Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
as another day breaks from the light

AW
Discovery
03-26-2021, 05:13 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2021, 04:08 PM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
territory discovery of Crescent Cove North & South: Spanning across both mountainous and temperature regions for uncertain miles lies a deep, crescent-shaped and mysterious gash in the earth. Long filled in by water and eroded down, the earth is not quite as jagged here as it once was though it is far from smooth. Within both the northern and southern branches of the cove the water is eerily still and far from crystal clear, betraying the true depth of how deep the gash goes.
also there is zero necessity to match length, i'm just storytelling away here.

Long before daybreak, Dirge had set off on a scouting mission of his own. He had conferred with @Hydra about such, believing it was necessary that they begin to get more of an understanding of their surroundings. Now that the worst of winter seemed to be abating at last, the opportunity was high and primed for such an expedition.

Though truth be told, he didn’t consider it much of an expedition.

He had descended down from the mountains to follow the river, reaching the winding broad band by the time first light had broken through the sporadic cloud cover. The sun hadn’t quite breached the horizon yet, but the lightening skies told him that it would not be long; it would chase away the low fog that twined through the forest here, and burn away not long after.

Leaf buds were beginning to unfurl at the ends of their branches now and the birds sang the same little ditties just as they always did; all was status quo even though it may have been likely not a single one of them understood how they came to be. But there was one thing that Dirge had noticed—more of the same were trickling in, some lost to the mystery of the place and some seemingly without a care.

These days, he wasn’t sure where it was that he fell on that spectrum, provided he even had a place along it at all. It had been weeks at this point since their arrival or awakening—some days he thought of it one way or another—and routine had gradually come back to them. Parts of their family came back to them while others remained missing, and he thought perhaps venturing out further than their claim would unveil more.

The sun pierced beneath the cloud bank by the time he had reached a point where the forest thinned and the waterway curved inland. It was here that the terrain became rocky and uneven at points though the land remained relatively the same in elevation. Close to sea level in a matter of speaking, but not quite the severity of change that often accompanied the climb or descent along the foothills and mountains.

He stayed close to the edging, where a sheer drop off seemed more likely at times towards the great breadth of what he could have called a lake if he hadn’t known any better. Too broad to display a current, the best thing he could liken it to was a cove of sorts. A backfill for the river, walled off almost like a natural stone dam for when the floodplains beyond his line of sight would be overwhelmed. Perhaps—there was far too little he knew of what was out there. Still, following the cut of the land seemed the best course of action; he glimpsed behind briefly to ensure that the mountains were still within his sight as a landmark, and found that they were.

And with that, Dirge continued along like a creature with a purpose.

+2 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-02-2021, 05:56 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2021, 04:10 PM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
When the wind traveled just right, Element had found that occasionally a strange scent came to him riding the breeze, reaching him even from his small shelter upon the Nameless Mountain. The winds were usually humid ones, warm, and on them he could ascertain the unusual smell; salt and brine. It was a wet smell, but not like any wet he had been familiar with. There was no musty hint of the water of a stagnant pond, nor the smell of the earth after a rain. It wasn't the crisp scent of a mountain spring, as cool on the tongue as it smelled on the wind.

This was a new smell, and an odd one at that. It was, Element had decided, enough to tempt him off the mountain.

He'd risen early, exiting his den and taking time to stretch out limbs that had grown stiff in the night. Once again, he found that he'd slept a little more soundly than the night before, and that managed to light a small smile on his face. He was acclimating. It was progress. He would take it.

Much like Dirge had done, Element padded to the river and worked his way down from there, stopping for a brief drink here and there while he descended. Initially he had planned to follow the far side of the river towards the direction of the humid air that tasted like salt on his tongue, but a new scent caught his attention where the river diverged. Lowering his head to the earth, it was the smell of Empyrean that greeted him - a smell he was beginning to associate with the mountain, and with home.

It was difficult, still, to consider himself as part of that group. While he knew he had a place, it all felt surreal. It had been difficult to shake the feeling that he was but a stranger among a family, invited inside but still a member apart. It left an ache in him he didn't like to contemplate, because dwelling on it led to him thinking about his own family... or the lack thereof. The fact that they - whoever they were - were lost to him. At least for now. But maybe forever. It was hard, not even knowing what you missing but feeling the loss in your heart anyway.

Suddenly not wanting to dwell on those thoughts as he felt them creeping to mind, Element stood indecisive at the watery crossroads for a few silent moments. Scenting the air again, and suddenly less comfortable with another day in isolation, he instead turned and followed the scent of another - traveling inland. Not too long after that, having followed the males scent as he made his way towards the cove, Ele finally was able to sight a body in the distance. Picking up his pace, and really hoping that he wouldn't be interfering, he uttered a quick bark as he approached.

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-02-2021, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2021, 04:10 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Sunlight glinted off the surface of the calm waters as he worked along the earthly scar’s edge; it was a tranquil sight, the surface tension broke by the breeze that gently worked across. Picturesque at best though perhaps limited in the full scope of what it had to offer. It was hard to say, but it warranted further exploration for another time he felt. Following the river was his main goal and the rest would fall into place in time.

At least, that was the goal that he had in mind.

Behind him, someone called out.

Dirge came to a natural halt along the edging, but he didn’t linger there once he saw who it was—that new fellow. Well, newer to him; Hydra had at least mentioned that they had a couple of unfamiliar faces that had rallied to them. He had only caught glimpses here and there, curious if they would stay permanently or not.

Once the gap had been bridged, he spoke: “Out stretching your legs?”

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-02-2021, 05:03 PM
It was a good sign that the other had paused, giving him a chance to close the distance between them. Ele at least hoped he wasn't going to be interfering in whatever the other males intentions had been for his day. Padding up to the other on silver-dappled limbs, he slowed and came to a halt a few feet away, scenting the air between them for hints of who it was he'd approached. "That was at least half the plan," Element answered. There was a familiarity in the smell of him - it didn't take Ele long to piece together how Hydra's signature mingled with the others. The mate she had spoken of, most likely? Assuming so, Element dipped his head in polite deference before speaking again. "I haven't really strayed from the mountain since Hydra led me to it," he continued. "I'd intended to follow the strange smelling air - the warm and salty one", he elaborated.

He had no words for the ocean, never having seen it before.

However, that trek was to be saved for another day, since he'd opted to follow Dirge's trail instead. "We hadn't met - I mean, I haven't met many yet at all, really," he offered, as explanation as to why he hadn't continued to seek the sea. "I'm Element."
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-02-2021, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2021, 04:14 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Interestingly, their paths seemed to be about the same. Dirge too had gotten touches of the salt in the air at times though he hadn’t given it much consideration. Perhaps deeper down inside it had been one of the things that had led him off the mountain as well—he had always found something enrapturing about the sea. Whether it was close or further away however, he could not tell. The salty tinges came and went, so faintly at that. If there was a coast, it had been no more than a distant haze from the mountain akin to a mirage. Maybe the river led to it, maybe it did not.

“I’m Dirge,” he offered in return, “Hydra’s mate. She mentioned that you had joined us. I take it you woke up here too?” Most of them had, if not all of them. He hadn’t met anyone who could simply say that they had always been there and now the rest of them were suddenly invading their precious land. It was a bizarre phenomena. It threatened to topple the sanctity of his thoughts to generate further turmoil, but Element would serve his purpose as a good distraction.

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-02-2021, 06:02 PM
Hydra's mate - so his assumption had been correct, and he was grateful he'd had the sense to show a little courtesy in the way he held himself in his approach. While the pack was still forming, the established hierarchy still coalescing into what it would be, it seemed to Element at least that Hydra, the already established matriarch of the Nameless Mountain, and her now-met mate, Dirge, were to be somewhere at the top of that ladder.

Briefly, for the first time, he wondered where he'd land among them. The thought was strangely invasive and left him feeling uneasy. There was far too much of his brain still struggling with absent memories that insisted he was not where he should be, that he should be back at the falls (what falls?), searching for his family (what family?), finding his packmates and helping them come together (come together where?) There was an old leader in him that shouted abandonment, casting judgement on the way he had just succumbed and accepted this new world. But the rest of him - the most conscious of him - knew he could only do so much. It had helped, learning that so many others had awoken in similar circumstances, and in that, at least, he was not alone. The mystery was too large for him to unravel alone.

Hence trying to place some roots, and those roots in this world would be in Empyrean. In whatever capacity they would have him. He only hoped he would not be a burden.

Letting his mind wander too deeply mid conversation wasn't ideal, but Dirge's question touched closely on the edges of Element's own internal musings. He couldn't help but let the ghost of a smile tint his maw as Dirge relayed that Hydra had mentioned him - it felt good to be known. (Maybe it felt good to have it proven you exist). "I did," Ele answered, pairing the words with a quick nod. "Not too far from the mountain - Hydra was the first one who found me". And wasn't he lucky for it. "It's... I don't know if comforting is the word for it exactly, but it's good to know I'm not the only one who felt like they woke from a dream."
the staff team luvs u
04-03-2021, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2021, 07:33 PM by Dirge. Edited 1 time in total.)
Element may have had the ghost of a smile cross him, but Dirge found himself withholding a frown. He internalized it instead—better that way, really—and tried not to think of the predicament that seemed to hold them all. For so many of them to wake from a dream with some sort of madness or amnesia unexplained bothered him in more ways than he could put into words.

“Well, it does seem to be the general consensus,” he said, a demure smile crossing his features. He could have elaborated, he supposed, but did not and instead continued: “But I suppose there is ought we could do of it except do the best we can with it.” In the weeks that had passed, they had drawn their own conclusions and realized they were nowhere near where they had been or begun.

Nevertheless, they persisted.

“Care to join me for a bit? I’m scouting for resources.”
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-03-2021, 06:47 PM
Why was it that so many found themselves here, amnesiac and more often than not, alone? Element hadn't acquired enough data yet, but the more he encountered that all had a similar story to tell was intriguing... and fundamentally distressing. He had, admittedly, been rather too caught up in his own experience and concerns to think about the larger picture just yet. And so at Dirge's words he gave the other male an agreeable nod and a sigh, both to his statement and to his offer to join alongside him.

Element closed the small distance between them and fell into step beside Dirge, grateful for the offer of company and to have even a small mission for the day. "I keep wondering if I'll run into anyone who's a native of this place... and wondering what this place even is called," he mused, wanting to continue the conversation. "So far, no luck with either." Had anyone been born here? Raised here? Or had they all been dropped into a dream.

Only once had he entertained the thought that this place may have been some kind of afterlife, but it terrified him so that he'd squashed it down deep inside of himself to deal with at a time he may be strong enough to contemplate such a thing. Element had a particular skill at squashing-down hard feelings; he could turn coal into diamonds inside his body with the pressure and heat of those repressed emotions.

Resource scouting sounded much more fun.

Element took a moment to scan the surrounding area, letting himself admire the view that spread out before him. As unnerving as so much was about this world, he had to admit that so far he had witnessed a lot of beauty, too. "You and Hydra," he continued as they moved, trying to let his curiosity push him towards small talk, "I... appreciate the security." He glanced towards Dirge, feeling a little self conscious and unsure if he was choosing the right words. "In the sense that it seems like you brought something with you - your pack, your purpose," he elaborated slowly. "It's been a gift for me, to be a part of it. I don't know what I'd be doing otherwise." Was this weird for small talk, to throw on someone you just met? Sheepishly, he threw Dirge a smile, head lowering slightly. "The very least I can do is help map out resources - did you have anything key in mind?"
the staff team luvs u
04-04-2021, 08:22 PM
The gratitude may have been wasted on Dirge; he didn’t think that Element wouldn’t have known what to do if he hadn’t been found by Hydra. He would have survived, simple as that, just the same as the rest of them. But perhaps it was more that he was not used to the gratitude that was being shared with him—perhaps for far too long, Dirge had been surrounded by those who had rallied more to their cause than anything else. Survival hadn’t been a question or a problem for them to solve, but keeping trouble away from their doorstep had been.

“Game trails mostly,” he answered as they moved along. “We’ve found plenty of water sources, so keeping track of where to find a source of food is our next move. Once we’ve achieved that, we can secure the land for hunting.” And from there, well, that much would have been obvious. Hunt, gather, and store. Build up their resources further.

“Of course that’s not the only thing I’m out here doing either. Getting a lay of the land around us is important too, as well as making note of any neighbors we might have here. We’ve been fortunate enough not to have had problems so far, but we are not strangers to that either,” he went on, feeling that was pertinent to share. They were the way that they were for a reason and being in a new, foreign place would hardly change it.

And if that didn’t scare him off, then perhaps the gratitude would go both ways.
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-04-2021, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2021, 09:05 PM by Element.)
Element would have survived - he would have found a way, as he always had, in this world just like any prior ones. But his gratitude was not rooted in mere survival. Just existing, surviving, meant little to him. It felt like operating on some instinctual automation that just drew him forward through each passing day or night, existing as a hollow shell of himself. What Hydra, and Dirge by extension - what Empyrean itself as a whole was offering - was something to fill that hollow shell. Survival may have had an inherently different definition to Element than it did to Dirge. To live just to make it to another was not existence. To have each day mean something, make something, create an experience - that was what they were giving him.

He may, even literally (a thought that surely would have wracked his body with uneasy shivers) be a ghost here in this world - but he was not just ethereal. Since waking up, the pieces that were filling in were tangible.

Keeping pace with Dirge, Element nodded in agreement, unaware of the poetic streams of his unconscious thoughts. "It's a good point - I haven't stumbled across any good trails yet, although I haven't made a mission of it. It's hard to say still if winter is all to blame." It went without saying that finding a good game trail was more difficult in winter, but he hoped the surrounding areas had been devoid of larger prey because of the weather, and not due to inherent scarcity. Dirge's next comment caught Element's attention anew, and he glanced over at the other wolf curiously. "Hydra mentioned that you had your share of... difficulties," he spoke quietly, unsure if the topic would be something Dirge would want to even discuss. He didn't know much about the history (the past lives?) of the founding family of Empyrean, but knew part of the promise he'd made to Hydra was to try to shelter their future from the hostilities of the past.

An uncomfortable thought struck him then, his brow furrowing as he contemplated it. "It seems many of you arrived together, or at least found each other here," he started, keeping his eyes on Dirge to see if he'd tread to close to something that maybe he wouldn't wish to consider. "Do you think any of your old... ah, enemies, could show up here as well?" If so, perhaps knowing all the more about their history would benefit him.
the staff team luvs u
04-05-2021, 03:22 PM
Under his breath, he huffed an amused note—of course Hydra would impart that information. Not that she wouldn’t have had any reason not to and ultimately, perhaps it were better that those who joined them knew. But a part of him couldn’t help but feel like it was information shared too readily, but was it because he simply wanted to let it go? Or maybe it was simply a desire to be guarded, even more severely than they had before.

It was, however, Element’s next question that whisked all of that out of view.

“I suppose it is possible,” came his thoughtful rejoinder. “I would like to hope not, but time will tell. All the more reason for us to take note of our surroundings and the resources they have to offer us.” He hadn’t considered the possibility that others could arise from the depths of their past to whatever existence their presence was, but it made sense. Almost too much sense, truth be told.

In spite of the notion bringing him unease, he made no outward shift in his demeanor. It was a variable he did not like, though it would give him more purpose. They didn’t need any more threats to their survival, even if the fine tapestry that wove them all together had endured a few cuts in its years. It could be mended, but the less damage, the better.
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-07-2021, 03:24 AM
Element's ear flicked briefly at Dirge's quiet huff, barely audible over the sound of their footfalls. He cast a sidelong look at the tawny male, curious about the reaction but choosing not to pursue it when Dirge himself didn't comment on it. Element's own question didn't seem to phase him too much, at least not in any way Ele could discern in his stoic scouting companion's tone. Feeling content with the rate of their exchange and a lack of pressure to force conversation along, he focused again on the area around them, reminding himself that the point of this jaunt was ideally to bring something back to the mountain - even if it was just information.

A scent caught his attention and he slowed, lowering his head towards the grass and snuffling through it to get a better idea of what it was that had tickled his senses. Slightly gamey, rich, a hint of must - the smell of feathered prey, he reckoned, exhaling heavily through his nose after he'd catalogued it. "More small game," Ele reported, a hint of disappointment in his tone. At least it was something to bookmark, in case they grew hungry later and required a little pick-me-up. He sidled back over to Dirge's side to continue along, letting a minute pass in quiet contemplation before he opted to voice the next question he had. "What was it like, where you came from before?" If it was something Dirge was willing to speak about, at least.
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-16-2021, 06:21 AM
He made note of the small game trails as they crossed them—any and all were certainly better than nothing. With time and a little herd management, they would have to rely on them less, but until then it was force of habit to recall where those paths crossed their own along the high wall of the cove.

“It wasn’t too different than here,” he answered after a moment of thought. “We couldn’t quite make out the coast from where we were before, but the mountain we’re on now certainly rivals the one we lived on before.” It was perhaps only a shame that they weren’t just mysteriously on a neighboring peak, but he had found no natural landmarks to orient himself with what he had known versus what they were in now.

“We didn’t have a river so close by either,” he went on, “but there were plenty of forests to hunt in. Hopefully the herds are about the same and will sustain us in the long run.” And though he didn’t voice it, he hoped their neighbors wouldn’t be too hostile either. Only time would tell on that premise, however.
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-16-2021, 06:35 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2021, 04:33 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
 Dirge mentioned the coast, and Element's ear flicked to him as he shot the other wolf a glance as they moved. It was a term he was not familiar with, and sounded strange on someone else's tongue. "The coast," he murmured quietly, sampling it, as if that would help imbue it with some meaning. Nothing clicked though - nothing surged in his memories of old, not even a partial glimmer of recognition to tease him. He waited for a lull in Dirge's response, and then with an air of timidness about him (because it was unpleasant to admit when you didn't know something), he questioned "I, ah, don't know the term. Coast." His ears pressed closer to his head in display of mild embarrassment, an apologetic tone soaking his words.

The salty, moist smell of the air that had originally led him here had been strange to him - Element had never set eyes upon the ocean yet. The gash in the earth along which they traveled was the closest he had come, and even then, from where they stood, he could sense something odd beyond. Had it not been for Dirge's company, the pull of the strange end in the horizon would have tugged him until he reached his destination and set his first sites upon the ocean beach. Dirge's share's held other mysteries though, and they held enough of Element's genuine interest that he wished to stay in his company for a while longer. "What was it named," he asked. "Your mountain?"
^^

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
04-16-2021, 06:44 AM
Element was an inquisitive one, Dirge would give him that. The rest remained unproven, but he had faith in Hydra’s ability to decide who lingered among them. As always, he knew that the weaker willed ones and the freeloaders would see themselves out; he had been fortunate enough not to really have the opportunity to give chase to them. Save maybe one or two, but even those parts were hazy to him.

“It was called Moonspear.” He remembered that, even if he glossed over what the coast was for the moment. “Hydra could tell you more about the name than I could, it was her parents who claimed it and named it as far as I recall.” There was a story behind it too, one he had heard before somewhere on the edge of sleep as she regaled the children. Her forte than his, that history for safekeeping.

“As for what the coast is…” he tapered off into a sigh—how to summarize that? “Generally a sandy place that stretches along the sea. Which the sea… well, I’d not want to spoil what that is for you but I’m guessing you’ve never seen it. You may find it overwhelming,” and here he smiled all too slyly, “but exciting. Even I’ve never quite seen anything like it before or since and would make home there if it didn’t seem like a disastrous place to do so.”
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-16-2021, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2021, 07:02 AM by Element.)
^^
 Had Element been able to catch just a hint of approval in Dirge's thoughts, he would have been elated. It was hard to say how he'd been before, in whatever pre-now world he'd existed in, if he'd been so eager for acceptance. Something about it felt foreign to him, more like a side-effect of his crash landing in this new reality than in innate character trait. But he'd latched ferociously hard onto Hydra, imprinted like a ducking when she'd found him alone and panicked and had offered him reprieve from his fear. He was still grappling with the rippling effects of his awakening, and trying to find a sense of belonging was high on his subconscious list of importance.

"Moonspear and the Nameless Mountain," he mused, amusement playing out on his face. "You know, I haven't said this to Hydra yet," he continued. "But I like 'The Nameless Mountain'. It's got it's own strange ring to it. It makes me feel..." he thought about it for a moment, wanting to try to portray what he was thinking as accurately as possible. "It feels like the importance isn't in the name itself, but what's being built upon it. Like home," he almost stuttered there, a small spike of anxiety threatening to override the conversation, and he cast Dirge a sidelong glance. There was a part of him yet that felt too presumptive, calling himself one of them, when so many of Empyrean were blood family and he was but a stray. Seeing no immediate negative reaction, he cleared his throat and continued "Like home... isn't about the land, the place we reside, it's title, but what we impart on it. When it's nameless, it's whatever you want to make of it. "

As for the coast...a sandy place that stretched along the sea. Sea, too, was another foreign word, and the way Dirge presented it left him more curious than other. "I haven't seen it," Element agreed, giving a small and excited wave of his tail as he considered what the new discovery may bring. "But now, I really want to."
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-16-2021, 07:15 AM
Whether it was the shift of his body language or the fleeting fit of a smile that ghosted itself in a moment, Dirge thought it good Element wanted to see that coast. If it set him upon scouting it up one side and down another then it would be for the better; Dirge knew he couldn’t devote too much of his time to doing so, at least not right then and there. Short excursions were fine, but Empyrean was too much of a fledgling in the present to be unattended for too long.

Which of course, brought him full circle to talk of the mountain once more.

“Eh, I’m sure we’ll name it eventually,” he remarked. It was almost dismissive, though his thoughts fell somewhat in line with the sentiments that his counterpart shared. Only they were not quite as philosophical. “It seems to be tradition and far from it am I to deprive her of that, though I care less what it is called.”

That, of course, was a lie. There were plenty of things they could have called it that would have detracted from the nature of their being and knowing he would have a part in it would also force his hand in its own way. They had tossed names around in jest, but he wondered if Empyrean would stick. It would have worked, a testament to the empire that they had only begun to build in a time before.

“Right now our main concern has been and will be survival. Once we have our feet beneath us proper and our prosperity ensured then perhaps a name would be suitable,” he went on, “though I’m sure by then we’ll have thought of something better than Nameless.” Moonspear had certainly had its own ring to it, but their new home was not befitting of that title.
the staff team luvs u
04-16-2021, 07:38 AM
^^
 He was already plotting when he'd make a trip to the coast, to set his gaze upon the sea. He wasn't comfortable yet with straying too far from the mountain, and even today had been an exercise in pushing his limits. But daily, as became more embedded and secure upon the slopes and felt more sure of himself and his place there, more of the world would open up to him. It would be good for all of them to know what limits there were to this world, and how far the lands around their borders stretched. Element turned to peer towards the horizon, first trying to look past the area just beyond them and gazing further at the area where the world seemed to dip down. Second, he turned and looked back towards the mountain, striking in its height and looming far above them.

Dirge's response to his musing was unexpected, and he fought to hide the way the quick remark stung his ego just a little. It was, at least, easy to not feel like he had to take it too personally - there was something comforting in the steady manner that the other wolf spoke in, and instead of dwelling on whether or not he'd made a fool of himself with his share, he carried along. He barked out a small, unsteady laugh, contemplating the naming to occur in the future. "Well, I wonder what it'll become then." He'd not be one to raise his voice against tradition, should the mountain ever seek to be renamed. To him, at least, there would hold a steady affection in it's lack of title.

When it came to getting themselves further settled, that was something he could see to more readily, and with active desire. "Mmhm," was the sound of agreement he made. "I look forward to that."
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-21-2021, 08:11 AM
He let silence lapse between them, his nose pulled suddenly towards the ground as he followed a game trail that veered slightly from the path that he had been taking. It cut through a narrow band of sycamore trees that mixed in with the conifers, weaving through grasses that were already beginning to stretch as tall as the pair themselves.

He couldn’t quite place what the scent was, but it was curious enough to steal his attention away. Could have been dangerous, could have been entirely harmless too; it had been so long since he had done any real ranging that he almost hoped it would lead to something good, rather than the misfortune that had seemed to follow them around like a bad round of the plague.

It grew in intensity and abruptly, he stopped with eyes up and scanning the horizon.

“Smell like something to eat to you? Or something worse,” he murmured.
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-28-2021, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2021, 04:34 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^

Dirge's attention seemed to have been caught by something, and with curiosity quickly building Ele lowered his own head to the earth, inhaling deeply, looking for whatever mystery had graced the senses of his travel companion. It didn't take long to find it - aided especially by Dirge leading the way, leaving Element able to follow behind him and pick up the direction of the trail quickly. There wasn't exactly a path here, but there was some evidence that something had moved through these grasses before them judging by the way some of the stalks bent crooked and dirt felt hard-pressed beneath their paws. 

Then suddenly what had been vague flourished, and the smell was strong around them. Dirge posed a question then, and Element contemplated it aloud. "Hmm," he hummed, considering the options. "It's new to me," he acknowledged, although he recognized many scents of prey he'd encountered here thus far had been... different. Recognizable, like a word on the tip of your tongue that you can't quite recall until someone else says it aloud. It could have been something familiar, with his tracking ability playing tricks on him as he acclimated. "I've been off lately though - all the scents I recognize are just a little bit different here," he explained.

As for actually answering the question. "Smells interesting," he chose, emphasizing the word and quirking his brow. "Enough for me to want to check it out. Worst case - at least we know a quick way outta here."
^^

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
07-30-2021, 11:56 AM
going ahead and wrapping this because i let it set forever and a day :c

“Fair enough,” he concluded with a nod of his head.

From there, the two would set off to explore such a scent, finding their way down a rocky descent that would take them further into the cove itself. The source of the interesting smell could have been rife with danger had there been competition, but inevitably in the end all that was to be found was the washed up corpse of a seal too far out of its natural element.

Whether it was simply age or sickness that had taken it, Dirge could not tell, and ultimately decided it was best they leave it be. Afterward, the pair would make the climb back up along the high wall of the cove once more, and continue their travels. The day had not yet come to its rest and neither would they—there was much to be seen and discovered in the lands beyond.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top