Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Won't you say you love me later, by and by

Early Morning Overcast
P
Vanderfell Woods
Medic
03-19-2022, 09:02 PM
@Ira dated March 10 when she returned

A week had gone by since Ira had made her path to Ragnar's lands. The days were spent watching over their kids more than anything as they were from 2 watching over them, down to 1. He had let the others take up patrolling and hunting more while he remained close to their young. Catching anything that would roam too near for himself and share with the children, on top of fetching anything from caches to keep their bellies full and eat whatever scraps they left behind.

It didn't stop him from wondering how long Ira would be away. Every once in a while when given the chance, he would look over the horizon to the west and wish to see her approaching. In the early morning, he would approach the path down toward the West and watch the sun rise all the while keeping his eyes out for Ira, for prey nearby, while his ears were on a swivel to listen to their children should they begin to wander around for the day.

They too were getting older and soon he would no longer need to hover around them, but perhaps they would have to deal with him a little longer than most children may be accustomed to.

the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Adventurer
03-20-2022, 11:03 PM
Ira had retreated home with haste, though it was not the west from which she came. The woman was forced to cross through the Everfrost from her venture north, and while she could have detoured, she knew laying tracks and a direct route home would be best given what she had discussed with Reiko. It was early as her borders came within sight, the sense of familiarity washing over her as she pushed past marked lands. She had much to discuss with her husband regarding her travels, though it was safe to say one issue took precedence over the rest.

Fortune would favor her as she caught Hieronymous' scent on the wind, his trail relatively fresh as she followed until the painted man graced her eyes. You wake early. Not that he too was one to sleep in, but there were many days where she may wake before him due to his precise schedule. Of course with her absence she supposed he felt it was his duty to cover the tasks of both until she returned. Fortunately you have spared us time. There is much to share. Fortunately less so in regards to the one that troubled his mind, though what replaced her news would surely upset him just as much.

the staff team luvs u
03-22-2022, 10:33 PM
Today would be his lucky day as Ira was quick to find him watching the horizon and draw his attention with her call. “A lonely King's duty never ends.” He said with a welcoming smile, teasing in a way that he low-key in his own way admits to missing her. Of course she would know he did. As she continued to speak of many things to talk about, he would greet Ira with a rub of his cheek against hers. He had no idea why other wolves did it other than a show of affection, completely oblivious to "sharing scent" and would continue to just mimic normal wolf behaviour without thinking much into it.

“We have plenty of time, the children won't wake up for a little while still.” They were getting older but the young still slept a good portion of the day away. He could swear it was so they could run circles around him with their boundless energy even a man who couldn't feel the fatigue had a hard time keeping up with them! “Did the meeting with Ragnar go well?” He hoped it would have cleared some air between the packs and their kings. As little as Hieronymous liked Ragnar in their last meeting, he held onto the hope that it could be salvaged.

the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Adventurer
03-22-2022, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2022, 08:47 PM by Ira. Edited 1 time in total.)
He missed her, of course, he did. She would be lying to say she did not feel the same. Her heart would always lay here; with him, their children, and the mountains. A touch was shared, brief as it may be, but she knew there was no time to rest and unwind. That could come after assisting Shiroshika. Good. I would not want word of this reaching their ears anyhow. War and strife were a part of the world, but they were all still young. She wished for them to grow up, strong, but unburdened by the weight of reality until they had passed their ceremonies.

Ragnar is the least of our worries. I can recount that meeting later, but for now, we must speak of Shiroshika. Surely he recalled the news they shared of certain visitors and now they too faced potential trouble from the same individuals. I sought out the Empress on my way home to fill in what gaps Gyrfalcon could not. The tiger knows no bounds and it seems he is led willingly by the wolf of flame. Reiko asked for my counsel, and in doing so, our aid to end their troubles. Briefly she would pause to look for his reaction. Surely Hiero would take issue with what she said next, but she was a precautious woman and the gods would smite her before she allowed the same fate to encase their domain.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
03-22-2022, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2022, 02:21 PM by Hieronymous. Edited 1 time in total.)
With every word she said it drew his attention more than the last. What could she possibly have to share that she didn't want their children to know? It made his heart thud once out of sync, wondering what could it possibly be. Did the meeting go that badly with the northerners? Apparently not as Ragnar wasn't even the main topic of this discussion.

His smile faded as ears fell to the side with concern. More news from Shiroshika. “They've been inundated with trouble since day one hm?” He said almost avoiding the thoughts that swirled in his mind. On one hand they seemed like kind wolves. Having no issues with Vanderfell personally other than a select few in their region from the sound of it. Hieronymous couldn't think heads or tails of what to make of this.

Silently he had nothing else to add but wait with his full attention on Ira for what was to come. He didn't have to ask. It was coming and she was only giving pause for him to digest the news slowly with one bite at a time.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
03-24-2022, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2022, 08:47 PM by Ira. Edited 1 time in total.)
He wouldn't say it, but she could see it in the way he held himself. His smile faltered, ears splayed, and the way he looked at her was not the same loving look. Love would always be there of course, but there was more brewing behind the mismatched sea of green. It was rare for her to see this side, though even now he hid it well. Yes, I've always questioned how Reiko's leadership might hold in the long run. She's young and innocent, though it seems she has learned her lesson. No matter how many warnings one received, sometimes the only way one could truly understand was to experience it yourself.

I have no interest in affairs that do not concern us...but that is no longer the case. It would only be a matter of time before the duo set their sights elsewhere. Now Ira was given the chance to eradicate that possibility before it was given chance.  In return for our aid, Reiko has offered a formal alliance. She wishes to offer her daughter for Shiroshika's protection...or the company of one amongst the Hedrad.

There was little left that needed to be said. Surely he too had realized @Quicksilver's infatuation for the Empress, though he refused to act and brewed storms instead. I have accepted her offer. Idly she'd wonder if he would bewail her hasty decision without conferring with him, though it would not be the first time one of them had acted without a discussion. Thankfully they had never truly taken issue aside from any feelings sewn and discarded in the moment.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
03-27-2022, 05:27 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2022, 04:05 PM by Hieronymous. Edited 1 time in total.)
“At least her heart is in the right place.” Which he couldn't say for everyone. At least not in any honest manner. Some would do and say horrid things and mask it under a thick layer of "kindness" but the Shiroshikans seem to truly be just that. Kind. Too much so for their own good, and so hopefully this hardship wouldn't turn their kindness to hatred or resentment but instead a lesson that the world may see them as weak and easy targets.

Ira continued and he caught on immediately to what she was hinting at. “Quicksilver.” He'd voice what she thought. But that was the least of his current worries. Quicksilver had already admitted to his feelings and it seems that the Empress returned them. Though they would lose one member, it was a fair trade for an alliance. No, what bothered him was this affair with Kuhn.

“In this case, what kind of aid are you offering?” He knew the answer. He could feel it; he simply wanted to hear otherwise. If it was what he feared, even Ira would know just how treacherous fighting a tiger and his wolf companion would be. No matter who they sent, it just might be the last time they saw them.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
03-27-2022, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2022, 08:46 PM by Ira. Edited 1 time in total.)
Her husband was no fool, it was clear how much he had picked up despite how little she had shared. It was intentional after all, though he would ask for more anyway. A kind heart does not prosper without the means to decipher the hearts of others. If Reiko wished to be so openly kind she may, but now she knew the cost of doing so blindly. Yes. It was him or Reiko's daughter. I do not wish to see her whore herself for the means of aid and an alliance, that is not the purpose of this arrangement.

A random donor was not the honorable of those they wished to grow closer with, they were just a stranger's blood. They may lose Quicksilver, but the man was halfway out their door as-is for a woman a kingdom away. This would solve both problems. I should think it would be obvious. We are to help solve their problem or at the least ensure they have the means to do so themselves.

Once more she paused watching for darkness in her husband's face. This was a reality she knew would come eventually, no land was peaceful forever, but what of him? Was he prepared? I will not sacrifice the whole of Vanderfell for this cause. Only a few able bodies to ensure the cat hears their message or perishes where he stands. Ideally the latter, but that would depend on who was willing to take a life and who was not.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
03-31-2022, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2022, 04:15 PM by Hieronymous.)
Yes, he too was all too familiar with how the world works. How the cruel take advantage of the kind to get a stronger foothold on everything around them. Though Reiko might wish to rule with a velvet glove and an open heart - there were those who would come crawling through her pearly gates with less than favourable intentions. Sometimes one had to be cruel to be kind, the key was finding that balance without tipping too much into one.

He had nothing to say in regards to whatever the Empress had to offer for this alliance. Ira didn't want to have the woman find a random donor and preferred her daughter - but what of the Empress? Which would be easier for her to give up? Her only remaining child, or her own dignity for the sake of the pack?

“Will you be participating?” He clarified after Ira briefly explained. Cutting straight to the point of his questions with a wary eye. “I would prefer you remained and I go this time with a couple of others.” The reason for his desire to go instead of her? Well, it should be obvious enough.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-02-2022, 04:42 AM
For once he had little to say, either drinking in her words or waiting for the worst to come. She thought it would be no question who went and who stayed, but it seemed the question was needed anyway. Ira knew he was a capable defender, but he could not feel his limits in battle. He was kind and merciful but this was not a battle that left room for such a mind that could be swayed; nor a man who would die fighting till his last breath for those around him.

Ira shook her head, No. I must be the one to go. For many reasons, but above all else, I have acted as a general of war before. Reiko has no experience in this field. She will need more than just warriors, she needs to be guided by experience. She could send Hiero off and sit at home with the kids, but that was never her style. She was never able to sit around she was a woman who took matters into her own paws. I know you worry, but I will be safe amongst many. She did not fear death, but she did not expect to see those golden gates so soon either.

Trust me. Trust my experience, and I will return home with our own swiftly.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-10-2022, 02:28 PM
He knew the reasons, there were many and much more than Ira could come up with that would bring enough logic to this decision and prove that he was outgunned on this decision. That didn't stop the man from trying to fulfill his role as a husband, however. “I understand.” There was an underlying bitterness spoken here. Not to Ira, but to the circumstances he was brought.

“Don't mistake my worry for distrust in your abilities. As your husband, and as someone who had loved you long before you loved me; I will always worry.” And there was no way around that fact. No amount of logic would stop his anxiety from crawling up his back to watch Ira walk away and into any kind of battle.

There was also no shame in staying behind to watch their home. One of them had to after all and that was not the problem he kept eyeing here. This was a tiger after all. One who had already proven to be problematic to one pack.

the staff team luvs u
04-13-2022, 02:36 AM
I know. Her words were spoken with a softness rarely carried in her voice, though one Hiero had surely become acquainted with. She could not ask him to not worry it would always be his job, as it would be hers. Had the roles been switched she would not care to sit idle, but as the sole leaders of Vanderfell and parents to young, they had no choice. Should her judgment fail and their party decimated, she would not leave her children orphans nor those who put their trust in her without guidance.

However, there was but one way to avoid that. She must plan and prepare with those she had already decided would follow. Time was already ticking and their window of success narrowed by the hour. I must go. She'd stress her words once more, though this time in reference to her preparations over who would enter the woods of the beast. By now she hoped Hiero would understand she was not arguing with him, but before she could find out she would already begin to step away. I will see you again 'fore we depart. He and their children. She had no intentions of saying goodbye, but that did not mean she would not say farwell.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top