Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Like a Machine

Midnight Sunny/Clear 55° F
AW
10-19-2021, 08:31 AM
Nyra readjusted to the activity cycle of Sanatorium just fine. Often times she would wake up at various periods throughout the entirety of the day and go to mark the borders and patrol for an hour or two before returning to her chamber. 

​​​​​​Now, the sun was nowhere to be seen. Nyra rose from her slumber, and prowled above ground, watching the stars twinkle in the sky. It had been a day or even a few, since @Exalted accepted her back into the fold, and Nyra wondered privately why Mother hadn't come to her call instead. It wasn't truly of consequence, she supposed, but her curiosity lingered. 

​​​​​​Shaking out her fur with a soft huff, the Shieldmaiden found a perch and watched the expanse of terrain leading into Hellfire Canyon with an almost unblinking, intense gaze.
the staff team luvs u
This is my art, and it is dangerous 
Sanatorium
10-21-2021, 02:45 AM
 She had noticed. Oh, yes. Like a hawk, Exalted would watch when she could and could sniff he other times. She had to be sure that their newest member was not thinking of turning tail again. Once her trust was broken, well, she didn't like for there to be a second opportunity for betrayal. So far though, things were going well.

She would report to @Odium the goings-on and any important matters. She knew she was the Interim Mother The First Daughter but it didn't feel right not sharing news when Odium was still alive and well within their fold. Recovering, resting, re-learning all that she needed while she awaited the day to rise and assume her rightful place as their leader. Below on Death, Itself.

It was on this night that Exalted returned to the Eye, in her jaws was clasped two peccaries. One for Mother and one for herself. She didn't want the woman to have to exert more energy than she needed to by hunting, so she would do it for her. The one that rose from Death needed to be kept fed, after all.

As she traveled nearer, she could see Nyra on a high perch... watching. The young woman would nod up at her approvingly before dropping both of her catches, confident that if anything would have the balls to try to steal... then they too would end up offering themselves as another meal. Then, she too would ascend so that she could join the larger woman on her perch overlooking the canyon. "Is the night quiet?" She would ask as she would recline to a sit, eyes turning briefly to the yellow-eyed warrioress.

the staff team luvs u
10-29-2021, 03:13 AM
Nyra twitched her ears as Exalted approached the Eye from below.
She looked down in time to see the approving nod, but otherwise her gaze returned to the canyon and watching for other wolves.
Turning an ear, Nyra noted Exalted's ascent to join her on high, and the question rang as her fellow cultist reclined to sit with her.

"Has been for a while." Nyra answered, glancing to the Interim Mother briefly.
She wanted to ask where Mother was, but she also figured she wasn't currently trusted enough to be told, so, she didn't bring it up.
"Is hunting at least fair?" She asked in turn, flicking her gaze to the pigs at Exalted's paws in acknowledgement. 
she'd hunt for herself at some point. For now, she'd stay put.
the staff team luvs u
11-02-2021, 01:51 AM
 "Good." The albino yearling remarked with a pleasant nod. The last thing they needed was some sort of attack while their numbers dwindled and their true leader lay in recovery. They needed the solitude to nurse themselves and help recovery their strength. Soon, the world would know of them. Would know the power of Death. She wondered if Misha's mission was going successfully out there in the world. When would she, herself leave to venture out and see what was out there? No time soon, she knew. They needed her here to be available for all things in Sanatorium.

"It is. The dumb pigs were practically begging for me to take them." She said with a gruesome smirk. The beasts had been easy to snag. Hardly worthy quarry, unlike those of similar shape to themselves. "Not very worthy opponents... unlike our own." She licked her fangs around her lips, remember the last feast she'd had of wolven flesh. It had been far too long, certainly.

Then, her gaze was cast to Nyra, appraising. "When was your last meal?" Was she hungry? "Are you keeping your strength up?" Even though she had descended the ranks, she was still a Child of the Mother. Mother loved all of her children, even those that still needed to prove themselves again. Hmm... perhaps they should go hunting at some point so that she could evaluate the woman up close. Perhaps even test her strength and mettle. She looked formidable and had proven herself against Alduin, but what would it be like to spar against her on her own?

Words: 262

the staff team luvs u
Sanatorium
11-04-2021, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2021, 12:21 PM by Nyra. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: NaNoWriMo )
Nyra hmmed softly in response at Exalted's first word. 
Good, she said. 
as the First Daughter responded with a smirk, the Warmaiden couldn't help but share a similar grin. 
​​​​​​
Indeed, Nyra could also agree, that pigs were dumb creatures in comparison to other, stronger beings. 
Like wolves. 
Maybe bears, or mountain cats, too, she supposed. 

Then, the inquiry to her own well-being came. 
Nyra flicked her ears to get rid of a lingering fly as she looked back out over the canyon in the distance. 

"Nothing like your pigs, so far, food-wise. I've dedicated very little of my time to hunting for myself. Perhaps I should hunt, though. Would you care to join me, when you're done with those?" She flicked her gaze to the pigs again in a loose gesture, eyes then leveling to Exalted's features to catch the Interim Mother's response. 

Words: 144

​​​​​
the staff team luvs u
11-06-2021, 07:35 PM
 Exalted hummed thoughtfully to herself when the other mentioned having not taken much time for hunting. Did that mean she wasn't eating as well? Now, that wouldn't do. "Of course, but," She glanced at the other woman, something akin to concern in her eyes. "Would you want to share one of those? A snack before the hunt." It was concern born of the fact that Nyra would be useless if she worked herself to the point of being too weak to properly defend their holy temple. Exalted needed everyone in tip-top shape. Them staying healthy was conducive of Sanatorium being healthy.

"We'll catch something worthy of a feast, nice fresh meat." Perhaps a careless wolf walking through the canyons or a naive fool begging for death like those pigs had been. She glanced back down at the inert carcasses, eyeing them for a moment before deciding to divulge her intentions. "The other peccary is for Mother; she is another in need of fresh meat." All the meat she could get really. She was still weak and Exalted worried for her though she would not divulge this fact to the runaway warrior. Her gaze would turn from the prey to the canyon beyond, idly watching the shifting sands in the distance.

the staff team luvs u
11-12-2021, 03:27 AM
Nyra's gaze widened slightly at the offer. 
"If I may, then, yes." She replied softly, looking to one of the peccaries at Exalted's paws. 

​​​​​​Her balefire gaze went to the sands and the canyon beyond them once more, listening to the First Daughter speak further. 
A firm nod to Exalted's statement. Yes, fresh meat would be good. 

Then, about Mother. 
Nyra glanced to Exalted with some worry. 
"Agreed. Our mother must also have nourishment." She replied, though the confusion was upon her face, she wouldn't ask questions, figuring Andraste's well-being was a need-to-know basis or something similar.
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
11-18-2021, 12:20 AM
 Exalted would nod and then would quickly go to grab one of the peccaries that she'd left down below. She initially hadn't intended on sharing but it would be good to build that loyalty back, to make sure that those below were happy and that their strength was up. So, she would share towards that end. Besides, it didn't hurt that this was a white wolf. One of those marked pure by Death, so she should not be blind to that.

Once returned she would drop the carcass between them, an ample place for them to share and take bites. Dining together, as comrades should. Nyra would agree about Mother and it was clear on her face that there was confusion. Oh, how she hungered for information.

Would she grant it?

The yearling would dip her head to rip a chunk from the pig, chewing thoughtfully and pondering what she should say. There was a pregnant pause and then she would speak. "Mother is resting... She came face-to-face with Death. Such encounters are draining to the soul and the body but she is his chosen and will prevail." Or would Death reclaim his most devout follower? Stealing her away from the world? Only time would tell but Exalted's faith was strong.

the staff team luvs u
Sanatorium
11-23-2021, 08:51 AM
A peccary was retrieved from below upon Nyra's acceptance of Exalted's offer. 
The Warmaiden licked her fangs absently as the First Daughter dropped the pig between them. 
As for the Battle Phoenix's question, Nyra hardly expected an answer, but after a long pause, Exalted gave one. 

Nyra took a moment to take a bite of the peccary, swallowing down the meat before she responded. 

"I imagine such an event would be taxing. I wonder...if I might have a similar experience someday..." She murmured, unaware that in the coming days she'd get exactly that. 
Nyra shrugged softly and took another bite of the pig, as if shaking the sentiment off, like she didn't think herself worthy of it.
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
11-24-2021, 11:36 PM
 Exalted took her own bite of the desert-pig, her fangs sliced easily through the meat and she would use a paw to steady the carcass as she pulled a strip of flesh free. Her ear would flick towards Nyra as she listened, she wasn't actively looking at the woman as her attention was partially held by the pig. However, she was certainly paying attention. Considering her words and thinking over carefully what she had learned and what she knew.

After chewing and swallowing another piece of meat, she would respond, "Perhaps... perhaps you shall be deemed worthy in Its eyes, once more." A wandering lamb, brought back to the light of their deity. She was sure that stranger things had happened.

Like rising from the dead.

The young girl gave a sly grin, this time looking at the white warmaiden. "Perhaps such an event would mark your Trial." For who could deny such a strong sign as that? Death coming to the woman Itself, to show her back to the path. To show them all that she was truly part of their fold again.

the staff team luvs u
Sanatorium
11-25-2021, 05:20 AM
The Shieldmaiden hmmed softly in a mixture of agreement and acknowledgement of what was said.
With a slight furrow of her brows, she bent and took another mouthful of peccary, hearing a crack of bone under the pressure of teeth, yet coming out with only meat; as if she tore away a difficult group of muscle and tendons. 

Nyra glanced back out at the canyon on the horizon, almost a labyrinth splayed before a palace, she thought. 

Licking the blood from her lips, the giant woman continued to gaze out at the distance, as if lost in her own mind. 

Spiraling...spiraling...

She shook her fur in a sharp movement, as if brushing away an annoying fly. 
Little did she try to show just how deeply embedded the ways of their world, Death, and demons were burrowing into her mind.
Banesteppe had done something to her, she felt. 

But she would likely never return there.
Not alone, at least...

"Maybe so, indeed...but I doubt I'll have such a thing for some time to come." The Warmaiden mused, cracking a soft exhale and a smile, as if she were the butt of her own little joke.
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
11-28-2021, 07:18 PM
 She heard the crack of the desert pig and for a moment, she lost herself in the brutality of it. She admired the way that the large woman could easily snap bone and pull free the mass of sinew and muscle. It was savage. It was beautiful. The primal child could not help herself when she listened to the raw violence that came from life and death. It sung within her, whispered of the life before and hinted at the brutal place that she once hailed. How she longed to have a taste of the life before, of the wild wilds and the snow... but she only ever received snippets and teases of it. Never solid images. How she longed for it but knew she would never have it, so she would have to satisfy her with the tastes that she received in their bloody pack.

"Who knows?" The young girl mused, following the other's gaze to the canyon again. "Death works in mysterious ways. Perhaps your time is soon coming." She didn't particularly believe it, as why reward that which had gone wayward? Then again, she couldn't claim to read the minds of the Divine. She could only hope to read the signs left to her.

the staff team luvs u
Sanatorium
12-01-2021, 05:56 PM
we can fade after your next post and start another thread set for after this, if you'd like? <3

Nyra swiveled her ear to catch Exalted's words. 
Obviously, she too didn't truly think her trial was coming to an end so soon.
Though she didn't catch Exalted's lack of belief in the sentiment, between them both, Nyra was currently the most readable. She had yet to fully reign in complete control of herself like the warrior she used to be, in a different universe. 

With a soft shrug in response, Nyra took one last mouthful of peccary before she rose to her feet. 
They were supposed to hunt after this, if she remembered right?
the staff team luvs u
12-02-2021, 01:16 AM

sounds good to me

Their conversation here was drawing to a close, and Exalted would swipe the last pieces of meat from the bones. With that, she too would stand and then remark to her companion, "I will take Mother hers and meet you back here in a moment." With that she would descend and carry the last remaining carcass away to the halls and down to the blood pools where Odium rested.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top