Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
I think I'm growing weary and I'm hoping you'll come soon,

P
Adventurer
04-07-2022, 02:02 PM
@Strawberry

There had been a lot of horses lately in the plains, Uriel thought. Though there was always herds around, none that actually communicated with wolves.. Sort of, she thought. The first stallion she met was one of a more aggressive nature compared to the more tame horse like @Bayar, who was all too friendly and adored. She was comfortable, with the smaller steed, but unfortuently warped her mind that all horses were like so.. Until meeting a different one.

One more did she grow back to wariness over them — a good distance away from herself and those of the different herds. She didn't have a desire to be kicked any-time soon, and wasn't so reckless enough to go near. Uriel respected that horses wanted their own place, and distance from herself. It was the downside, of being a wolf, a predator of the wilds itself. Limited interaction with the fauna that roam, for all would fear that wolves would attack them.

Even when she walked, Uriel made keen note of the areas she smelled of horses, and would make a detour.. Yet at the moment she could've sworn she smelled Bayar.

the staff team luvs u
04-07-2022, 03:32 PM
 It was a peaceful day. Strawberry had wandered a little further from the herd, exercising a little freedom. Her instincts were at a low hum, ignorable as she tried to enjoy herself. It became easier when she focused on collecting things that she liked. Like flowers!

She could eat them, yes, but she really just wanted to pick them for her friends. For the filly and for Renegade. Would he like pretty flowers? She didn’t know but she figured she should say thanks somehow for trying to help her not be a pushover. It was slow going and she didn’t feel she was getting any better… but she was trying and maybe one day she could be like him.

For now, she was just the same simple Strawberry. Picking flowers and daydreaming about flying. Something nagged in the back of her mind though, that instinct, that anxiety… it was kicking up. Immediately, she snapped her head upwards, flowers –an assortment of pretty colors—sitting in her mouth, visible. It was a stark contrast to the apprehensive look on her face.

She looked around and there. There was the cause of her fear.. a golden wolf. To her, the woman looked like a bogey man. An evil creature, ready to pounce and kill and murder and eat her. She began to panic, feeling like the only clear solution was to run. He eyes were wide open, the whites showing, her nostrils flared, and she nearly bit through the flowers she was holding. Where to retreat? Where to go? She was practically dancing on her hooves with pent up energy. She was primed to flee if things turned even a hint more terrifying.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-08-2022, 01:50 AM
Her nose twitched as the smell became more clear, and yet muddled. As a pack wolf, the smell of wolves were always upon their pelt with the mixture of whatever their territory was. The forests, the icy mountains, the windy plains itself — for horses they held their own musk, but gradually so Uriel found herself familiar with especially as she spent majority of her time within these plains. Once uncomfortable by it, now felt a peace being so open — and the ability to view all with a peace. 

Her nose lifted as she looked around and spotted what was closest to so, but wasn't the horse she expected to see. Unlike the more warm-tones she was familiar with, they were a blue roan. Pretty though, however.. As a predator she knew the look of fear and worry, especially the same look as if she was going to hunt her. With a polite stepping back, she hoped to give enough of a peaceful space of another.. Only giving a nod — maybe a hopeful reassurance.

Enough to ask if she knew Bayar, was the hope.

the staff team luvs u
04-08-2022, 09:59 PM
 The wolf noticed her, staring back with the eyes of a predator. The blue mare was a wrong move away from bolting. A simple sneeze probably could have set her off as she stared with terrified eyes. However, the wolf deliberately –it seemed—took a step back. It confused the horse but did take a little pressure off.

In this situation where anything could set her off, it was the perfect choice.

The second thing she did was nod.

Worry lines creased around the mare’s forehead. What did that mean? She began to breath heavily but this time, she wasn’t primed to run. Instead she looked confused, on top of terrified. ”Wh-wh-wh-wh,” She stopped speaked, panicking, terrified. She had to swallow and try to again to get the words out. ”Wh-what was that f-f-f-for?” Could wolves even talk? Was she wasting her breath? Or was this some elaborate ruse to distract her? She glanced around without moving he head, afraid that others would be sneaking up. What if she ran and another wolf popped out?

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-10-2022, 06:57 PM
They were as meek as some rabbits, she looked like someone about to fall with a panic attack. She never knew horses that were like so, one she met was full of energy, and the other was the intimidation like an Alpha of a wolf pack, aggressive to the boot ; for reasons she understood, and yet not at the same time. Everyone, held hostility to the predators, especially wolves.. But she didn't think she held a disposition that seemed like she would attack a horse, that it felt a bit saddened, if she looked like the devil that wolves were made to be.

"Oh, I was trying to make you more comfortable," Uriel said with honesty, "I wanted to ask you something.. But you seemed frightened by my appearance."

the staff team luvs u
04-11-2022, 05:38 PM
 More comfortable… with a nod? It was almost as shocking that the wolf cared about her comfort as it was that she could speak. ”C-c-c-comfortable?” And here she was talking back. Oh, she would have to lie down and process this later.

”I am. Fr-fr-frightened… I m-m-m-mean.” It was clear that she still was, that her instincts still screamed at her… but she wasn’t quite on a hair trigger at this point. Her brain was overpowering her instinct to run, for the moment. The wolf seemed like she truly just wanted to talk…

It could be a trap… A voice reminded her in the back of her mind.

But she hasn’t stepped closer… she hasn’t bared fangs and there’s no one else here. Just to be sure, she looked around where she could without turning her head before quickly refocusing back on the wolf.

”What… d-d-d-did you want to ask m-me?” She stuttered out, forcing the words out through her veerrryyy slowly abating fear. The scent of predator was just so worrying.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-11-2022, 11:03 PM
"I don't hunt horses." Such a frightened mare, it made Uriel think she was once attacked by a wolf, or otherwise was simply extremely afraid. As she was unaware of horse culture, she wasn't sure if they would warn them about predators such as herself. She wasn't so naive to think they didn't have cultures and lore, fables and so — but she didn't know if they held same warnings, like they do versus to bears and lions. Dangers, that every wolf is taught ; but not so much of horses when they are a rarity depending where some live. But others may treat them like elk.

Uriel nose twitched, as she caught the scent of another.. A scent she hoped wasn't true, and wouldn't ask further out in fear of what may be, "Do you know Bayar?"

the staff team luvs u
04-12-2022, 09:28 PM
 Didn't hunt horses? It confused her. Everything hunted horses, right? It's what her brain told her. Fear everything. And then, without even thinking about it, she blurted out, "Why?" Oof... did she even want to know? What if it was some gross wolf answer? She wasn't sure if she could do with detailed descriptions of anything gross. Like blood or guts or something like that. Yeck...

But then, she was asked about Bayar and Strawberry blinked. Clearly caught of guard... and disarmed just a bit. "Y-y-yes!" She bobbed her head up and down in a nod to go along with the confirmation. "Sh-she's a part of my herd." The herd that Renegade wanted her so badly to protect. The one that she didn't feel like she could ever protect... 

Even now if this wolf threatened her or Bayar, she wasn't sure if she had it in her to fight. She'd probably just run and never look back. 

"You... know her?" She forced herself to focus back in on the conversation, to stop the spiraling self-deprecating thoughts. They loomed at the back of her mind but she made herself look at this now very strange wolf.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-14-2022, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2022, 10:00 PM by Uriel.)
"Uhmm... I don't like hunting in general," Uriel confessed, especially since she came to the land. Where other creatures could speak wolf, or perhaps it was vice versa.. It was uncomfortable, knowing that whoever she hunted for survival would scream and break. She didn't like it, and usually if needed to be, tried to hunt with the upmost of silence. A stealthy approach, but as time went on ; Uriel felt guilty. She usually hunted fish now, nor' berries, "especially those I know," she thought that saying horses don't taste good and are dangerous wouldn't be very assuring. 

"I met her some time ago, but she didn't have a herd at the time.. I thought it'd be nice to ask how she is doing." It had been some time since she saw the curious horse. It brought herself a change in perspective, as originally the golden dame gives a polite distance between herself and the herds — but the other bounded after her in a curiosity, and soon a series of questions. She found herself found of the smaller one, and now able to smell her, was very curious what was she doing these days. Especially if she found herself a herd.

the staff team luvs u
04-15-2022, 03:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 03:46 AM by Strawberry. Edited 1 time in total.)
 It wasn't a gross wolf reason at all! She didn't like hunting? Was something wrong with her teeth? Now, curiosity far overpowered the fear in the blue mare. She even chanced one step forward so that she could peer at the wolf-mare's mouth. Perhaps she could spy some sort of abnormality about her fangs when she spoke. "But why? What... what do you e-eat?" Berries? Flowers? Grass? What alternative was there to the traditional meat? 

This wolf... didn't seem so bad after all. 

Another step and then she stopped. Careful. Easy did it... just in case. 

"Bayarmaa is doing w-well. She's very spirited." Said with a smile because the wild horse was far more spirited than she would ever be. it was inspiring. "She's a part of our herd... with I and R-Renegade." Ah, poor Renegade. Having to deal with a lead mare that was so far out of her league. She could feel the sadness and disappointment tugging at her heart.. but she still tried to focus on the wolf. In the present.

the staff team luvs u
04-18-2022, 11:00 PM
"I have a fondness over fruits, like berries." The sweetness was tantalizing that it'd be wonderful if as a wolf, she could survive soley upon. Yet it was not within their nature to able to do so, as so obviously by the set of canines they held. They were of beasts that required meat, and gradually Uriel was growing quite uncomfortable with the subject that she was slowly avoiding it altogether ; except for the rare moments of true wonder, and.. "I try to fish if needed," 

She was far more comfortable by fishing, and starting to solely prefer to do so when true hunger came. Uriel survived as so far, but sometimes people seem to hold a need to hunt and ask her to join.. It felt rude to completely reject, but as the discomfort was growing ; she'd slowly grow courage to ask to hunt something else. Like fish!

She winced slightly at the name of Renegade, and the fears came to be true. Though Uriel tried to keep a smile upon her face, the slightest discomfort might be showing if the other noticed enough, "I'm glad she seems to be doing well," so she hoped. The stallion seemed very protective, and a bit judgmental — at the very least, she was safe.. But it might mean that she would see less of the mare.

the staff team luvs u
04-19-2022, 10:13 PM
 ”M-me too!” Uh, well, she knew that was obvious because she was a horse but to have something in common with a meat-eater… that wasn’t something she expected to happen. How very strange. ”Uh, not, uh… not fish but fruits… and berries.” If she had hands she might have pressed her fingers together nervously at the knot of nerves that appeared in her gut after she blurted the initial thing out.

Strawberry, being quite the wuss mare that was aware of everything, noticed the change in expression. The pull at the contours of the golden wolf’s face that implied that she was not doing well. Strawberry, being the horse that she was, couldn’t ignore that. No, not even in a carnivore. Especially not a carnivore that she was growing more and more comfortable with as the seconds ticked on. One that had been nothing but nice and understanding. Oh so very understanding of her situation. ”What’s wrong? D-did I say something wrong?” Oh, oh no! She’d offended her by saying something stupid! Oh dear, oh fiddlesticks! Why did she have to open her big fat mouth. Was it the questions about her diet? Was she sensitive to that issue? ”I’m sorry! I didn’t m-m-m-mean to offend you at all!” Oh, was she going to lose the possibility of… well… maybe a friend? She didn’t have many of those.

Especially not wolfy ones.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Counsellor
04-24-2022, 07:02 PM
Raising her paw with a smile, she pointed toward the north — where the Golden Glade lied, "no wolves except myself live there, but you can find various berry bushes over there." It wasn't a haven or sorts where many lay within, but enough that it brought substance, and delicious treat if so. A welcoming season of them until eventually they would disappear for next year — she tried to savor the taste for the upcoming seasons. Maybe this was why the smaller critters hoarded.

Uriel was surprised, and then was quick to try and assure the other, "Oh no, I'm not upset at you, you're very nice," and took a mental note to be more careful of her outer appearance. Her rather discomfort of the lead stallion of her heard was apparent, and Uriel wasn't sure whether it was to explain or not.. But it felt like Strawberry wouldn't be at ease unless she gave a statement.

"I met Renegade before.. He approached myself and another wolf and threatened us. I'm a bit uncomfortable with him due to that." By any clarity, Uriel was not uncomfortable by her or Bayar. She was growing more comfortable with horses despite some danger lurking — but when one approached with such a dislike toward herself, it was a bit of a startle. She would prefer to avoid, if possible.. It felt like that'd be a bit difficult if she continued interacting with two mares apart of the herd.

the staff team luvs u
04-26-2022, 09:27 PM
 No wolves? It sounded almost like a paradise… ”And, no other predators either?” As if the wolf herself didn’t count as one… but she seemed different. Sincere in her words that she would not try to come after her. That she ate nothing but fruits and fish. It seemed like a dream come true. ”I.. I wouldn’t mind… coming for a visit if you’d have me?” To have so many different berry bushes would be a dream come true!

”You’re very nice”. Strawberry felt like blushing at the compliment, shyly dipping her head both in embarrassment and to show her relief that the wolf wasn’t upset at anything she’d done. Although she was upset at the company she kept. ”He… he can come off a bit strong sometimes but… but I think it’s from a good spot.” She liked Renegade, he was putting up with her uselessness and trying to turn her into a mare to be proud of. ”Like, wolves are usually dangerous. H-he might have thought you were going to threaten his herd.” Just as she’d assumed Uriel would try to hurt her. It was the same thing except Renegade was more likely to kick and she was a thousand times more likely to run away. ”Us herbivores are used to things like that.” Threats of fangs and claws came quite commonly to those like them.

the staff team luvs u
05-06-2022, 01:03 AM
"There's a wolverine.. But she's quite old, and pleasant to talk to once you get used to her." She knew technically that the grandmother was counted as a predator of sorts, and an insistent one if she really wanted to be. Yet over time has shown to be quiet caring despite crass with words — troublesome to perhaps some and could only imagine would scare the poor mare. But at the very least, Uriel highly doubted that she would even attempt to hunt a horse. .. But she did see her take a bison head, and Uriel decided to not mention that, "I would love if you did."

"I can see why," and didn't deny that wolves can be terrifying. She had met a few who were dangerous, crude and not someone she wishes to see again, "though I wish he wouldn't approach with such an aggression.. When only were watching the clouds." Uriel confessed. Maybe another day they would get along, but at the moment she felt like how Strawberry felt to other predators — afraid, and intimidated, especially if she were to be stepped on or kicked. Above all else, she was afraid of dying. She could smile with a slight strain.

the staff team luvs u
05-07-2022, 08:36 PM
 "Wol-wolverine?!" She seemed worried about that, even though she didn't really know what a wolverine was. "Are wolverine's like wolves?" That is to say, huge big-fanged things that could swallow her up and use her bones for toothpicks. Okay, the latter part probably wasn't entirely true... but that's what her brain said to her! Although, having Uriel there... it would probably be fine. She allowed herself to relax again when the woman said that she'd love to have her there. She smiled softly and then promised, "I'll come by sometime, then." Because she did find herself liking the presence of this gentle and considerate she-wolf. Had someone told her that a week ago, she'd never have believed it. 

"I'm sorry..." The horse said on behalf of her friend? Mate? She wasn't really sure of the distinction at this point in time. "I hope in the future you won't have any negative experiences... and maybe we could all get together and hash out any misunderstandings. If you'd like." In the future, if Uriel felt comfortable. Otherwise she wouldn't push the issue. She didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable. 

There was a pause and then she asked, "You like to watch clouds too?" So far she hadn't found anyone to cloud-gaze with her and she wasn't sure if she'd ever known anyone to make shapes out of the clouds. Not that she could remember anyone at all.

the staff team luvs u
06-05-2022, 07:19 PM
"Oh no," Uriel said trying to reassure, "they more look like.. Badgers, but fluffier." That was the most accurate description she could give, that would perhaps ease her. It was a truth though, she thought, that they really did look like one. Maybe a mixture of a badger and skunk, but lacked that smell the other gives. At the very least, the wolverine she met was a pleasant, if not prowess motherly one. She was a caretaker, and it was a wonder why she had liked them so..

"I hope so, I don't like.. Conflict. I'd prefer to get along, if possible." And she wasn't beneath to try and get along with the horse known as Renegade, despite seeing him as a rather scary once, just as Strawberry saw wolves as scary. She would hope at the very least he would not come after her again..

"I do. It's a good time to relax and gaze above," the golden girl said, as she raised her head and looked upon the sky above them. Today seemed a rather clear day, however.

the staff team luvs u
06-11-2022, 10:02 PM
 "O-Oh! A badger, that's good." Badgers were harmless, right? She'd seen a few from afar, they mostly seemed interested in eggs and other harmless things. That didn't seem so bad at all, nothing that would bother a horse, anyway. 

"Oh, me too. I wish everything didn't have to be so violent with people all the time. I just, I just wish we could all just be friends." She shyly looked away, knowing it was a dumb wish and that it would never work out that way in the world... but it was a nice thought. 

It seemed that they had a lot in common. She smiled and nodded her head. "I think so too. It's also fun, to pick out the different shapes." How could she have so much in common with a wolf? It was crazy! But amazing, all the same. She felt brave for getting this far, for not running when she could have. "My name is Strawberry, by the way. W-what's your name?" And now, exchanging names! How neat.

the staff team luvs u
06-16-2022, 07:23 PM
Hopefully she'd like Khadne. Though the woman was a bit brash and intimidating, she would hope since they were not a wolf, Strawberry would be more inclined to enjoy them. Though Wolverines were predators.. Do they eat horses? She did see the woman drag home a carcass of a bison head.. That'd be a question for another day.

"I agree," Uriel said nodding profusely, "I think everyones just.. Very quick to have a land to call their own. To protect friends.. Although sometimes, that means the cost of others." Her ears forwarded it in a bit saddened tone as she thought so. The wolf agreed with Strawberry a lot, and it felt nice for someone to be on a similar wave-length, but even she wasn't a fool on the matter. It was near impossible, especially predators vs herbivores.

After all, they need to eat.

"I am Uriel," her ears raised and she smiled a bit more warmly, finally introducing herself.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top