Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Illusions Scattered

Evening Sunny/Clear
AW
Discovery
Ecologist
08-19-2021, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 08:24 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
And so the shadow returned, her paws carrying her north from Ichorwood's reaches until the grass turned to rock and sand. She'd let her paws drag through the light dusty grains, a small rut of a trail leading out behind her. Kei wasn't concerned with someone following or finding her, actually, she wasn't sure why she was here at all.

Maybe it was for her friend, the one that grounded her despite the distance. It took her mind off of Sybil, to how life had been before her adopted sister entered the picture. Even here, amongst the beach and distance rock. It was an island, but the structure of the rocks reminded her of her mountains. Deep in color and jagged though past the outside was a lush and vibrant land.

The shadow stood from the shoreline, watching as the tide pulled back, retreating with the early moon. It seemed fall would be here soon if the tide was growing low in the afternoon, but she would not complain as she picked at shells and rocks half-buried in the ghostly remains of the sea. Every day that passed she found herself more and more tempted to leave. Perhaps she already had. There had been nothing wrong with the celestial pack, but it had always felt temporary.

+1 Discovery point

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 74445313_iNcyCvTxUg8q22X.gif]
Discovery
08-23-2021, 03:03 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2021, 01:57 PM by Mars. Edited 2 times in total.)
From his perch within the coastal mountains he could see the great fist. The tall yet thin cluster of rocks which reached out from the ocean depths just as dark as the rocks themselves. There looked to be no green, no solid earth or red meat to slate his hunger. The islands belonged to the sea feathers which roosted on them, he felt. The adventurer in him wanted a closer look, the seafarer wondered of treasures within.

True to his lustful, greedy nature, he left the rocks of his home and into the sands of it instead. From his beach he moves southward to the bay closest near the jagged black rocks. The islands rise like guardians, encircling something for more hospitable but it remains out of view.

He sees a woman then, as his eyes cast back to the mainland. She is as dark as the rocks themselves, splashed by only smokey shading. “Well hello...” A whispered, smooth tongue seeks to catch her attention. “Do the rocks intrigue you too?” The golden Stormborn keeps his distance, so not to offend, nor spook.

+2 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
*Ragnar frequently has black feathers woven into his scruff, curiosity of his good friend, Krakarak.
Discovery
08-28-2021, 10:27 PM
The rocks and shells would only entertain her for so long before a voice called out to her. At first, she expected it to be Crux, somehow hunting her down as he had before at the enclosed beach near Ichorwood, but this time it was a stranger. A man dressed in pale golds and cream though just as large as the singularity of Event Horizon. Less so the rocks, more who lives amongst them. As if to emphasize her point, the small colored shell at her paw was batted into the oncoming tide as she found a seat for herself amongst the blackened shores.

The man kept his distance, but that wouldn't stop his scent from being carried on the breeze. He seemed to be a traveler of sorts, no definitive pack to his name yet...not entirely alone. She wondered for a moment if others might be lurking. If she had crossed some unknown lines despite the abandoned state of the shores...well, half-abandoned now. You from around here? It may not have been wise to suggest the forming claim her friend sought along the distant islands, but what was a claim without a name? Travelers and settlers alike would learn of its existence one day.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
09-06-2021, 03:31 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2021, 01:58 PM by Mars. Edited 2 times in total.)
A grumble edged from his dark lips, a wordless agreement to what she had said as she tossed a shell out into the shallows and settled down on the dark beach.

“Living on an island would have its difficulties, I'd imagine.” He said as he drew nearer to the female in a lazy lope. As he did so, he accessed her body language, not coming in too closely depending on how she reacted to his presence. “The reward within would need to be worth it.” He spoke on, a curiosity in his tone as he stopped and turned his attention back to the black island rocks.

Closer up, some of these jagged rocks looked to reach as high as the crests of his snowy home. Some of the rocks were much smaller, stepping stones to further exploration off coast. Surely it was not all just black rock and exposure all around.

“This Isle sits neighbor to my home, just there.” Ragnar turns his head, tipping up his muzzle into the direction of the snowy mountain peaks just north. “Northfall is its name. My family and I reign there. We are Stormborn and I am Ragnar.” He introduces as he turns back to the shadowy smoke woman at his side.

+2 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
*Ragnar frequently has black feathers woven into his scruff, curiosity of his good friend, Krakarak.
Discovery
09-10-2021, 08:46 AM
She flicked an ear to his direction as his steps grew closer. He hadn't acted hostile so far, nor did he give her a reason to be concerned so she cared little for his approach. Kei couldn't help but find herself agreeing though. The islands were not challenging alone for their seclusion and sparse life, but the weeping tide as well that lick their fur and hooked tiny claws that sought to drag you down. For most, A twitch of her lips pulled a short lopsided grin to her face as she let golden eyes sweep back to the other, but the boon of the dragons will protect their own.

Never would she expect to see herself living amongst the rocky outcrops, but she knew of her friend's strength. Of her pack's. They had been similar to the Order's even if both had been distant. Of course, the islands would be fitting for Vendrussel, they provided a natural barrier to the outside and she had come from a land of turmoil. How the dragons managed to stay in the shadows still eluded her. Kei, but I'm from a forest further south. It seems you will be neighbors with my friend. She sees the rocks as a beast of old, and these waters are its grave. リヴァイアサンの墓 — Leviathan's Sepulcher.

the staff team luvs u
09-12-2021, 04:18 AM
His chin dips in acknowledgment to her name and he listens on curiously as she goes to speak of a friend of hers. A friend which meant to claim the rocky formations out to sea before them. His head lifts and 'hrmmm' passes his lips. He is quiet a moment, in deep thought of how this might affect his own.

“Quite close company we will have, I see.” His mountain and her friend's sea rocks, they were large lands in their own right though Ragnar did not know how much food would be within their home and how much they may end up having to travel outward for food.. They would be feasting from the corner of the sea, would be hunting herds in the same stretch of open plain to the east. Ragnar hoped this would not be problematic for either of them. For now he did not say more on this.

“I had these same thoughts...” He said then, turning his icy eyes from her and onto the black sea rocks. “They do look to be the spined backside of a great Leviathan.”
the staff team luvs u
Formation
09-12-2021, 08:33 AM
It was hard to tell from his reaction if he was displeased with the news. All he would acknowledge was their closeness in proximity with a short hmmm. The shadow eyed him carefully, though tried to keep her slight squint from appearing aggressive. Don't worry, if she lives anything like her birth pack she'll keep to herself and her land along with whoever joins her. The dragons had always been secluded and it was one of the many reasons Vendrussel had insisted on living on a fuckin' island.

Hey, maybe you'll even like each other. She shrugged rolling her shoulders. Not that Venny was exactly hard to get along with. She supposed it would matter on the man and what kind of pack he led in the mountains, but so long as they weren't violent or decided they needed Vendrussel's food she doubted there would be many issues.

He turned his gaze though, looking back to the black spires, and she was surprised to hear that he too saw them as a beast rising from the sea. Have you seen one? She'd snort if she didn't think there was the smallest chance he'd say yes. He held confidence in his words and it made her wonder if maybe Venny was right...maybe the ancients really did hideaway.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
09-13-2021, 12:35 AM
The Stormborn listens to her words and then chuckles, shaking his head and meeting the woman's gaze once more. “It is not her which I worry about.” He admits, an icy gaze lingering on her to gage a reaction before turning back to the ocean ahead and the large black formations which jut out from it.

Ragnar would be able to keep his pups from swimming out to those rocks, he thought, but his children were creations of his own loins and the womb of one of the fiercest women he had ever met. They were yearling now, full grown and demanding, conquering as the viking in their blood demanded. He knew one pup in particular which might cause them trouble and it was his duty as their father to protect her even if the majority of the fights she caused were fault of her own.

“Our mountain reaches out close to the sea and the beaches meet the waters of his own, ” He speaks on behalf of the beast's grave site. “The plains rested between Northfall and the mountain east, Cloudrest, are the hunting grounds of allied land.” He thinks then of @Aeri, but does not think the newcomers would be problematic for her. “Out in the sea, if she wishes to rest on its back, she will be left to do just that. But if she finds little nourishment there and needs to expand to lands nearby for food...” His words trail off and he looks to Kei and a shrug moving over his shoulders in the same way which she had moments ago, a kind of a 'welp we will find out' look given. They both would know they would have to protect their own when it came to it. He could only hope Kei would pass the information onto their friend of hers and know that her seeking a home here would not be without risk. The Stormborns would not relent.

“Yes.” He answers then, “Atop the high slopes of my former home. Out into the ocean, where it swallowed whole the wolves who dared to tread the salty waters of its claim.” Would she believe him? He didn't know but wouldn't argue.
the staff team luvs u
09-13-2021, 01:10 AM
Really? Her ear twitched as she glanced back to the man in disbelief. Here she had been ready to defend Venny's name if need be, expecting him to threaten the land she desired so badly, but he did not, instead lining territories to the north that seemed to be sought and claimed already. Honestly, she was surprised to hear that he was settled so close and they hadn't noticed yet, but perhaps the sea's stench was heavier than his borders...or perhaps he too was few in numbers.

She hummed shortly under her breath as she tilted her head over to look at the towering mountains in the near distance. She couldn't speak for her friend, but she could at least tell her and convince her to keep any expansion she might decide down the line to the east or south. She seeks seclusion. I can't speak for her, but she wouldn't willingly pick a fight when there are other options. At least she didn't think she would. I expect you and your allies hold the same expectations for lands you don't claim?

It would be foolish to declare otherwise so openly now, even if he saw her as no threat. It would only be a call to arms if they knew now they would not respect borders. She could see Vendrussel possibly liking this man and an ally wouldn't hurt her even if she kept to the icy waters. Maybe it would surprise him that she did in fact believe his claim. The shadow had grown on tales of old and despite never seeing them herself, many of her elders claimed to have, alongside Vendrussel's birthpack.

I've only heard of the ancients. Where we came from they were told to have disappeared, hidden away, or amongst us. My friend heard a call for the sea, though the beast sleeps.

the staff team luvs u
09-18-2021, 09:23 PM
A silent nod. Ragnar watches the smokey hallowed woman with a curious pale eye, watching the whole of her pumpkin gaze move past him and onto the snowy peaks of his home. In some places, the mountain rocks plummeted into ocean. At others, beaches made way and it was here Northfall and the black rocks shared common ocean inlets.

“For lands we do not claim, yes.” And a raised scarred brow lifted, accessing. But his own were not shy to the customs of war, his pups had been born to the very thing which caused their mother's life with it. They relished a challenging lifestyle, accepted pain and feared no death with Valhalla awaiting them with open arms.

“Many did not believe it to be true when we saw it. Many saw and still did not believe. It was far, after all.” He admitted with a chuckle and sideways smirk. “My children's mother, she was certain of what it was.” Even times, he himself could not believe the sight which he had seen. Bit the Gods were powerful things, capable of making anything as great and terrifying, he guessed.
the staff team luvs u
Dragonford Isles
Formation
09-19-2021, 05:51 AM
Then I'd think you would be able to live in peace. They would be close neighbors, there was no getting around that, but food shouldn't be a problem with an endless sea. So long as they both kept to their own lands there should be no reason for tension to exist between the two. The shadow of a woman simply nodded in agreement to his claim, a hum coming from her throat.

Yeah, not surprising. I've never seen one so it sounds hard to believe, but with so many stories passed down from not just my home is telling enough. How would Venny react if she saw one dive to the sea? Ecstatic probably. Well, I'm only passing by for now, but I'll be sure to spread word of your claim. For now, it might be best if you too go home. さようなら Should he have nothing else for her she would take her leave to head back to the redwoods of home.

the staff team luvs u
10-12-2021, 02:39 AM
The sun-kissed wolf listened to the dark woman, whom had never seen though could not deny the possibility of such a great beast. The passing of story and tales had been passed through the generations of his own beliefs, The Gods of Old just the same as those of Norse. Ragnar felt, whatever or wherever such creatures there were, so long as they left him and his own be he was fine with it.

Nodding quietly to the woman, he shakes out his coat and turns back to the black rocks, then back to the dark rocky coated woman. “Until we meet again.” With neighbors settling bordered to lands of their own, it was without a doubt they would run into one another again. For now, he was content to go back to the highlands of his home in peace.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top