Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Scenic world

Afternoon Partly Cloudy
P
Elysium
Haldis
Adventurer
08-29-2022, 11:08 PM
It had been delicious.

An entire morning and part of an afternoon spent utterly in freedom, ranging from the general mountains to the outskirts of the tundra that lay just north of their territory - she hadn't come up this way in some time, and wondered vaguely whereabouts Duskguard might be in relation to their claim. She would have to pay them a visit soon, especially now since her pups were up and about.

She approached the edge of the Everfrost, recalling a few past jaunts through its tall, pointed trees, but halted suddenly when she got wind of an unfamiliar pack-scent.

So much had happened in just a few months! She could hardly believe it; the Everfrost had been such a convenient byway for wandering wolves, but she supposed it was only a matter of time before someone called it home at last.

Well, it made sense to be neighborly. Raising her head, she let out a short howl of greeting, hoping to meet what fresh blood had settled so close to her own home.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: m7jPOzS.png]
09-04-2022, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2022, 10:16 AM by Sorina. Edited 3 times in total.)
Her morning patrol was going horribly.

Though the skies were draped in the finest, ice blue. The snow that had fell the previous night had been unspoilt, mostly, crisp and fresh in the dazzling morning light. The crystalline shimmer of untouched snow always took her breath away, the way everything seemed frozen to that singular point in time. Perhaps in her own way, this was her way of meditation? The Queen often found herself seeking solstice in the late night or early morning hours, where no one hailed her. No one needed her. Where she was alone in the world, the ice and snows. To sing a song of her blood.

And yet she could not focus. She could not will the peace. Her heart felt heavy, guilt seemed to be a forever frozen blanket, laying thick and suffocating around her chest. In her childish temper, she had caused the death of another. Indirectly. But the blood may as well be upon her dark paws.

Not only that, Eldritch could have lost her life too, fighting him. She could have spent the rest of her miserable life not knowing where her loyal friend had gone. That her death would also be a strike upon her soul.

Now, Sorina was not a godly woman. She was not necessarily a good one, either. But @ "Rosencrantz" death did not bring peace. It brought torment and pain.

Pain for the man that she lost.

Had the howl not caught her, Sorina would have most likely walked past the woman at her own boarders, being oh so involved in her own thoughts. Swift paws found easy navigation over fresh snow and thus, the figure came into view. Seemingly moulded from ice its self, draped in monochrome with similar eyes that shimmered. Greetings, The Queen beckoned, pushing down all remaining thoughts. Pushing away the dull ache of that beating heart. Her tail rose,a dominant display. She did not follow with aggression. You find yourself at the boarders of Haldis. How may I help you?

She would force a small smile, for it was the only thing she could muster.

@Valeska
the staff team luvs u
[Image: dfeo71b-911a2cce-24b2-4a18-bbb4-e6a43b76...BhW7Iv8uLQ]
Erebus is allowed in any of Sorina’s threads.
Adventurer
09-08-2022, 12:40 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2022, 03:23 PM by Valeska. Edited 1 time in total.)
At first she feared her call would go unanswered, but at last a dark wolf materialized upon the glittering horizon, its feminine form wrapped in shadows. She cut an imposing figure to be sure, tall and well-muscled, but more than that she noted the sternness of her expression. The stranger did manage to force out a smile - thin and pained - which was, at the very least, encouraging. Valeska noted the way her tail rose, and surmised that she must be the new overseer now guarding the Everfrost.

Interesting. She had never smelled her before.

“Hello, wolf of Haldis,” she replied good-naturedly, smiling much broader in return and offering a small dip of her head by way of greeting. “I am Valeska, High Priestess - er, well - titles are confusing, but I watch over Elysium. We are your neighbors to the east, on the other side of the mountains.”

The lady had not offered her name, but she supposed it was her duty to convey intent first.

“Oh, I do not require assistance - I was just taking my first walk away from Fate's Respite since the birth of my children, and wished to enjoy the scenery again,” Valeska continued, glancing around appreciatively. “I was surprised to find the Everfrost finally claimed! But it is a beautiful territory, and wish you well in its splendor. Have you been here long?”

The question was fairly open-ended, and could be answered in regards to either Haldis's claim specifically, or the world they found themselves in at large.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
09-19-2022, 06:01 PM
Bright yellow eyes respectfully welcomed her, Hello, wolf of Haldis,” And an odd use of words to match, there was a linger of foreign tongue woven neatly between softly spoken words.  “I am Valeska, High Priestess - er, well - titles are confusing, but I watch over Elysium. We are your neighbors to the east, on the other side of the mountains.”  And information quickly given. Sorina was glad she did not have to work to glean a title, for once, the quick start was welcome. While the Lady Paramount enjoyed the dance of gathering information, after the most recent events-she had found herself quick to tire and irritability to flicker within her chest. "I see. A pleasure to meet you, a High Priestess Valeska." So many new faces. So many new names seemed to flock and gather to see who claimed the mighty Everfrost. 

It sung to Sorina's icy heart, for she adored the attention. Thrived off it.

"If we are to exchange titles, then I shall give you my own. I am known as Sorina Saxe-Salvatoré, Lady Paramount." She would give Valeska a small smile. 

Oh, I do not require assistance - I was just taking my first walk away from Fate's Respite since the birth of my children, and wished to enjoy the scenery again,”  Fate's Respite. East on the other side of the Mountains. Now, with each new face she was able to glean more of the world she had found herself within. This would prove useful for the coming months of Haldis' claim. She needed to know exactly who here neighbours were and more importantly, who posed as a  threat. "Then let me offer your congratulations, the successful birth of one's progeny must always be celebrated." It seemed every woman who held a title, bore children most recently.

And she was falling behind.

“I was surprised to find the Everfrost finally claimed! But it is a beautiful territory, and wish you well in its splendor. Have you been here long?” Her dark ears flicked such simmering jealousy away, for now was not the time nor place. "It is indeed. Thank you." A dip of her dark crown was given. "We have been here for only a few moons, I believe." Indeed, it had been an eventful few months. "But not without strife... unfortunately, we were raided not too long ago."  Bitterness still lingered upon her tongue, biting in her stomach as she spoke. "Tell me, Valeska, have you heard of a band called Enemies of The Sheep?" Valeska seemed nice enough, there was genuine sincerity within her words... she did not want other packs to suffer the same that Haldis had-so far, her neighbours had been kind enough to offer the possibility of alliances, of friendship. She thought herself to do the same.

Even the notion sounded foreign upon her tongue.

@Valeska
the staff team luvs u
09-19-2022, 11:59 PM
"If we are to exchange titles, then I shall give you my own. I am known as Sorina Saxe-Salvatoré, Lady Paramount."

Valeska smiled and nodded in understanding, figuring Paramount was a title roughly equivalent to 'alpha' or 'queen'. Her name, however, struck a chord - she had know two Salvatorés from the Land Before, and felt her eyebrows raise of their own accord. Rhelenso and Leviathan. The former she had encountered here, shockingly, and though they had tried to rekindle their whirlwind romance, it had ended in tears and heartbreak; his prolonged absence had allowed the flames of her affection to cool, while Amaranth and her loyalty and subtle sensuality had slowly taken his place.

It had been a shame. She loved him, but - she pictured what her life might have been like. Imagining a world without Dimitri, Violet, Sreda, Narcissa, Alder - without Amaranth as her beloved - it seemed empty. Surely they would have had children of their own, of course, but they wouldn't have been hers. Amaranth's.

Valeska loved her strange family exactly as it was, and she put the thought behind her.

All of this introspection occurred over the span of exactly two seconds, and she blinked, smiling genially upon receiving Sorina's congratulations. “Thank you; though it seems that every day they strive for death with all of the nonsense they get up to,” she replied with a light laugh, wondering if her pups were actively doing something stupid right now since she was thinking about it.

Sorina was difficult to read. Her expression shifted only marginally, and in ways that the High Priestess could not quite decipher - she did not seem actively displeased or hostile, so she brushed the concern aside for now. So far she seemed quite reasonable.

“Enemies of the... Sheep?” she queried, tilting her head for emphasis. A strange name, but perhaps there was some deeper meaning behind it she did not grasp. “No, I do not - how awful that you were attacked. It was unprovoked? What could they ever seek to gain from such a grave move?”

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
09-25-2022, 03:10 PM
Was that confliction within the pale Preistess' facade? Her golden gaze seemed to flicker with something, something that resonated from within Sorina's own chest. Yes she knew that very well-torn devotion, a conflicted soul. It was something that Sorina resonated with on a daily basis-being guilt-ridden and perhaps, a little heart broken, even if she did not want to admit it. Deep down, she did miss the company of Rosencrantz, even in his stubborn, spiteful ways. And yet the topic was quickly changed to Valeska's progeny, so she dropped that idea... of prising the information out of the Priestess. Her goal was to make friends, alliances for her budding Empire... not enemies. Sorina would empathise, battling down the rising jealousy that seemed to boil within her veins. One day, she would whisper. One day, she would have a family of her own. 

“Enemies of the... Sheep?” 

That was unfortunate: no recognition there, perhaps these wolves were newly formed... and decided to claim Haldis as their first target? Dark brows furrowed with concern, dipping her muzzle in confirmation. "Yes. Quite a strange name, do you not think?" Odd indeed, but then again, this land that she had found herself upon was no different, either. Odd in its own, beautiful way. “No, I do not - how awful that you were attacked. It was unprovoked? What could they ever seek to gain from such a grave move?” The dark Queen shook her head. "Completely unprovoked, Haldis does not wage war, nor do we have any interest in conquering. But I believe they raided "just for the fun of it". They did not kill or want to take The Everfrost. I believe it was aimed to shake us. We were newly founded at the time.." A sigh whispered through her nostrils and into the dim air above. "I am concerned for budding packs in the North, if they did it to Haldis-they will most likely aim for others just the same..." 

@Valeska

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
09-27-2022, 01:29 AM
Sorina remained utterly unflinching, any turmoil or snaps of envy hidden well behind her steady gaze. It might have been a little unsettling if she wasn't so polite, and if nothing else, Valeska admired the way she carried herself with such an easy grace. Lady Paramount, although perhaps a mouthful, was more than fitting.

As their discussion continued, Valeska still found herself musing over the peculiar name of the roving band that attacked Haldis. In her very literal mind, she wondered why they called themselves Enemies of the Sheep specifically - for wolves were naturally enemies of most prey items they encountered. Had the sheep fought back? Was it a vendetta against the whole of their species, or did the wolves of that pack simply not like their taste?

She wished she had someone to ask.

They did not kill or want to take The Everfrost. I believe it was aimed to shake us. We were newly founded at the time... I am concerned for budding packs in the North, if they did it to Haldis-they will most likely aim for others just the same...

Valeska wrinkled her nose in disgust.

“How cruel,” she said bitterly, “I am certain the gods will deal with them, whether by their own means or working through other mortal paws. Some like to think they are above the consequences of poor behavior, but the stars and the gods within them - they do not avert their gaze.”

She remembered her encounter with Houtu many moons back, her glittering form made up entirely of stars as she parted the clouds to look down upon the earth. Valeska knew then that her faith was not misplaced - the celestials all but walked among them, their eyes forever-watchful and unblinking. Just because they could not see the gods, did not mean that they did not exist.

She would never forget that night.

Sorina mentioned Haldis was not keen on waging war, and the High Priestess felt comforted by this. “Elysium also does not seek out conflict,” she said matter-of-factly, glancing back toward the direction of home. “We do not have any enemies, currently, but are already allies with Duskguard further to the north. I am always keen to make friends, and wonder if you might also be interested in a mutual agreement of good-will?”

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-02-2022, 03:29 PM
It was nice to see another care. Another be concerned for the safety of others. While Sorina did not consider herself a good and moral woman, she did have a tender spot for those that rode under her icy banner. Any kind of sympathy; she would swallow greedily. Any help offered, she would begrudgingly accept. She would not fall to the illness of her Father. His pride, she assumed, costed him his Kingdom. Sorina vowed not to make the same mistake.

I am certain the gods will deal with them, whether by their own means or working through other mortal paws. Some like to think they are above the consequences of poor behavior, but the stars and the gods within them - they do not avert their gaze.”  Her forced smile kept the scoff falling from her jaws. Religion was something she did not believe in, for she was too proud to bow to another-especially a being that had never presented its self to her... no. There was too much cruelty to believe in a god, or any gods. They were the mortals that forged their own path. Not some devotee blinded by servitude. "They will meet their downfall. That I am sure of." Whether it be by her own paws, or another's. She would see to that personally, if she ever got the chance.

“Elysium also does not seek out conflict,”  The matter of fact statement rose her dark brows, now this was more along Sorina's way of things-blunt and straight to the point. Small talk and god preaching practically bored her to death.  We do not have any enemies, currently, but are already allies with Duskguard further to the north. I am always keen to make friends, and wonder if you might also be interested in a mutual agreement of good-will?”  Currently. Though her ears perked at the mention, "Duskgard? I am in due talks to forge an alliance with them. Any friend of Duskgard... is a friend of mine." She would offer a warmer smile, along with a wag of her tail.

Yes. Haldis needed every single ounce of friendship offered, if they were to survive. 
@Valeska
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
10-07-2022, 03:22 PM
Sorina remained stoic throughout her conjecture concerning the gods, her picture-perfect smile never once leaving her face. She didn't strike the High Priestess as someone who might be particularly interested in spirituality, but she at least made a brave show of it for the sake of politeness. Valeska knew what she had seen - others had as well - but one could not easily explain the unexplainable.

Houtu had manifested before her very eyes. Her paws trembled at the memory.

Nevertheless, their conversation glided smoothly on, and a proud look sparked from the dark she-wolf's eyes as she hissed out the certainty of her enemy's impending demise. Valeska wondered if she might seek out vengeance on her own, but thought it may not be wise to ask.

The mention of Duskguard stirred immediate recognition. Sorina's eyes opened just a fraction of an inch wider, still holding her expression under tight command. The silver wolf felt herself smiling, delighted that her new acquaintance had already met with them so soon - especially under good terms.

“How wonderful! Their own Priestess, Olive, served as midwife when I gave birth,” she said joyfully, pushing past the dark moments of her delivery when Sreda had emerged, her delicate body still and lifeless - and it was only through Olive's efforts that her soul had returned from Houtu's embrace. “As Duskguard is friend to us both, I must also extend the kinship from Elysium to Haldis. I shall take care to inform my pack-mates of Everfrost's new ownership, so that the rest of us do not wander in unawares.”

Valeska straightened, then, and cast a glance back homeward. Already she felt herself missing her pups, which was strange considering she had only been away from them for a short time - but perhaps that was the nature of motherhood. As frustrating and stressful as her brood could be, the constant busyness coupled with their cries for attention and comfort made the silver woman feel a pang in her heart.

“Well, mercifully we are only a short walk to the southeast, and Duskguard lay just ahead in the Frostfang Vale. We have a marvelous healer in our pack - my sister, Harper - should the need ever arise, though I hope you remain unmolested as you further settle into your claim,” she added worriedly, wondering if the Sheep Enemies would rise again to cause havoc in Sorina's new home. “I shall pray that the gods watch over you and yours, and may the blessings of the Five follow your steps.”

the staff team luvs u
10-15-2022, 06:07 PM
“How wonderful! Their own Priestess, Olive, served as midwife when I gave birth,”
Ah, yes... children. One of the things Sorina wanted but did not have. She had may men, but yet had not found the right one to give her what she needed. A partner, or at least one good enough to further her name. Rosencrantz a lost cause... "Oh, that is delightful." She responded with the same forced smile. Yes, she knew the ways of politics well... the perfect masked Courtier. A wolf in sheep's clothing.I shall take care to inform my pack-mates of Everfrost's new ownership, so that the rest of us do not wander in unawares.” A small dip of her dark muzzle was given. "My thanks, I shall inform my own. Though should that happen, we will welcome with open arms. Any allies will be welcome within my walls." Sorina did not see the need for audiences and arranged meetings, no. Allies should be welcomed and honoured guests, friends. 

We have a marvelous healer in our pack - my sister, Harper - should the need ever arise, though I hope you remain unmolested as you further settle into your claim,” Dark brows rose. "You are too kind, Valeska. I shall keep that in mind." With a wag of her tail; icy eyes watched the Priestess intently. "Safe travels. Farewell, for now." She then bid the High Priestess goodbye, returning to the heart of the Everfrost.

-Exit Sorina-

~@Valeska

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top