Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Group Only
[pack meeting] Wanna sip the smooth air, kick it in the sand,

Group Only
Dragonford Isles
Paladin
10-26-2021, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2021, 05:01 PM by Vendrussel. Edited 5 times in total.)
NPCing Monarch
@Kei @"Wither" @Aarkron @Belial

Optional, informing of so-
giving till November 2nd to reply once more

"As we have growing troubles coming from Northfall, the pack to the mountain," Vendrussel said, her snout pointing back to the northern range of peaks that were across their waters. She turned back to the group, watching them and their reactions — especially to those who showed. Those who did not.. Would most likely fall to blinded.

"War is on our backs, and in the end.. May come to," she so announced. Though Kei knew of it all, the rest may be in a bliss to what has occurred. The fightings to the borders, their wolves coming to Dragonford land. She let a low laughter, for it was not them seeking trouble, but the unstable pack who kept claiming more then their desire. A scorn to be, though she would like to seek battle as of now.. It was a patience game, at the moment, to wait and see what else had occurred.

"We will begin the Dragon Trials. They consist of specified tasks given by I, to the skills you wish to pursue, and the way to go further down the pinnacle path, to gain the dragons guidance. Only by this, can one rise further into our ford as well."

In due time would trouble come, and while so.. Would strengthen those she holds wiithin the land. Warrior or not, the path they take — to be that of an expert what they desire. Fearless, she wanted them to be.

"Those who desire to know more may come to me."

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
10-29-2021, 08:41 AM
It wouldn't take long for Kei to answer the call. Since settling there hadn't really been a gathering like now. Most of the days she had kept to herself, sparing the times she crossed Venny and aligned their efforts. She was right though, with trouble brewing they would need to all grow closer.  She knew, better than most here, just how far the boiling point had been pushed. How were they to fend for their land when they couldn't truly count on each other to watch their backs?

The Order had been different. She was raised amongst the pack as opposed to the single efforts of her family. They were trained in groups, sometimes the pack as a whole to strengthen their desires and the roles they would grow into. Of course, there was still time for her own seclusion then but never had she abused it like now. Her life as a loner, running from the past showed her how hard things could really be as an individual.

For that reason, she only silently nodded, more so to herself than her alpha as she thought back to her home. Kei had known of the dragons before, though they were more secluded than even the Order. The extend of her knowledge ended at her acceptance so whatever these trials held were a mystery, but one she was sure she would conquer quickly. This wasn't the Order. Her mentors were not here to berate her, even if they were right or only meant the best, she knew what she was capable of.

So, once it was time, she would follow Vendrussel to see what she needed to do.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 74445313_iNcyCvTxUg8q22X.gif]
10-30-2021, 03:35 AM
As prompt as he dare be, Absinthe was quick to heed Vendrussel's call.

A pack meeting. This would be his first since joining those of the isles. 

Settling himself, the man looked towards Vendrussel, ears pricked and prepared to listen.

She first spoke of troubles. They came from lands he had seen, but not ventured further than allowed by those calling it home. War was probable. Was he ready for it? Whether he wanted to be, he knew there would be no question. It was required. Now that he had chosen to join, it was his new responsibility to be ready for anything thrown there way. There was no reason for him to turn away just yet, and so, he would stay and swear his teeth and claws to Dragonford if the need arose.

Next it was of trials. As of what they consisted of? He had no clue, but that just made him more curious.

Chuffing, he remained seated, waiting to be beckoned to learn of how he could move through the next step.

the staff team luvs u
'' The rain is my escape. When it falls, so does the wall concealing my identity from the world. It the only time I can truly be me and dance in the rain, nothing but free. ''
11-01-2021, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2021, 07:12 PM by Vendrussel. Edited 1 time in total.)
Two came forth, with a inquiring knowledge to so. She suspected Kei especially to want to know more, and given a nice surprise that Absinthe too, desired the ways to move further to the land. A proud grin given to the both of them, leading away from the rest of the group who did not have the desire to come forth and know more. It wasn't the biggest issue for those who didn't desire but a higher rank, for there was always but those who were counted among them, as but 'civilians' to the mixture. Though in honesty, Vendrussel would always want more who venture to the trials.

"My ancestry is taught by long-lost dragons, died out from centuries ago. Given us in knowledge and wisdom, a guidance to reincarnation through bonds of each other," she so explained, "and here I shall bring it to life, though through not only warriors, but all that claims in skill and knowledge." When she remembered her homeland, they cared more of warriors then any other skills.. Valued they might be, it was thought through strength alone could they climb the ladders.

But she believed differently, and with visions from the ancients themselves — they guided her to this land, to especially teach others the same.

"To start is to express what skills you are venturing in and prove to me — only if deemed appropriate and skillfull into that venture, will one continue further," a pause, looking onto the two, "though further beyond that is a requirement of a partner ; a mate or a friend, someone you trust till' death do you part, to cover weakness you may not have."

"Pray tell, what do you two want to be skilled in?"

to gain further into the trials / higher rank, the first step is to gain the base skill of what you want to be in (hunter, warrior, medic, etc etc) but since they joined before skills, depending what they want just has to express that. Example; if wanting to be warriors/guards, just going to spar with Vendrussel without base skill.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
11-01-2021, 07:59 PM
As she stepped forward, another would come forth, though she did not recognize him. A new member maybe, and much like herself, he shared her ink colors. He said nothing as he followed, and soon Vendrussel would take the chance to fill the void with what was to come. The trials seemed to be a set of tests they would need to overcome, nothing too special there, except for the fact that a partner would be required to move beyond the start. Kei fought off the frown that tugged at her lips. Working together, sure, she understood that, but a partner was requesting more than that. Venny wanted her to give up a part of herself for a culture she had yet to fully adopt.

Even now away from the Order, their teachings still rang clear and there was no denying the mild torment that crossed her mind as she thought back to those she considered friends, family, mentors. They had betrayed her once, she would not let another do the same. For now though, it didn't matter. There was still the first trial at hand and then she could worry about trusting someone else later. As things were, there was no one she would pick on these islands for that kind of bond aside from Vendrussel herself, and even then it was debatable if she would agree. The shadow let out a huff through her nose as she side glanced the man at her side before looking back to her alpha, You know what life I came from.

It seemed self-explanatory, at least to her. A life given to balance by choice instead of force. I am a protector. A defender, though to the earth and soul, not just the body. There was more of course, the thirst for knowledge, paws that wandered. She was chained to this world yet free all the same. It was different from the way those of dragonkin were raised, but it was a life she thought to be understood by them.

the staff team luvs u
11-03-2021, 11:39 PM
There were many words coming from the woman's lips. Much to hear and even more to process.

The ways of a dragon weren't as simple, but they didn't seem too complex. It made more sense to him than he thought it should have. Walking alone forever in life would teach one nothing and make the soul bare. 

Having a partner to fall back on would once sound foolish. Perhaps now he could think a bit differently about it, per the way Vendrussel had explained. Though, the question stood... how to come by such a partner and work up to forming that bond? That was a different thought entirely.

For now, he would simply focus on proving his worth and finding his place within the isles. 

The other who stepped up responded first. By the confidence in her tone, it was clear she knew exactly what she wanted. Absinthe had no set goal, as perhaps she did, but he at least knew were his skill was often lain.

Lifting his chin, he set his gaze over the woman had addressed the pair. Ear twitching, he chuffed softly before he began to speak. “As she has said...” He began slowly; tone deep, almost course. Absinthe did not directly gesture towards she who he was referring to, though he figured it was obvious. “I would choose guardianship as well. However- I could vouch that my experience in tracking is not lacking. My soul is here, as dark as it may appear, to be in service of the isle and she who governs it. Whichever path is selected, I will follow without objection.”

the staff team luvs u
'' The rain is my escape. When it falls, so does the wall concealing my identity from the world. It the only time I can truly be me and dance in the rain, nothing but free. ''
11-05-2021, 08:32 PM
No one else stepped forth, as Vendrussel eyed the rest in a disappointment as the two went on to explain their destined path. She knew of Kei, but not if in the end still wanted to go forth to that legend. To protect the land itself, so was the Orders way — and in the end those roots stay tightly to the other, even if she was no longer there. Though herself could not talk, for she may be lost from her own clan, the northern dragon had taken the old traditions and continued to bring them forth. She saw it as a way to improve them, to further along that of trust and loyalty, and prowess to their desired job within life itself.

A grin slid to her face, her paws crossing as she sat with a proud posture, "both desiring that to be of a warrior route," a low rumble from her throat as a proudness would slowly cross over within her tone, "to start is to prove oneself.." An eye in particular was given toward Absinthe though, as he mentioned his work as a tracker. It would do well in both pathways but at the moment she would see him to more of that of a guardian route as desperately, needed so, "though I will say, you can always change your mind on a later date."

Getting up, Vendrussel distanced herself, "Kei will fight me first, and then Absinthe."

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
11-06-2021, 10:31 PM
Only a glance was given the other's way as he too declared his path. So they would both fight, so long as they passed the trials to come. Regardless, it was good to hear given their current state, what they truly needed was warriors. If not that then numbers would have to suffice for now, even better if they posed a threat to their enemies. For a moment she idled on just what options were available for the path ahead, especially should they have a change in needs later, but it mattered little at the moment. No matter her title, her skills would never waiver so should something else be needed she would have the paws to help.

As her name was called, golden eyes turned once more to their alpha as she offered her challenge. A fight, right here and now, to deem her worth. It still felt silly that she needed one at all given their history, but traditions were not so lenient. With a simple nod of acknowledgment, Kei stepped forward, watching as Vendrussel altered her stance and did the same. So many times had they faced off before, though victory was never certain for either. She had won just as much as she had lost and the dragon knew the only way to beat Vendrussel would be to outwit her as opposed to a test of strength.

exiting here to side thread

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top