Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I still believe in heroes

Afternoon
AW
Shiroshika
10-08-2021, 05:00 AM
^^
to be set after this thread

He stood with the shake of his head and headed off into the other direction. That direction was north, towards the big ol’ mountain. What was over there, or beyond the mountain, Won hadn’t known, and that excited him. Curiosity killed the cat, hadn't it? Won liked to explore, and what was better than to explore a mysterious mountain? So he kept walking.

...and walking until he hit the borders of a pack. Oh, so a pack claimed the mountain, huh? Why didn’t that surprise him? His ears flickered and Won gave a quick look around. Was this an aggressive pack, or could he get away with trespassing?

His eyes narrowed. He didn’t really want to deal with another asshole, or even a pack of them. And he supposed that the best way to do that was to be respectful. So he threw his nose to the sky and howled.

Was anyone home to answer the door? He sure hoped so.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
10-09-2021, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2021, 10:22 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
It was the early afternoon when the call rang out, though it passed the princess' ears easily. Her mother was usually the one to answer border calls, when she wasn't off wherever at least, though she also usually called to let their visitors know she was on her way. Some time had passed while she lounged in the shade of a tree until the lingering silence hit her like a brick. That...wasn't right. Her mother had been there this morning though?

Regardless, it seemed they had a call unanswered, so with a sigh, she would move to her feet before throwing up a howl of her own while she raced down the mountainside. It wasn't the tasks that bothered her, it was the sporadic changes with no warning or way to know just what exactly was going on. Was it so much to ask for her mother to fill her in before she ran off? Of course, she wasn't aware that this time the trip was less of a trip and more of a sudden accident, but let her brood on that for now.

Hotaru arrived later than she would have liked, though that was on her for waiting on her mother to respond first. She panted as she neared the borders, her gaze moving to the easily discernible shape that sat at their borders. Some man it seemed with furs as rich as dried blood only to be interrupted by the whites and cream along his face and legs. Already she could feel the bitter taste weigh her tongue, 謝罪いたします

I hope the wait was not a bother. You have reached Shiroshika, how may I help you? Plenty of these interactions had passed her by now to bite back the twisting of her gut though it never truly went away. At least now she had somewhat of a script to go by instead of standing like a studdering mess making a fool of not just herself but the entire pack she now represented.

the staff team luvs u
10-09-2021, 09:58 PM
^^Won was, surprisingly, an understanding and patient man. He did not seem bothered at all by the wait and understood that pack officials were usually busy doing their own thing. So when that beautiful howl reached his ears, Won sat back and waited a little bit longer. He knew that the invitation into one’s home was the difference between life and death, and while Won didn’t really know who he was, or where he was - he certainly didn’t wish to die.

The little lady that came to greet him was the most beautiful maiden that Won had ever laid eyes on and for a moment, he couldn’t remember why he’d come. Instead, he just stared until the silence around them settled and Won seemed to be broken out of some sort of trace. My, my, wasn’t this one just magical?

She spoke a language that he had never learned and never spoken, yet understood the words as if they were plain english. He blinked back mild shock and confusion as he continued to stare at her. What language was that, even? Why did he understand it?

“I did not mind the wait.” Heck, Won didn’t mind waiting for her. He paused for a moment to glance up at the mountain behind him. So, this was Shiroshika. Even the name sounded magical. “Shiroshika owns the entire mountain? How fascinating! I am Won. I’m… new. I found myself here recently, and was um, curious about exploring new places, especially this mysterious mountain, but did not want to intrude on pack grounds without permission.”

While it was honest, Won wondered what he could have said to interest her. “Do I have your approval to explore Shiroshika? Perhaps you could join me, and tell me a bit more about Shiroshika, to see if it is something that I'm looking for?” Not that he knew what he was looking for.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
10-09-2021, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2021, 10:22 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Though her native tongue had slipped out she hadn't really expected for the other to understand, so when he responded to her apology her ears would perk. For a moment he seemed to just stare, though she was unsure if she had imagined it or if she really stood in silence uncomfortably. He would break his trance though and she listened to his request carefully taking a moment to make sure she had heard him correctly.

He wanted permission to trespass? Eeeoooo boy... The princess bit her lips as she glanced back to the mountain peaks. This one felt out of her realm to accept, but with her mother nowhere nearby it seemed it would be on her to make the decision. Reiko had always been so generous to strangers no matter who they were, but letting a stranger wander their territory didn't seem like a good idea. Granted...wasn't that what they did when any newcomer joined?

Ah...well what exactly are you looking for? I don't believe it would be...appropriate to grant such a request when I hardly know you. Perhaps one of our samurai may accompany you once I know more? If you're looking to learn about our pack then I can happily answer what questions you might have.

the staff team luvs u
10-11-2021, 01:20 AM
^^His stomach twisted and turned and almost immediately, the feeling of a deep, deep regret almost overwhelmed him. Ah, yes, he should have just broken their scent markers and went on to explore instead. He realized that now.

Won’s ears lowered and the gentlemen shook his head. He found it odd that she stated that she hardly knew him, yet did not offer to get to know him. “Or, better yet, why don’t you join me and get to know me, since that seems to be the problem here? I’ll go first. My name is Won. I don't like handouts, so I'd rather learn things as I go, y'know? I’m not quite from around here, as of.. three days ago? Maybe four. Who might you be? What is your… favorite flower? Season? Weather?” Won blinked, tilting his head, wondering what method of rejection he was about to receive.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
10-11-2021, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2021, 10:22 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
The man's ears turned leaving him with an almost pitiful expression. Maybe he was just an excited explorer, but she was a princess without a samurai to ensure her safety should he corner them while they were...alone. Even though they would be within pack lands there was still so much time that could pass before someone could come to her aid.

Hesitation gripped her as she averted her gaze, ears tipping back while she ran through a list of who she might be able to call. I'm afraid I must still refuse without the watch of a samurai. It would be irresponsible of me while my mother is attending...other business, but I may be able to show you around the outskirts of our territory if I call for one. Perhaps he would still be unsatisfied with her answer, but she just didn't feel right showing the heart of her home to someone so soon.

I apologize for not saying so sooner. I am Princess Hotaru Izuka, heir to Shiroshika. I... find you strange for your bombardment of questions. She inwardly sighed as she sucked it up if only to maintain a positive relation, like lilies and carnations. I suppose fall or spring would be my favorite season and I prefer the sky to be clear at night. Anything to make viewing the stars more enjoyable.

You still have not said what draws you to my home? Why do you wish to explore here? Are you in search of a home?

the staff team luvs u
10-12-2021, 03:02 AM
^^Ah, so this was not the leader of the pack, but the princess and heir of the kingdom. Equally as important, yet she did not feel comfortable or safe with him? As if Won was foolish to try something, or anything at all, aside from simple flattery?

Nonetheless, Won took several steps back. There was nothing that he could say that would make her feel more comfortable within his company - but perhaps… perhaps he could show her. So, after bowing to her - she was royalty after all - he laid down in the cold snow and placed his head on his paws.

He did not want to make her feel any more uncomfortable, and hoped that this made her feel more at ease. He gave a gentle smile and a few wags of his tail. Ah, but at least she had answered his questions about her favorite things. Perhaps there was hope yet!

He glanced to the sky at the mention of it with the nod of his head. Her questions about her home caused him to lick his lips. “First, let me say that it is an honor to meet with you, Princess Hotaru Izuka. I am indeed searching for a home, and friends! I just… er, arrived here, further south, in a tiny little forest..” and with some bad company, but he didn’t say that - as to not give her the wrong idea.

“I also really like to explore, and I love the mountains.” He paused to inhale deeply and longingly, glancing up at the mountain that was Shiroshika. “I’m looking for someplace with a great view, and beautiful land to call my home. I want to be proud of the place, - and the people! - that I live with, y’know? You may call these warriors of yours, if you wish of it, m’lady, but I do not want to give them the wrong impression and have them think that their princess and heir to the throne is in trouble. I’m enjoying the conversation with you, but if you are not, I can leave and come back another day when your Queen is available.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
10-16-2021, 05:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2021, 10:23 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Without another word he stepped back, his head lowering before he laid down all together looking up at her from his paws. For a moment she was speechless, staring with her mouth agape before she managed to blink herself back into her body. I— that's quite alright— there's no need for...all of that. So smooth, very graceful. The pale girl could feel her cheeks burn from her momentary confusion, though she tried to ignore it and clear her mind. Rarely did she get more than a bow let alone full-blown submission, and from a man no less!

I...I see. Then I suppose the situation may have changed... She quietly drew a breath as her gaze too diverted to the high peaks of her home. My mother is very generous. She seeks to make this place a home to any so long as her kindness is not abused. Not every wolf who joins us stays, but we allow them to go freely. She named the mountain to be a rest stop of sorts. How long that rest is...I suppose depends on you. Finally she would turn back to him.

Hotaru was still not fond of traveling with a stranger, let alone one who was a man, but now she at least knew more about him. His morals seemed to align, even if he did not stay it was what her mother would want. If you are interested in staying, even if only for a week, then I suppose it would be alright to let you explore. If you enjoy pretty views then you may want to go to the cherry blossom grove. It faces east towards another small mountain range and the meadow that spans between.

the staff team luvs u
10-16-2021, 09:37 PM
^^Well, well, well - if the princess wasn’t the cutest little thing he’d ever seen. The way she became flustered as he submitted to her, as though she had unexpected it. He wondered at that moment, what else he could do to fluster her, or to make her feel more powerful.

He stayed right where he was, glancing up at her as though he were an innocent boy. And perhaps, at this moment, he was. He was pleased to hear that the situation changed, although it felt exactly the same. Had it been the submission or information she’d learned about things that he wanted to see?

Ah, so she would let him view the mysterious mountain and this place called the cherry blossom grove, and without a samurai. Oh, yes, how lovely. “Are you certain it’s alright? I don't mind waiting until you're more comfortable. ” Won asked softly, seemingly in no rush; he was already looking at a pretty view, and certainly did not want to rush it. He'd rather to get to know her, than to see other pretty views alone. 

“I wouldn't mind staying for a bit. I’d like to get to know the area and the people a little more, yourself included, if that’s alright.” Why did he get the feeling that the princess didn’t have much fun in her life. “How many samuaris does Shiroshika have, and what does it take to become one?” Did he have to best someone in battle?
^^
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
10-23-2021, 11:29 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 11:30 PM by Hotaru.)
Despite her mild plea he seemed to have no interest in removing himself from the ground so...she would just have to get used to others' submission it seemed. It is just the way of our pack. So long as you do not betray us, there is no reason not to. Sometimes a lending paw is needed to get back on one's feet. Even if he wasn't exactly in dire need, waking up here was confusing. If he needed the time to get a lay of the land then decide to move on then so be it.

You are welcome to join no matter the length of your stay. I don't exactly leave so I'm never hard to find. At least she thought so, then again she hadn't met Cirilla until...very recently. Ah, well, we don't have too many currently. We actually lost one recently. They're just capable individuals my family trusts. Then they are knighted essentially and given a person of interest to protect.

the staff team luvs u
11-05-2021, 08:36 PM
^^How did one even betray a pack, Won wondered, though he knew he couldn’t ask without seeming like he had ill intentions. He wanted to get to know the pretty princess, and that was all, really; if she provided means to her home, and easier access to herself, by recruiting him, then Won would take the invitation and make himself useful. It wouldn’t hurt to get to know the rest of her pack, right?

Capable individuals that were knighted to protect someone of interest? That sounded really interesting, and for a moment he wondered what they might consider to be capable, or what they might consider to be someone of interest. Just the royals, or others, too? Hotaru had come alone, without protection, so was she somehow not a person of interest, despite being the princess? “I would love to join for any length of time that you would allow.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
11-08-2021, 10:02 PM
For better or for worse, it seemed Won was interested in staying after all, or at least for a while. She had to admit he seemed...harmless, not that he was not capable of harming someone, his size alone could aid towards that, but she would quickly shove that thought out of her head. It would do no good to focus on possibilities like they were the inevitable, and frankly, it wasn't really fair to him.

A lingering distrust might sit at the back of her mind, but he hadn't done anything thus far to rightfully earn that distrust. In that case, you may see the mountain. If you wish to explore now I will not stop you, but I will not be joining you now. I must inform our guards and my mother of your arrival so they know you are with us. Surely they would pick up her scent from their proximity, even if it was faint, but hearing it straight from her would do better than someone they would see as a stranger or even a trespasser. 

If you require assistance, you are welcome to call for anyone to come to your aid, though it may be smart to remain at the outer edges of the claim until you smell more like us. No one here was really a bite before questioning type of wolf, but should this be the one time they acted she would hate for it to be her own fault for not warning either side should the possibility arise. Um...I'll...see you around?

the staff team luvs u
11-08-2021, 10:35 PM
^^And suddenly, just like that, Won was a member of the mountain club! It felt exactly no different, but it was better than being alone, and now he had a nice, lovely princess friend! He wagged his tail, lifting his head up from his paws as he slowly moved to stand, stretching out his long legs. “I understand.” Won would say with the shake of his coat as he looked around for a moment.

And then she asked if she’d seen him around and he smiled at her. He would actually love that. He tilted his head for a moment as he became deep in thought. “Could I come with you, Hotaru? T-to meet the queen and the guards? I’d like to get a jump start on my training - after I explore, of course - and what better way to meet the guards themselves, ya? Or.. no? Do you not think that’s a good idea?” He paused, looking at her with arched brows.

What did she think?
^^
the staff team luvs u
11-09-2021, 06:55 AM
Truthfully she had hoped to meet with her mother in private as her message had more to do with just Won's acceptance, though she couldn't be certain that she even could lead him to her mother right now. She was usually on top of border calls unless she wasn't home, and though she hadn't said she was leaving, that doesn't mean she hadn't snuck off already believing it would only be for a short while. It had happened time and time before, but that would be an issue for later. Under different circumstances I would not have seen that as a problem, though if I am to be honest, you are likely better off on your own. My mother is not one to miss a call, and she has not come to yours. That means she's either busy or off somewhere else...Tiberius is one of our samurai though. You can usually find him along the borders if you wish to meet one now.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top