Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Conquest Of Spaces

P
Empyrean
Formation
03-25-2021, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 07:09 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Leta and Osiris seemed to know where they were going, something about a group or family taking the mountains. It sounded familiar, Osiris' family that is. It's where they planned to settle too, but...he wasn't sure how he felt about staying. Of course, he wanted to be here, be with Leta, but until he scratched this itch there would always be something calling for him. Maybe now though would be the best time to look. Leta would be safe here and then he would at least know where to find her again once he finished.

Though admittedly...wandering off into the unknown seemed daunting. He had always been a homebody, but now he had been thrust into the world and the door was closed behind him. No one was here to hold his hand and even if they were it...would be embarrassing to admit he wanted it. Had he ever even traveled alone? Had he ever...traveled? Once more that itch arose, something that told him he had yet no matter how hard he dug, he retrieved nothing.

West sighed, wandering idley just past the borders of the forming pack. Had Osiris and Leta already carried on or did they too linger? He must have fallen too far behind to see. Sucking in a breath, he decided to get it over with and let out a howl for @Hydra, the Queen he had heard faintly about. Every moment he waited caused his heart to pound harder as the woodland man held his breath. Would she let him stay despite his request? He hoped so...he didn't want to leave Leta.

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Empyrean
Formation
03-26-2021, 03:32 AM
The voice was familiar, but it took seeing him to remember West Tyree. 

He had come to her with messages from Theseus, once... and more. Information on old enemies. Enemies that then, Hydra could not recall. That, she presumed, must mean they had either been taken care of... or perhaps... perhaps something else. She did not let such thoughts linger for very long; old enemies felt unimportant, in the context of what had taken priority. She would kill them should she see them, in any event. 

“West Tyree,” she regarded, looking him over. He seemed to be in good health, and she wondered for what reason he had called her as opposed to Leta. But she was also aware that for all the similarities this place had to things she once knew, there were several key differences... so, perhaps not. Whatever it was, Hydra knew this much: West Tyree was a good wolf, who had come from good stock... try though she might to remember beyond that, she herself could not. He would reveal to her why he was here soon enough.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Empyrean
Adventurer
03-28-2021, 04:33 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 04:42 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
The woodland boy wasn't sure what to expect or who might greet him, though before long a dark woman would stalk her way towards him. Her pelt was that of the night sky, with a fierce gaze that causes him to dip his own. It was all too familiar, yet despite not knowing who he called for originally, now he was certain. He remembered calling to her once before, in the mountains far from his home.

Hydra— Ma'am. He could feel himself swallow before he continued. Why the hell was he so nervous? She had been an ally before, why wouldn't she be one now? I called hoping you might hear a request. Er, my request. My sister, Leta, she said she was going to stay here with Osiris. I was hoping I might be able to do the same, but... there's something else I need to do first. Would he sound crazy to her? He couldn't even recall the face of the one he was searching for if it was even a wolf at all.

I...I need to find someone. Someone important to me, but I don't know where to start. I want to be close with my sister, she's all I have right now, but I can't ignore this either. I want to go out and search. West paused, finding his words once more as he dared his eyes to raise in hopes of some kind of approval from the Queen. I understand that might not sound very helpful to you or your pack, but whenever I am around and resting I'll make sure I do my part. I can hunt and fight, and I can promise that I will never take more than I give.

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
03-30-2021, 12:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 07:09 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Hydra listened to West and his request, quiet all the while. She would, of course, hear him—the true question was whether or not she could oblige in granting what he might ask of her. Not knowing what it may be, she could not know the answer nor guarantee to him that she would, given that. His request, though, was not difficult to agree to. If he wanted to search for his own missing pieces, if he were among her ranks he could additionally look for their own. Theirs, now, given he was wanting to join their ranks. He would be responsible for more than himself out there, and she would make that no mystery. 

“I understand,” Hydra drawled, and she truly did. It was not the feigned sort of understanding one provided for sympathy, and Hydra was far from an empathetic woman to provide that much feeling toward anything she did not know. But this, unfortunately, she did. She remembered much, now, but there was still plenty that was missing... plenty that she wished to be found. And it was because of this that Hydra hummed in turn, “no—it is more helpful than you know. I am Queen; I can only go so far to search myself, you understand,” she explained, “even though those that I cannot find, I wish to search the ends of this earth for.” It was important to her that he know this, should he come across any of them along the way. What she built here, she built for them to come home to. 

Continuing, she drawled, “But in joining us, you take on responsibility to seek them, too, upon your scouting missions. I of course understand your desire to find what is lost, because I share it. Is that something you think yourself capable of undertaking?” She hummed, eyes searching his expression for any indication that he did not.

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Adventurer
03-30-2021, 01:14 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 04:42 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
It was as if a wave of fresh air washed over him at her words. She understood, but that understanding also came with a price. She was a Queen, and as such, whatever it was he did had to benefit her. She herself made this much clear along with how her duties bound her to the mountains. However, that made his request that much more valuable. The woodland boy had been so wrapped up in his own head and worry over his personal matters that he never considered how they might actually provide something for the pack.

Search for...the others? He blinked, a spark of recognition igniting in his eyes, Yes— of course! He nodded eagerly almost as if he was a yearling again, But I...never really met your packmates. Should I just question the wolves I meet? Would they even remember or would they too have forgotten about their families and packmates? That was probably a worry when it happens problem, though hopefully, they would remember more than himself.

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Empyrean
03-30-2021, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 07:10 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
He was willing, which pleased her. Hydra's tail swayed behind her, and he asked then how he should go about it. “See what any can remember,” she drawled, “rather than revealing it all from the start. I do not want to lead any pretenders here,” she drawled. Hydra did not forget that once, she and he both had enemies. “Listen to your intuition. I do not expect you to know them from the look of them alone,” she hummed—that, and their appearances truly could vary. “My family, at least, will share the same scent as me. And some may share our surname... Ostrega. Others might remember the place where they had come from... Moonspear,” she continued. All places to start. 

“If you think yourself capable of this, then I welcome you among our ranks. Each time you return, I will expect a report upon your own findings... and should you find what you yourself are looking for, so long as they do harm to none of our own, and would hunt with us... they would be welcome here,” she determines. This was a world they all would need to learn to navigate, and assuming who he found would need to gather their own bearings... well, they would have a place to start at least, without needing to look over their shoulder at the same time. “While you scout, it would be good to know of other packs forming. You need not share all you know of our own, simply the basics,” she thought to suggest, “if anything of that sort is discovered.” He need not go to borders to do so; she imagined that along the way, he might come across others. Who knew what those others did but they themselves... and it was always good, to know ones neighbors.

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-02-2021, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 12:58 AM by West Tyree. Edited 1 time in total.)
West nodded, suddenly glad he asked as he mentally took notes for later. Knowing him he probably would have just blabbed around and maybe even unintentionally led back some bad eggs which is the last thing he wanted to do. He was going out on a limb for a selfish desire he should be helping however he can, not hurting. Overall though, the task was pretty simple. He might have little travel experience, but he did have an eye for detail.

I can do that, Ma'am. Something swelled within him, maybe pride or hope, but whatever it was it felt warm. Maybe it had simply been the realization finally sinking in that everything he knew...was gone. He had no home and without it he had felt lost. Hydra had been kind though, not only allowing him to stay with his family but whoever it was that pulled constantly at his thoughts as well. It solved a problem he hadn't even thought far enough to consider, but now he simply itched to go.

Was there much else to say? He had never been the best with words, always favoring action in their place. I promise, I won't let you down! A convincing grin sat easily on his maw, tail swaying lightly behind him in hopes that he might be allowed to go now. He might be fully grown, but there was still something almost child-like in his mannerisms.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Empyrean
04-02-2021, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 07:11 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
fading <3

As he expressed he would not let her down, the matriarch nodded; she trusted that he would not. “Welcome home then, West Tyree. I advise that you get some rest,” she drawled, “before you go. And be sure to eat as well. But even before all of that,” Hydra spoke, voice light, gesturing to her side, “tell me of all that you have seen out there so far...” turning on her heel, she waited for him to move with her to fill her in on what he had seen beyond where she had yet to travel. Landforms, wolves, the whole of it. And once he did so (should he have listened) she would begin to move, taking him with her to the rendezvous to settle while she listened.

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top