Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
morning views

Sunrise Sunny/Clear
P
10-08-2022, 03:18 AM

The tundra wasn't so vast as other terrain she'd traversed before appearing in this land like that of a peculiar lump or a fat tick, out of the blue, so while some lands were claimed... most of it remained free for the taking—the taking of naps, that is. The night prior, the tawny wolf had dug out a small hole in the softened earth before it'd harden during the evening chill, thrown herself in, and curled up for the night. Benji didn't sleep much, off and night as prey scampered and investigated and she snapped and growled, enduring the quality of rest one would expect from sleeping alone in the dirt.

As morning reared its head, the sun rising slowly, breaking the night sky with a sliver of hot orange, Benji blinked to find the world alive, meeting her despite her tired, wide yawn. Ah, there was nothing like it.

Waking up in a hole.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
10-08-2022, 03:43 AM
The rise of the morning, the snow-kissed wolf appeared from her den and sneezed gingerly. Awakened by the glistening of the sun as it shone in her den just right that she felt the light upon her eyes. An early morning, she could feel the stiffness of her joints as she rose into the vale ; and slowly made her way out. A slow trot in a morning jog to awaken herself. 

As she stretched at the entrance of the frostfang, her nose twitched. The smell of rabbit was on the nigh', that had her lick her lips in thought of a morning treat. She started her way to prowl, careful and steady as Aries found her way through the rabbit trail.. Although at one point, it was so stale she couldn't smell it anymore. 

Yet in the distance, there was a hole. Aries squinted lightly, she thought to see something and thought maybe, that was the rabbits! So she trotted toward it.

the staff team luvs u
10-08-2022, 04:16 AM

The hole wasn't the deepest, a couple of feet deep due to an utter fixation spurred mid-task the evening previous, but her fur resembled the darker shades of the earth well enough it'd not be impossible to mistake her for the bottom—refusing to meet the dawn, nose to tail once more with her ears flat against her skull, Benji found herself determined to avoid the morning a little longer; a mission which would fall through to the presence of another creeping close, a bit too eagerly.

Benji startled, jerking up, tossing dirt and moss and her own deep, rumbling woah. Equilibrium found her quick as her eyes learned the who behind why she'd stirred; a wolf of a glacier's touch, eyes sunstruck. She blinked once, voice wrung raspy by grogginess when she broke the brief silence, "I almost mistook you for the sun."

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
10-11-2022, 08:45 PM
Aries would prowl thinking that perhaps one could be lured out and she could nab by in. Slow and steady to win the race ; until the woman would take a whiff of the air and smell nothing like the morsels that she was hoping, and instead smelled.. Canid. By that point though she was awfully close and curiosity, rather rudely, had her peak in thinking that surely she was mistaken, for a random wolf to be within a hole seemed a bit odd. Yet color her surprise! They were in there, brown as the as the setting sun and the dirt that was underneath the snow, and cream like the rivers sands. Though she couldn't help but chuckle, "some would mistake that was flirting," she said, stepping back to allow space.

"I'm quite sorry for disturbing you."

the staff team luvs u
10-12-2022, 03:28 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2022, 03:28 AM by Benji.)

Benji stretched a little, neck canting backward and her forelegs reaching for the sky as she moved, pulling herself from the hole in a way that left her almost nose-to-nose with the stranger, offering an awkward smile and chuffy-sort of chuckle. "Mistake would mean my words lacked intent," she hummed, still shaking sleep from her body. "I quite intended to be honest with you."

With a flick of her tail, she went on, "It'd be rather hard to be disturbed by you... Though I don't think I was what you were looking for?"

the staff team luvs u
10-20-2022, 02:29 AM
"You are quite the charmer." As she was unaware, Aries only saw a male, for the smell was the first that came, and the second was the scar on their neck. There was a golden flicker at it as it caught her sight, before quickly moving away to meet their dark brown. She didn't wish to be rude and stare, only hoping they did not catch her moment of curiosity. There was a moment just before they touched noses.. She was quick to step-away out of politeness.

"I was looking for for a rabbit, and had thought that perhaps they disappeared into your hole." She confessed with her smile.

the staff team luvs u
10-20-2022, 05:30 AM
"A wolf like you deserves to be charmed... though I can't take too much credit," she said, shaking out her fur once more. "A sight like you would make poetry effortless to spin." Benji wasn't physically forward, offering only a smile at first, voice a deep hum. "Though I should be reserved, shouldn't I? Surely you have someone so lucky to be called yours?" It was then the stranger brought space between them and the tawny wolf accepted it, tail a timid wag as she looked over the other.

She flicked an ear, looking from the stranger to the hole and then back to her. "No rabbits here, unfortunately, hope I didn't disappoint much," said Benji with a soft chuckle, taking a singular step forward, her head tilted. "I've seen where some burrow though, almost dug 'em up to bed down but supposed they'd make for a predictable meal... I could show you, if you'd like?"

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
10-25-2022, 05:24 AM
"I am not used to such flattery.. I was once engaged but I never even met the man, much less hear such appealing words. I must say you are as equally attractive, it'd be rude not to say so." Though no one could deny such sweetened words send shivers down the spine, it made her heart flutter to be known she was thought as someone attractive at the very least — kin can say so much.. But she was also a mortal wolf who desired the attention of others, even if she wouldn't openly admit it. The heart yearns for something of a fire.

"That would be quite nice to know, although I am also quite curious why you would sleep within a burrow out within the tundra." The more the other talked the more she was enticed to know about them. Aries was charmed to say the least — she did not have a barrier against any flirtations and was growing quite curious of what she assumed to be a man, and wanted to know more.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top