Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
But no one's ever left me quite this sore

Afternoon
P
Vanderfell Woods
Shiroshika
04-15-2022, 10:00 PM
As the day crawled on after speaking with Ira, the Empress' nerves did not settle knowing that more was coming on the horizon. Hopefully, it would be the last... that understanding would come between all parties involved. If not, she was uncertain of how to advance from here.

The warmth of spring could be felt clearly upon her back as she travelled to the meeting spot they had agreed to for this conversation. The stone under her paws was warmer than the snow of Tsukiishi and already she found herself homesick of the peaks they had called home for so long.

As soon as she arrived to the destination Reiko would sit and wait. Listening to the birds as they awoke from winter and sang their songs of courtship to one another, though it helped a little to soothe her worries - there was no stopping the drumming within her chest as she anticipated the conversation to come.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
04-15-2022, 10:35 PM
Following that last verbal spar with Reiko, Quicksilver felt the beginnings of a headache. It worsened as the hours ticked by, with the long night of restless insomnia where he reminded himself of each spearing remark.

He didn't know when at last he fell asleep, but he felt as though he had the world's worst hangover when he rose to greet a midday sun. The throbbing pain behind his eyes intensified when he stepped out into the fierce rays of a Springtime sun, and he retreated once more into the comforting darkness of his hollow to await the gathering of Queens where he would face his fate.

Only the Shiroshika dove lingered at the meeting place, and Quicksilver regarded her wordlessly and briefly. His tired eyes were empty, made hollow by the confusion and grief he carried with him, and he cast them downward as he settled a comfortable distance across from her.

He was aware of the tension that hung in the air surrounding them, and shuffled a paw to awkwardly mark the dirt beneath him with a paw. There were no pleasantries or small talk that Quicksilver wished to exchange with Reiko, not thus time, and anxiety churned in his belly to sit and wait in silence.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Untitled_Artwork.png]
Counsellor
04-15-2022, 11:14 PM
Ira would be the last to arrive, a sigh settling in her chest as she too sat before the two. Had she hands, she likely would have pinched the bridge of her nose for how wild the accusations and beliefs had spiraled into of what exactly it was she bargained for. Quicksilver looked awful and Reiko withdrawn...what the hell had these two discussed thus far. So am I to start or must you bring your concerns to the table first? Her gaze would flick between the two for an answer, though they lingered mostly on the silver medic.

the staff team luvs u
04-16-2022, 03:22 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2022, 03:23 AM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
Quicksilver was the next to approach and prepare for the talk between the three of them. The situation was awkward as silence went on. She too didn't want to break the silence as it never seemed to end well. Turning her gaze away from the druid, less in the need to not see him but more so at the desire of not being seen.

Thankfully soon enough Ira had arrived and broke the silence with a stern opening. “I have already spoken to you both...” In comparison, she sounded so weak to the High Queen. Timid. Tired. Having no other way to start this conversation, she waited for either one of them to begin with their pieces.

If it were up to her she would suggest Quicksilver to speak up about his concerns, but he had already stated he was tired of her controlling him in any way... Even if it was confusing how he refused to speak to Ira himself and asked Reiko to prepare it instead.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-16-2022, 07:04 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2022, 07:49 AM by Quicksilver. Edited 1 time in total.)
With Ira's arrival, Quicksilver felt his nerves fray further. He had great respect for his Queen and felt he'd served her well throughout his time beneath her rule, and worried that she'd be offended by his objection to sending a child to her as had seemingly been discussed without his consent.

He dipped his muzzle to her, and lifted his tired eyes when she addressed the quarrelling pair with a question, though it was on him that her gilded gaze settled.

Inhale, he reminded himself.

“Reiko has informed me that you have both arranged that I marry her in exchange for Vanderfell's involvement in the fight for the Everfrost,” he began, his voice wavering. “And that a child might be expected from that union, to come and live with you here.”

His heart clenched, and his gaze flicked to the ground. “I agreed to be her husband, but object to sending our children away. I-” He looked back to the High Queen, grief clear in the contours of his face, “I mean no disrespect to you, Queen Ira. I know you would not harm a child, that is not my concern, I just... I only wish to keep my family together.”

He sighed, “Reiko could not promise me that compromise.” Or had refused to, as he saw it, considering how she expected him to clean up the mess she'd made. He furrowed his brow as he hung his head and glanced down at his own feet, thinking sorely on what she'd said: how she'd sacrificed everything for him, and he'd given nothing but loneliness in return.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-16-2022, 09:11 AM
The roan queen could not recall if she had sighed already, but she would not hide the audible one that now slipped passed her lips. Similar to what Reiko had suggested, Quicksilver seemed to have filled his head with all the wrong ideas, self-induced or shared from the passing of maws. I suppose I should not be surprised you are unfamiliar with my terms as this will be Vanderfell's first alliance. He had been one of the few to last since formation and while she shared Vanderfell's laws with all, perhaps the grounds of an alliance slipped by unnoticed with no reason to remember such rules. But you have been sorely mistaken.

Glancing to the snow empress, Ira would find Reiko's gaze. I asked for something worth Vanderfell's time to involve ourselves in a conflict that had yet to reach drastic measures along our own borders. I left that offer unbound to see what you might offer, but I have always sought an alliance with you. Any ally I would spare my life fighting for. As her words were drawn out she would tilt her head back to her own finding his sleep sunken gaze. Vanderfell forms ties through marriage. In most cases, this is arranged through our children to strengthen both packs. The children they bear speak to the strength of the alliance and the wedded couple may live in whichever pack they choose. A choice her own children could make once their time came. She too did not wish to see them far from home, but there was comfort knowing she could trust their lives in the paws of another.

I do not seek your children. This is about unification, not separation. In this case, where Reiko had offered a child or to bear one in my favor, I denied. Her daughter is too old for my own presently and I do not wish for bastards to be the foundation of something that should bring pride. She made it clear she fancied you and you had not willed yourself to make your move nor abandon your fascination. Logically, your union was the obvious solution. Not only did it make sense, but it was an action they could take now versus leaving the relationship of the packs in the air on words of promise. Quicksilver had already stated that he would go through with the marriage, but now he had the true story. She could hardly find reason to deny such an opportunity, and if he did then the man proved to be a fool who would only pitty himself.

That being said, it had never been a set deal. It was an invitation you are still free to deny should this upset you so, but I would not find it wise. This little game of feelings had gone on long enough that she no longer thought to hold her tongue. If that upset the medic then so be it, but he should choose to move on with his life or accept the far too fortunate dream offered at his paws. I will not lie, where I am from these deals are oft renewed over the generations. It will never be my goal to outturn a miserable union. There will always be choices and there I shall strive for both sides to find satisfaction with the deal. What good was an alliance founded on misery and sorrow anyhow?

the staff team luvs u
04-16-2022, 03:17 PM
Quicksilver was next to speak and finally he would talk to his High Queen on these matters instead of demanding Reiko to do it for him. Still, she couldn't see the problem with it in the first place. He wanted to be involved in decisions and yet refused to make moves on his own. It was thoughts like these that made the Empress wonder if he was the logical choice for Shiroshika's Emperor, or if it was simply what her heart wanted.

The Druid started with the usual points he had made to her. Something she had no objection to until the end. Where she straightened up and stared daggers at the young man as though he had just been caught in a lie. “I distinctively remember saying it would never happen again before leaving your den upon our first conversation.” She would not let it slide this time. To let accusations fall on deaf ears when she had most definitely promised such a thing before.

Is this what their marriage would be like? Picking words apart and spitting accusations instead of working together for the same goal?

Ira was next to speak to clarify things. As she spoke there were things that were clarified to the Empress as well. A talk that was necessary and should have happened long ago but given their circumstance was understandably shuffled aside until now. Something she felt, again, Quicksilver failed to realize. He was seemed to stuck in his own head he couldn't bear to see the larger picture.

The dove had nothing else to add other than a nod as her gaze shifted from the Druid back onto Ira to meet her own warm hues. There was a sense of doubt and uncertainty brewing within the Empress and her choice of man, but she would remain and wait for him to speak again before drawing any conclusions.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-16-2022, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2022, 05:34 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 1 time in total.)
Ira's sigh came, and he understood her strain because this was pathetic. Quicksilver had misunderstood, but all he had to go on was what the dove had told him. Ira's terms, from her own maw, were vastly different from the information that'd come from Reiko - a great weight, lifted from bowed shoulders.

The tension seeped from his muscles and he released the breath he hadn't realised he'd been holding. Reiko glared his way, quick to jump to her own defense again and announce that she'd told him it wouldn't happen again. That was true, but her wording implied that the original arrangement still stood - and would be honoured. She had never attempted to reassure him that their firstborn would remain in their own care, but had instead informed that they might be prepared to live with Ira. Quicksilver acknowledged her chilled words with only a cant of his ear, unwilling to bite back and bicker with her like children in the company of his leader.

“Thank you for clarifying,” he told Ira simply, smoothly ignoring Reiko's remark. It seemed she'd needed the bargain repeated to her, considering her own misunderstanding that'd led to his objection in the first place; her unwillingness to acknowledge where she'd been wrong would be remembered.

The circumstances were not ideal and he still felt robbed of his opportunity to propose without being rushed into marriage, but he was content to proceed with the agreement now that he knew his offspring would not be torn from him. He blinked, flitting his tired gaze to look briefly at the dove who was to be his bride. While his expression was blank, his frustration with her remained. Quicksilver addressed them both: “I agree to these terms if it is what Reiko still desires.”

He wasn't so sure anymore that she would, nor was he sure they could ever be as they were.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-19-2022, 02:00 AM
Ira merely glanced between the two, her gaze lingering on the Empress as she was quick to defend herself. Whatever had occurred in the span of time since Reiko made Quicksilver aware of their potential deal seemed to have driven a wedge between them that even a stranger could see. Part of her wondered if they would even be happy anymore in such an arrangement, but it seemed the silver medic was still willing. There was a mild wave of relief hearing the man's words only for the fact that this would save everyone time and make their joining much more convenient when their paws were already so full.

Nodding in acknowledgment to the last member of her Hedrad, Ira looked to Reiko. Are these terms still suitable for you? If so, with recent developments it may be wise to hold a wedding some time while we are all still near. There was no telling how far Shiroshika might move once they found a more suitable home and a wedding may uplift the spirits of everyone after facing death. It was also a good season to hold such a ceremony between the weather and prey.

When they might choose to have children was not up to her, nor did she wish for it to be, but there was plenty of time before the hardships of winter came running. Unfortunately, the sooner they married the sooner Vanderfell would lose their only skilled medic...something she had wished to avoid, though Shiroshika was still close enough to train and aid in Quicksilver's absence. The only question would be if he was ready to take up the title of Emperor.

the staff team luvs u
04-19-2022, 03:40 PM
Not expecting or wanting to argue with Quicksilver here in front of Ira, she would have preferred to be acknowledged for his wrong declaration as opposed to the silence and cold shoulder she received instead.

When did she become some kind of villain in everyone’s story? When did communication take a backseat to assumptions and silent hatred among friends and family? Casting a nearly disinterested glance at Ira to meet her gaze, the High Queen offered to hold a wedding, and now the ball was in the Empress’ court.

With a sigh and eyes cast down to the ground between them. “This... does not feel like a joyous occasion to be celebrated.” Though she did not see Noboru as her mate, as her husband, this was the second time she didn't feel delighted in a union between herself and another.

It didn’t feel filled with love and joy, not near that fairy tale ending that most little girls dreamed of. “I will take Quicksilver as my husband, but I do not wish for a wedding… not yet.” Not until the fights subsided. Until they both felt enough joy to share with their friends and loved ones to cry out joyfully in unison for their union.

the staff team luvs u
04-19-2022, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2022, 05:10 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 1 time in total.)
Still, Reiko was not happy. While she accepted the terms of their marriage and agreed to take him as husband, she rejected any suggestion of celebration. Good, the druid mused. Their union was already strained, and he figured a more private ceremony would mean less eyes upon their misery.

He looked at the snowflower quietly. What had she really expected of him when she sprung "I offered our children to Ira" on him? She'd told him she would understand if he was angry, but it seemed disappointment was out of the question.

How was it that he could spend months longing for someone, waiting for the perfect opportunity to express the extent of his ever-growing love, only for it to seem so meaningless to her?

Quicksilver was silent, hopeful that Ira would excuse him sooner rather than later.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-19-2022, 09:40 PM
Then make reason for it to be one. Already this had gone in enough circles. Had they not been head over heels for each other nearly a week ago? If that had changed then they were better off waiting for a better arrangement to come forth. Your union does not need to come now, but you two need to work through whatever doubts you have lingering soon if you wish for this to work. If you can not do that, do not agree to a life-changing agreement. Every couple had their fights sure, but they were ultimately brushed aside or forgiven. Perhaps she would have called it off herself had she not believed both were acting like children. For now, she would leave it be and see if they could fix their issues on their own. With nothing left to add, she would turn to leave the pair to their own devices.

the staff team luvs u
04-19-2022, 09:58 PM
Ultimately, Ira was right. But Reiko couldn't overcome that sadness, that dark cloud that hung over her and Quicksilver and put on a mask for all to see their union when all she felt was sadness for them. No words were uttered as Ira turned to leave, nothing but a sigh as soon as they were alone and the Empress rose to her own feet. “I leave that decision to you, Quicksilver.” She wouldn't turn to catch his eye, all she ever saw was frustration and woe within the druid's stare these days and she opted not to get lost in them as well. “Neither of us deserves an unhappy marriage.”

She would say nothing else. Not until he was ready to talk and not shut down every time he hears something he does not agree with. Not until Quicksilver was ready to discuss instead of pointing fingers and not pipe down and let negativity fester and continue to destroy the world around him, around them. Not giving him much time to say anything, preferring for the druid to think before acting or speaking - she was off.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top