Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Curiosity killed the cat, lets hope not

P
08-27-2022, 12:07 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2022, 12:07 AM by Rajani.)
Curiosity had certainly gotten the better of him, something he didn't typically have happen a lot. He had started to move down from the tundra, wanting to explore places lower in the south. However, on his way, he felt like he needed to pass by this pack that clearly hated tigers. Why? Well because he wanted to check in on @Reiko. The strange woman that ran the pack had caught his attention, and though he would never say so, he wanted to see how she was doing.

The last they had met hadn't been on the best of terms, but he didn't really mind. He had noticed that she had gotten better around him, not showing as much fear as before. He always felt weird around her though, she was so tiny that he was afraid that just by looking at her, he would end up crushing her. So, even as he looked around outside the border in hopes of spotting her, he told himself that he would keep his distance.

the staff team luvs u

• Common
  • Russian
@Mishka is allowed in any of Rajani’s threads, private included
Medic
Shiroshika
08-27-2022, 01:07 AM
More and more she ventured out of the whelping den and left the newborn in the care of @Quicksilver. As much as she adored spending all the time possible with her family as possible, she couldn't shirk her duties as Empress forever. There were others who relied on them as well. Plus, it felt nice to have gotten rid of all the extra weight from carrying children and stretched her legs once more. No longer sore in the paws and feeling sick every morning. It would take some time before she slimmed back down to her previous physique, but she did so once and can do it again.

Taking a moment to check on the borders, she spotted a familiar figure skulking around just beyond their reach. “Rajani?” She called out softly, not wanting to draw too much attention to them. She was still uncertain about his species, but this one in particular... had given her no reason to fear him. He heard her story, and though perhaps had been hurt by her judgement - didn't seem to completely take it to heart. Nor did he attack or threaten in any of their previous encounters.

So she approached. Still giving him and her enough space to feel comfortable, she smiled sheepishly. Both glad to see him again and concerned should he prove her wrong and become another Kuhn - that, and should a Shiroshikan or Vanderfell come and see. “It is a pleasure to see you again. How have your travels treated you?”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
08-28-2022, 05:07 PM
He had indeed been sulking, searching around for the only wolf that had started to really accept him. Or at least that's what he thought about their whole situation. Sure enough though, he heard the soft, yet elegant voice call to him, her lavender scent quickly following. For a moment, he just breathed in the calming scent before realizing what he was doing. With a silent huff to himself, he would turn to her, a smile gracing his large features. "Reiko." He said simply, his voice deep as usual though he was clearly trying to not sound as gruff as he spoke to her, making his voice a bit awkward. 

With a nod, he would move to lay down as she approached, something he did often when she was near him. He knew how large he was and damn, she was so tiny. For a moment, he was scared that if he breathed on her too hard she would crumple. Still, he would flick his tail slightly, relaxing on his side and, in turn, letting his belly be shown. It wasn't something he did often, but it was a clear sign of trust between them. 

"I am good. Travel interesting, learning more 'bout packs. I head south soon, wanted to see how you doing." In reality, he had missed her, a stupid complex to him personally. Why would a tiger miss a wolf? Especially a wolf that had a pack, a mate and children? He had caught the scent of her mate on her, almost making him wrinkle his nose, but he kept himself from doing so.

the staff team luvs u

• Common
  • Russian
08-28-2022, 05:56 PM
The tiger smiled back, which made her tail flutter against her hindquarters. Swiftly, whether he knew what he was doing or no, had laid down in a vulnerable position that showed trust between himself and her. Something he would reciprocate by gently sitting where she stood and let her tail curl around her toes comfortably in a loose circle.

Even while he lay down, she couldn't help but observe just how large the felines were. Perhaps as tall as some wolves she had seen, but they were longer. Muscular and thick with power. It would have dredged up anxiety she had felt prior but as Rajani spoke of his travels and wanting to visit her, she beamed. Smiling brightly while her tail flickered again against her toes with life.

After all, she never wanted to hate his kind. It was simply the after-effect of months of hardship against a single feline.

“I am honoured.” If there was something else going on in the tiger's head, she was left unaware and only thankful for his friendly and relaxed nature. “We are doing much better, things have been peaceful...” She sighed blissfully. For once, there was nothing of note to be concerning. Well, other than the personal trouble between herself and her daughter, that wasn't something Rajani would like to hear. “We may be ready to move to somewhere more permanent soon, once the children are old enough to travel.” Where that was was still up for debate.

the staff team luvs u
08-28-2022, 08:34 PM
Seeing her relaxed made him happy, his tail flickering slightly behind him in a very calm and relaxed manner. "That good to hear, glad you are doing good." He would cock his head to the side slightly as she talked about moving, thinking for a moment before speaking. "Once you figure out where you move, let me know. I will scout for you." Sure, he figured she had scouts that would do that, but he was larger and more terrifying than any wolf at first glance, making him a much better creature to find any enemies that could linger. There was a hint of protectiveness in his voice, but he would turn away slightly, rolling onto his side. He was stressed and needed to relax. 

Rolling onto his back, he would stretch out, his paw stretching in an attempt to very lightly boop her leg, making sure to keep his giant claws hidden within his paws, figuring that she would freak out if she saw them. He would speak up softly, his voice careful as he did so. "I shall never harm you красивая. You will never have worry while I am around." And he meant that. He would protect her, regardless of if she had a pack or a mate. In Rajani's eyes, none of them could protect her as well as he could.

the staff team luvs u

• Common
  • Russian
08-28-2022, 09:54 PM
Rajani was kind. He offered to find them to continue his visits Reiko supposed and so long as it was a slow progression for not only Reiko to grow fond of the cat, but the rest of the pack to leave behind their fears and prejudice of tigers to let Rajani into their lives. Surely once their Empress felt comfortable enough and vouched for the tiger, they would all follow suit too. Nodding to his request, she'd let her head linger as a small bow. Keeping her eyes level with his all the while. “I will send our bird, Kazane, to find you.” With their wings, Kazane could find the tiger swifter than any wolf.

There was a moment of fear as she saw the paw, the size of her face approach. Remembering the last time it happened, scars were left on her face and she winced. Flinching ever so slightly but was greeted with something kinder and not at all painful.

[Image: stitch-cute-head-pat-pwi40xdm3ubg985n.gif]

He called her something that she could not understand, but assumed was something affectionate. Like a pet name between individuals becoming friends. In return for his soft gesture, she'd lick the underside of his paws. “I realize this... thank you.” To which she would return in kind by soothing the worries of Ira and the rest of the packs who have a lingering foul taste for his kind on their tongue.

“May I ask a favour in regards to that?”

the staff team luvs u
08-28-2022, 10:28 PM
He was happy that she had accepted his proposal, a small smile on his face. However, that smile faltered slightly as he saw her flinch, but he continued reaching out, wanting to show her that he wasn't going to hurt her. What he wasn't expecting though, was for her to lick his paw, causing him to freeze entirely. He was holding his breath, scared to even flinch as if he was scared she would run away or get hurt if he did so. There weren't many wolves that he cared about, hell there wasn't really anyone that he cared about in general. But, the thought of ever hurting her, that was something he couldn't even stomach.

When she asked about a favor, he would nod, twisting his body slightly to wiggle slightly closer to her, aiming to have his head laying right next to her, staring up at him from his upside down position on the ground, his eyes staring deep into her own. He would pull his paw back away from her, but would curl both of his front paws against his chest, looking more like a kitten rather than a full grown male tiger. "Of course, красивая, anything." And he meant, that, waiting patiently to see what she would as him. Not that it really mattered to him. He would do whatever she asked of him, willing to even commit murder for her.

[Image: Why-Do-Cats-Lay-on-Their-Back-750x420.jpg]

the staff team luvs u

• Common
  • Russian
08-28-2022, 10:39 PM
Was this how Izumi and Tiberius had felt toward Kuhn, their bond so strong that both would leave a pack, a friend, or family behind for one who had caused so much torment to their supposed loved ones? There was a certain kindship she felt growing between herself and Rajani, though she would hope to keep him at arm's length a little longer. It was too soon, the wounds too fresh to ignore and welcome a new tiger into their lives just yet.

But slowly... as though welcoming a new fish into its tank, one day they could move on. She could see it as he rolled over. Looking more like @Kin than an adult with his large round eyes. Reaching out to press her head against his, an action Kin and Rainier had often done. Something she assumed was feline signs of affection and bonding. “My son, Haruki has vanished again. If you see him, will you return him to me?” There was evident pain in her melodic voice. “He is a beautiful boy with stormy blue eyes and fur as pale as snow. We bare a strong family resemblance he and I, and his sister Hotaru.” Despite how Hotaru may feel that her mother was burying the past and moving on, a mother never could nor would.

She would continue to search for her missing son until she could no longer breathe air.

“As for Hotaru... if you see her wandering, will you ensure her safety? She is brash and I worry for her.” She pleaded with her request. This was not an order or a mission, but a plea from a mother trying to keep her children safe from a world who had been nothing but cruel to them. Cruel to their "cursed" family as Hotaru had put it.

the staff team luvs u
08-28-2022, 11:21 PM
She had accepted him moving closer, and there he would stay. He didn't want to push his boundaries and, in all honesty, he was worried about letting her in. Physically was one thing, he didn't mind being near her, but emotionally was different. When it boiled down to everything, she knew nothing about him. He figured it was partially his own fault though, as he hadn't really invited her into his mind. Not that he really wanted her there. It wasn't because he didn't trust her, or he didn't like her (that certainly wasn't the reason), it was more so because his mind wasn't really an inviting place. 

His thoughts stopped entirely as she pressed her head against his, his mouth falling agape slightly in shock. His face grew hot as he blushed slightly, his tail flipping around as his heartrate picked up. As she spoke though, he would listen intently, eyes never leaving hers. Only after she finished speaking would be reply, his voice soft and caring. "I will search for him and I promise to protect her if I see her out." He would do so with his life if needed, but of course he wouldn't tell her that.

the staff team luvs u

• Common
  • Russian
08-28-2022, 11:41 PM
Figuring his own reactions were a part of similar distrust toward her, the woman didn't linger against his head for long. Pulling back as he answered the words she oh so desperately wanted to hear. Someone would be out there as an ally, watching over her children where she couldn't be. It made her smile warmly. “In the meantime... I will work within the pack. Easing the members to the idea of trusting a tiger anew.” If he was out there as a private sentry, it didn't feel right to not work on making the other members friendly to him as well.

“I will be within your debt.” One that she would repay over and over if necessary. “Be it food, shelter, mending or whatever you deem necessary.” After all, this was of his own volition. He was not hers to order around, nor would she ask anything of her members without payment either.

Then he wouldn't have to skulk around the pack in hopes of being found by the right individual and neither of them worrying about Rajani being attacked out of fear that the pack was under attack once more. “I am... grateful for your patience and kindness.” For that, she'd press her head against the ground. Bowing deeply as her custom out of the utmost respect, trusting that he wouldn't take this as an opportunity to strike with his previous promise to not harm her.

the staff team luvs u
08-29-2022, 12:08 AM
As she pulled away from him, he would let out a soft whine, almost sounding like a kitten that didn't get his way. Large, wide eyes watched her, searching her face as she spoke. This was the first time someone had really done something for him. "Thank you. No one had helped me before." He wasn't saying that to get attention of for her to feel for him, it was simply the truth and that was all that he spoke. 

But then, she continued to go further with it, making him twist himself until he was laying on his stomach, watching her with wide eyes. "That too much." He said simply, shaking his head before letting out a soft gasp as she bowed at him, making him feel a bit uncomfortable. Instead of attacking her, or saying something about it, he would aim to place his head against her shoulder, gently trying to push her upwards, speaking gently. "No need to ever bow to me красивая. You are fierce queen of Shiroshika. You should never bow to anyone." 

He would sit himself back down onto his haunches, looking down at her with nothing but kindness and care. "You can ask me anything, I always happy to help you."

the staff team luvs u

• Common
  • Russian
08-29-2022, 12:39 AM
No one has ever helped him before? Somehow that struck the woman as shocking and sad. For one to feel so alone in a world so harsh. She would be happy to be his first kind soul and extend a friendly paw of assistance. One that would gladly reciprocate his own.

He wouldn't be the first to beg her to not bow to him. @Gyrfalcon had done the same when Reiko begged for her forgiveness after Vera had torn her leg off. “It is our custom to show gratitude and respect to those deserving.” Perhaps she should explain. “Regardless of my rank, it is simply a title, a job - it does not make me worth more than another.” And shouldn't mean anything one who wasn't a wolf, but she was grateful he recognized their customs and importance of ranks.

Some day she too will die and like the rest of loners to sovereigns, will rot and become a feast for the worms and grasses. Just because she was empress, it didn't mean she would be treated any different in the bitter end of it all.

“Then... perhaps, is it too forward to call us friends?” Isn't that what friends did? They assisted one another just as Rajani and Reiko were doing right now. Binding themselves to one another through duty and trust.

the staff team luvs u
08-29-2022, 02:16 AM
The man would smile warmly and roll his eyes playfully, absolutely no malice in this action. His voice was a full chuckle as he spoke, his eyes bright. "Very well, I not understand your weird customs, but I accept them." He cocked his head to the side slightly, watching her for a moment. "I would like one day know more about these customs." 

He would freeze for a moment as she talked about being friends, his heart fluttering slightly though he offered her a warm smile once more. "You sure you want friends with big bad tiger man?" He was joking lightly as he said that, but would quickly nod. "I like idea of being friends." He would glance over at the borders for a moment, sniffing the air to make sure no one else was coming by. He would move to stretch out, his muscles flexing as he did a cat like stretch. 

"You go back before pack finds me here. Though I not mind retaliation, I not wish you be stuck in middle." There was no malice in his words, only wanting to make sure she didn't get hurt. He figured that if a pack member found them this close, they would likely attack him on sight. That wasn't his concern though, he didn't want her stuck in between. "Regardless of what pack do, I never raise claw to pack." That was his vow, stating that he would rather have them kill him than for him to harm her family. "Keep lookout for prey delivery, I bring some when passing." He knew that she recently had children and wished to help where he could, even if it had to be from the shadows.

the staff team luvs u

• Common
  • Russian
08-29-2022, 06:47 PM
“I will happily teach you what my mother has taught me.” It was something she was passing onto her own children as well, whether they took it or not was their own decision but should Rajani be watching over them - it only felt right to oblige to his request of learning. This way, they would seem less strange to him too. “In exchange you can teach me about tigers.” Something that Tiberius had accused her of being ignorant of when there was no willing teacher to show. None that she trusted until now.

Pulling her chin to her chest, the woman felt warm at his playful accusation. “I think it would do us all good to not see all tigers through the lens that Kuhn had given us.” She'd smile in return. Knowing he meant nothing by it but a gentle tease, but still... it felt right to reassure Rajani that she was more than willing to put the past behind them. Caution was in the wind, but a welcome change was coming.

Nodding, she agreed. Little had been done thus far to quell the fears of the others, she would begin that now. “Safe travels Rajani.” It went without saying that he didn't need to drop off prey for them, but it was welcome too. He travelled further than most of the wolves here for prey, and the smell of tiger on the prey could ease the members into believing there were some good in his species. “I will send Kazane to greet you soon.” With a slow nod in appreciation and a sway in her tail, the woman trotted off quickly. Hopefully to cut off any guardians that may be wandering near, alarmed at the smell of a tiger in the wind. She would give Rajani time to depart, and in the meantime, ease the others into trusting another feline.

End?

the staff team luvs u
08-31-2022, 12:47 AM
The man chuckled softly and nodded, slowly moving to stand. As she spoke of learning more about tigers, he felt his heart warm slightly. He had honestly expected this exchange to be extremely one sided, but she had quickly showed him that sometimes, it was nice to have friends. He would only nod, watching her for a moment before chuckling. "Be safe." He said simply before turning to leave. 

With that, he would walk away, moving quickly as he was now able to use his full power and energy to rush off, not wanting anyone from her pack to find him here. The last thing he needed was for him to be put in that situation and be forced to call on her for help. It was best for everyone if, at least for now, no one else knew of him.

the staff team luvs u

• Common
  • Russian
scroll to top