Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
You committed, I'm your crime,

Morning Drizzle/Rain
AW
Elkshire
08-29-2021, 05:25 PM
She was tired. There was a lot to think about, a lot to do - to divide and conquer that there was. She couldn't deny the betrayal affected her mentally, for the Queen always felt now tired. Needing to replace what was lost, and gain new members once more.. To fill the Bearbucks, the only true sanctuary she held was her continued alliance with Nightwalkers, for if something went wrong, Célnes could lean upon them just a bit - even if it wasn't ideal to do.

Shakey as it was, it was still her Kingdom, and her children were growing. They made noises that could only be counted as baby talk, but their whining and moaning were developing slowly into unfunctional sentences, and likewise, they were slowly roaming outside. She was thankful to have individuals to be able to watch them while she roamed -

and today was but another one of those days. Célnes pushed her out all that had been done, just to enjoy an morning stroll of a bit of rain falling upon her pelt.

the staff team luvs u
08-29-2021, 09:38 PM
^^
There was a darkness for what felt like it could stretch for eons and eons. There, too, was the taste of ash, and the smell of sweat. For a long, long time, that’s all that there had been. Until the whooshing of wind, and the smell of fresh rain stirred the beast from his slumber. He blinked awake with a groan, body slowly uncurling to stretch out as the muscular giant rolled over and stood for the very first time on canine legs.

He did not have wings. He did not have a long, slender tail that whipped behind him like a massive vine. Instead his tail was thick and short, like that of a tree trunk and colored like in an array of stones, steels, and silvers. Oh, how ironic that was, wasn’t it? Whatever event that had brought the gargouille back had a sick, twisted sense of humor. One that, strangely enough, Nikitas could admire.

He was checking himself out and the new additions to his body. Or rather, the strange changes that he was now stuck with. There was fur on top of flesh; rounded, meaty paws instead of sharp and deadly talons; his plumage was short and thick, but not as muscular as his original tail had been. The most important, and most depressing factor, was that his wings were gone. Though despite downgrading to this new creature of pure muscle, somehow, it felt like an improvement.

He lifted a paw to inspect the meaty-ness to his toes. He still had talons, though they were not nearly as long or as powerful looking as before. Still, Nikitas was sure that they could do their thing. And to prove just that, Nikitas walked up to the nearest tree and would make his first attempt at climbing. Neverminded that there were other creatures and things in the forest witnessing this very odd occurrence.
^^
the staff team luvs u
08-30-2021, 07:35 PM
How the other vaguely reminded her of the boogeyman, yet was not as sickening in that sense. Perhaps he moreso like shadow, a dark knight as his dark fur glistened with the lightest tints of brown ; a creamy town coating his black. Célnes already knew he was a plain walker, someone who appeared from no where, a smell that wasn't there before, but then arrived from all - and there he was. Though perhaps, not as used to this new land as others were, as she watched from the forest shadows as the man stretched and tried to climb a tree.

Wolves were not as agile as felines though, and their climbing ability severely lacked. She was rather curious if he could find a way too, as some tried to force their way up to branches, and leap through. Such cursed bodies though, inferior to cats in that way, yet strength often could be rivaled with the numbers that wolves always held, "You seem lost.. Though you are currently within Elkshire's claim."

A peaceful stroll turning into a fated meeting, she held a faint smile.

the staff team luvs u
08-30-2021, 11:20 PM
^^
Nikitas was deeply, deeply, disappointed to learn that, in this new furry body, he could not scale the tree by simply putting his paws on it and walking up, like he had with the buildings of New York. Oh, how his talons could pierce through stone and - and..

You seem lost. Though are currently within Elkshire’s claim.

Elkshire.

Nikitas was recalling that yes; that life was over. Had it been because he’d finally been smashed to bits or had there been another outcome for him? An ear flickered, as he slowly turned to face the beast that spoke to him. And there, he would find another canine, of wines and chocolates, and my my, didn’t she just look delicious? He tilted his head with a hunger that he didn’t know that he had, brows arching with a nod of his head.

He understood claims. He understood territories. He, too, must be a wolf for her to approach him in such a manner, and better, for him to understand her speech without much effort. “I don’t know how I got here,” an accent, dipped in greeks, rolled off his tongue as he continued to look her over. It had not been a question, though, had it? She did not need to question him if he were lost, because she had already known. “You must get πολύ of lost kinfolk to this Elkshire. Strange name for a town. Are there shires of elk involved?”

Not that Nikitas knew what an Elk was! He had come from a time before, and yet, not. He’d glanced around and up at the skies, as a flock of birds cawed and flew overhead, and he sighed. Oh, how he missed the feeling of flight. “Though, if I am honest, I am more confused as I am lost. I know I am in a forest, so I must not be too terribly lost. I know I am canine, but I was not canine yesterday.”

No, not canine, but rather, a creature of the night.
^^
the staff team luvs u
08-31-2021, 07:27 PM
The man was intriguing, but an unsettling gaze came upon her. Though a smile continued with a warmth, she could help but be wary at the back of her mind. A good distance from each other, as the man looked at Célnes with a primal gaze of not desire, or even a wonder, but rather, a hunger. Célnes has never personally met anyone who feasts upon another wolf, she did not know the signs, the gaze of it.. She felt the need to be careful.

"I to call them Plain Walkers, those who appear, from nowhere, I suppose that would include you as well." He understood his situation well, that he was but a non-native to the land, a walker of the stars itself - someone who came from nowhere, but previously somewhere in the world they live in. Her tail flickered lightly, a paw grazing across her itchy ear as a gaze continued to focus upon him, unbreaking in sight. It almost felt like if she took a moment away that he would simply vanish, or be standing right in front of her. It felt off.

He coined terms she did not know, it reminded her of other wolves though who spoke similar names, "We are a pack who walk alongside the elk and deer themselves, hunting them is forbidden," her ears flickered, hearing the occasional rustling of a bush, and assumption perhaps it was one of the wandering elk. There was a few that kept to the Queen's side, the Divine who spoke, but then there was the normal kind, who in general continued to be wary of wolves, but settled far easier to the ones that were in Elkshire. At least, none would be truly attacked unless they provoked such a kingly beast, but it was often still hard to lay among them. Unless speech was in between, it seemed true harmony would not be achieved. A curiosity, to the day a divine herd would be found in this forest, "I am part of that pack."

"Once were and now not?" she hummed with a muse, it wasn't the first to hear so, but definitely the first to hear they felt strange within the body that she saw. Some wolves had claimed to be Gods, but the thought never came that they were Godly bodies in another form, that not of wolf. Her head tilted just a bit, raised as she questioned, "what were you?"

the staff team luvs u
08-31-2021, 09:39 PM
^^
Nikitas continued to eye her, though he would make no advances towards her, not unless she continued to arouse him. He was still taking in the sights, and the sounds, of this forest. It felt like, just yesterday, he was perched upon his post on the skyscraper, with the rest of his clan. And now he was here, in a wooded forest, speaking to a lovely lady about Elkshire, amongst other things.

A lovely lady who did not even bat at the idea that Nikitas, the wolf who stood before her, might not have been a wolf before. No, in fact, she went on about Plain Walkers; creatures who appeared out of nowhere. Is that what happened, then? Did Nikitas somehow just.. appear as if teleported? “Plain Walker. What an interesting phrase.” Nikitas grumbled, nodding his head as if he understood, though truly, he did not. “You, then? You were once a Plain Walker?” And then, if she answered yes, he would follow with: “Were you canine previously? Or something.. else?”

Elkshire was not a town. It was a pack. Was that the canine term for clan? It sounded similar, and the very wording made him think of his clan. He tore his eyes from her, glancing into the distance as he narrowed his eyes - Nikitas was respectful enough not to look at her while he did. “Elkshire, is not a town, but a pack, focused on the… honoring of or friendship of… deer and elk?” Nikitas repeated slowly, and for confirmation, as he slowly glanced back over at her. “You say this with importance, though why? What is this.. Elk and deer you speak of, m’lady? And why - if a Plain Walker such as myself is allowed to ask - is your clan named after then, and why is hunting them forbidden?”

Were all wolves, and their clans, such complex creatures? Surely not? His eyes lingered about the forest, though never for long, as he quite enjoyed the look of her. He enjoyed the way her head tilted a bit when she posed the question. Would the lady be able to comprehend something as sinister and macabre as a creature of the night? He did not wish to frighten her, nor did he wish to reveal the truths for her to laugh at him. Yet, something stirred within him that seemed disgusted with the idea of telling her anything that wasn’t the truth.

“I was a Gargoyle. I had webbed wings , and a longer, slender tail that could knock down my enemies. And talons that were large and fierce enough to allow me to scale skyscrapers, and buildings. I will miss the feeling of flight now that I am wingless and pathetic.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
08-31-2021, 10:33 PM
"As have most of us have, we all simply appeared.. Some through death itself, and others by coincidence. Though most, were always a wolf." Though she didn't directly say about her own experience, Célnes was one of them as well. She remembered being stabbed by the white elk himself, and drowning in blood alongside her brother - though he, did not arrive beside herself. Now as time goes on, his face was blacked out, his smell, his voice ; everything including the name of her brother, had seemingly just disappeared. Perhaps it but an effect this land gave, and in the end, she simply let it go. The memories were a painful subject, to lose someone you loved and trusted.. She thought it was for the best.

He held quite a few questions, she couldn't help but remember Calligula who did the same. Though, he held a more elegance to his tone, a poise unlike the other, a politeness that was not often there for wolves of the kind. Especially not for the temperate wolves, the place was filled with wicked at times, not too many desired anymore to come to their lands. She mused at the time the two wanted individuals would ever return to said lands. Finding a forgiving wolf, especially the Queen and Warlord, was a rarity.

"Many ask the same questions, the same interests and curiosity.. It is but minor part of my life to provide such information," so little to give, it wasn't wasteful. Perhaps it was the more kinder side of Célnes, she did not mind giving such informations and knowledge of not only the land itself, but her own wolves. A part of her, always though, came to be that those who came into The Elk's Crown were destined in some way - a hope she held, they would continue to stay. Not all did, but they left with a friendly enough relationship. The belief that in the end it will one day bear fruit.

She wasn't as wicked like Vengeance, so the Queen claims.

She adjusted her body downwards, sitting as her tail curled over her paws. A quaint smile with a crescent gaze, "I am Célnes Deorwine, those of the name follow the High Elk, a God, a Patron, a Diety.. A God to the Elk - to live together, is to be given a bountiful life by him. You could say it's a culture." She wondered if there was any more like so.. Though Célnes wasn't that naive to believe they didn't exist, but she didn't meet anyone who yet to explain similar ways, or a familial tied culture like her own. If she did, she couldn't say she remembered.

When he spoke as she mulled over the image, all she could muster was a bat. Though they did not have a tail, nor' near whatever a.. Skyscraper was called, such words twisted her head tilt to the other side with a thoughtful hum, "I'm afraid I do not know what that is."

the staff team luvs u
Content Warning
09-01-2021, 04:25 AM
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • slight sexual references
^^
Nikitas understood cultures. They were a.. preferred way of life. Everyone had them, he supposed, in one way or the other. Some likely didn’t realize they had one, but he knew it was there; hidden within plain sight. Nikitas found that he was very… thankful that this lovely lady was so patient with his questions about her life - her culture - and that about canines. Thankful, too, that she did not laugh in his face and call him a liar.

And thankfulness was not ever an emotion that he had felt before, but there it was, just as strong as the arousal hunger that he felt. She adjusted her posture, looking more elegant. Ooh no, baby, what is you doing? That quaint smile almost made him, the gargoyle, quiver. “There is nothing wrong with coexist..ence. ” He’d said, despite the war back home. Despite that, in some way, this new realm was so much more peaceful than all of the pointless fighting. And why? Because they were too different to understand each other? To different to learn how to coexist? Or was it because they felt threatened?

“So this.. High Elk, is like your leader?” She had not answered his questions about the elk or the deer, and he did not fault her. He was bombarbing her with questions and she, like a teacher or a mother, took them in stride, not even batting an eye. Not even complaining. “Ah, Célnes Deorwine. What an exotic name for an exotic woman, hm? It is, and has been, a pleasure, m’lady. The name’s Nikitas. Nikitas Onasis.” He would have bowed if he knew how to, but bowing was not something that gargoyles were accustomed to doing. Eating? Fucking? Killing? Now that, he knew how to do, but anything else? Why, anything else was a mystery.

He would chuckle, nonetheless, nodding his head. She did not know what he spoke of. Either not of the skyscrapers, as none could be seen - was this a realm that knew nothing of the cruelty of humans, or were they just so far out that humans were not a threat? And, of course, of what a gargoyle was. Ah, good. His worries of frightening her were dead in the water. He smiled with an inhale. “Would you be so kind as to.. tell me more about this Elkshire, and your High Elk? Your culture is very.. intriguing, just as you are.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
09-12-2021, 04:51 PM
Mutual in a way, there was something about the man that dazzled her. Unwordly, compared to those who claimed to be of Gods or madmen from elsewhere that she did not know, truly within his voice and way he presented himself. A way to be desired, his fur was to be desired, and yet not. Blackened and sparkled off in creams, oh how sinful would the rest would be, but she knew, that the Déorwine woman would be raptured by his view, "He is not."

She shook her head, "For he is our God, but here within this forest, I am the Queen of so." Proud and so, her rank slipping off her tongue as she presented to who she once was, her majesty, the Queen. Though she may all be done and praise be, Célnes could not see herself following that of an Elk - nor anyone to be. Long did she follow the reigns of the homeland - Kingslend! In it's glory, yet discrimination it may be and the possessive of their nature was too strong to liking, here, she shapes it as she so sees. And within all, it made it worth to see true individuals, that she took a desire to.

"The pleasure is all mine, Nikitas Onasis." Though the man himself was smooth as stream in a windless day, she could not say the same for his name. Yet, just as he called her so, she mouthed 'exotic' back so. A mysterious man, she definitely thought, someone that she was adjusting to grow fond of, "what would you care to know?"

the staff team luvs u
09-12-2021, 11:19 PM
^^The creature of the night turned towards her with the arch of his brow. The High Elk was a god, whatever the hell that was, and the lady of dark wines and chocolates, was a queen. She was fine as wine, and oh, Nikitas smiled and licked his lips. He would enjoy running his tongue across her fur.

He would enjoy… a very good, many things, with this unique creature. He smiled; a rare emotion coming from his dark features that caused his lips to curl up to reveal the very tips of his canines. Yet as rare as smiling was for him, she had gotten two out of him already. It may have looked like a smug expression, and perhaps, it was. “I do not know what a… god is, though I am familiar with royalty.” Nikitas spoke smoothly, brows arching in silent wonder as to what sort of queen she was.

He thought back, to the hidden movement, his eyes glancing around to the woodland around them, in additional silent wonder to how many other creatures were watching them and listening to this conversation. Did it bother him? No. No, certainly not; he knew it came with the territory.

When she asked her question, Nikitas paused. She was a queen and therefore, above him. So, why on earth was she humoring him with the time of day? His mouth opened, in a bold though brief moment as he debated asking her just that, but alas, why ruin the moment? Instead, he chuckled, with a single step closer as he narrowed his eyes, and lowered his head.

Everything. Teach me everything, Célnes Deorwine.”

That was a tall order. Could she... and would she.. deliver?
^^
the staff team luvs u
09-18-2021, 07:25 PM
Enchanted that he was, she couldn't help but move closer, a circling of so like a predator for prey, a watching of him so, an eye not trying to hide away the scavenging look across his body. His voice was like that of the dusk, the quiet hour as the birds settle down and just for a moment so do the insects ; the hour of silence and mourn, enchanted for those in awaiting as the sun would go and moon would rise. He was like that of the middle, someone who belonged to the night but walked through the day.

"Why do you wish to know so much, Nikitas?" her voice hummed devilishly, lowering her head and looking at him so while whispering her question. She was entrapped with his smile as one never left her own, whimsical and closed, no teeth peaking and but curled lips in that of a foxish amusement.

the staff team luvs u
Content Warning
09-19-2021, 01:45 AM
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • sexual references/thoughts
^^The queen stepped towards him and Nikitas felt something in his chest that he had never felt for another creature before. Excitement. Arousal. His heart skipped a beat, and Nikitas had to hold himself back from stepping towards her, as well. And oh, how his hackles quivered with the excitement of her, and Nikitas could not help but to tilt his head one way and then the other, as she spoke.

Why did he want to know so much? He pondered then, if he’d been too eager to learn of this world, and of her. He wasn’t sure how to act or how to answer her, fearing that the wrong answer would cause her to flee before his eyes, and while he was quite sure that the view would have been lovely, Nikitas knew that he didn’t want that. And while knowledge was power, that wasn't what he was after.

Perhaps his eagerness was a turnoff? Oh, was that it? His eyes seemed to widen for a moment, in wonder of how many others before him had been too eager, and for all the wrong reasons. How many times had the queen of wines been burned? Is that what she’d thought, then? Nikitas allowed the smallest of growls to leave his throat as he spoke.

“Call me shallow, but... I don’t know how else I’m going to convince the Queen of Elkshire to spend more time with me.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
09-21-2021, 12:16 AM
"Oh?" she couldn't help but twitch her lips, a continued crescent look while the man admitted his ways. A small tease, a tail attempted to brush beside him so with but a continued circling of. Her eyes continued to graze his very body, a look toward his darkened, shimmering pelt, to the smallest touches of beiges and like. An outline of shine, as if the world itself painted him into a contour. She felt that any would fall for his charm, his musked words and the look Nikitas gives to another.

Though she couldn't easy.

"Perhaps I can entertain you more," she so whispered, to his ears, her body separating to a further distance, "with time." Though such an invitation was desired to give, but an encouraged flirtation to adore.. Her core of stubbornness, a regalia to bear and royalty to the crown ; a fleeting night of but what is to be desired was not to be gained.. For the moment though, Celnes toyed with such thought, and wanted him in her realm.

"Would you care to join Elkshire, Nikitas?"

the staff team luvs u
09-21-2021, 03:39 AM
^^Nikitas had pondered in the silence that followed his answer, if the answer he gave would have been enough to sway the mighty queen’s suspicions of him. Her response, though, with the twitch of her delicious lips, caused a tingle to run down his spine. Oh? She’d said, though Nikitas wasn’t the least bit sure if she was actually interested in him as he was her, though she hadn’t quite rejected him.

Not that a gargoyle would actually know about courtships, or such things; but he assumed that if the queen was not interested, or did not find him interesting enough - she would be so bold to voice her rejection and be on her way. Yet, instead, came her response, and a question that somehow, Nikitas caught the gargoyle off guard. Was Elkshire by invitation only?

Furthermore, was the queen using him to gain more members of her kingdom? His ears flickered a bit, and Nikitas found that, alas, he did not care if the queen was using him. He desired her, and he would have her.

He brought his lips together as his shoulders rolled back, as if deep in thought, but alas, he knew the answer, as did she. Of course he would join Elkshire; an invitation by the queen herself was hard to ignore. He just hoped that he would not come to learn that her heart already belonged to another, for he would wait to kill so soon.

“If joining Elkshire gives me the excuse of spending more time with you, My Queen, then I will gladly do so. And what, exactly, might my fancy new title be?” Nikitas spoke softly, calling her by her title in wonder of how she would react to being called such - and from him, no less - and secondly, how the words tasted on his tongue.

Though if she desired him at all, she only needed to speak of it, and he would make it so.
^^
the staff team luvs u
09-21-2021, 08:14 PM
She was never one to outright say what she wanted, as most would know the Queen's words were full of curses and secrets, a snakes way as she turned and twined the ways how she so tried to do - all within the palm of her paw. A silver-tongue and a way to entertain people to her liking, a shifting of tides to always make herself look good, with certain means of but teasing.

Though hers was in honest for once to him, though numbers were always to be desired she thought not of that, but she wanted him. To keep within her woods to see his shadow about, and days to lure to her side in a closer attempt. Celnes couldn't deny there was almost a moment to throw herself at him, but ah - what would be a Queen if she were easy prey?

"A guard close to my side."

Ah, but she did have the ability to grant a ploy to lure such an individual.

the staff team luvs u
09-21-2021, 10:41 PM
^^Nikitas might have had a good laugh at the thought of Queen Deorwine considering herself easy prey, as that would mean that Nikitas actively was hunting her and, of course, that there was nothing easy about being a queen.

If she wished to throw herself at him, then Nikitas would catch her. But alas, it was not known to Nikitas that the queen desired him. For she did not voice it in a way that Nikitas understood. The ranking, or title, she wished to bestow upon him, however, caused his eyes to narrow as his tongue slowly ran over his lips, and there sat a seductive smirk upon his dark lips.

Something about becoming her personal guard, to remain by her side, sounded positively thrilling. And here he’d thought that she’d give him the lowest possible rank, forcing him to work his way up the ladder, when instead, she desired him close to her side. Nikitas pondered for a moment, if he was reading too much into it, or if she was just lacking the protection, or… if there was something of value, aside from herself, that needed the protection. And if that were so, what was it, and who or what was he protecting against?

So many questions, but ah, so little time. Nikitas did not wish to ruin the moment by asking such things, and merely assumed he’d learn them on the job, at a later time. For now, however, the man laced in stone and smoke stepped forward with the dip of his head and a seductive growl.

“Then you are mine to protect. I would rather see death a thousand times more, before I allowed anyone else to touch you.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
09-26-2021, 06:43 PM
throwing another thread for them later! adored their interaction

"Welcome to Elkshire, Nikitas." In more ways then one did she felt that the High Elk align the fates together. Though some drawbacks that may be, often times they were now distant from her mind, for they were not the first to harm herself, and nor' would they be the last. On a list they may shine but now an unworry was shown to the Queen, as focus was to continue of the flourish of her pack and the protection of her children. The more that arrive the more she feels but a confidence to the crown ;

a monopoly of desire over wolves. Even moreso against the man before her, where her own attempted to brush against him in a ploy to say 'follow me' as she ventured closer to the forests depths. Though the night may not be that of pure warmth and desire, an array of toying words to be exchanged and but a mutual thought of wanting.. An introduction, of all that The Elk's Crown may have.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top