Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
'Sup

Afternoon
P
11-02-2021, 01:25 AM
 He was not far from Ichorwood but he was still out of bounds of the territory. He'd managed to wander his way back to his home in a rather timely manner and was now napping near a babbling brook. The area was picturesque with a few sunning boulders, the aforementioned water, and prey that seemed to be begging to be eaten. Even the slow Mordecai had managed to nab himself a plump squirrel and pieces of fur lay all over the place from his little meal. Of course, he'd eaten all of the hapless creature and the fur was the only evidence it ever existed.

Man! Today was such a good day. The birds were creating a lovely musical backdrop, the bees were... well, not buzzing because it was winter but they probably would be if it wasn't. Mordecai was soaking up the sun while he flopped haphazardly on his back, basking in the light while he snored uproariously. He was a notoriously loud sleeper and it was a surprise that something didn't fly into his mouth.

It was a surprise when he noticed that someone else was nearby. He bolted upright suddenly, eyes blinking blearily around. He casually lifted a rear leg to scratch at his belly while he tried to get his bearings and then-- "Oh hey! 'Sup, man?" He could see a paler male wolf nearby, who he smiled at in his normal warm manner. "Good day, ain't it?" Best day for a nap and a snack. Although for him, that could be any day.

Words: 256

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Untitled_Artwork.gif]
11-06-2021, 09:18 PM
There was a man, sleeping.

Snoring.

Sprawled out on his back with everything out in the open to see, and—

He sneered.

His upper lip twisted, curled, in judgement, in disgust.

A single front paw half-raised as if he was mid-step backwards. Everything about the entire fucking situation made worse when the fucking oaf chose then to wake up and immediately see him.

His ears rolled back against his head.

Stiff-legged and tensed.

His expression sour, like he had just watched someone piss in his food.

And—

He grunted.

Dour and wordless—judging—at his question.

the staff team luvs u
11-07-2021, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2021, 10:08 PM by Mordecai1. Edited 1 time in total.)
 Oh no. Oh, this was absolutely terrible. Here Mordecai was having a lovely day with a lovely nap in the lovely sun when this guy was clearly having a bad day. Mordecai had even been flaunting it by asking --what he thought-- was a rhetorical question about the state of the amazingly good day and this guy was having a clearly bad time! Why else would he look like that? Why else would he have such a sour expression if it wasn't because he was having something teerrriiibbblllee happen? Was it cause of all those scabbies and scars and scratches? Maybe that was why he looked so upset! The poor fellow....

Mordecai gasped, his expression turning into something sympathetic. "Oh man, I'm so sorry. Are you having a bad day?" Maybe he needed time to just chill out, sit down, and just relax? "Do you want to talk about it?" The friendly brown wolf said with a small smile that sincerely touched his warm brown eyes. Mordecai was a friendly guy and even if he didn't know someone, he would try his very best to make them feel happy and wanted and appreciated. It was just the right thing to do.

The rotund fellow scooted over to make room on the rock and then patted it with a paw. "You can even sit up here if ya want! I can share the rock. It's a real nice rock too, s'all warm and stuff. Partially 'cause of me!" He said the last bit with a laugh, clearly pleased that he'd managed to help the sun warm up the nice napping-rock.

the staff team luvs u
Content Warning
11-07-2021, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2021, 11:12 PM by Daighre. Edited 1 time in total.)
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • Strong language
What the fuck.

He stared.

In bewilderment.

In confusion.

In growing, mounting anger and frustration.

In sheer question at what was fucking wrong with him for him to act the way he was.

Was he fucking smothered as a puppy? Did his mom fucking roll over in her sleep late one night?

Seriously.

What the fuck?

His lip twitched.

A scowl, sneer, across his face, as he continued to stare at the fucking train wreck in front of him.

His ears matted back against his head.

the staff team luvs u
11-07-2021, 11:20 PM
 He noticed the ears sliding back, the twitch of the lip, the absolute anger that the guy seemed to be in... but it didn't click that it was at him, for how he was acting. As far as Mordecai knew, the guy was just having a really bad day. Like a Level 10 on the Bad-Day-O-Meter. How serious! He stopped patting the rock next to him, sure that the man wouldn't climb on up because he was far too upset. So, Mordecai did the next best thing and scooted over so that he was at the edge of the rock and closer to the other man. It would be easier to talk and be more personal that way.

"It okay if you don't wanna talk. We can just sit here together and enjoy the day. That usually makes me feel better!" He grinned, trying to project his happy, good vibes over onto the cream-ish colored stranger. So, he just smiled with his two buck canine teeth and a wagging little nub tail that he hoped would magically --through osmosis-- would infect the other man.

Then a thought occurred to him.

"Are you one of them... uh... mutts?" That was right, right? Those wolves that couldn't talk. Mutts? Yeah! Yeah, he was sure that's what it was. "I'm so sorry if you are! I'm bein' real not considerate! I can do both of the talkin' for us then! I'm real good at pickin' up on body language!" Except he really wasn't... clearly.

the staff team luvs u
11-08-2021, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2021, 12:10 AM by Daighre. Edited 1 time in total.)
He twitched at being called a mutts.

His lip wrinkling, curling, peeling.

Heavy brow furrowed.

Until, finally—

“What’s your fucking problem?” He asked. Low. Coarse. Scolding.

His shoulders tensed, creeping, rising. Defensive. His tail arched, curved, stiff, behind him.

A pair of metaphorical fists, rising.

the staff team luvs u
11-08-2021, 01:37 AM
 Oh! Oh no! He must have taken offense to being called a mutt mute! Mordecai hadn't meant to offend him and he was quick to apologize. "I'm so sorry! I really thought you couldn't talk! Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?" As for when he was asked what his problem was, the man seemed quite confused. His head tilted to one side and he blinked. "My problem?" Why... he had no problem at all! He was in quite a good mood! Well, less-so now that he was offending this poor fellow but overall? Yeah, he was doing pretty nice!

"Iunno what you mean, man. I'm just chillin' here." Still smiling, still trying to bond... except... Something was clicking into place.

He could see the way the other seemed to be posturing. Hackles raised, ears back, lips peeled to expose teeth. He'd learned about all these things in his schooling. He'd excelled in self-defense and fighting courses and had learned to throw up his own defenses when fighting. At this advanced stage it finally seemed to click--

How much his remark about being mute was upsetting this poor man.

"I really am sorry! I didn't mean to upset you like that! If you want some berries or some company, I can give it to you. Would that make it better?" Surely this guy wouldn't want to throw down over the comment would he? Mordecai didn't really want to shove his face into the dirt after a misunderstanding. It wouldn't feel right after it had been such a lovely day.

the staff team luvs u
11-08-2021, 02:21 AM
An idiot.

A stupid, fat, bumbling fool.

He scoffed.

Red eyes rolling and his ears still pressed back against his head but his posture relaxing.

Dropping.

Drooping.

His tail dead weight.

No wind, in his sail.

Licking his lips, unhappily and grumpily.

And—

“You’re a fucking idiot, butterball.” He sneered, low. Shaking his head to himself.

Turning around to leave the oaf.

How he got this fucking far in life was a fucking mystery.

the staff team luvs u
11-09-2021, 03:04 AM
 He kept his eyes locked onto the other man, wondering if he'd run in to try to attack... but he didn't. No, his posture seemed to relax and so did Mordecai's guard. He guessed he wouldn't have to slam anyone into the dirt today. Instead, he would be told that he was an "idiot". The rotund man's head cocked to the side and he frowned, "Well, that ain't very nice. I know I'm not very smart but you don't gotta be rude, sir." Mordecai was quite aware that his mental faculties were lacking, that's why he left all the smart brain-stuff to wolves like Crux and Harper. He bumbled along and provided the muscle where it was needed. As for "butterball", why, that actually sounded kinda tasty! "I'm just tryin' to help, that's all." Despite being insulted, he still smiled at the other man. Hoping to break through his prickly exterior.

Mordecai rose onto his paws, standing at his full height before bending over into a stretch and a yaaaawwwwnnnn. He straightened up when he saw the man walking away. "Wait! Ain't you gonna tell me why you're so upset? It's not good to be so angry all the time!" His mother had told him so! ...He thought she had, anyway.

the staff team luvs u
11-17-2021, 10:25 PM
He listened, painfully, as the aforementioned butterball struggled to get to his own fucking feet. Smacking and yawning and stretching.

Talking, all the while.

“Not angry.” He grunted.

Standing.

Terse.

His shoulders hunched, and teeth gritted. Tail limp.

No, he was fucking annoyed.

the staff team luvs u
11-18-2021, 02:45 AM
 Not angry? He stepped down from his sleeping-stone, forgoing the comfort so that he could converse more easily with this upset-guy. He would come to stand perpendicular to the man, standing a couple of feet away while he looked over the man's body, head tilting this way and that as he carefully examined him. Hmm... now, he was no expert but the way his shoulders were hunched and he looked all prickly, definitely seemed angry to him.

"Are you sure? I've got a real strong anger-dar and it kinda looks like you might be on the wrong side of 'feelin-okay', to me." Hehehe, he felt so smart for coming up with that one. Although he felt that it was true. It was easy to see when someone was happy or upset and he certainly seemed to be the latter. "So, uh, if you don't like berries, then. Then, maybe you'd want a fish or somethin'? I mean, I'm no good at catchin' fish but maybe I could try to get you one, if it'll make you feel better." And not be so prickly. Food helped everything!

Or at least it did for him.

the staff team luvs u
12-03-2021, 09:24 PM
Jesus, he was fucking dense, wasn’t he? Both in body and in mind.

He snorted.

Huffed.

Rolling eyes as he stared into the middle distance.

And—

“I don’t need your fucking charity, fatty.”

Seriously, he had some fucking scratches that were already tended to, big fucking deal.

He was healing, not fucking useless.

Whatever.

He huffed.

Shook his head. His shoulders.

Dead set on walking away and leaving the idiot behind.

Exit unless stopped.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top