 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
^^
As the sun began to set over the horizon and his ward was lulled to sleep, perhaps exhausted by the stress of her situation... regardless of why, he left her to be watched by the other members of the pack, to ensure she would not slip away from him with his back turned as he wandered into the pasture once more. There were things he had to do after all other than lay around all day and watch a slumbering injured woman - no matter how precious she may be to the pack. The scents along the border had to remain strong. Due to their still small numbers, even if they were growing steadily, they had to keep up the appearance of being strong by at least having strong border markers...

And who better else to do it than the stank mater himself?

He spent a while longer at the borders until the need for a chance of scenery tickled his fancy. From one mist to the next the forest opened up into semi-open skies. The pastels of the setting spring sun hung over the twilight horizon, casting a dark shadow over the hills and shrubs all the while the smog crawled along the ground as it always seemed to be. It seemed both lands fed into one another, whatever was causing the ominous haze was perpetual and it was something he found to be... familiar, comforting to a certain degree.

Still the birds sang in the distance, seemingly happy for the warmer weather as they too prepared to hunker down for the night... perhaps later they would hear nighthawks searching for insects or owls hooting in the trees... or a figure lurking in the mist. One who stuck out more than Caligula or Eldra as their pale pelts blended well with the misty grounds... but this one was darker than they were but just as big - perhaps this one was coloured more similarly to the Warlord himself, and he grew intrigued at whoever roamed so close to home.
^^

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
Discovery
03-28-2021, 04:07 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 07:03 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
The rays of the sun gave their farewell kisses to the land below as the light dipped to the horizon, seemingly ready to rest for the night along with some of the other creatures that lived here. Things were growing quiet fast as birds settled down and soon he was left to wander alone...

or so he thought.

A lumbering figure stood in the distance, seemingly moving as it grew closer though as the world began to darken so would the other making his features all the more difficult to make out. He smelled the man before he found his eyes. It was something foul and rotten that almost made him gag as if stumbling upon an old cache, with an eerie blood-filled gaze that could make even his skin crawl. He reeked of trouble.

So without another thought, he turned, seemingly adjacent to the stranger in hopes of skirting by without a confrontation.

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
03-28-2021, 04:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 07:04 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
The grasses were greener now than they were upon his first arrival here the dark lord remembered. The feeling as he cut through them toward the other towering figure was lush in comparison... softer than the dry crunch that once echoed with every now. Now the grasses seemed to bend and whisper in his path as they brushed his coat. Offering dew to cling to his coat collected from the mist that gathered in the air.

As the other figure seemed to be changing their path to give each of them a wide berth between one another, Vengeance did not reciprocate the action - instead, he simply changed his course to continue to cut through the shortest path between them. A low bay offered in greeting to assure the stranger that it was indeed him that the beast was coming for. As he approached, Vengeance's tail stiffened just enough to signal he was a lord, not of these lands... but of somewhere nearby and that where they stood now, he had a certain degree of claim over it too. Protective over the prey here at least.
^^

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
Discovery
03-28-2021, 04:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 07:04 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Unfortunately, his attempt to avoid the stinky man did no good as the warlord too turned his path to follow, his tail signaling behind him as he approached. It was almost a comforting sign, that perhaps it was just a nearby alpha who wanted to see what's up with the stranger passing by his land, but something in his gut told him there was something more. A wake of despair followed where the lord stepped, the dew on the grass disappearing with each step.

Clearly, he wouldn't be left to his own devices, so regrettably, West paused and waited for the other to catch up. He wasn't submissive, but he wouldn't try to challenge the other either. As far as he could tell these fields went unclaimed, and his passing through should bring him nor his pack trouble. Is there a problem, Sir? The light might be dimming, but it wasn't enough to mask the gunk and blood that seemed to cling to the other's fur. Unsettling was but one word for something so gruesome amongst what was once tranquil air.

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
03-28-2021, 05:00 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 07:05 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
Wherever the dew rubbed against him, some of the caked-on gore would melt off and rub away onto the next grasses that would rub up against any stains - that was, for the most part, the only kind of 'cleaning' he did. Eldra's gift still stained his chest and muzzle in those hard-to-reach areas, or even in those areas that took even a little bit of effort to reach. In his own sick way, it was how he marked his territory with as little effort as possible, and to him, it was genius.

Finally, the other man stopped, breaking the silence that lingered in the thickening evening mist that almost sounded otherworldly due to where they were standing and who were present among this twosome meeting. “No.” The word lingered as he took in the younger boy's features. Noting the scar over his eye despite his age - interesting. Either it was a scar or the mist was muddling his features, playing tricks on the Warlord's eyes.

“I'm simply curious, what brings you here?” With Sam's death, Bramble captivity still under his control, he wondered if word had gotten out somehow... if not, perhaps this one would know more of these lands to help feed the filth lord's curiosity. Of course... all would go well if food wasn't involved in his being here.
^^

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
Adventurer
03-28-2021, 06:10 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2021, 07:33 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
As the hulking man came to a stop he noticed that he was just about the same height if not slightly shorter than the stranger, but his bulk looked to be wider. If he was any other wolf he would likely be dwarfed with a towering creep hanging over his shoulder. A single word reply was all he was given as the silence hung thick in the air, just like the fog that rolled past.

West could feel as the beast's eyes roamed him, though so far he had shown no aggression, so he would do the same, relaxing his muscles as he was addressed once more, I'm looking for someone. Just passing through, I shouldn't cause you any trouble.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
03-28-2021, 07:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 07:05 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
The sun was quickly setting over the horizon, casting longer, darker shadows across the plains as its colorful eye faded beyond the rolling hills. The only lingering light reflected off the mist giving it an eerie ghostly glow. The titan felt most comfortable during these times, as the shadows cloaked over him and the night's colder breath refreshing his muscles and breath, he felt invigorated even during dull conversations such as these.

The younger man answers he was just looking for someone, and as if on cue, the hooting of an owl calls through before the monstrous man could speak after a pause of his own. “I'm a local here, perhaps I've seen them.” As gently as he could he prodded for answers. Was it the captive he had that this lad was looking for? The dead lad at his borders? Would it be wise to attack him here and now, get rid of a nosey wanderer who may be too close to discovering the Warlord's sins too soon? Would that simply bring more to his door looking for more and more missing folk?

For now he kept an otherworldly calm about him despite the storm that bubbled just beneath his skin. “Who are they?”
^^

+2 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Formation
Empyrean
04-02-2021, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 04:43 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
A local. Well, at least he now knew where to permanently avoid...but, if he was here anyway maybe he should poke for information before skedaddling right on out. He wouldn't even know where to start with his own search, and the last thing he needed was this guy assuming he's crazy for some...weird feeling. But Hydra had given him a task. He could work with that, right?

You have travelers pass through here often? Something about that surprised him, even though he could smell the stale scents of those who had passed through before. Maybe he was just unlucky and came at the wrong hour, or maybe those wolves never finished passing... He mentally shook that thought out of his head despite the blood that stained the other's fur. It could be...prey blood, yeah? No one specific really. Lost family...don't know of any Ostregas do you?

The rest didn't seem important to point out right now and he certainly wasn't going to specify where Hydra had set her claim. He was pretty sure this guy fell into the "pretender" category and his scent didn't even come close to that of the mountain wolves.

the staff team luvs u
Nightwalkers
Formation
04-02-2021, 03:52 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 06:57 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
^^
“Often enough.” There was a slight annoyance in his tone. As if the mere thought ticked him off enough to merit such a bitter tone. Too close to Nightwalker lands for his liking, and on his preferred hunting grounds. Not to mention this guy - it didn't help that this guy was acting pretty sketchy. Granted, the Warlord knew he could come off as pretty intimidating and so such an attitude was normal... but now, such dubious individuals like this lad would be suspected of spies until proven otherwise. Threats to the budding pack he and the others were working hard to create.

Then his mood shifted once more, this time, for the better. A familiar name escaped the lips of this softer earthen lad and the war-hardened man's posture relaxed ever so slightly. “I know of one.” Perhaps the most important one anyone would argue. “I haven't seen any around here, however.” Lifting his head up to stare at the younger man down the barrel of his muzzle, he observed him carefully. With a measured gaze, he would watch for any cracks in his facade, for words and tones that may indicate a lie.

Sadly, Vengeance had a hair-trigger. Not being the best at reading others, almost any small thing could have him believe nefarious purposes. “Who are they to you?” He had to be certain this one was a friend to his ally in the mountains.
^^

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Empyrean
Formation
Adventurer
04-02-2021, 04:03 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 04:44 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
His question only seemed to tick the other guy off, maybe he had been on to something after all. 

"Often enough." 

Eugh, this was like some creepy pup tale and he still couldn't get over the feeling that he had to either gag or stop his skin from crawling away without him.

Though it seemed that maybe he had said the magic words as the warlord shifted. None of Hydra's kin had passed through, something he almost considered a blessing, but he did know of one. Maybe he could be pointed towards the lost individual. They're my packmates. Not that he had really stayed around long enough to...you know..."become" one of Hydra's wolves, but he was helping them out all the same.

I'm looking for anyone who might be lost and hopefully send them home. Our claim is some days north from here. Where's the one you met?

the staff team luvs u
Nightwalkers
Formation
04-02-2021, 04:21 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 06:57 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
His eyes never faltered from the boy. They were as steady as ever, inspecting the younger man under the biggest microscope possible.

Then the mention of 'pack-mates' rang out in the mist, and Vengeance's eyes narrowed as his suspicions grew. He stepped forward, lowering his head back down and creeping just close enough not for either man to touch or easily lash out - but to smell. Nothing, either the boy was lying or had spent little time with Hydra and thus hasn't picked up her scent.

He had to be certain before jumping to conclusions... but it already wasn't looking good for this lad. “They own the mountain.” He was careful about giving out too much information at once... no sex, no name, simply that he knew where they were and the familiarity he had with them - that he might, and does, know who leads the pack he claims to come from.

“They are allies of mine,” His grim tone indicated that the boy's next words should be chosen carefully. “allies of the Nightwalkers of which I lead.” And once his claim was assured here, he would see Hydra next to share the news... and of finding this boy and confirming his story.
^^

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Empyrean
Adventurer
04-02-2021, 04:41 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 04:44 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
The beast shifted, lowering his nose as he stepped closer, smelling him. He confirmed that the one he knew...lived in the mountains? Then they were already with the p- oh gods. I didn't realize Hydra had allies here— If his brow could sweat it would. He knew he didn't carry their scent, not well enough to hold up through his travels.

It wasn't the credibility of his story that made him freeze though. It was the name.

Nightwalkers.

He had heard that before. As if he had been hit in the head with a brick the memories came flooding back. Some faces seemed scratched out, blurry or unrecognizable, but the stories he had heard remained untouched. Vengeance. The man that had taken his brother. The man who led a child army and the scars of a girl—

That girl—

His breath hitched. He couldn't see her face, but he could see her. Small and white like a dove. There were bits of her that scattered his memories, filling holes that had once been vacant.

Who was she—

Regrettably, he forced his attention back to the vile man before him. He could figure out his puzzle later, but right now he knew he had to go. There was no doubt in his mind, he matched the descriptions. And Hydra had allied with him?! She must not have realized.

You're Vengeance. This time he had been sure with his words. Whatever oddity the other had witnessed as he dealt with the whirlwind of emotions that swept his mind was gone now, replaced with something far sterner. A fire lit his gaze as his head raised, ever so slightly, burning that bloodied maw into his mind.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Nightwalkers
04-02-2021, 04:54 AM
^^
—and the boy froze. Like a deer in headlights, unsure of what to do, where to go. Should he stand his ground to these oncoming lights, to death approach, or should he flee and escape from death's cold grasp? The boy confirmed he knew Hydra at least, but that meant little. Even a trespasser or enemy could learn of her name and use it to their advantage.

Still, he did not raise his head. Spine aligned parallel to the ground, he was poised and ready to strike down this boy here and now should he be caught in a lie now.

With his size it would not be an easy task... but the Nightwalkers were but a call away from here.

“Yes.” He rumbled, vocals quaking as the word rolled off his tongue. “Prove to me you are one of Hydra's.” Or run, his tone spoke. Run or prepare to defend.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Formation
Empyrean
Paladin
04-02-2021, 05:13 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2021, 07:33 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
PP approved from noki

The warlord confirmed that which he knew, the rumble in his throat likely enough to intimidate almost anyone, any kid. Did he still command children? It made sense now, just how easy it would be for him. He was a walking nightmare, one that they wouldn't be able to awake from if they disobeyed. 

“Prove to me you are one of Hydra's."

The woodland man's jaw locked, unsure how to answer. If his word up until now hadn't been enough there was nothing else he could offer. I can't.

And then he saw it. The shift of the beast's weight, the glint in his eye as he swiftly lunged. West narrowly avoided the fangs aimed at his throat, breath hot on his chest as he too lunged, out of immediate danger. 

As soon as his paws had hit the ground, not a second more would be wasted, tearing away into the mist. Not once did he slow until he was clear of the mist. He would be certain to keep moving, jogging if he had to so he might stay far enough to be too bothersome to pursue.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Nightwalkers
04-02-2021, 05:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 06:58 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
No hesitation was offered as the young man said his final words on the matter.

The Warlord lunged -

The boy dodged -

Vengeance did nothing but snap his jaws a couple more times while the young lad was still within reach, more so as a threat to move and leave, flee as fast as his legs could carry; for the man of the mist would not follow immediately. The Nightwalkers were close to settling, close to letting him trust them alone without him lingering at every moment of each day.

Once he was pleased with them, with their claim, he would travel to the mountain where Hydra said her claim would be upon their last meeting. Now his news would include the boy he met today to confirm his story before persuing him, along with the declaration that he had finally reclaimed his crown.
^^
end

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top