Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I was lost in the cities

AW
03-17-2021, 04:25 PM
Lil mountain detour before she finds the desert. @Hydra but no obligation!

The friendly grey fellow had mentioned a desert, and while it seemed like she was hopelessly far from any such place judging by the jagged, snowy peaks in the distance, it was a good enough thing to aim for. Dense temperate forests had gradually changed composition over the many miles and hours, and had eventually thinned as she neared the foothills of a great mountain chain. The dawn air was cold and rich with the scent of pine, and it would be a pleasant place to linger for a while and rest her travel-weary paws. The upper reaches were cloaked with the heady scent of a pack claim, and Aplomado gave them a wide berth as she followed a well-worn woodland path.

A trailside mountain-ash bush sagged with sprays of orange berries, and she trotted up to lean heavily upon its trunk with her forelegs, managing to snap up a couple of mouthfuls of fruit. A few freeze and thaw cycles had fermented them slightly, but they were still pleasant enough to be edible. Aplomado was hesitant to hunt so close to a pack's borders, even with the generous buffer she had given, and was content to forage passively. Her crow companion had wandered off somewhere to chat with the local ravens, and for the time being, at least, the woods were quiet. 

She paused at a stream to wash down the lingering tartness of the berries, and after a second's consideration, dunked her entire head. Frost instantly teased at her dripping locks as she re-emerged, and she scattered beads of water with a vigorous shake.
the staff team luvs u
03-17-2021, 05:32 PM
The matriarch ranged away from the mountain, the intent to find more of her own. With Pippin's return, Hydra felt the rest would surely come—or else be found—sooner or later. For those she cared for, she would take the time to search when she had a moment to spare. The matriarch kept to the river, knowing that water was a source several kept to when wandering. In time, it branched to a stream, and Hydra followed this for a time before hearing something beyond the babbling of the waterway. 

The sound did not last for very long, though it had given the matriarch pause nonetheless; before much more time had passed, a rangy, slight wolf emerged from the treeline a good distance away to pause for a drink. The other looked not at all disoriented, but was very much so a new face to Hydra... a face that disappeared, as she contemplated, beneath the water. What for? She wondered, and then, is she sound? The weather was far from warm, and as Hydra turned to take a drink herself—one ear trained upon the stranger—she knew that the water was frigid. What benefit was there in doing such a thing...? Perhaps it was better not to interact with this one... Or maybe she had been wrong, perhaps the other was disoriented from their waking. As she slaked her thirst, she contemplated between madness and simply disorient. Terribly, she was familiar with both. 

the staff team luvs u
03-17-2021, 06:17 PM
The sudden rush of frigid water had indeed been a shock to her senses, and in reality there hadn't really been much purpose to it other than the novelty. Unlimited clear, fresh water had always been a luxury rarely seen outside the monsoon season, and often by the time it reached the gently rolling chaparral of her home ranges, it wasn't particularly cold. Snow, too, was an infrequent sight reserved for winter trips up to the high desert, but here in the lower reaches of the alpine, she was spoiled for it.

Aplomado had the eerie sense that she was being watched, but in the presence of tall trees looming from what seemed like every direction, she always felt slightly surveilled. She couldn't shrug off the sensation even after a couple of moments, however, and gave her damp head a last shake before panning it along the shore of the stream. Her mahogany eyes settled on an inky stranger sipping from the same stream, and as the larger wolf's scent gently suffused towards her, it was immediately recognizable as similar to what she had detected wafting from beyond the safe periphery of no-man's-land. If those forbidden reaches were not this wolf's, she was at least intimately involved in their protection.

“Good morning,” she said mildly, swiping a foreleg across her muzzle and clearing the last moistness from her whiskers. “It is a lovely mountain you have up there, at least I think it is yours?” Even if she was not particularly comfortable upon such slopes, Aplomado could certainly appreciate the rugged beauty.
the staff team luvs u
Empyrean
Formation
03-19-2021, 03:59 PM
Hydra's ear flicked, the only acknowledgment she had heard the woman to start as she continued to drink. Rising once satisfied, she licked her chops to remove the excess water from her chin and looked to the smaller statured figure before her. Their appearance was quite unique to Hydra, who had not yet seen any wolves of such a particular hue... in this dim light, there was almost a blue color to her, all the more pronounced next to the water alongside her made such a color by stones and shadow alike. 

The stranger looked more like a runner than she did a fighter, though Hydra knew better than to assume or underestimate. The strangers lean build and long legs would surely grant her speed, if nothing else. She hardly looked built for the mountains, but with good training that could change quickly enough. “The whole of it is lovely,” she corrected with a slow sway of her tail, her tone matter-of-fact and not at all bothered; how could the stranger know, having not seen it after all, “and, yes, it is mine, as well as my families,” she confirmed, pleased to inform of their claim... though her tone hardly indicated such. So, the borders were prevalent enough that the smart knew to keep their distance, at least. “Have you been traveling long?” the matriarch wondered, interested in the others experience within this... place. Not simply the mountain, but anywhere else they may have seen; it was rare, that Hydra found any with more than but hours here.

the staff team luvs u
03-19-2021, 04:18 PM
The raven female's claim was apparently far more expansive than Aplomado had first suspected, and her ears cupped forward with interest. Perhaps everyone here hadn't just winked into existence after all, and there was a certain semblance of normalcy to be found. Or could they have all appeared at once as a fully-formed pack? It was a wildly absurd thought at first consideration, but hardly all that stranger than what she had already experienced firsthand.

“Maybe a week or so,” she replied without much confidence, as if deciding even as she spoke the words. The recent passage of time was still a bit fuzzy to her, and the vibrant memories of her life before waking up in the forest seemed to be melting into her present with each day. Wherever this place was, it was quickly becoming her reality. “I used to live in a desert and randomly woke up very far from home one morning. This is the first place I've seen that has more than just one or two lost wolves wandering around, though, so it's good to know I'm not going completely crazy — or at least, I'm not the only one who has.”
the staff team luvs u
03-19-2021, 05:18 PM
A week was far more than a day, and so Hydra hoped the information gained in that time was enough that somewhere in there would be something new for her to learn. Strange, though, how waking up in a strange place was becoming normal for her to hear when it ought to be abnormal. The matriarch had learned by now, though, that this was the way of things. At least the slight stranger had woken up more peacefully than those she had encountered who had been spat out by the sea. 

“You have encountered others?” Hydra asked next, quite curious as to how many... and who these might be. “I search for wayward members of my family, and so I wonder if you might have come across one of them,” she explained, imagining the other might not appreciate the interrogative feel of her consistent questioning. Hydra did not much care, admittedly... but the desire for answers so that she might find her family made her somewhat less caustic toward others and their thought process. While not unfriendly, Hydra could hardly be considered warm. Thinking for a moment, Hydra informed: “you are not the only one to experience what you have. Strange though it is, it seems there is no true answer as to why that I have discovered.”

the staff team luvs u
03-19-2021, 05:55 PM
Aplomado was rather difficult to offend, and while the dark stranger was blunt and posed her questions without hesitation, in some ways the directness was refreshing. It was only natural for a leader to seek information about neighbouring lands and who might rule them, especially in such strange times.

“Maybe,” she mused, tilting her head to the side as she attempted to put faces to names. Her ability to remember the names and uses of dozens of obscure plants apparently didn't extend all that well to other wolves. “One was a very plain grey and mild-mannered gentleman — recently arrived I think. The other one was tall and chocolate brown and very princess-like, and she had claimed a forest with a huge herd of elk. Almost like she worshipped them or something? Nobody seemed to be hunting them, anyway.” Aplomado shrugged. Certainly odd, but she wasn't really one to judge so long as they weren't bothering anyone else. “I'm not sure how helpful that is. What do your missing family members look like or answer to?”

The other's assurance that Aplomado's circumstances were far from unique was comforting, even if it provided no answer or relief. At first she had thought she had simply died and been reincarnated, but she wouldn't have expected to retain any memories or the same body if that was the case, and it would had to have been some sort of mass die-off to bring about so many wolves from far and wide.
the staff team luvs u
03-19-2021, 06:22 PM
Hydra listened, and was disappointed in the answer provided (though her features did not reveal as much). Neither of those beings were her family, nor were they familiar. The idea of wolves worshipping elk was strange to her; Hydra could respect the creature by way of nature, but worship? For what? Elk were prey—powerful animals, but still prey—and they their predator. To not eat them was simply wasteful, and Hydra appeared thoughtful. “Is that forest nearby?” she wondered aloud, optimistic that said herd might migrate someplace else. Someplace where their meat and hide would be appreciated in full. 

“Quite helpful,” she drawled, nodding in thanks. More wolves were appearing, she had learned... which was no real surprise. “Though neither of those are who I seek,” she admits. “One will look exactly like me,” she answered, thinking of her sister, “there is no difference between us. There are many that I seek, and if your nose is keen, it might be more efficient to learn my scent.” All flesh and blood for the most part, Hydra had learned that one thing that had not changed—even when the mind had lost things—was that. 

Shifting her weight, Hydra asked next, “where is it that you head to now?” It seemed the stranger was no halfwit, though still Hydra wondered the purpose behind dunking her head beneath the frigid waters.

the staff team luvs u
03-19-2021, 06:54 PM
The stern stranger seemed deep in thought for a moment upon hearing the news of the strange elk wolves. Aplomado supposed that a large, untouched herd of prey would be quite attractive to a growing pack, and wondered idly if invasion was on the other's mind. She certainly had no personal allegiance with the brown woman, anyway, and this mountain wolf could do with the information as she saw fit. “Hmm, I would say not so close, but not more than a day or two of travel, covering ground quickly,” she estimated, but it was difficult to judge distance in a land of such dramatic contours. “Far enough south that the vegetation is different enough, anyway. More big deciduous trees and very different plants.” Aplomado stopped there for the time being, sure that her guest probably wouldn't care all that much about a random temperate forest fern, as much as it interested the budding botanist.

While neither of the two wolves Aplomado had met were any of the lost family members the strange spoke of, it appeared that her information had been useful — or at least appreciated — nonetheless. The dark matriarch seemed to have quite the extended family, and had a good point regarding scent, which Aplomado acknowledged with an understanding nod. She would keep an eye and nose out, and should she encounter a wolf of similar appearance and disposition, would at least point them in the correct direction if she was not headed there herself.

“The grey fellow spoke of a desert that I think I'll try to aim for,” she replied. “I do like the scenery in these parts, but I admit I'm a bit homesick and clumsy on this sort of terrain.”
the staff team luvs u
Formation
03-19-2021, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2021, 07:55 PM by Hydra. Edited 1 time in total.)
Hmm. Too far to be worth investigating, Hydra decided. Her own mountain was rich in prey, in any event—but she was a selfish woman who never minded more when the opportunity presented itself. But it was also the knowledge that there was another pack two days out that was helpful to know, and Hydra stored the knowledge away. The varying vegetation was nothing that interested her, but perhaps her sister might appreciate knowing as much. This lean, unique looking woman and her could have similar pursuits, then. No one else would care enough to note such trivial things like tree variety without some sort of knowledge of the stuff. In her three years, Hydra knew this for certain from experiences with others alone.

The other shared they would be heading to a place of which Hydra had never heard of before. A desert? Something else new, then. But familiar to the other, at least. “Sure-footedness can be learned,” she drawled, eyes bright. “If you are interested in that, should your visit to the desert leave you wanting, you may call for me,” she offered with a slow sway of her plume. That herbal knowledge could ever come in handy, she was more than aware... and Elke, Elke would appreciate learning from someone who knew, if Hydra was correct in her assumption. To confirm as much, Hydra drawled, “my family would have room for one other, at the very least, with herbal knowledge,” she tested, wondering if the stranger before her would confirm or deny what was only a strong suspicion at this point.

the staff team luvs u
03-19-2021, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2021, 08:36 PM by Aplomado. Edited 1 time in total.)
It was a very tempting offer, indeed. Pack life came with the protection and solidarity of numbers, not to mention the bonds of friendship and family that developed therein. She could now recall little of her domestic life in the 'before time,' but instinctually the concept was attractive. Having only been on her own for a week, however, it felt somewhat premature, and now that winter was releasing its grip on the earth, she was in no dire need of a permanent home just yet. For the time being she was content to see how the cards fell.

“That's a kind offer that I might take you up on in the future,” she replied with a smile. A gentle rejection, but open-ended, as had been the stranger's invitation. The raven leader had evidently picked up on her interest in plant life, and Aplomado confirmed with a nod. “Yes, that's a passion of mine. And if you or your family do find yourselves in need, either directly or just to exchange knowledge, I'd be happy to help.” She had only been an apprentice herself, but perhaps they did not yet have any members with medical training, and even if they did, it was always beneficial to share and compare knowledge between those pursuing a similar goal. What worked well in the desert might not work in the mountains, and vice versa, not the mention the staggering differences in ecology. It was the least she could do to show some gratitude for the offer she was not in a position to take.

At that moment, Aplomado realized that while it would be easy enough to summon her as the guardian of such lands, it wasn't a particularly formal way to address the mountain's matriarch, or an efficient way to reference her in passing. “But on that note, when I do drop by, who would I be calling?”
the staff team luvs u
03-21-2021, 02:12 AM
A nod; Hydra was not deterred by this, not having imagined that the other would be so swift in the accepting of her offer, what with her plans to travel into the unknown. And who knew what she might find? Selfishly, Hydra hoped nothing. The offer stood, and was there. She thought of Elke, who would benefit from her training even still... offer made from the other, Hydra would not decline the benefit of it. “I have my niece in mind,” she drawled, “she has a love for botany. I am more inclined to break things rather than mend, and so I cannot aid her there,” she quipped, though the words were no lie. Hydra was no healer, that was for certain. 

“I am Hydra Ostrega,” she introduced, continuing with “I thank you for your willingness to help, ...” here, she left room for the other to introduce themselves as well, her lengthy pause indicating her expectancy of such while her plume swayed. She was grateful for the offer, knowing her niece, too, would be appreciative of it.

the staff team luvs u
03-22-2021, 09:36 PM
Hydra's confession spurred a nervous laugh from Aplomado, who did not really have to use her imagination to picture the dark raven dismembering whatever hapless beast erred and trespassed in her domain. While the matriarch was pleasant and had been nothing less than accommodating, she did not seem the type to tolerate foolishness. Aplomado was not a violent creature, but she could admire the conviction in protecting one's claimed ground.

“My name is Aplomado Añejo,” she supplied in turn. “And it's my pleasure, Hydra. I look forward to meeting your niece one day.” She then trailed off and left it open to further questioning, for while she was ready to be on her way, she was a guest on these slopes and would not leave unless she was sure Hydra had nothing else to ask her. Aplomado imagined that the woman kept quite the busy schedule patrolling her borders, judging by the extent and potency of the scent markers.
the staff team luvs u
03-23-2021, 02:52 PM
Name provided, Hydra added it to her inventory; one ear backturned as the other spoke, trailing off and lingering politely. “Until we meet again,” Hydra drawled with a nod, permitting the others departure. On that note, Hydra moved to quit the scene herself, though did not yet head homeward. She had come here to search, and while she had discovered one wolf, Aplomado—pleasant a surprise though she was—had not been who she sought. Hydra hoped to encounter a familiar face, and would search for a little while longer before heading back. The matriarch minded her surroundings in the process, looking instinctively overhead every time she heard the beat of wings. None of them matched to the sound she also unwittingly sought (her recollection of @The Eagle threadbare before their own reunion); with a shake of her furs, Hydra moved along.

smoll last post from meee <3 THANK U FOR THE THREAD

the staff team luvs u
03-24-2021, 12:12 AM
any time my dear <3333

Aplomado acknowledged the guardian's parting words with a polite bow of her head and a swish of her tail. The raven leader departed to resume her border patrol, and Aplo followed suit in the opposite direction, hoping that she could at least make it beyond the foothills by nightfall. If the landscape was anything like what she knew back home, it would take some distance for the rain shadow of the mountains to give way to desert. That being said, she was not an impatient creature, and she had already learned much on her travels.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top