Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
I'll take this chance,

P
Discovery
03-23-2021, 06:42 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2021, 05:22 AM by zina. Edited 2 times in total.)
Sunshine. It beat down on her fur, warm and comforting. She loved Winter, she did, but there was just something about Spring that rejuvenated and recharged her. Laying here, stretched out on a stone near the top of the boulder hill, Persephone found herself peaceful and happy. Eyes closed, the girl eased between dozing and watching the world around her come to life as the snow melted away, pulling back the cloak of white to reveal greenery and beauty. She listened to the animals, the birds in the trees, a fox near by, perhaps a small deer herd, too. She took in the scents, the pine, the river, the acute smell of sunlight as it warmed the boulders her mountain was made out of.

Here, she was happy and at peace, comfortable enough that she slipped into a doze once more, head resting on her paws, long tail draped over the edge of her chosen spot.

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 32742104_CtCyQBtRsKxdbdr.gif]
— Hades is welcome in any thread Persephone is in, and, may powerplay her if the need is there
— Mother, please stay out of my threads :c
03-23-2021, 06:59 AM
^^Hades was completely enraptured by the blossoming of spring and the change of seasons happening in Winterheart Forest. Typically he never got to see Spring expect in sarce circumstances that usually weren't positive. This was much better. Seeing little sprigs of flowers as they bloomed up from the earth was so new and different. He found a flower that was particularly beautiful and brought it back dutifully, a little skip in his step as the cold left them behind. When he caught scent of Persephone he veered off from his intended path, quickly choosing to find her instead.

When he discovered her, she was a vision; all tender and sleeping, safe in her space. Hades leaned in to drop the flower at her front paws, grinning as he stepped back to see how she looked.^^
the staff team luvs u
03-23-2021, 07:16 AM
Unaware of his presence, of the flower before her, Persephone continued to snooze, one paw twitching fitfully as she lay there.
the staff team luvs u
— Hades is welcome in any thread Persephone is in, and, may powerplay her if the need is there
03-23-2021, 07:22 AM
^^Hades picked the flower up, barely catching as it fell away as she exhaled. Just as he'd plucked it off the ground and leaned up to try and place it more securely her paws twitched and he was too close. He reeled back when she hit him, even if there was no strength to the hit it still surprised him and he jerked back, letting out a loud laugh as he did so. He didn't know why he'd been so startled by it, but it caught him off guard and he couldn't help the way he was still snickering at himself.^^
the staff team luvs u
03-23-2021, 07:26 AM
The laugh startled her awake, yanking her from whatever dream and slamming her into a state of alertness, eyes wide and her ears back as she sat up. The fur along her spine bristled, instinct taking over for a moment before she blinked. And blinked again. And looked from the lightest little weight of a flower on her paws to the man that stood above her, blinking once more, long and slow. “Hades?” She asked before her jaws split into a yawn. “Wh're you doing?”
the staff team luvs u
03-23-2021, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2021, 07:43 AM by Hades.)
^^Clearly he'd startled her, and it was just as much that he'd startled her awake even if that wasn't what he meant to do. He grinned when she looked up at him and the urge was there to lean in and just kiss her. “Spring is coming,” He explained and nodded towards the flower he'd brought her. “And this made me think of you.” There was a little hint of pink with a softer yellow on the outer edges of the petals. He'd seen it and been stopped in his tracks, although now, he could have just taken her there himself. “Did you rest well, Goddess?” Hades asked, leaning down to nibble carefully just behind her ear. “You know, we've been here almost an entire month now. We should do something special.” What that meant could be anything she wanted, but, he wanted to spend his day with her.^^
the staff team luvs u
03-24-2021, 05:51 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2021, 06:05 AM by Valk. Edited 1 time in total.)
Eyes dropped to the flower again, her mind still trying to catch up with the fact that she was awake. The pink and yellow petals were delicate, pretty without being overstated, and it had made him think of her. Kunzite eyes lifted to the male again, some thinly veiled emotion shifting behind that gaze as a slow smile took her lips and curled them upwards. Her head leaned to the side, a soft, barely audible mewl leaving her as his teeth preened her fur; she was unable to resist stretching because of it, yawning again as she nodded in reply to his question.

“Sun's warm,” Persephone explained, looking up at him lazily, happily. Expressive ears perked at the to-be-King's — already-King's? once-more-a-King's? — suggestion. “Oh? Did you have something in mind?”
the staff team luvs u
03-28-2021, 06:04 AM
^^She was soft like dawn, like the birth of spring, those sounds she made and the gentle way that she responded to his slight touch brought a smile to Hades' face. Her explanation was honest - as nice and it felt to her dappled coat it was so much more to his darker hues. “I hadn't quite decided yet.” Hades' tail swayed behind him and his soft touches worked to the edge of her jaw. “Goddess, what would you like to do today, if you had anything you'd like?” He was curious what her desires were - needing even, if that was the case. “Tell me.” He implored gently - never stopping that careful tease of his teeth in her fur.^^
the staff team luvs u
03-28-2021, 06:52 AM
If it was possible to tilt her head more, she did, until she finally gave up and flopped onto her side, laughing softly as his touch pursued her even there. “Mm... Well napping was quite nice. I'm assuming you're not really feeling like a nap though, hm?” Reaching up, she nipped gently at his throat. “We could scout for herds. Salene had mentioned the forest had a good population of deer and such.”
the staff team luvs u
03-28-2021, 07:05 AM
^^When she finally settled on her side he grinned, nose burrowing into the fur of her chest until he'd touched her warm skin. “I could rest. Or we can go and look and then we go find a good spot for a nap.” He offered. When she mentioned Salene again Hades didn't know what to say - if it was the fact they couldn't find any traces of her or what but it made Hades more confused. “We can go see the sights. See what we find - I haven't had any issues finding meals so far.” Which was a relief, but, it wasn't exactly special. If this was supposed to be like some special moment it wasn't going to be just about the herds. “Come then, lets see, Goddess.”^^
the staff team luvs u
03-28-2021, 07:23 AM
She sighed, stretching out again so that her toes flex and her bowed before rolling onto her back to gently swat at his muzzle. “Are you reaaaally gonna make me get up?” She asked, soft fuchsia eyes peering up at her... Friend? Co-Leader-to-be? King? Persephone wasn't sure what word she should use to describe him, though it wasn't something she fretted over, rolling to her feet so that she could stand and shake out her fur.

“So should I be calling you God?” Her question came as she hopped from one boulder to the next, careful to make sure she didn't slip but playful, too. Her nap had been restful, glorious even, the sun almost recharging her in a way. “You're being slow again,” Persephone complained at him with a small, slightly antagonistic smile as she rounded to watch him descend, tail waving behind her.
the staff team luvs u
03-28-2021, 08:00 AM
^^He nipped at her paws when they were near his mouth, grinning down at her. “Oh we don't have to.” Already the nimble footed woman was finding her feet, shaking her coat out, and started to bound from rock to rock. He was more careful in his steps, making sure that he didn't make a fool of himself, as he followed after her like a lovestruck puppy. He let out a little sound when she asked what to call him. “I would never make you.” He could settle for anything so long as it came from her mouth.

“I'm making sure I don't fall on my ass, Persephone.” He countered. When he was finally on the ground he bowed down, tail lashing behind his body. A couple playful barks and he sprinted a few paces away, and if Poseidon could see him now. “Come on, now who can't keep up?”^^
the staff team luvs u
03-29-2021, 05:24 AM
The wolf of honey-spun fur bounced after him, grinning widely as she followed in his wake. “It's not my fault you're so big.” The bigger they were, the harder they fell, after all. Teeth nipped at his haunch before she splashed into the river to cross it. Given a bit of space, it was Persephone's turn to bow in front of him, feinting once before bounding further away and bowing again. “Can't catch meee!” The beat of her tail was quick and enthusiastic, ears pushed forward to show how intent she was upon him. The river between them would (maybe) slow him down a little, but Persephone was more counting on the fact that she was quicker than him.
the staff team luvs u
03-29-2021, 05:50 AM
^^She took no time to fall into the play, her movement much quicker than his own. He laughed as she crossed the river and he instantly launched himself to follow. He took a few steps, running quickly to the edge of the water and a few steps in before he leapt and managed to make it mostly across the river. It wasn't deep and it wasn't too wide and he shook off the excess water in his coat before following after her. His gaze narrowed on her, teeth shining for a moment as he snapped his jaws and took after her again. “Watch yourself, what happens once I catch you?” Hades called out after her, his laughter echoing through the trees.^^
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
03-29-2021, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2021, 05:22 AM by zina. Edited 2 times in total.)
That was a good question. What would happen once, no if he caught her? She didn't have an answer and so, didn't answer him. Instead, Persephone raced ahead, through the forest and parallel to the river until she reached the fallen tree that acted as a bridge across a wider part of the water.

Skidding to a halt, the girl swung her head right, then left, before making a split decision to scramble up onto the sturdy log, stopping only when she was in the middle. There, she balanced, having more than enough room for her dainty paws, and turned to look back the way she had come, grinning all the while.

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
03-29-2021, 07:45 AM
^^They were learning their land. She took off ahead of him and Hades let out a low growl, body closer to the ground before he dug in and launched himself for more momentum. Though he was strong he wasn't as quick as she was - at least not without effort. She seemed to be flying through the forest. His eyes tracked her feet more so than her body - marveling at how she truly let loose and everything became hers.

She made her stand atop the log they'd first crossed over when exploring Winterheart's river and Hades came to a stop on the opposite shore, chest heaving a bit from their romp through the woods. “It would be such a loss - if you choose the waters over me. That's Poseidon's domain.” Hades rumbled lowly. “Surely you won't deny me, would you?”^^
the staff team luvs u
03-29-2021, 08:21 AM
He was breathing hard, she noticed, his expansive chest heaving with the air he sucked into his lungs. It gave Persephone a reason to gloat, that despite his much longer strides, he had to work so hard to catch up with her. Her tail waved again, teeth flashing as she smiled, shifting her weight upon the log the barest amount.

It was the rumble of his voice that drew her back into this game of cat and mouse; had she different features, she might have bit her lip, or demurely looked away, but Persephone merely ducked her head a touch, eyeing the man she’d been spending such great amounts of time with.

“And what would I be denying you, Lord Hades?”
the staff team luvs u
03-29-2021, 08:44 AM
^^Hades considered for a moment if she'd step toward him at all, his blue eyes fixed eagerly on her body. She moved but no closer, Hades instead placing a paw upon the sturdy fallen tree. “What would you be denying us -” He began. “I don't matter any more than you do, Persephone. The King and Queen are equals.” Hades placed another paw on the log but did not hoist himself up.

The way she presented herself hadn't faltered once, and Hades typically thought himself a good judge of character. He trusted her fully, regardless of the potential fall out. He didn't think the log would shift beneath their weight and he trusted she wasn't going to chuck him into the river either. Hopefully.^^
the staff team luvs u
03-29-2021, 04:16 PM
Persephone did not move as his paws found purchase on the log, ears pricked as she listened to what he had to say. Despite her game, the female already knew what her choice was; if he didn't, she'd play with him a little longer, pick at his words to see how badly he wanted her to come down from her perch. “Here, we are equals but I did not ask who mattered more.” Or anything of the sort, really. “I asked what I would be denying you. Or denying us, if you prefer to answer that way.”

Leaning forward, nipping at his paws and his nose to keep him off her log, her smile playful and mischievous; still, she made sure her teeth did not close on his flesh, always pulling short of actually making any mark upon him.
the staff team luvs u
03-30-2021, 07:19 AM
^^She challenged him. His tongue traced over a fang, looking from her paws all the way up to meet her eyes again. “You would deny my choice would you?” Hades asked curiously, tilting his head. One paw firmly there, pushing himself up towards her. If she wanted to push back harder, they'd both risk falling into the water. “I never took you for one to take joy in cruelty, Goddess.” Hades said, taking another step up until both his paws were on the log. “I thought that I was King - and my choice was you, my Queen.” Hades near purred it out, a grin on his face even with the risk of falling. “Is that not sufficient enough for you?”^^
the staff team luvs u
03-30-2021, 08:02 AM
The nips of her teeth did nothing to dissuade him from climbing up on her log, though she did not try to push him off. In the end, she only wanted to play with him, not hurt or injure him, physically or otherwise. “I'm not being cruel!” She said, lifting a paw to her chest in mock offense. “I merely asked you a question, my King.” The words were velvet on her tongue, the low way he spoke making her shiver and smile. “You were simply not clear.” Persephone did step forward then, closer to him, leaning her head down to nip gently at his ear. “Perhaps you shouldn't speak in such riddles, my lord.”

She knew he hadn't, knew exactly what he meant, but none of it stopped Persephone from teasing. Not wanting to tempt fate, however, she did come down off the log on the side opposite him, tossing a look over her shoulder as she began to follow the river.
the staff team luvs u
03-31-2021, 05:04 AM
^^“No?” Hades quickly shot back, blue eyes a flash of mirth and playful edge. He knew there was no venom in these tangled interactions - only play. But that nip so close to his ear made him shiver, his eyes closing for a moment at just the implications of her play. He was the toy and she was the cat - this had stopped being his game eons ago. “Was I not clear enough?” Hades asked, the look in his blue eyes almost alight with a smolder - he didn't mind her teasing a bit. He watched her as she moved so smoothly and cleanly and then followed, longer legs easily letting him catch up and brush his side against hers.

“The way it was before each brother had their own realm. Zeus was King of Kings but.....we mostly kept to our own. What one said didn't dictate the other's realm.” Hades began to explain. “I don't think @Poseidon and I are used to ruling each other. I'd expect once he's got his footing, he won't stay with us forever.” Should he have said fins, instead? A bemused smile came to his face at that before he turned to look at the trees and their gentle sway. “If my brothers and I could - three of us, each our own realm, each working together. It's how it's always been. It works.” He looked at her then, tail brushing against hers. “What do you think?” It wasn't just his call, after all.^^
the staff team luvs u
03-31-2021, 05:23 AM
He caught up with her in no time at all, something that pleased the smaller woman to no end, leaning into his touch as they fell into step together. His words gave her food for thought, wondering many things all at once: Would she ever meet @Zeus? Was he already here? How was he "King of Kings" and yet didn't decide things for Hades and Poseidon? She preferred that but still wondered at it, at if it would be the same here. So soon after getting out from under her mother's paws, Persephone found herself staunchly against the idea of having it any different than they'd already planned for.

“I like the sound of that. They can keep to their business and we can keep to ours,” She replied matter-of-factly, bubblegum eyes glancing to him briefly.
the staff team luvs u
03-31-2021, 06:06 AM
^^The'd never jostled much when it came to their places. Hades hadn't wanted to rule them all - not at the start, and certainly not now. “When....At the start, it was...I wasn't strong enough then. I ended up drawing the Underworld. It was busy. Judging, assigning roles, it never ended. There was no time for just lounging about - not like Zeus.” Hades explained quietly. “I didn't exactly make a lot of time for just having fun and fooling around. The system worked, though, and it was.....fairly neat.” He had to admit that. He liked the sound of her tone and the notes of pride there, that possessive flourish. “It was predictable - that's the way I'd like things to be. Organized, like that.” Hades leaned in, nosing at the soft back of her ear. “There was less strife that way.”

Hades wasn't ready to talk about what happened. Not in the beginning. Not how everything was. He liked it later, when he knew how the sun and the moon would make their journeys and who could direct what. The guess work was taken out of things, and for Hades, he preferred when it was efficient. “So if not for your mother, what you you pick to do?"”^^
the staff team luvs u
04-01-2021, 02:31 AM
Hades spoke, and she listened, attention rapt upon him as they walked. There was something about his tone, about the way he strung his words together that made Persephone look at him, a quiet question flickering behind her gaze; it wasn't an inquiry she gave voice to, preferring to simply let him talk and get whatever he had to say off his chest. It sounded a tiny bit like Hades had been a touch jealous of Zeus' lack of... work ethic? things to do? which 'Seph could understand, if she was being honest with herself. She would have been, too. She had been, especially when Mother had kept her working when everyone else had been able to sit around and relax.

Her ear twitched at the touch, flicking at his nose gently before she turned her head to look up at him again. “Things can be organized, but I'm not going to let you work all the time. Everyone needs breaks from stuff.” She'd force him to go on adventures with her if she had to, or take naps, or go swimming. There was any number of things they could do, things that did not have to involve Kings and Queens and rules.

“I...” The question made Persephone frown a touch, looking away to examine where they were. Spring was blooming all around them, it seemed, from the perpetually green evergreens to the lush forest floor, there was a new sort of life that whispered through the pines. If she focused, like Mother had taught her, would she feel that life? Or would it escape her as it always had? The flowers that bloomed, the twitter of birds, the scent of fresh pine, all of it told Persephone that she didn't need to focus to feel Spring coming into existence around her.

“I don't know,” She answered, voice quiet, soft as she looked to the river.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top