Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
And I couldn't be much higher

Evening Overcast
P
Vanderfell Woods
10-09-2021, 07:36 PM

^^
Any day now -
How long are women pregnant for? Oh no he had no idea the answer to that. With her size and the way she grew more and more tired, moving around less and resting more than usual - it had to be any day now. It was unusual for Ira to be any of those things other than "busy" so he took this as a sign that the day was swiftly approaching.

Today his routine had taken an unusual turn. Instead of patrolling and hunting for the majority of the day, he had brought something for Ira in particular earlier as usual - as well... this large branch that he dragged across the mountainside. The branch was mostly smooth other than one twig that stuck out awkwardly where he would be able to hold onto it.

As he approached their den, only then would he let go before peeking over into the den to see if Ira was still there. He wasn't certain if this was overkill, but the man was reaching.
^^
the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
10-09-2021, 08:50 PM
Hiero's observations had all been correct. It was difficult to do anything lately, especially effortlessly. This whole experience had been something else and frankly, there were parts that frustrated her already, but she could only see the results as worth the pain. The final days were perhaps the worst though, confined to the den while the world moved on and she was forced to sleep most of her days away if she could find the rest.

She would not be as fortunate now while she laid in solitude, her eyes closed out of purpose as opposed to need. It was easy to make out the steps that came her way, her husband's footfalls growing all too familiar along with the lingering silence that stilled cavern walls. You're back early, is all right? She had no need to open her eyes, so instead she just adjusting along her side as she waited for his response.

the staff team luvs u
10-09-2021, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2021, 09:08 PM by Hieronymous.)
^^
Ah, so she was up! Painted ears cupped forward as he smiled as she rested in their den. Ah, how strange that still felt. Would it ever not feel as blissful to think of their lives being shared from now on? Not only by marital duties but also upcoming children to bind them as a family. “Yes!” He'd chirp back, turning and disappearing off to the side away from the den to grab the branch once more and drag it closer to the entrance. 

Not quite covering it yet - there was no need to until the young would start moving around more after all. 

Feeling pretty proud of his idea, he'd show it off in the light that beamed down from above, standing above the branch he brought to show how easily he and she could walk over it, but something like whelps would most likely have a hard time doing so. “What do you think? To keep them from wandering so easily but still lets us walk in and out easily.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
10-09-2021, 10:12 PM
The sounds of scraping would draw an eye open as she looked to the fallen branch that now semi-closed the entrance. What's this? She'd snort, wiggling her way to sit up as she watched him step over the branch a few times.

Admittedly it wasn't a bad idea no matter how capable she believed them both to be, but emergencies were good to plan for, especially if something drew them both out of the den. Clever. Though I wonder how long that will keep them at bay. She had little experience with newborns and the early stages that followed. How long would it be before they grew large enough to clamber over or find the strength to move the branch together?

the staff team luvs u
10-09-2021, 11:25 PM
^^
Clever, she told him. Which was a verbal pat on the head as far as he was concerned. Even with the title of High King, Hieronymous didn't change much as he was all but a pile of mush with Ira around. His tail swayed with the compliment as he approached, over the large branch he brought to press his head against hers.

How long? Shoot, he had no idea how quickly pups grew up. “I — I don't know.” Awkwardly he admitted. “I can always add another, build a dam of sorts until they are old enough to wander.” Even if he said it rather calmly, the fact that he was ready to barricade them in for safety was key enough to show just how nervous he was about this whole thing.

“I'll admit, I'm pretty nervous for their arrival. I've never been a dad before.” Believe it or not
^^
the staff team luvs u
10-09-2021, 11:51 PM
Build a dam? Well now she just flat out laughed, They will have to leave the den eventually. If their curiosity is that strong I see no reason to shelter them in a hole. Of course, she didn't know just how many kids she would be expecting yet. She could very well eat those words if they ended up having more than they could gather together, but only time would tell what trials they would face.

Well, we will just have to wait and see I suppose. His nervous manner wasn't that surprising. They had moved rather fast after all, not that she minded. It felt better to not avoid the inevitable, especially with so many packs forming. They would need heirs to their name not just for Vanderfell but to secure their growing relations with their neighbors. So many new starts meant tension would rise somewhere and it was only time until trouble knocked down their own door.

Surprisingly, or maybe not that surprisingly, Ira was less concerned with being a mother and more so with the additional struggles that would come with children in the pack. She might not show it often but she was more than excited to have children of her own given she had always had a soft spot for pups.

the staff team luvs u
10-10-2021, 12:02 AM
^^
As she laughed he didn't take it personally. Instead, he smiled with wide eyes from under mismatching brows, childlike almost as he gazed at her in adoration and almost as if seeking guidance from his wife through something she seemed to have more confidence in than he did. “Hmmm... We'll talk about it when the time comes.” He laughed as well, absolutely joking in keeping them prisoner within the den but definitely showing his more protective side. 

“Have you been thinking of names?” During this downtime before the inevitable, he wanted to spend some more one-on-one time with his wife before she would be whisked away into motherhood and he into fatherhood. Hieronymous was already ready to continue what he was doing now, double patrols, bring back food and anything else Ira wanted to make herself more comfortable. It would be like this for a while and he was ready for it.

Soon enough they would have to teach their young the rounds as well... that thought brought a smile to his face.
^^
the staff team luvs u
10-11-2021, 09:07 AM
Even should his protective nature be overbearing, at least he was a king who cared and a father who would look out for his children. Truly, what more could she ask for than that? There would be much to discuss when it came to parenting, but those conversations would have to wait until their children were here where they could assess their wants and needs as well as tackle the problems as they arose. It would be impossible to prepare for it all now and a waste of effort should they be blindsided.

As for names though, well, that was something they would have to prepare now. The roan woman hummed with a slight tilt of her head in thought. The question was one she had been prepared for as it was one of the few things she could do from her den, though much depended on the genders and if their names would match their looks. I've pondered upon a few. Rea is a strong name for a girl. I've grown quite fond of it. Renn as well though it would suit either gender.

the staff team luvs u
10-16-2021, 04:48 PM
^^
If Ira would allow, he would move from being against her head to gently placing his nose against the bump on her sides. Pressing himself lightly against where the future generation waited to be greeted someday soon, feeling only a little movement against his nose which would make his tail wag happily.

“Rea and Renn.” Somewhere in here there was one of each as if repeating their names would already call to them from within. Frankly, he wasn't picky when it came to names. As simple of a man as it came, just the idea of being a dad any day now was a blessing of itself. He could have no say on their names and be just as happy as ever.

A pang of worry took over for a moment, still wondering if any would also be afflicted with his illness. If his genetics would strip one of his children of any and all feelings and force a life onto them as it was onto him. “I'm worried one will be like me.” He'd say softly, almost defeated by the thought. He had already spoken to @Quicksilver about it, and though for a moment his anxieties on the matter were calmed - as the day approached he would only get more anxious.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Medic
10-17-2021, 06:16 AM
therapist tagging

Of course by now his touch had been accepted. They had already done more than a simple brush of their pelts and he was to father her children. Hiero moved to press his ear to her side and as he did so she shuffled back to her side, her hindlegs splaying out to her side as she tried to make herself comfortable once more.

He echoed the names almost as if it had already been decided, though offered no options of his own. She wondered had he thought of any or had he been waiting to see what selection she might bring? And you? There is little time left to decide, though we have no way of knowing just how many there will be. She imagined it would be on the larger side from how she had ballooned, but she was in uncharted waters now. Her best guess was to attempt counting the locations of kicks.

Her husband would only continue, his voice growing softer as he spoke of his affliction. The roan woman thought for a moment in silence. Of course, she would like her children to be normal, a disability was a hindrance even if their challenges could be overcome. It may complicate her plans should they take after him. Admittedly, it was easy to forget since Hiero seemed to have a hold on his weakness. How would her children fair though under such disadvantages?

She hated the thought of sending one for an alliance only for Vanderfell to be perceived as weak due to their genetics...surely if his traits came through they would just have to settle for remaining here where it was safe. The one comfort in it all was that she would not have to deal with that learning curve alone. Then you will raise them well to survive. After all, he had come this far and at a glance, he seemed no different than the average wolf. Aside from his patterning of course.

We both will.

the staff team luvs u
10-22-2021, 03:20 PM
^^
“To be honest, I haven't. Too occupied worrying for theirs and your comfort, as well as health.” He said sheepishly. While he could have been looking forward to the day of their birth and naming the new additions to their family. “I like Rea and Renn... would be fun to have an alliteration litter.” But how many matching names could they come up with without any of them sounding silly and out of place, or forced? “Ries or something...” Already the gears were turning a bit.

Ira, as level-headed as ever would take a moment to think before speaking. In her silence, he found peace, knowing she was carefully picking her words as opposed to answering on a whim. Delicately deciding on how she feels upon the matter, perhaps if she regretted marrying him after all being reminded of the possibility of disabled children.

Though after effort and luck it had worked out for Hieronymous. Managing to beat all the odds and survive despite his affliction to reach adulthood, to the point where he was now a husband and father, something that was once thought to be an impossibility. Now the torch was onto him to do the same for any who might be born like him - and that burden wouldn't be so heavy to shoulder on his own as Ira decided to share this load.

Deciding to slide down next to her, he'd give a heavy sigh as though relieving himself of all that bundled-up stress. “Yes, together.” Even if he didn't feel tired, a part of him knew how nice it was to just rest for a moment with Ira by his side, the little heartbeats in her just waiting to greet the sun in a few more days.
^^
the staff team luvs u
10-23-2021, 07:30 AM
For a moment she pondered his suggestion, and while it might fit, if there were more than a couple then it might seem a bit ridiculous. Then came the matter of her reasoning for those names. The meanings behind them reminded her much of the naming back home, though simplified of course for wolves of these lands did not have names the length of titles. Ries though...I like that...

Perhaps she would dwell longer on it. Fortunately, they still had some time left. Hiero would settle down at her side, something that surprised her given the hour of day. It was still early in his schedule to call it a night, but she would not complain about his presence. She'd lean into him, and rather he stayed or not she would eventually fade into a light slumber.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top