Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Want the good and the bad, everything in between.

Late Evening Sunny/Clear
P
Shiroshika
08-27-2022, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2022, 05:06 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 1 time in total.)
When the last of their children at last settled to sleep, Quicksilver encouraged his mate out into the clearing just beyond the whelping den with him. At six weeks of age, the pups were getting stronger and bolder with each day - he saw how they thrived, how they yearned for newness. He figured it'd be appropriate to discuss with Reiko about setting up a new rendezvous for them in the coming fortnight. A change of scenery would do them all good, he felt, even if it was within the heart of Skelmir's Pass.

More importantly, they'd need to better consider a more permanent relocation for Shiroshika - not just their litter. There was so much more they had to discuss as leaders, but time alone with one another came only in fleeting moments. The druid wanted to savour a quiet hour with his snowflower, where they could simply enjoy one another's company without worrying about family or politics.

He loved their brood, little family unit they'd built together, but, “I miss getting you all to myself.” Quicksilver smiled fondly at her, and reached across the space between them to nibble affectionately at the feathered alabaster furs of Reiko's cheek.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Untitled_Artwork.png]
Medic
08-27-2022, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2022, 04:47 PM by Reiko.)
It all passed like a dream. From a never-ending nightmare that kept haunting her, chasing from the depths of her past, nipping at her heels no matter how fast she ran - to what felt more like a fairy tale dream that she didn't want to wake from. She spent as much time with her new bundles of joy as she could, with her new husband and then the rest of her time was continuing the duties she had been putting off to bathe in the joys that had finally come.

Slowly she let herself get swept away by Quicksilver. Tucking in the little ones and making certain they were comfortable and warm, every time she left them was a task. Eventually, she managed to tear herself away with her husband's beckoning, to which after the anxiety of leaving their children in the care of someone else had faded, was nice. Gluing herself to his side as they walked, she didn't have to worry about her post-birth appearance as he, unlike Noboru didn't berate her with insults about how she gained weight. How her body would never look the same and other... perverted insults she couldn't bare putting energy into to remembering this very moment.

No, it was easy to let the sleeping demons lay and bask in the moment. “You say this now, but they will age faster than you realize.” It came from experience. Quicksilver would soon see it to be true in time but for now, while he nipped at her cheek she'd caress his feathery tail with her own.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
Medic
Counsellor
08-27-2022, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2022, 06:11 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 1 time in total.)
At his gesture she bumped up against him, let him move in close; even after all this time she brought butterflies to life in his abdomen. It was crazy how much life she breathed into him - how they'd met a year and a half ago and her proximity still made him feel so strongly. Quicksilver crooned a loving note for Reiko's ears only and allowed himself a moment to bask in the mesh of her furs among his own.

“I know,” the druid agreed, withdrawing from his snowflower only to keep them from tripping over one another as they sauntered, “it's just... nice. To have some time alone.”

Their chosen baby-sitter was reliable, he knew, though he understood a mother's concern. Reiko had devoted almost all of her time to their brood, nursing and tending and cleaning, easily their primary parent while he assumed a role of guardian and provider. He brought food and safe things to play with, stood guard while they frolicked in the clearing beyond their den, and kissed tears away whenever they were frightened or hurt. For a time, the dove had been everything to them. He could only imagine how difficult it must be for her to give herself some freedom.

He glanced her way again, a softness in his pastel eyes. “They'll be fine,” he told her softly, to ease any underlying concern, “I bet they'll still be sound asleep by the time we return.”

the staff team luvs u
Medic
08-27-2022, 05:19 PM
The Emperor, father, husband assured he knew the passage of time when it came to children. “Then all you will have is just me.” She teased, letting that playful side of her twinkle even just a little after months of hibernation from stress and anxieties that had hushed those melodic tones. She spoke as if it was a punishment for him to be stuck with her as they aged, when their children no longer needed them and the parents were left to their own devices. But honestly, she adored that thought. As beautiful and sad as it may be, to age, to grow old and become a grandmother. A great grandmother, no longer able to bear her own children but instead cared for the little ones her own brood had brought with Quicksilver at her side while they occupied themselves with duties with Quicksilver at her side.

It was just another step in life. One she would welcome when the time came.

As much as she kept herself to the children's side, Quicksilver's diligence and care didn't go unnoticed. His little gifts, attention, and protectiveness.

When he glanced over at her while they walked, she would press her nose against his silver cheek this time. Already expressing how he missed it being just the two of them, she would let the topic of the children fade for now so they could get lost in marital bliss.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Paladin
08-28-2022, 10:34 AM
Quiet fell between Shiroshika's royal pair, but still Quicksilver wondered of many things: where they could safely relocate their pack, if Hotaru would ever let go of her difficult past and make room for change, when they'd be able to live peacefully. There was much he needed to discuss with Reiko at length and he worried over whether or not they'd agree over certain things, given their most recent conflict over the terms of allying with Vanderfell. They were topics for another day, however. The druid cast them to the back of his mind and leaned into the gesture of his beloved, content to bask in the delayed "honeymoon" phase of their relationship.

He loped forward a few paces, tail flagging in encouragement for her to follow. He remembered the game of chase she'd initiated when first they met in the lowlands near Fate's Summit, when they'd romped carefree with one another through the snowy woods. Quicksilver emitted a playful little yip and whirled around to face the Empress briefly, mischief in his grin, before he veered away and attempted to lead her at a run through the maze.

the staff team luvs u
08-28-2022, 08:17 PM
While her husband bounded forward playfully, the Empress stopped in her tracks for a moment while watching. Wondering what he was doing, but garnering some kind of inkling of what it might be Her tail swayed in anticipation. It had been so long since she, especially they had played at all. it was such a rare occurrence to have a moment for themselves, without puppies, troubles or politics being in the way.

As he yipped she bounced toward him. Tail high and flagged, lose in a playful manner as she aimed to bounce her shoulder off of his while bounding ahead. Turning to see if he was following her now all the while turning back around to run off a little further. It reminded her of butterflies in spring. Frolicking in the air in their whimsical dance, playing off of one another in a delicate duet.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Counsellor
08-30-2022, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2022, 06:24 PM by Quicksilver.)
She understood his silent invitation and came bounding his way, enthusiasm in her dancer's stride. The druid welcomed his snowflower closer, too tall and strong to be swayed by the buffet of her form against his shoulder, and ran with her. He relished the freedom of their movements, their opportunity to lose themselves to the maze of the trickster's pass and enjoy a rare evening alone together. Quicksilver barked his joy, reaching to nip playfully at her heels or hindquarters whenever she was within reach, and whirling off to the side or ahead in attempt to avoid retaliation.

When at last they were spent, Quicksilver lowered himself in the cool grasses and welcomed the Empress to him so they might catch their breath. A great moon shone above them and lightning bugs danced nearby; the atmosphere was peaceful and he found himself afraid to break the sense of calm surrounding them.

“I think,” he began gently, “that I'd like to visit Tsukiishi again sometime soon.”

the staff team luvs u
08-30-2022, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2022, 06:43 PM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
It was an unspoken game of tag. While she bounded off ahead, Quicksilver was true to his name and swiftly when he was done chasing, tagged her back with a nip at her heels. Naturally with as much grace as she could muster with the speed of which they ran, would turn to try and give him chase in turn.

Every now and then she'd clip his tail feathers and like this, they could continue to run after one another until both were out of breath. Panting, she found her rightful place by him to rest. His warmth a little too much in this weather, but she would endure keeping their closeness.

Curious and slightly shocked, round eyes gazed at her husband after stating such a wild desire. “Is there any particular reason?” They had abandoned it for safety, and Quicksilver never seemed like the type to enjoy the cold. It was beyond her why he would do anything but remain in the mountains where he always seemed to be.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
Counsellor
08-30-2022, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2022, 04:26 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 2 times in total.)
The proximity of his Vanderfell family had made the transition to Shiroshika easy, but now that the cubs were growing fast and better finding their feet, he was keen to branch away to seek something entirely their own. He had discussed it briefly with Ira following the coming-of-age ceremony for her first litter and he'd considered it at length. Soon the cold season would come and the herds would move on. He would miss the closeness of friends, but the last thing he wanted was for their packs to suffer in support of another.

Quicksilver wished to scout in search of an appropriate place to serve as home to those he led, but he did not know where to begin. He liked to think he knew the surrounding lands better than most, and other than the beautiful Elsewhen he could not think of a single place he would wish to make his own. Distance was not something he wished to place between themselves and their allies, and recently he'd turned thought toward the abandoned Tsukiishi.

“I...” he was anxious to bring it up to her, wary of spoiling the good energy between them, “it has been some time. There has been not a sniff of the tiger nor his associates around here since the incident in the Everfrost.” A small smile, delicate and hopeful, curved at his lips as he sought Reiko's cobalt gaze, “if your mountains are safe, and if it's what you want, I'd like to take you home to them.”

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-31-2022, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2022, 09:01 PM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
Nervously she waited for his explanation. For this reason, he would possibly want to visit Tsukiishi. Was he going to scout to see if Valmúa or Kuhn were around, thus endangering himself? Was there something else he needed to pick up left behind in the snowy peaks of Tsukiishi? His anxiety was palpable as the words flowed slowly like syrup.

"I'd like to take you home to them." Those words made her eyes sparkle. She too was anxious at the thought of returning to Tsukiishi. So much had happened there, but perhaps it truly was safe to return to. Feathered plumes bounced against the ground at the possibility of returning to their original claim; to the beautiful peaks, they had originally claimed. “We must be certain.” Despite wanting to squeal in glee and excitement at the thought, there were issues that needed to be secured first.

Hotaru was now a young woman, an adult in the eyes of all who saw her - but they also had newer children to care for. “You must take others with you, just in case.” Would @Thraximundar or @Rajani assist Quicksilver too as a neutral party? If either would agree... should either make a visit before Quicksilver's travel - would make their journey that much safer. “As much as I love the idea of returning to Tsukiishi should it be safe... I cannot lose you.”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
Paladin
08-31-2022, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2022, 04:27 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 2 times in total.)
He loved the glow in her eyes when he spoke of her mountains, the way she lit up at the mere mention of them. Quicksilver felt his heart skip a beat and his tail flopped, triumphant. The druid wanted only to give her things to be happy about; Tsukiishi was a mystery to them, presently, but he felt a responsibility to ensure its safety. Despite Shiroshika having abandoned the territory and their initial plans to locate somewhere new to start over, the silver towers would forever be dear to Reiko. They were hers, always, and they meant something.

Because she loved them so, Quicksilver wanted her to have them.

“I will,” was his soft vow that he would not venture into the unknown by himself, a caress of his lips to the dove's feathered cheek in gentle reassurance. “@Ira offered a scout, should we have need of one.” He trusted Shiroshika's wolves and he trusted Vanderfell's, but he wished to see it for himself as well. With the lives of his children involved, Quicksilver felt it his duty to make sure nothing sinister could disrupt his family's peace. The Empress expressed a concern over losing him and the silverwhite felt a little jolt of electricity within his chest; a hundred cats couldn't stop me from returning to you. I'll be fine.”

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-31-2022, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2022, 09:01 PM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
She'd lick his muzzle as he aimed to press a nose against her cheek. Regardless of all the reassurances, she would worry until his return. They had only crossed so many boundaries already to wind up together, for another barrier to place itself between them wasn't out of nature... especially with Hotaru calling their family "cursed".

“I have been getting to know some non-pack affiliates in recent days...” If she would request aid from either of those two, Quicksilver had the right to know they may pop by to check on him. “A kind, gentle giant polar bear named Thraxi...mumdar.” She still tried with that tongue twister of a name. Slowly but surely getting better. “And a blackened tiger with pale stripes who goes by Rajani.”

“I would feel more at ease if they knew of your trip as well.” She had seen what Kuhn could do to a dozen wolves, if they had either of those two around during this travel it would reassure her even further about the return of her beloved husband.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
Paladin
09-04-2022, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2022, 04:27 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 1 time in total.)
Reiko's mention of her non-wolf associates surprised the silverwhite, especially when she included a particularly interesting tidbit of information regarding the latter of them: he was a tiger. The medic's platinum ears sprung forward then splayed to the side, unsure how he felt about the proximity of a bear and big cat around his young family. “Are you sure that you trust them?” Quicksilver asked of his dove, pale eyes searching her face - that which had already been marked by the claws of a beast she seemed eager to rely on.

He would not. The druid was very aware of the discomfort that tugged suddenly at his gut as he considered the possibilities that the opening of Reiko's kind heart could bring. She'd insisted that she could not bear to lose him, and he felt a similar concern as he thought of all the pain and trauma that the last cat had rained down upon Shiroshika.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
09-14-2022, 09:00 PM
“As of right now, yes.” As strange as it was to admit. The trust would slowly build over time to ensure complete trust in all parties involved, both on Reiko's end for Shiroshika's safety, that of her family and of course herself as well - but also them in her and the rest of the wolves that were a part of her life. “Our enemies are large and vicious, and both of these individuals have given me no reason to distrust them.” They could use allies of all species. Individuals who even if minor, could lend a helping paw in assuring their peace.

“I do not wish to make weapons of them... but it would do us well to broaden our horizons. Carefully, cautiously, of course.”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
11-05-2022, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2022, 03:31 PM by Quicksilver.)
She confirmed that she did trust the bear and the cat, yet Quicksilver thought he detected a waver of hesitation in her words. He gave a thoughtful little frown at this, and turned focus to his own quiet concerns. After what happened to Shiroshika before they'd initiated the battle of the Everfrost, the druid was very reluctant to expand his acceptance beyond their own kind.

What did they want, these large predators? Outsiders rarely showed kindness without having something in return to benefit themselves. He hoped Reiko was not getting ahead of herself.

He did not trust them, but he did trust his mate. “Okay,” he agreed softly, a hint of a smile replacing the contemplative expression he'd had. Quicksilver reached to place a kiss to the snowflower's feathered white cheek. “We will head North later this week.”

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top