Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Sweet as nectar,

AW
Adventurer
11-18-2021, 01:15 AM
She started to turn away from the plains in a curiosity, as the winter hung in the air as she breathed outwards. It hung around before fading into the mist — snow had gently touched the ground but melted just as fast, an indication how close the changing of seasons was. Yet the earth itself still rejected such a weather, but it only a matter of time before it too, cooled down to accept the chilling times of the next season. She shook her head, as no matter where to go she would be surrounded by snow.

As a tiger though, Roshanak could survive well, especially within the Tundra where she knew caribou held tightly to. It had to be north, as always was. When she passing by the glade, beyond could see it's cold terrian and a wonder — for what northern packs laid within. For wolves dominated these lands, and there was always the arctic ones that laid to it's place.

She held her bag close, crossing through and noted lightly.. There was quite a few mountains where she was.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
11-19-2021, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 05:42 PM by Olive. Edited 1 time in total.)
It seemed that her small band of outlanders was on the move again, waking early in morning to leave one hiding spot for another. This was far more precaution than was truly necessary, but encounters of the unfriendly sort had set the woman at dis-ease. In her mind, it was better to keep their whereabouts new and fresh, without lingering for too long in one place, lest they be found by the golden wraith once more. As the self-proclaimed decision-maker and agenda-setter of the three, Olive cajoled the young child and the child-ish cat onward once more.

Olive knew naught where she was leading them, and was fully aware she was simply bumping around the same heights, crags and crevices; northern and icy as they were. The witch knew she was destined to descend upon the veils of cloudrest one day soon, eventually, and she neglected to meander far from it; one day, when her wounded flank was healed, and she could walk across the borders with her head held high. For now, she explored the surrounding terrain.

Breaking off from the two others (but not leaving as far as to lose their scents), the woman picked across the landscape to see which nook or cranny might make a good home for the next couple days. Instead, interestingly enough, she came across a tiger. Almost immediately, Olive recognized the huge, slinking creature as such due to Archon's graphic description of one he had met prior: "a coat colors that I’ve only ever seen in the sky, right before it gets dark. And she had lightning on her coat!"

"Hail!" Olive called out excited, picking up speed to sidelong approach the traveling she-beast.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Sprite-0005.gif]

duskguard  /  healing    /  lineage
11-30-2021, 05:42 PM
Roshanak dropped her back and sat down for a moment — taking a break from this rather exhausting journey. She rolled her shoulders, travelling far and wide to slopes not used to, it was getting tenuous to what she was used to. Though a soft smile was upon her face, for in the end that was her own fault, forgoing walking at times with other means at transportation. With that technology not existing in this world, as far as she saw, the tigress knew she had to bench up her muscles once more to fully survive. Hunting hadn't been an issue.. So far, but winter can say otherwise.

She turned to the sound of a wolf calling her out, white eyes glancing toward a pale ghost as she hailed her from a distance. They held an energy in her voice, one that devoided of fear as most wolves would present to a tiger.. Yet her scent smelled familiar, and wondered if this was someone she met a while ago — or a companion, or an acquaintance. One way or another, she smelled nicely.

"Hello there."

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
12-13-2021, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 05:43 PM by Olive. Edited 2 times in total.)
Olive was never quite sure what to expect when dealing with cats — their personalities came in a range wider than that of wolves, she believed, and they often came to surprise her whenever she made assumptions about them. Benry had been docile (and even spacey) where she expected him to be grumpy and combative, and the small Moosebellow was fairly aristocratic and suave where she thought he might be skittish. As the witch finished her greeting and slowed her rate of approach (as she was now considered the volatility that might unsuspectedly arise from the tiger), she craned her ears forwards and thrust her nose into the air, trying to feel out the vibe before she was in too deep.

There was no need for such curiosities, it seemed, as the feline paused in her journey to address Olive kindly. The smile upon her face alight, renewed, Olive wagged her tail to let the other know that this was an auspicious meeting, and that she was well-met. "Where do you hail from? she inquired, wondering if perhaps she was being too blunt. There was no stopping it, anyhow. "I have never seen someone with a coat the color of yours, not in my wildest visions or dreams."

the staff team luvs u

12-21-2021, 06:39 PM
"I don't think many would believe if I said from the stars," Roshanak said with a slight chuckle, joking in voice and yet.. Wasn't very far from the truth, "I'm from a land that is very far away from here." Wolves that held little civilization, and she did not know how well they adapted into science. Would they believe the stars were planets? The sun and the galaxies? That other lifeforms were from different places? She herself, not from this realm, and yet knew not how to return, or even make it back to the original place she was born into.. A shame as well, for this place did not hold the technology she was so used to, and the wagon that was missed.

"Are you from around here, miss?" Did the tigress ask back in curiosity, for not many seemed like a native in the land.. Roshanak lacked knowledge that she desired.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
01-10-2022, 06:02 PM
What a shame it had been that all cats she had met so far were male, for wasn't a female tigress simply a sight to behold! She moved in a manner that Olive could only dream of, as if her body was made entirely of fluid and lacked all bones, and her voice sounded as if it was comprised of a bird's song. The serpentine woman wore an eye-catching bag 'round her torso, which dazzled in Olive's curious mind — she was enraptured by the sight in a way she hadn't been with Benry or Moosebellow. It was like she was a goddess, incarnate.

and even she spoke of being from the stars, which drew Olive like a moth to a flame. Part of her assumed this must be a vision, or a dream — and in her lucid-dreamland, wasn't anything possible? "You might have found the only other being who would believe it," she tittered, stepping closer receptively, wondering what lay behind those pale, ghost-like eyes. I am from a land not-so far away," she admitted, wishing she had an interesting story of interrupted timelines and waking up in alternate universes. Olive was aware of the fact that she had lived many lifetimes before, but this particular one was seamless and uninteresting. "Even though i've traveled far, if you traced me back to the lands of my birth, i'm still an earth-creature." she admitted, probing for more information from this incredible star-being.

the staff team luvs u

01-19-2022, 09:12 PM
There was slight delight in someone believing in farfetched tales. A whimsical wolf, she held whites and hues like that of a maiden in the light ; ghostly in presence but holy in others. Even if she wasn't a wolf, the tigress could admire that of a beauty of another species, and can only wonder who amongst this land was amoured by this. She held a confidence, and words that seemed to be true and brought her a comfort that someone would believe she was from elsewhere, where normally others would look at her with a view of insanity. Roshanak was pleased, as everything about her beamed in a relaxation, and a welcoming to this being.

"Where do you originally hail from?" An earth-creature and yet spoke as if she travelled through mysteries herself, "my own birth place is very similar to this realm, but I originated from the north." When she thought of her homeland, it was indeed just as similar, and yet not as wolf-heavy with infestation. They were beings that did not hold that technology advancement, and by pure coincidence did Roshanak come across more then the stars itself ; and the wonder that it holds. She would miss the heavens itself, and the easy life that it brought.. But wasn't a stranger to such primal ways, and readily accepted her new life ahead.

the staff team luvs u
01-25-2022, 06:33 PM
The immediate resonance resulted in a sensation of being seen and understood on a level that surpassed the actual words being said. This happened more often than not in this lifetime (or this other, concurrent, alternate dimension) with relative strangers, and after the unsightly incident with Mal, Olive had been working on releasing control around this part of her life. Instead of letting her eternal, soul-felt recognition of others tire her, she would let it enliven her. So the pale sylph beamed back at the tiger who felt so very warm and receptive to her very being, hoping that the other felt similarly.

and she supposed such familiarity might be found funny, because it was entirely new to Olive to learn that a tigress could be from a place like the mountains, or the north, as the wolf hadn't the slightest clue anything about tigers, not from the food they ate to their behavioral patterns; for a women who prided herself on knowing intimate details about the biology of their environment (down to its energetics), this unknowingness was a foreign sensation — but the energetics, at least, were not so foreign. She still felt the awe and the godliness of this feline, and the sheer subservience that she felt in its presence. The tiger could perhaps ask Olive to do anything in this moment, and honestly, Olive probably would do it. The power dynamic exerted its pressure on the smaller canid, in a way that the women had never felt before.

However, all the tiger asked was for more details about her past, or her birthplace, and Olive quickly divulged every detail. "Goodness, it's hard to remember," she feigned thinking with a deftly furrowed brow. "I wasn't born into a pack, it was just my mother, my father, my brothers and I." It wasn't hard to remember at all; in fact, she could procure memories of this time with ease. "We were constantly moving. If my parents are still alive, they've probably drifted just as far as I have," and perhaps they would even meet again in another life, in another land, much like this one. "But when I was really young, we stayed in this splendid forest, with the weeping branches of willows. The air was always humid, and smelled of roses..." for the slightest moment, Olive was whisked away on the lightest reverie, which settled onto her features in a happy simper.

"All of my earliest memories are there." Olive concluded, cocking her head towards the auburn cat, and commenting rather inanely, "I look like i'm from the north more than you do." Then her thin mouth clipped closed, on a genuine-fact finding mission. How could a giant, sunset-colored being make its home amongst a white expanse? Magic, perhaps — which might explain why Olive had never seen a tiger, until now.

the staff team luvs u

Ecologist
02-15-2022, 11:34 PM
"That sounds like a lovely place," Roshanak commented. It would be something she would like to see, as though she had seen much the worlds have to offer ; she was more a collector, then one to sight-see. Perhaps at one point she saw a place that was similar, and felt within her core there was a memory of weeping willows.. But the image wouldn't emerge, it was like it was blocked. An unfortunate time she so thought, and wouldn't it be swell to see. There was a slight hope, maybe a familiar area was around.

"Strange, isn't it?" She commented, nodding in agreement. The other within a light, ashy-snow compared to her own bright oranges. Many within the tigers tundra being like so and rarely another color. Occasionally though, was there those who held a white coloring, and even gray — but what a rare sight it was.

"Most critters are color blind, and see orange as a gray, helping my kind blend in more. It's how we evolved to survive. Even our ears hold markings, akin to eyes to seem like we are always watching."

the staff team luvs u
03-06-2022, 06:49 PM
As the words fell upon Olive's ears, as light as a summer sun shower, she couldn't help how they twitched and pivoted to receive such significant words. Olive's next reaction was to squint her eyes inquisitively and jut her nose forward, as if ready for inspection. "Truly?" she chimed, the smile upon her face connoting her curiosity, not her disbelief.

Olive had always thought herself an adept ecologist, knowing many different parts of her environment deeply and honestly, working them like magic for the purposes of spiritual & corporeal healing. She had talked to different creatures, from felines to horses to animals she would normally consider prey; and never once had their color blindness come up. If this were true, then there was certainly much more left for Olive to learn about the world 'round her.

"How do you know they don't see colors?" she pressed somewhat more fervently. "I never heard such a thing," the sylph stated, looking at the tigress's brilliant fur, then down at her own drab pelt, realizing that she might be seen the same, no matter who looked at her. "It's dizzying to think about."

the staff team luvs u

03-07-2022, 03:25 AM
Her paw tapped her chin as she thought how to explain so, "I suppose it's more natural knowledge, like how we watch the elk graze and know their habits, or how we know certain fish go upstream to mate. Observing, and noting. Though I cannot deny I was also told some of this." She couldn't deny it was verified by the other beings. Much knowledge was gained while travelling elsewhere, especially how some prey work wonders on survival. She knew by heart that the more colorful one may be, the more dangerous they can be. Frogs were a great example.

"We all evolve in certain ways. The wolves of the north become white to match with the snow. But as a tiger, we evolve with stripes and with an orange to blend better. Some species are color-blind, unable to see red tones, but there is also a fact my kind dwells within the tundrian forests, where we blend within the trees as our stripes help." 

Evolution was a profound subject — humans introducing that they all descended from somewhere. Yet at heart, most knew of those stories. Many saying that the felines came from the sabertooths, and the wolves and dogs came from the dires. Stories told down from ancestors, and yet at the same time, most were but one of the many branches that came out from the unknown origin.

But she wasn't sure if Olive would completely understand, and gave an apologetic smile if it was too much. The one before her was bright, a curious one who even believed she was beyond the stars.. Perhaps this knowledge could satisfy her curiosity just a bit.

the staff team luvs u
03-15-2022, 05:31 PM
If anything could be said about Olive, it was that her curiosity would never be satisfied. Perhaps sated for a short time, but her sharp mind was always critical, always questioning, always musing upon realities and then alternative realities, concocting small experiments in her mind that oft were unable to be replicated in the real world, or subjected to any type of scientific process. It thrilled the woman to have another here who not only entertained her questions but seemed to hold answers to them, and she would milk this opportunity for all the understanding that she could muster.

"Hmm," she muttered. "I imagine that is difficult information to attain, for I assume such creatures would be unable to describe it well, having never seen any alternative before..."That was the sticking point in her mind. She entirely thought it possible to see a world without any color, but she could not possibly imagine what this would look like. Olive assumed that meant everything would be invisible, or maybe they only saw the outlines of things. Perhaps they 'saw' something entirely different, such as energy, like she could. Olive marveled at the possibilities, and at how she had so blatantly assumed that vision was the same for every species, and how little she exchanged ideas with animals other than wolfkind.

But there was another concept that didn't settle immediately with her. She sought further clarity. "Evolution?" the woman questioned, her ears flicking forward to connote an open, eager mind, despite her unknowingness of these subjects. "I apologize... I think I might be lost in the depth of which you speak," She turned her head sheepishly, unable to help the smile that sparkled on her visage. "To think that one can simply 'become' different..." she paused for a shake of the head, "It's not magic I've been able to access, yet."

the staff team luvs u

scroll to top