Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
They say it's all about end.

Evening Partly Cloudy 46° F
AW
10-26-2021, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2021, 09:47 PM by Kuhn. Edited 1 time in total.)
Anyone welcome!

Some time in between being with his company, the solitary cat most likely found some reason to slip away. Perhaps telling @Valmúa that he needed to go to the bathroom, or slipping away while she slept. He was outwardly to glad to have the fiery woman here with him, though part of him needed some space. Perhaps, it was some deep part of him needing to surface for air, or screaming out for help.

Wandering to the edge of his claim, the treeline finally gave way, and he dropped his rear end to the tundra ground, with a long foggy exhale.
the staff team luvs u
Medic
10-26-2021, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2021, 08:39 PM by Aspen1. Edited 1 time in total.)
Aspen had headed down south after their interaction with the man at the lake. They still didn't quite know where they were, and there weren't any familiar scents to go with, so they'd come to terms with the idea that they probably wouldn't ever get back home. Perhaps they'd died in that blizzard and this was some type of afterlife. Perhaps it was a different reality, or a really weird dream. But Aspen wasn't one to dwell too much on that type of thing, so they wandered. 

The snow was dense here, with evergreens standing tall and covered in frost. They almost walked into the forest before they spotted a very, very large, orange creature sitting near the trees. 

And it looked... sad? Aspen wasn't too good with emotions, but there was a definite sigh in the fall of its shoulders. It looked like a cougar, and Aspen had spoken to those before.

It was probably rather stupid to approach, but honestly, with how weird the situation was, they could be doing far more dubious things. 

"Is something the matter?" they asked, stopping a few meters away from the creature. They weren't afraid, per se, but they also weren't foolish. This creature was easily four times their size, and if it wanted to, it could probably kill them quite easily. And Aspen wasn't looking to die today. "You look... troubled."
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
10-26-2021, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2021, 07:55 AM by Kuhn. Edited 1 time in total.)
Whatever slouch the tiger had in his posture was now gone. Almost as if he was trying to keep up appearances. Kuhn was back on all four feet as soon as he heard the voice. Instinctually his head pivoted to it's source, with a bit of shock. Not many where bold enough to approach a tiger like that. It was a light slender wolf.

As was normal, Kuhn checked behind him to make sure this was not trerchary from some pack. Looking behind him, the Everfrost was silent.

The stranger was correct, something was off, though he didn't know what, he felt like he should be feeling better than ever. "I think I'm fine." he said, obviously qualifying his statement. Why did he even answer that question to a total stranger.

"What are you doing in these woods?" He continued after an intospective pause, making a half ass effort to change the subject, hinting at the fact that this was his domain, mostly to dodge a tough conversation.
the staff team luvs u
Medic
10-27-2021, 12:24 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2021, 08:39 PM by Aspen1. Edited 1 time in total.)
The striped cat stood up upon hearing their voice, and Aspen felt the slightest bit of surprise at how massive the creature was. Not much taller than they were themself, but the muscles beneath that striated pelt belied immense amounts of strength. This was no cougar, but Aspen couldn't figure out exactly what he was. At the very least, he could talk. 

Still, they weren't afraid. The beast had given them no real reason to be, so their expression did not change beyond its usual unreadable facade. In fact, the response seemed almost favorable. 

"You cannot think you're fine. You know or you do not," they reasoned, warm brown eyes scanning the large animal over. He didn't seem injured. "If you are hurt, physically, I may be able to help." It was only right to use their knowledge of healing, if they could offer assistance. Mental pain was not Aspen's forte, however. 

The beast went on to ask why they were there at all, and Aspen tipped their head just slightly to the side. "I am walking," they offered honestly, for they truly were doing little else. The fact that it belonged to him did not phase them. "This place is very much like my home, but it is not quite right." They scanned the trees momentarily before making eye contact with the cat once more. "Is this your home?"
the staff team luvs u
10-27-2021, 07:17 AM
There was something odd about this one, almost as if a touch removed from the world, but it seemed as if they had dropped a lot of their preconceptions about the tiger, quickly offering aid. It was actually touching, not many would even want to generally get close to the striped beast, let alone so quickly offer aid.  

"No... I'm not hurt, though I do appreciate it." He replied, hanging on the words, surprised. Turning to the treeline, the tiger sat back down, relaxing himself.  "Yes, this is my home...", he added with a gesture of his head. 

Something about what this one said caught the cat's attention: the familiarity they claimed to have for this place.  "Where are you from then?"
the staff team luvs u
Medic
10-27-2021, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2021, 08:40 PM by Aspen1. Edited 1 time in total.)
Aspen had never been one to judge based on appearances. It wasn’t as though it mattered, in the long run. As long as there was communication, there was no problem - at least, in their mind. This man seemed non-threatening and the interaction was harmless enough, so there wasn’t an issue.

Not hurt. So it was something to do with feelings, then. That wasn’t Aspen’s forte, and to be honest it made them kind of uncomfortable to deal with their own emotions - let alone the feelings of someone else. ”That is fortunate. It would take many herbs to treat someone of your size, and I currently have none.” It was an attempt at humor, but Aspen’s tone usually made any jokes fall kind of flat.

And this was the big cat’s home. Aspen lowered their head in a slight bow. ”You have a lovely home. I did not mean to intrude.” But they weren’t in all that much of a hurry to leave, either, and it didn’t seem as though the feline wanted them out urgently.

”I suppose I am from nowhere, right now, but my home was a place much like this one - an evergreen forest that my family claimed. It did not have a name.” The name of the place wasn’t important, really. Or perhaps it did have a name, and they just couldn’t remember it. This place was an odd one, and some of their memories were fading from the old forest.

Aspen probably should have asked to sit, but they weren’t that polite, and the big cat didn’t seem too keen on chasing them off. So they settled down in the snow not far from them. ”Do you have a name?” they asked, looking up at the beast again.
the staff team luvs u
10-27-2021, 06:27 PM
Sarcasm was already difficult for the cat let alone when this one's humor already so dry. "I guess it would..." Momentarily pondering how others seemed to use herbs to help out with things.

Kuhn chuffed looking pleased when the stranger paid a compliment to his home. The tiger's posture took on a momentary increase in height outwardly reflecting the pride he had in this place. "Thank you. No, your fine, your not intruding." he said reassuringly, not bothered by the stranger taking a seat.

For good measure, the cat checked behind him again, this time it wasn't for a pack looking to tear out his hamstring. Rather, he was looking for his own wolf who seemed more possessive over his claim than he was.

"Uh... I'm Kuhn or Khun, either works. Do you have a name now?"
the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
10-28-2021, 04:17 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2021, 08:46 PM by Aspen1. Edited 3 times in total.)
It didn't seem like the large cat thought their joke was very funny. That wasn't a big deal, because the comment was true as well. It would probably take many more herbs to treat a creature of the striped beast's size, and Aspen wondered if they'd one day be able to have the chance to treat the wounds of a creature like this. 

There was an almost imperceptible upward quirk of the corner of Aspen's mouth at the cat's reaction. They weren't one for puffing out their chest, but it was nice to know that they had caused someone else to feel pride. They hummed in response, half-lidded eyes scanning the tundra before them. They didn't believe they needed to respond to that - it was somewhat of a relief that they weren't intruding, though.

The fact that the cat looked behind him again was odd. Aspen hadn't heard anything, but anything that could set a beast this large on edge was an intimidating prospect.

That was interesting, as well. Two pronunciations of the same name - Aspen hadn't heard of that before. "Kuhn," they repeated, feeling the foreign word on their tongue - in part to remember it, and in part to make sure they were pronouncing it correctly. "It is nice to meet you. I am Aspen." Last names seemed to be irrelevant, and it wasn't as though their family used theirs much anyways. "I have never met another cat quite like you. You are far larger and have many more stripes." The cougars back home had not been too particularly friendly, or hadn't spoken at all. "You are not a cougar, unless cougars are different here." Another tiny smile formed on their maw, barely visible. "Can I ask what you call your kind?" they inquired then, hoping they didn't come off as impolite.

Aspen wasn't usually this social, but they were intrigued by their new acquaintance. It was a special occasion.
the staff team luvs u
10-28-2021, 05:41 AM
Something about this wolf went well with Kuhn, perhaps it was that relaxed attitude of the wolf that played well with the tiger's feline nature. Or it was just the fact that someone was talking to him about something other than hunting rights or a mismatch in feline/wolf behavior.

"Aspen... Like the tree ?"
Asked the tiger, partly making his own association, to make it easier to remember. In fact in an odd way this one reminded the cat of a tree, still, serene and unmoving.

"I'm not a cougar? Some have called me that, but usually around here others call me sun cat." for a moment it looked as if the tiger was straining to retrieve some memory that could help him better answer that question. His attempt falling flat he continued, "But, I just woke up here, so I don't really know. But, you call yourself wolf?"

Once again it struck him; the pleasantness of this rare casual conversation, noting how much more talkative he found himself, his mind drifting from Valmua and his rekindled problems with Shiroshika.
the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
10-28-2021, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2021, 08:47 PM by Aspen1. Edited 1 time in total.)
Perhaps Aspen should speak with cats more often. The conversation was relaxed and not emotionally charged. It was nice, they had to admit.

A ghost of a smile crossed the edges of their maw again. ”Yes, I suppose I was named after the tree,” they responded, letting their tail thump once on the ground behind them.

They shook their head then at his question. ”You are not like any cougar I have ever seen. For one, they are much smaller than you. They are a solid light brown, not orange and striped.” His fur did remind them of sunshine, in a way. They’d never seen such a bright orange on anyone. ”Sun cat fits fairly well.”

”Yes, I call myself wolf,” they continued, a slight, amused exhale escaping them. Almost light laughter, but not quite. ”It seems that you and I are in a similar situation, then. I was walking through a blizzard in my homeland and when it passed, I was here instead. I am not quite sure how to get back.” It was a conundrum, for sure. One they didn’t know if they’d be able to figure out. ”I had hoped this forest might help, but it seems that I was wrong.”

Aspen glanced back at the cat again, tilting their head to the side. ”Do you live here alone?” they inquired, wondering if there were others like him in this forest.
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
10-28-2021, 08:32 PM
Still this one seemed to sooth the cat, continuing on with a relaxed conversation. Though the thought did cross Kuhn's mind , as to why this wolf would be so bold as to approach him like this. Especially for no apparent gain.

"I guess I'm not a cougar then? Is that the same as a mountain lion? A friend told me that before.". He replied, cocking his head in curiosity. It seems like this one knew of lots of things, and the cat was intrigued to know more.

When the topic came to the subject of their arrival Kuhn was all ears, even going as far as to stand up and take a couple of steps closer. "So you remember a blizzard from before and then, you where just here? All I have are like these feelings... From before, and these songs, then I was here in the snow."

Sitting back down, the big cat looked over the wolf, captivated. "Normally I live alone, but right now, I have... Company." He continued, reminded of his princessa. Her firey way of being once again caused him to check over his shoulder. "If it helps you find answers or visions, you are welcome to show yourself around, just respect to my markings, don't eat from my kills. But feel free to hunt as you see fit."
the staff team luvs u
10-28-2021, 09:31 PM
"Yes, cougars and mountain lions are the same. And if you are one, you are unlike any I have ever seen before," they responded evenly, brushing their paw over the snow in front of them to take the top layer off. They supposed Kuhn could be a cougar, maybe, in this weird world. Maybe nothing was impossible here. 

Aspen looked up again as the sun cat got to his feet and approached. The wolf didn't move, allowing him to come as close as he wished. It gave them all the more reason to study the large man, curious about how his features differed from the mountain lions back home. Even his eyes were quite different - a deep gray instead of the ambers and browns that the cats in their forest had had. 

This man was intriguing, to say the least. Aspen had never seen anything quite like him. 

"I remember a lot more than that, but when I try to recall specifics, like my family's faces, I cannot remember details." The fading of their features was honestly quite frightening, and though Aspen didn't often experience real fear, that was something that made them anxious. "I... do not believe in magic, but I have found myself unable to explain how or why I got here. And I am not the only one." They couldn't help but feel a little bad for the sun cat. Waking up here was difficult enough, but without any memories would be far more stressful.

But it seemed Kuhn wasn't alone here. Or, he was, usually, but not currently. Aspen hummed low in their throat in response. "I suppose your company is the reason you keep checking over your shoulder?" they inquired, wondering if that company might not be okay with them being there. Not that it mattered, if Kuhn was the owner of this land. 

They dipped their head at his offer, another slight smile on their maw. It was an extremely kind gesture on his part, and one that Aspen appreciated deeply. "That is very kind - thank you. I would like to see more of the forest - I do not know if it would help, but it does remind me quite a bit of home." And it was worth a try, anyway. It couldn't hurt. "I will respect your home. There is no need to worry about your markings or kills." It would be incredibly rude to do so after the cat had been so kind. "Is there anything you would like in return? Perhaps I can be of assistance." Aspen didn't have much to offer right now, other than healing, help with hunting, or an ear to listen, but they didn't mind offering any of them.
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
10-29-2021, 06:21 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2021, 08:12 PM by Kuhn. Edited 1 time in total.)
Kuhn listened to them muze on the traits of different cats for a moment, actually finding the wealth of knowledge intriguing. At the same time the cat was subconsciously copying the wolf, brushing away some snow with his own paw.

After inching a bit closer the cat had a moment to observe the strange wolf. Recently, Kuhn could now tell the difference between male and female wolf by the scent alone, learning from recent events. He had also seemed to pick up on some of their more subtle body language as well. But, with Aspen these things appeared unknowable, as if sent from another world.

Kuhn seemed to cut through alot of the other conversation and fixate on the wolf's comment on magic, evidenced by perked ears and a dancing tail. "What do you mean, you don't believe in magic, don't you believe in things you don't understand? Is that not magic?" Asked the tiger, a bit entranced by the oddity of this small wolf.

When Aspen made reference to his guest, Kuhn's mind snapped back to @Valmúa. "Oh, I was just think about where she might be." , smirking a bit. Kuhn did take note, of aspens offer to help in some way, and his gratitude for the hospitality. But, wanted to hear his answer first.
the staff team luvs u
10-29-2021, 07:08 PM
They did not notice the cat copying them, nor did they notice that he was struggling in telling their gender. Of course, the second one was commonplace. They were used to having to discuss that with strangers, but Kuhn had yet to ask, so they wouldn't offer any explanation. But they did notice his proximity, and as long as he didn't touch them, they were fine with it. Aspen was not particularly tactile - had never been - but they didn't mind someone being close.

Aspen turned their clinical gaze toward the suncat upon his next question. Their jaw twitched slightly - not annoyed with the cat, but moreso the fact that they were incapable of explaining their current situation. "Someone could explain it." Probably, at least. "Just because I do not have the answers does not mean that no one does." Their gaze darted away before returning to the striped cat. "But... for now, magic will have to do, I suppose." And boy, did that sting. They despised not being able to find a rational explanation, and that was evidenced in the slight self-annoyance spreading across their expression - the set jaw and the tightness around their eyes. It wasn't obvious, but they were sulking in their own way. "I do not like it, though."

"Perhaps I will meet her in the future," they said with a nod of their head. Surely they'd run into one another somewhere in this forest, if Aspen were to stick around. They rose to their feet and turned their attention back to Kuhn. "If you think about anything that I can offer you for your invitation, come and find me. I appreciate your hospitality." They offered a small smile to the cat, a little larger than the ones previously.
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
10-29-2021, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2021, 08:36 PM by Kuhn. Edited 1 time in total.)
Their gender did baffle the cat, though he didn't have the confidence to ask, mostly due to the fact that he was second guessing himself on the properties of wolf anatomy, which until recently he hadn't know anything about. So he decided to let it go, nor would he attempt to get any closer to the wolf. From experience, most didn't appreciate the big cat's own rather tactile way of greeting, aside from his his lover and a few others.

Cracking a toothy smirk, the cat obviously took some pleasure in watching the wolf metaphoricaly squirm at his argument for the possibility of magic. He didn't further attempt to rub it in and only nodded, figuring it would be best to just let Aspen think on it.

"Well, I hope you find what you are looking for here, if I need something from you, I will let you know." Kuhn said, while scratching and itch under his mane. Figuring that there was actually a high likelihood he might need to call on the wolf's analytical way of being and wealth of knowledge.

Kuhn wouldn't stop him If he needed to leave, he figured he would see him around, the forest was big, but like any other beast Kuhn could find him if he had to.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top