Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
we was taught to give the shirt off our back to anyone who needs it

Evening Partly Cloudy
P
Adventurer
09-12-2022, 07:47 PM
She had left @Cassius on the narrow strip that made up unclaimed land beside Vanderfell Woods. There weren't on anyone's territory, but close enough to leave Elysium and trek back within a day. Tallulah would make good on the work she'd put toward the pack in return for shelter and a place to store her belongings.

Having vowed to the wolf-dog that she'd come back, she left him alone for a day before returning. A sparse sort of woodland and plains made up the space between Tundra and Mountain. The space wasn't very wide nor fruitful, but it was enough to settle for the time being. "Cassius?" She called out to him, walking to where they were going to meet.

Tallulah waited for the man to appear, sitting on her rump.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 53568461_UCgDR8zToPO5WLQ.png]
FALLING TOO FAST TO PREPARE FOR THIS
TRIPPING IN THIS WORLD COULD BE DANGEROUS
Adventurer
09-12-2022, 08:45 PM
They had been having a splendid time making their way north from Rippling Heights. Rippling Heights was at least what Tallulah had called it and Cass had no reason to deny she was wrong. Ahead of him, tall peaks rose even higher into the sky until their tops were hidden behind the clouds. On either side of the steep slopes, mountain sheep stood precariously on thin ledges, staring at them in a judging manner. Cass knew better than to mess with those that donned large, curling horns upon their crowns. He still eyed them the same, wondering if they were tasty or just plain gamy from all the climbing they did.

Keeping to a path that was dense with wolf scent, he knew it would be safer to linger where other predator scents did not permeate. Tallulah had left him to explore the surrounding area while she tended to some business before returning to him. During the day's time that he was alone, he set about finding different nooks, crannies, and dens that may harbor animals tucked away for the coming cold months. After hunting down a quick snack of a snowshoe hare, he meandered down toward a valley area. Parched, he found himself a small stream that ran from the higher peaks down toward the bottom. As he leaned his muzzle down to take a few sips, he heard his name being called out.

Both ears flicked forward as he glanced toward the speckled girl that now sat at the bottom of the valley. Since a day had passed, he blinked a few times, wondering if he now was seeing a ghost. He definitely knew her from somewhere in his past. Something to do with an older wolf and a ranch? What was a ranch? His brow furrowed as he made his way over a rock outcropping, he practically slid his way down the rest of the slope. "Miss Tallulah, glad yer made it back safe an' sound," he greeted with a wag of his stumpy tail. Cass made sure to glance around their surroundings once more to ensure they were safe before closing the gap between them. 

Unable to shake the feeling that he really did know her in his past life, the wolfdog took a seat beside Tallulah.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
09-12-2022, 09:53 PM
Her tail wagged, thumping against the cool earth. Whatever had transpired in the past realm was slowly bleeding into this one. Her feelings of confident trust in Cassius, knowing she could rely on him despite her memories trapped behind a wall... It was real. She knew to trust her gut. "Glad yer still here" she pointed out, softly grinning. He could have left. It left a testament to his character that he remained as vowed.

She pointed her nose in the direction of Fate's Respite. "There's a pack there" she informed the man "well, more than one" This time, her nose went to where Fate's Summit was "Vanderfell Woods' the claim there - location o' Fate's Summit" And back "Fate's Respite houses Elysium." He closed the gap between them like old friends, sitting next to her. Tallulah resisted pushing into his fur, despite the deja vu.

Maybe they were both wrong about it. She hoped this wouldn't come back and bite her arse later. "Miss Valeska greeted me, let me walk the border" she added "asked bout things, sat down to chat. Didn't try to recruit me. She just... talked about this here realm. Informed me o' the stuff going on." The murder was none of her business, so she didn't say anything to Cassius about it. No use getting worked up when it was being handled.

As for Vanderfell. "Hieronymous one of the leaders of Vanderfell" she said "also friendly, kind 'nough" But she felt drawn to Elysium more because they hadn't tried to claim a spot that was off their territory for huntin'. That and Valeska was a nice lady "but Miss Valeska offered shelter even without being in the pack. She offered a den, somewhere safe t' sleep... I dunno, Cassius. I think I like them more."

She turned to look at her new ally. 

"Freedom with loose borders" Tallulah voiced "ya don't have to bow to an'one. They're neutral, no enemies with allies that are respectful and kind too" She shuffled against the ground "it could be a step to learnin' more about Canis. Especially how to git back" She bites a sigh "and if... if we can't git back? I'd rather be safe, with friends surroundin' me."

the staff team luvs u
09-13-2022, 02:14 PM
There was something familiar in the way that she smiled at him. How he couldn't help but reveal a small smile in return and enjoy the sound her tail made as it thumped against the stone beneath them. "Not sure where else I'd go," he responded as he let out a light chuckle. His blue eyes glanced over at hers and noticed how they almost matched each other. It was odd to see your own gaze reflected back at you but to Cassius, it was warm and welcoming. As if he had known her his whole life. Shaking off the feeling that he knew her from the past, his eyes moved away to look in the direction that her nose pointed.

From their perch upon the mountainous slope, he noticed how the jagged peaks of the mountains rose to form a wall on one side of the valley. Just to the right of Fate's Respite, where Tall now pointed, was what she also called Fate's Summit. He wondered how she quickly found out the names of these places. How long had she been here in comparison to himself? There was an itching feeling as they sat beside each other that maybe it would be nice to lean into her. To feel the softness of her fur, the warmth of her body, the embrace of a dear old friend... Cass blinked quickly a few times as he snapped back to reality. No, that would be weird if he did that. 

Fighting the urge to smack his forehead to tell himself to pay attention, he continued to look on at the area she spoke about. He let out a gruff nod of approval as she concluded that she preferred this Elysium over Vanderfell. Something, again, tickled inside of him that he should trust her judgment. That she hadn't led him astray before so why would she now? But... had there been a before? His brow furrowed as he tried to sort through the fogginess of his memories while still listening to what she had to say. She did have a good point though. There was no use not making their own friends and allies just in case there was no way back home. 

Nodding slowly, he let his gaze wander back to meet hers. "Miss Tal, yer ain't wrong. Not sure if I likes the idear of joinin' a pack straight away, but havin' somewhere safe with some trus'worthy folks would do good in the meantime," his voice is cautious for now as he holds her gaze a moment longer. Again, something flickered in his mind that this wasn't the first time he had stared at those ocean blues. Unable to shake the feeling, he looks back toward the northeastern area where she said Elysium was to be. Would that region be good enough for them? Already he felt cold as is being this far into the mountain, but perhaps they found a warmer pocket or were simply adjusted to the area better.

"Why don' we take our time fer the day and hunt us somethin' to eat before headin' up there?" While he had just had a snack earlier that day, he wanted to get to know her more. Spend some time with her without the pressure of pack boundaries making him uncomfortable. If they were lucky, they could snatch something large enough to bring the extra up to Elysium as a thank you gift for being hospitable. Cass may have his rough sides but he did have manners.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
09-13-2022, 03:30 PM
It felt like a cheat.

She knew him. She knew him so much that her mind buzzed and nearly burned with the wall her memories were locked behind. She didn't like it. She didn't like how he was so familiar and also not. Was there a reason Cassius was here, with her now? Did they fall here together, a failure of a past life? Tallulah was not a religious sort. Nor spiritual. She didn't believe in things like fate or entwined destinies. But it was hard not to when she looked at him - and he looked at her.

Not sure where else I'd go.

He had said this, with certainty and trust behind her judgment. If she was a tickled wallflower, she would blush. Tallulah squinted a little instead, wondering how it had come to this point. If it had been just her, she would have reckoned a mistake. Cassius too? It felt like something dumped them here deliberately. To prove a point or just toy with them. "Well" she resisted shuffling and tittering like a fool "I'm glad yer here." All her previous companions left - their own lives to live.

She didn't doubt they had one here in Canis. Perhaps they had given up getting back. Perhaps... the control tactic of memory wiping had been true. With no memory of life previously lived, they were free to start a new life here. "Ye don't have to join em, Cass" she slipped up, calling him a nickname instead. Another moment jolted through her, another memory retrieved. Cass. Cass. Cass. But who was the old wolf with the blue eyes? "I'm sure Ms. Valeska would let ye stay regardless, come and go as ye please."

She didn't like begging. This familiar man could stay or leave as he liked, even if she didn't like it.

"I just want to have a base, o' sorts" she added. Cassius suggested hunting, coming back with a favor or two for the pack's cache. She nodded, even if she knew Valeska would welcome them without gifts "the alpha told me she had kids in t' pack" Letting her gaze drift across the location and away from staring too long "if we find som'thing interestin' and safe, I'd like to bring it back fer them too." Bones could be choking hazards. She'd rather bring back a pretty rock, too big to swallow.

Tallulah rose from her position and walked a short distance away. The mountain slope gave them a vantage point over any prey. She immediately smelt hare. Her eyes shifted to Cass, motioning for him to come to check it out. While a goat would be welcomed instead, she knew it wasn't good to exert themselves over dragging food to Elysium.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top