Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I smile because you want to,

Morning Partly Cloudy
AW
08-16-2021, 12:15 AM
Though the prophecy was given, it took time to get over to the mountains. There was patience to her step, she knew one way or another west held what Vendrussel needed to go to, but there was never a time limit to such paths. When she entered the familiar scent of pines, and mountains plenty around herself, a faint smile wisped from her face - warm and dear, like a long lost meeting. She was getting closer to familiar grounds.

The blue wolf weaved herself through the trees, a quiet, but pleasant stroll.

the staff team luvs u
08-17-2021, 10:23 PM
“No, no, no!” The cream and white wolf was in the middle of a crisis. She slammed her front paws on the pine littered ground beneath her in pure frustration as she yelled.

She was so close. So close, only for it all to be torn away… by what? So desperate for love, the young wolf had planned to do the unspeakable. Set out in the dark of night… until she stumbled and went flying down some sort of deep, dark tunnel. When she awoke, she was in a pile of earth and pine needles, no pack in sight. Gone from the warm birch forest that had been her home.

Something must have happened. Perhaps they’d discovered her plot. But she’d only just made up her mind. Had she fallen through to the other side of the world? Was that even possible?

Such a display of emotion was rare for her. She was normally so collected, so at ease, but her desperation had sent her off the edge. Shaking dirt off of her white coat, she took in a few deep breaths to try and calm herself down. It was only then that she heard the light paw steps of another.

the staff team luvs u
08-17-2021, 10:29 PM
The other so caught up in her torn emotions, a tantrum of sorts of desperation as Vendrussel could see her through the treelines. Shockingly so though, a similar experiencing on watching the white wolf emerge from the camel ; this one emerged from the dirt itself. Rising like a tree, crawling out of the earth itself in a rage of sorts, a stomping of paws and cursing to the skies. One would think this was akin to a zombie, if not their varied angry emotions.

"Are you alright?" Such a peaceful stroll disrupted, but none was more interesting then someone rising out of a grave, as Vendrussel called toward the other from a safe distance.

the staff team luvs u
08-17-2021, 11:01 PM
There was visible disappointment on the white wolf’s face when the wolf she’d stumbled upon was unfamiliar.

“No, I’m not alright,” she responded, still full of emotion. Monarch had never had such a burst of raw emotion. At least not in front of anyone before. She didn’t know how to handle it, and now that someone was standing in front of her, she couldn’t help but be utterly embarrassed. She turned away from the blue wolf, stared into the trees for a second to regain her composure, then turned back around to stare with red eyes.

“Who are you?”

the staff team luvs u
08-17-2021, 11:17 PM
They were a pale wolf, creamy and white, something that hinted a sweetness, yet their sour personality twisted away from that perception as she gazed into the reddish look, before glancing downwards into the pile she had came from, "You seem relatively fine for.. Crawling out of the earth itself." Vendrussel couldn't help but point it on, due to her more lively nature when she was a wolf covered in dirt and dibris. Such a way couldn't be explained, like the halfing who emerged as a full-grown wolf from a camel itself, not even birthed, but killing the poor creature his new wake. At least in a sanctuary of sorts, didn't have to see that again.

"I am Vendrussel, a wanderer, and.." her voice hummed slightly, a slight tilted head, "a seeker of sorts."

the staff team luvs u
08-18-2021, 01:33 AM
Monarch’s eyes narrowed. A seeker? For a moment, panic set in. Had this wolf been sent to her, specifically? How could she be so normal, so nonchalant about it all? She could not forget about her own decision last night… but there was no way anyone could have found out. Perhaps Vendrussel was simply another wolf who had been whisked away, to here, before she could perform a bad deed. Yes, that must be it.

"What sorts do you seek?" she asked. Her voice was cooling down now, no longer fraught with her original intense emotions, but there remained an ever present urge in her mind to flee. She had not committed any crime, no, but perhaps the thought and intention of doing so was enough to warrant celestial punishment.

the staff team luvs u
08-18-2021, 01:49 AM
"I held a dream of a land  I must go to," though she smiled, and laughed a bit in a slight embarrassing matter, yet a confidence stance and gaze when she proclaimed such an ordeal. If anyone else had said the same she would've looked at them with a dubious expression, and perhaps even assume they were a loon. Though this land held very mysterious ways, wolves appearing out of camels and the ground itself, herself appearing in the middle of the desert ; drenched in sea-water, despite eons away from any coast.. 

"It may sound ridiculous," she proclaimed, "though I will trust my instincts." Vendrussel didn't know at the time of the others woes and worries.. Her only thought line was to find the source of the beast, where it proclaimed to find them.

the staff team luvs u
08-18-2021, 05:13 PM
A divine quest, Monarch thought, perhaps this is how I redeem myself. She knew this couldn’t have been a normal occurrence. And as soon as she could get back to where she was, she could carry on with her plan. Not that anyone here needed to know that. The white wolf shook the remaining bits of dirt off of her coat and stepped closer.

“So you were brought here by something celestial?” she asked, ears pricked with sudden interest.

the staff team luvs u
08-18-2021, 07:30 PM
There was a hum, as she tilted her head to the other side in thought, "my culture belongs with the dragons. I believe their spirits has given the sign to head toward where I may thrive." A handful of dragons are named in history, all of guardians of sorts to the life beyond. Some of her kind would take refuge in one and try to gain their honor, others did not care too much. Vendrussel thought she was a mixture, though faith may be, and with their help of guidance ; in the end she still had to rely on herself. The strength of her own soul, and the bravery to take. 

She would survive.

"What of you? I do not even know your name." Ocean eyes turned back to the pale ruby-eyed woman.

the staff team luvs u
08-28-2021, 09:30 PM
Monarch considered Vendrussel's quest for a moment, trying to decide if she believed it or not. She supposed dragons were not implausible, seeing as some magic had brought her here, buried beneath the earth as if in a grave. Her eyes were thoughtful, no longer gleaming frantically as she tried to grasp what was happening here. She'd roll with it, as she always had.

"Monarch is what I go by," she responded, flicking her right ear to bring attention to the two monarch wings pressed into her cream fur. "I seek approval from the divine. They have sent me here as well." She'd give nothing more, not wanting the other to know her true nature.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
08-28-2021, 10:13 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2021, 11:18 PM by Vendrussel. Edited 1 time in total.)
"I am Vendrussel," though she flickered an ear, there was no show to something that matched her namesake. She did take note the other who came out with wings upon her ear, butterflies were not uncommon within these mountains, but she found it odd that the other, who had dug out from the ground itself and came upwards with an intact figure. Artifacts that clung to her ears though were dirtied, seemed alright for the moment being. Her lips curled in a slight amusement at the woman named Monarch, decorated herself in a monarch wing.

"Do you know your path, or searching? Perhaps they have aligned our path," she mused such thought if the other believe her own divines sent her somewhere. Destiny was a belief she held, and the ability to warp it how one desires, but sometimes, there was help.

the staff team luvs u
09-16-2021, 03:42 PM
Monarch noticed Vendrussel's amusement tug a smile upon her face, but couldn't place what was so amusing to her. She straightened her posture, lifting her head.

"Perhaps they have," she said, as if her own thoughts echoed those of Vendrussel. "I did know my path, or so I thought, but in the present I am quite lost. Crawling out of a grave is not a regular occurrence for me." Monarch smiled slightly and tilted her head. She liked this wolf, she decided. Vendrussel seemed to have a very one-track mindset: follow the gods to her homeland. And then what? Be it a sign from the gods or her own natural curiosity, Monarch wanted to find out.

"Might I join you?" she asked.

the staff team luvs u
09-17-2021, 06:34 PM
Some part of her felt a connection to the woman - for she literally appeared out from the dirt in front of Vendrussel. That part enough made the woman think there was but a ploy between the two, a way of the dragons desired to push the two together. Especially since she was on a mission, anyone pushed to her aim was surely but a must. She enjoyed the calm nature the other had, despite the circumstances that there was.

She smiled brightly, "to the west we go."

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top