Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Mine,

Afternoon Drizzle/Rain
P
Paladin
Elkshire
10-15-2021, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2021, 12:00 AM by Célnes. Edited 1 time in total.)
@Mooksgm’ol

The rain pattered one, but she momentarily thought.. Of perhaps a deal to be made. Especially on earlier days when she had glanced beyond the plains to that of the Winterheart forest, there was eventually thought; of war. If war truly did happen at one point, a wave Celnes had yet to truly experience.. She knew that the handful of warriors within Elkshire would be taken with ; but then who would remain within The Elk's Crown to protect?

She remembered a few beasts that roamed within these woods, and thankfully, many were that of a friendly nature, much to the surprise. Though there was one, who mentioned to stay at some time, and the coexistence of the two predators remained at peace. Except she came to the woodlands, with a proposal in mind for such bear.

That perhaps could benefit them both.

She sought her out, low rumbling to call the mother bear out.

the staff team luvs u
10-18-2021, 02:46 AM
The nights were getting colder, and even with the layer of fat and thickening fur on their bodies, she found a den for them to shelter. It wasn't much, simply a scrap from the soft ground under a wide-boughed bush, but it sufficed, even with the rain. Sleep came easy with the lullaby of rain and bellies full of fish and fruit. She almost didn't hear the wolf's call at first.

She poked her head out from under the bush, blinking blearily at the familiar form. Grunting, she lumbered out, careful not to wake her children. “Queen Célnes,” she murmurs, her voice slow and dripping with slumber and hesitance as she moves her lips around the foreign name. She was always careful about pronouncing names right above all else.

the staff team luvs u
Siilgit speaking “English”Sm'algyax
Ts’iwaangit speaking “English”Sm'algyax

Mooksgm’ol speaking “English”“Sm'algyax”“Łingít”“X̱aad Kil”
Paladin
10-19-2021, 10:24 PM
She noted of the mother bears sleepy attitude, "My apologies if I awoken you from her slumber," she said. Faintly so remembering the moments her own children had kept her up at night, and never realized how much she missed sleep till of those moments. Now that they were older she could swiftly discipline if they were too rowdy at night, for they were of age to truly understand her words - though definitely in the phase of asking too many questions. She also knew that the hibernation season would soon to come, and with the mixture.. A tired one.

"I come to you with a proposal, that would benefit myself, and you and your cubs," though she could not seem them, her gaze drifted behind the large beast, "if you would mind listening."  Then retreated back to look upon the other, a bold smile as she felt relatively confident within her own words and security that came - even if the guards at the moment were not near her so. She comes with a mind of promises, a presence to gain security for not only herself but that of Elkshire - for especially the days she needs to leave for.. More to gain, and with that, her own guards to come around.. With not many protecting Elkshire, she slowly came to a thought.

Of the bear within the woods.

the staff team luvs u
10-20-2021, 11:35 PM
While it was true that she was tired, she didn't mind it much. There was plenty of time for sleep later and in the upcoming months. She could negate it for a moment. God knows she had throughout the summer. With a dismissive gesture, she shrugged the concern away. “It ok.” she settled her bulk down, unwilling to keep herself up and alert. She doubted that the Queen had any cause to harm her (she could have surely done so while she was sleep). Every so often she blinked rain from her eyes, though her fur was well used to repelling water. The spirit bear merely cocked her head at the wolf, indicating that she go on.
the staff team luvs u

Paladin
10-22-2021, 06:47 PM
Watching the bear, she patiently waited for that of an okay while observing so. Cream as she was, somewhat not a bear that a Déorwine would recognize. She assumed the other was that of a grizzly bear being large, and not black like those of the other kind.. Though she knew too the other was not albino, for her furs carried more then just white. It brought questions, that would remain unanswered however as the Queen came for other reasons, so further what her desires would be.

"There are times when I must leave the forest, pertaining to.. Troubles, with others packs," she indicated to war but did not directly say, for though thoughts may be, it was that of Elkshire, causing the issues.. She refrained from so, as the cons would most likely outweigh any pros that came toward this relatively peaceful bear, "and with so, I must take a few of my warriors and myself out, leaving a dent in defense." As she said so, her gaze wandered to the land before her, a faint pausing as a drizzle held on, and she felt the droplets upon her head. A minor wisp of a paw before her eyes, settling the dampness near her eyes.

"I would like to offer a treaty, where in a time if would occur, I would like your help to guard Elkshire and defend, especially if trouble.. Comes as well." When she thought of trouble, not too many came to the crown and caused so, moreso just irritated Celnes. She could think of a few individuals that she wanted to disappear, but remained oblivious to their continual existence, for she was not all-power enough to simply end them so with a thought. At least then, they never came knocking, but her mind faintly remembered a lone stranger, causing issues on Nightwalkers doors, her own allies and neighbors..

"And in return whenever you request so, we shall come to your aid when needed, and a continual mutual respect as the forests become both of our homes." Words alluded, a twist in a more devious thought... An allowance for the bear to create a permanent residence within the woodland as they too, respect her and live in but a harmony they already do with elk. She would think perhaps the other would take, for this paw extends to her own children as well. It would do well with Elkshire to ally with a bear, especially if her children were to grow.. It be more to the grasp of the home. A welcoming alliance, and though the Queen wanted to directly invite her as a member - she would not know if that would work peacefully.

This, was her challenge to try and lure a bear into a mutual alliance, for when the day Elkshire goes to claim their lands.. Her mind would be at peace, someone was still there guarding their true home.

the staff team luvs u
10-23-2021, 12:17 AM
She was never a warrior. She had no need to fight back home, being somewhat sacred to the superstitious and respected in her own right. And even here, she made sure that the encounters that might have otherwise ended in violence did not. It was not her wish to be a warrior even though she had the strength and the means by nature of being a wolf. Her muscle remained because she was a wanderer, because she dug for roots and grubs and fished, because she climbed up hills and mountains.

More than that, she would rather not involve her family in the politics of the local packs. Keep updated on them, sure, but fight in them? No. That was dangerous, and beyond who she was. She wanted to remain a neutral party as she was back home, where her revered status allowed her such liberties.

But there was the promise, implied as it was, that she would be allowed to stay indefinitely. That was intriguing and hard for the mother ignore. Cubs stayed with their mothers for two to three years, and the first was almost ending. This place was bountiful in vegetation and fish, temperate in clime and close to an ideal place to hibernate.

After a while of thinking on the woman's words, she spoke in halting english. “only if need be; i do not fight much.” she said, enunciating the words as she did. “if dis place is threatened.” she didn't want to be a tool or weapon for her host, to be manipulated to waste her energies for wars that mooksgm'ol had little interest in. at the sound of one of her daughters moving, she turned her head back to the makeshift then. when neither emerged, she turned back to the queen. “you understand me?”

the staff team luvs u

Paladin
10-23-2021, 12:28 AM
"I don't expect you to run into a fight, but only if it's a must if words fail otherwise." The Queen nodded, as it was not her purpose for the deal even if she wanted it. For though she could try there was large doubt the bear would desire to mingle and fight for wolves.. But would it not be grand if she at least gained a worthy companion, for if the time was be, a guard for the forest? Surely so it would be an ideal time, and a less of a worry for war when it came to. Ideal, in the purpose of her grand scheme of eventual conquest — if the time ever came.

She smiled, warm in thought even if heart was toxic, "A mutual benefit, where extends to your cubs, and even the day you desire to rest elsewhere ; the forest would always be welcome to you."

the staff team luvs u
10-23-2021, 04:24 PM
She sighed, resignedly. It wasn't an unreasonable request, given that she was being allowed — she could not forget that — to live here in peace with the pack. She did not know their exact numbers, but knew from the woman's bearing that they were numerous enough to kill her if need be, let alone her daughters. The Queen did not seem to want to do so, but the threat was there, silent and overbearing. She met Célnes' gaze and nodded. “If words fail.” she repeated.

The continued generosity was relieving, but Mooksgm'ol couldn't help but wonder why the Queen brought up the bargain in the first place. “You expect somet'in soon?”

the staff team luvs u

10-23-2021, 04:31 PM
"I had the misfortune to being betrayed — recently met one of them by a river a few ways away.. She was not pleased, and lies were to be brewed about myself. I wait the day they would cross that river to venture further, for they know I bared kids, and currently weakened." Though it wasn't the whole truth why she desired such a bear as an ally, but it was definitely a good suggestion on why so. In truth the Queen knew not of the others plans, much less if they truly created a kingdom beyond the forests.. Though with them holding such a grudge against her, she could imagine a day they would venture forward with a 'supposed' vengeance, even if the benevolance she granted to them was simply.. Seen as 'abuse,' as so a cousin yelled at her so.

That was one possibility, but she saw it as such a small one, for even they too, knew she allied with Nightwalkers.. Though if she were the one to stake out for war, which may as well be when her children are of age.. To be prepared was that of a bliss. She smiled gently, a nodding to and a storm brewing in thought. A greedy Queen was not the best ruler, and yet.. Here she was.

the staff team luvs u
11-07-2021, 01:11 AM
The sow couldn't say she knew much of politics. It wasn't within a bear's nature to have such intricate social groups and histories — they only gathered in loose groups when food was plentiful, like during salmon runs. But betrayal was something she understood. Mooksgm'ol merely grunted. “If you need me, I'm here.”
the staff team luvs u

11-10-2021, 09:33 PM
"Thank you," she said with the slightest dip in gratitude toward that of the greater beast. She did not like bowing her head but did not let that displeasure show — especially since it was herself offering this alliance of sorts. To gain the alliance with them was though something she would need to contain her pride and ego of, especially if the request came through. Perhaps it was the first time she uttered such thanks since coming to this land.. It felt beneath her to utter such a phrase.

"If you need anything, feel free to seek me out — the wolves of Elkshire know of you," a guarantee she would not be sought away or threatened. A safety — and any wolf that dared to try would be met with a swift punishment.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top