Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
A different place and time

AW
Discovery
03-15-2021, 10:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2021, 09:59 PM by Aso. Edited 3 times in total.)
From a distant time, Echoing voices.

Let the sun sun shine upon you 

"Give me back my legion!"

-----------------------------------------------

From a distant time, Remus awoke, the echo's of battle still ringing.   

In a different place,  the smell of the peaceful forest was apparent.

Remus looked around, confused, viewing a large mountain range that hung above the low sitting forest.  

The sound of a peaceful river cutting below the base of the mountain was in utter contrast to what he just remembered, the sound of an elk crying out echoed throughout the low sitting forest alerting the wolf's ears.

The wolf stood up and shook out his coat, tilting his nose to the sky, hoping to get his bearings. He knew that following the river down stream would be his best bet.  So, he did just that wandering, not knowing exactly where he was or what he was or where he came from.

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
03-16-2021, 03:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2021, 10:00 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
 The reverberation of an Elk bawl pierced through the towering soldiers of redwood and pine. A cinnamon and russet ear flicked from the [size=medium]Déorwine's crown[/size], instantly catching the bellow from some distance away. Thistle often gravitated toward any inclination of herd found within the sanctuary of this forest, considering there was an impressive sort of sovereign Elk who possessed a splendid display of antlers that rivaled the High Elk himself. The bellow beckoned her to seek the individual of the call and instantly her paws carried her in a lope toward the source.
 The [size=medium]Déorwine traveled alongside the river in a parallel fashion, following its twist and turn through the lush foliage. Thistle's lope came to a gradual trot and suddenly a halt when ahead a stocky male figure came across her path. His pelage was dressed in blonde and gray, looking significantly older than most encountered. Nothing of the [size=medium]Déorwine scent was worn on his pelt or recalling him as anyone she recognized from their clan. "Good day." Thistle called out in a simple acknowledgment toward him. Her stance was rather neutral along with her demeanor. [/size][/size]

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
03-16-2021, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 11:46 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Remus sauntered along the edge of the river, taking in the peaceful sounds, in contrast to his memory. Listening to the power of the stream, and appreciating the scent of this mysterious forest, He lost himself; at peace.  In this state wolf had no idea he was approached head on.

Looking up slowly, clearing the fog, Remus made contact with a Cinnamon colored wolf.  At first he was surprised, which only washed over him momentarily as his expression retuned to a more somber and demure one as he looked this well built female from head to toe. 

Taking a slow moment to reply,  "Hail." , Remus pronounced, without an echo of hesitation in his voice.  The veteran wolf, had a strange feeling about this, reminding him of encounters in the past.  Remus knew he had to stand proud in this situation, though it was not in his nature to portray weakness.

"What brings you here?",   Remus added implying he knew where he was, though he did not.

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
03-17-2021, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 11:47 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Célnes never seemed to be the first to find intruders. It was now either her cousin, or the man lurking within the woods, "Cousin, do we have a guest?" She always lurked in the shadows, and approached outward with a pleasant smile to the other. Though firstly had to blink, for there was something nostalgic that the new wolf had brought to the ex female-King, but she couldn't put a thought on it.. Almost like a lost memory.

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
03-17-2021, 04:25 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 11:47 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
[size=medium] The matured male seemed ambivalent about Thistle's sudden chance encounter upon him. Giving a sway of her cinnamon plumed tail, her dark yellow gaze did a quick glance of the areas directly behind him. Her nose would have given away another presence before catching sight of any others aside from him, but it appeared he was alone.[/size]
[size=medium] Issuing a greeting along with an inquiry of what she [size=medium]was doing in the area (to which he would have been fortunately or unfortunately subject to her sermon of how the [size=medium]Déorwine were the chosen wolves by the High Elk to establish themselves in this region), [size=medium]Célnes took any follow-up words right out of her maw to him. [size=medium]Thistle's tail gave a more prominent wag at the arrival of her cousin and dipped her muzzle in greeting toward [size=medium]Célnes[/size]. "Seems so, although sounds like he may be familiar with these parts?" Her cinnamon head tilted to the side, noting how the male spoke in confidence about this area in general and giving a curious side-eye to him.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
03-17-2021, 05:10 AM
There was something professional to the way Remus reacted to the presence of two unfamiliar wolves.  Remus stood focused and attentive, yet not aggressive.  

The veteran stood his ground upon the mossy forest floor, simply listening, analyzing.  From what he could gather, these two knew each other which could be trouble if they decided to turn against him, though he figured unlikely.   One seemed to be subservient to the other in a sort of way, there was a hierarchy here, and he had stumbled into it. 

Rising and falling, his chest portrayed a calm breath, his tail in a neutral position and his fur, not puffed but, relaxed.  

a strong "mhm..",  is all the professional gave in return, waiting on more information to say or do more.
the staff team luvs u
03-22-2021, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 11:47 PM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
"A visitor, or a native?" She raised a brow to him so as her cousin stated he may be familiar. She hadn't met too many wolves that were born in the area, rather it seemed areas were voided of wolves. She hasn't ventured outside too much to tell if there truly are others, but it seemed like many 'stumbled' in from the aether itself. It was strange, but she took it was both a blessing and a curse. The unholy seem mostly drawn to the elken woods.

"I am Célnes Déorwine, and this is Elkshire. Welcome to the forest." However, borders were so thin and the claim was barely set, for now an alliance had been set, and that was the most of what she could do. Without numbers to the mass, the group she wanted was flat.

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
04-09-2021, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 11:47 PM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
"Elkshire?", the hardened lupine replied, pondering the name.  

"Are you the tribe that lays claim to this land?"

Remus did not budge much nor portray any emotion either positive or negative. Simply holding his ground professionally and diplomatically as the wind serenely brushed at the trees above. 

"I cannot answer as to your question: visitor or native. I am unsure. Though, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, I am Remus" 

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
04-11-2021, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 11:47 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
"An interesting way to call our group, but I suppose yes." Though she thought he was interesting fellow, personality somewhat reminding her of another, just a bit more talkative she supposed. He looked like a sturdy wolf, someone who referred as a group as a tribe, she can assume his origins were less then noble-like. Savages is what it brought to mind, for the eloquent-less word to be brought, yet the word was still too vague to truly understand where he came from. She shouldn't judge just yet.

It did seem though he was also an otherworldly wolf, someone who simply came in, and woke like it was nothing.

"I am the Queen, and this is my dear cousin, Thistle." As the cousin seemed to be scrutinizing in silence, Célnes introduced her. She was one of the wolves that kept to this forest claim and stayed within as family, though she couldn't say all had. It was a shame so many wolves seem to come to the forest, yet none truly prefer to stay.. Though the Deorwine was willing to part to the white-kin that entered.

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Pre-formation
04-13-2021, 06:29 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2021, 10:00 PM by Aso. Edited 3 times in total. Edit Reason: Broken code )
Giving a moment of silence to take a thought, the professional took in his surroundings, noting the smell of the redwoods that encircled them, the gentle babbling of the river, and the subtle rustle of the wind as it passed through the trees; ancient giants of long ago.

In the distance the cry of elk could be heard, echoing through the wooden pillars of an ancient past.

A queen that is only accompanied by one... Surely this was a small tribe in hopes of becoming an empire... "How many in number are you, your Highness?" The stone like wolf asked, with a diplomatic bow.

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
04-16-2021, 09:16 PM
She was rather surprised when the wolf gave bow - there wasn't too many who would willingly do so to a Queen that was not their own. She was definitely pleased, and it warmed the thought of him, and definitely gained a favor, "there are a few." though Célnes did not give an exact number. She thought it would be foolish, even if he had gained her favor, in the end she doesn't know the true reason why he asked.

"Why so curious about us, Remus?"

the staff team luvs u
04-17-2021, 12:04 AM
For the first time Remus seemed to give a direct gaze to Celenes, now that he was being referred to in a personal manner.
"Truth is that I am without legion, nor purpose, here I awoke."

The hardened lupine, adjusted his posture slightly showing a bit off apprehension as he admitted his situation, showing the feintest crack in his demeanor. 

"One is no match for few, and few is no match for legion."
the staff team luvs u
04-17-2021, 04:23 AM
Words of play that she knew oh so well, "are you offering to join us?" though little would do here with her own choices, now being more blunt and raising a brow to her devilish smile. The thought of such a gladiator coming would do nicely, and a firm replacement for Vengeance. They didn't have many warriors, nor' many to their name, but she lusted after strength at the most for the moment. The Queen could do away with it all, as long as there was strength to protect King Elk Forest.

the staff team luvs u
04-17-2021, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 11:48 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Creatures of social power would always have use for him, the strong of tongue always had use of the strong of body; an arrangement that runs both ways in this world.  "I could be convinced, but I have yet to see your kingdom, for now consider my service temporary", he replied pacing to and fro.  "Ill gladly be your guest, and you will fall under my protection for the time being." 

Remus held no fanciful beliefs about the arrangement, simply a mutual deal of practicality, at least for now; until he had something to believe in again.

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-19-2021, 02:05 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2021, 10:00 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Her voice hummed ever so slightly, as the same deal was much like the one she held with @Vengeance. It would do nicely, "Very well." She accepted, as both parties would in the end fair well. He would be granted a home within the flushed forest, for a remaining time until he decided so. While she, would gain a guardian for the time being. Perhaps no boogeyman would remain in the forest for long, but instead replaced with but a spartan.

"There is one rule however - we do not allow hunting of antlered elk." The forest oh so lively with the herd that remained deep within, and ventured at times in small groups beyond; the wolves of the Deorwine family hold them dear. With such rules in place she expected everyone to follow, and those who would not and sin by hunting would result in exile. It was a shame if the time ever came, and while she can deal with wolves outside doing so... Célnes would not allow it within the forest. As the hawks cry above, and the small sounds of the bugs whisping by, she smiled so lightly, as a deal was to made at the crossroad.

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-22-2021, 06:35 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2021, 10:01 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Remus took a long moment to think over the solitary rule, leaving no mental stone unturned. The rugged wolf took a moment to hear the cries of the elk echoing through the valley, the rustle of the wind on the trees.  Finally he eyed over the lowlands noting the mountainous range before them.

"Just that one rule? I think I can abide..." 

Remus thought to himself how interesting that it was that he would fall into the employment of one, who would only impose one rule. Aside from that he would always keep his end of the contract.

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
04-22-2021, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 11:48 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
There was surely more to share, but it didn't feel needed for a temporary deal. If the man decided to continue staying, she would share more, specifically about the Déorwine culture and their.. Dislike, over particular colors. Though well known for the hatred of all coats, she was satisfied just for those of a pure-white ton, to remain away. Perhaps a lenience on if one carries a bit, but those who seemed more snow-like then wolf, she wouldn't keep them.

There was too, her admiration for grayer pelts, the one's who always seem to be like protectors to the Queen. She smiled at him, "Welcome to the forest."

last post from me!

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
04-29-2021, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 11:48 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
"We have an agreement then, I will stay nearby.  Call upon me and I will come"  Remus only stood there, staring out across the land, listening to the trees again. Wherever he was, it was another world, like the one he could not recall, no doubt there would be challenges ahead.

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top