Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Visions I vandalize,

Discovery
03-03-2021, 05:33 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2021, 02:26 AM by Aso. Edited 3 times in total.)
There has been a few visitors that came within the forest, and now one came to stay temporary. Ears flickering to the sound of the woodpeckers tapping at the tree, and the caws of the birds singing within the morning. The hawks soaring through the sky, heading toward the mountain that was near. Occasionally could she hear footsteps that traced to the river, but then she could no longer find. A fox, perhaps? A wisp of a tail was seen once before, yet disappeared beyond the forest walls, and Célnes, did not continue.

A part of her was perhaps afraid of being truly alone. As far as she remember, the young Déorwine has always had her brother, and for the first time she was at a loss. The sanctuary that of the forest home to the elk was the only comfort she currently held. Once seeing the monarch, did she have true hope that the High Elk had blessed this realm, and knew, the place she awoken up, as to be the new home. However there was no wolves to call to her name, and thus did Célnes refrain from naming. One wolf could not make a kingdom, and she, was no longer the King of Kingslend.

Slowly did the woman skulk through the forest, her body low to the ground, following downwind to the smell of the herd. In the distance could she hear them graze, and soon her vision spotted them all. Deep within the forest, there they were.

+2 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
03-08-2021, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2021, 02:27 AM by Aso. Edited 3 times in total.)
Edit - Oops, I just realized this wasn't actually marked AW! If you had other plans for this thread feel free to just ignore Aplo. :)

The further Aplomado travelled, the more distinctly her environment struck her as not-home, and upon exiting one forest she simply found herself in the depths of another. The humidity hung heavy on her pelt and even the air pressure felt different - the air was far too rich and smelled of peat and decay. She missed the smoky musk of desert scrub and mesquite, and being able to see more than a few dozen yards ahead of her. The towering trees that may have been a cathedral to her woodland contemporaries to her felt more like the looming bars of a prison. The exotic diversity of plants and potential medicinal ingredients was intriguing, certainly, but it was also overwhelming.

Exasperated, she clambered up the sides of a massive redwood stump and plopped herself upon its rotten core, spindly forelegs draped over the mossy edges. A herd of elk foraged quietly in the distance, and from her boosted height she watched them with reluctant interest. They were too large in bulk and numbers to be of any real use to her as food, and it would be foolhardy to even attempt a hunt in such unfamiliar surroundings. But they were rather impressive to watch nonetheless.

+2 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
03-15-2021, 04:41 PM
i always forget to mark it gewiuhsjkn its open!

A colorful raven had entered the forest, and if Vengeance didn't get to them first, Célnes was behind so. Especially, as the herd stood so closely. It was an impressive amount of elk that laid in this forest, and there was no smaller number. She did not see too many predators within the forest, and now with the wolves entering, she could tell they were on high alert. Though she made no attempt to hunt them, even the one's without horns, and simply scavenged for the rabbits and birds. She let them fester through the variety of trees, simply watching in the distance as the graze through the foliage within the forest.

"It seems we have a visitor," a smile to the wolf, and an orange eye giving a gloss over. They held white tones, but not enough to consider completely unholy, but it was a dear shame they were mostly all black. Though with salvation through the colors on their legs, the other may just be saved through the High Elk's blessing. Though Célnes said nothing about it, "be careful. This forest is claimed."

Though scent so little, not many would be able to even be able to. Her attempt at a claim was bit a loss cause at the moment, for only one to her name, and that was only herself. But through an alliance, there was Vengeance.

the staff team luvs u
03-17-2021, 01:21 AM
A she-wolf of chocolate brown tones and regal stature materialized and drew Aplomado from her absentminded musings, informing her that she was sitting on claimed lands. Well, shit. Was her sense of smell really getting that bad? Maybe spending so much time with her nose buried in fragrant herbs and flowers was finally getting the better of her. That or this was a fresh claim indeed and their numbers were not yet great enough to saturate their borders.

She swivelled her ears to the side non-threateningly, suddenly feeling a bit awkward from her elevated perch with this impossibly leggy and elegant beast before her. Granted, the stranger had been friendly enough and hardly seemed on the verge of ripping out Aplomado's throat, so that was a plus.

“My apologies - I meant no harm to your lands or your herd,” she mused, gesturing subtly to the distant elk. Truthfully, Aplomado wanted to be out of there as soon as possible, but suspected that the stranger might not be so cordial if her forest was insulted. “Are there many other wolves here?”
the staff team luvs u
03-22-2021, 09:34 PM
"There are a few." The amount of wolves in this forest were less then five, though Célnes knew better then to openly mention it to an outsider. The female wolf did not display aggressive tendencies like Vengeance, though like herself, the inside may be more wicked then what is shown. Generally untrusting, especially to none-familial wolves, she remained proper cordial as a Queen she wanted to be. The name of King floated around, but the customs she knew were largely different then the customs here- the crown was constantly scrutinized with her named King, and in the end, decided upon Queen.

They didn't look prone to hunting the elk either, "are you a traveler?"

the staff team luvs u
03-26-2021, 03:20 PM
The regal stranger's reply was somewhat cryptic, but Aplomado did not push the subject. It really mattered little to her how many wolves occupied this particular forest, though it did give her some hope that there were quite a few around, perhaps more as confused as misplaced as she was. Information was information, and she would file it away to memory even if it posed no immediate benefit to her. If her search for home did prove fruitless in the end, at least she would have a better understanding of this new land she had found herself in and the wolves that inhabited it.

“Yes, though unexpectedly so, as it were,” she replied, somewhat at a loss in terms of explaining it without sounding like she had completely lost her marbles. “I woke up very far from home and am trying to find somewhere more familiar. I have never seen such a lush forest before.”
the staff team luvs u
03-30-2021, 04:04 PM
In any other moment, she wouldn't believe the man.. However, the Deorwine woman had also had a similar moment, "How unfortunate." Similarly, she had woke up in this forest without a wolf to her name, and only memories holding her together. If it were not for that, Célnes would think she was dead. Though she was much alive as he was, but both lost within the forest. It was fortunate she had found this place first however, and was quick to try and stake a claim.

"What are your plans now?" Words said not out loud, but she did wonder if he would stay or..

the staff team luvs u
04-01-2021, 02:41 AM
"How unfortunate." Aplomado rolled her shoulder in a slight shrug. It was, but there wasn't a whole lot she could do about it except perhaps ask around to she if she could put any pieces together. So far she had managed to collect some information, but nothing that brought her any closer to getting back home. And yet, as each day passed her urgency faded slightly, and even some of the names of her packmates were beginning to slip away. At first Aplomado had simply written it off as stress, but it was hard not to wonder if there was something deeper involved.

“I think I will keep moving for a little while longer,” she said, unknowingly answering the other's unspoken question. “So if I do manage to get back home, I'll have some new stories and maybe even some new kinds of plants to try out and show my mentor.” That would certainly score her some brownie points with the elders.
the staff team luvs u
04-06-2021, 10:14 PM
"Perhaps can tell them of the deer-worshippers of the forest." It was unfortunate to leave for Célnes, as the thought to of recruiting had occurred, but she wouldn't beg for their loyalty. Though what would be done is to share of names of their forest, maybe others will gather on another day for a pledge to herself, and toward the High Elk herself. Her religious self grow stronger as days go by, but her thirst for power was riding alongside it so.

"You are welcome to stay for the day-" but do not overstay the welcome, words that would not be need to say out loud.

the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 04:55 PM
last post for me, thanks for the thread! <3

Yes, Aplomado would be hard-pressed not to tell others about the wolves who lived here, and their strange prey-worshipping ways. “Thank you for your hospitality,” she said with a smile, rising to her feet and clambering down the side of the great stump. Aplomado would surely take the brown wolf up on her offer, if only to see what sort of medicinal plants might grow in the strange forest and perhaps even take a few samples for her own. “I will let others know of your followers and claim,” she confirmed, excusing herself with a respectfully bowed head. Aplomado was careful to give the elk a wide berth as she left the redwood tree behind her, and only upon further reflection did she realize that they had not exchanged names. No matter — surely context alone would be enough to identify her in the future.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top