Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Ψ · Feelin' like I'm out of my mind,

Sunrise Sunny/Clear
P
Discovery
08-15-2021, 11:39 PM

It was not home but it was slowly becoming such.

The warrior moved through the crisp morning air, paws leaving trails of dark through the grass. Morning dew clung to her lower legs and she paused to lap at the cool water draped over the greenery. It was just a wetness, not a true sip, but it was enjoyable nevertheless. There had been dew in the forest, of course, but it didn't seem quite as crisp there as here, where the sky would soon bake into the earth.

She lifted her head, eyes trailing across the land.

It was not home... yet.

She still felt an itch to return to the forests, a longing to return and apologize. It was pure Pathos, that desire. They had left during the pack's most vulnerable and she knew she would never be forgiven for that. The visage of the previous night had left her strangely itchy, claws aching something serious.

It was as if watching that ball of light cross her homeland had been a blessing on this new land, a whisper that they were not in the wrong for turning their backs on those who had shown them such trust. This new home, it could be something wonderful, even if the tall grasses that grew across the land were not nearly the protection that the crown of leaves had been.

the staff team luvs u
08-16-2021, 12:01 AM
Though her dream still held mysteries and she was no prophet, her soul clung onto the final words she heard 'find me,' so the beast growls as it howls against the waves. Born to the sea of ice in the north ways, she could see it as a way to find the coast once more - return to the routes that she had held firm. Though the place she saw, a pile of rocks, a forming shape of the beast as it shadows over the harsh waters.. Vendrussel knew it was not the home she sought for. It was something anew, that the ancients had given her a way, a push from the behind.

They were never any Gods to the wolves who followed them, but more beings that guided them through. A trust into them, not a blindful denotation. Some would whisper into a help, as those ancients would whisk them into the string of destiny, and yet never knew where it was tied to. She took the night before as a sign, a way that Vendrussel had to find the coast. Something was there to help her find a purpose, that her homeland had not provided the path that was meant for her.

She knew it could not be near the desert, it had to be west. The simple feeling like a wisp of wind was guiding her to, she didn't know why she knew it was that way, but a longing had pulled her. Far from the plains and mountains she held, chasing that midnight sky wolf ; she ended up far from the mountains. Now was but a trudging path back to where.

Curiously so, the blue woman could smell that there was a group of wolves within the area..

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
08-16-2021, 01:33 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2021, 01:34 AM by Meissa. Edited 1 time in total.)
 Meissa slowed her walk to bask in the whispers of sunlight that drew over the hills and flatlands of the west, fur rising to allow in sweet sunbeams. Her eyes closed as she breathed in the fresh morning air, a shiver running down her spine ending in a shake of her body, a thrashing of her tails across the tips of long grasses.

Her eyes opened and she noticed a shape in the distance opposite the sink hole she and her new family had claimed. Wolf?

At first she froze, eyes on the shape. Her gaze was intense as she tried to recognize the form and her lungs deflated with relief as she realized that this was not, in fact, one of the wolves sent from Elkshire to destroy them for their transgressions. No, after their flight she doubted the queen would ever allow another wolf so coated in whites - not to mention blues - to join. At least, not any time soon would a wolf such as they be trusted with something like this. A Nightwalker?

No, the scent that happened across her nose was one entirely unfamiliar.

A local?

Her muscles loosened and she trotted towards the stranger, furs now politely descended and fitted back together neatly. “Ho, traveler!” she called with a wave of her tails. “Do you live near here?” This time, she wanted to know the neighbors, meet whoever was nearby. She'd met one neighbor in her old home and sort of a second, though she wished she hadn't ever smelled that one.

The faint scent carried along from the wolf ahead of her was pleasant to the nose and Meissa hoped that she would be similarly pleasant to speak with.

the staff team luvs u
08-16-2021, 06:22 PM
Outside of tundrian waters were canines of the most unusual traits. Vendrussel's small world was slowly expanding, but she didn't feel any negativity toward them, but moreso a wonder on how they ended up with such abnormal traits. A large wolf came across her, even if she was tall herself, she had a more slender bodyframe then anything heavyset, though a slight stem of muscles often shined from her blue furs. Though most warriors would take a body trait that they have.

Yet, they were no dragon warrior. Coated in hues of warm summers, but they held.. She couldn't say this was a pretty woman - her nose was something like a deformity, or a bee-sting that never went away. It brought a few moments of silence as she gauged her, friendly as she was, her appearance definitely spoke otherwise to these plains. Were those two tails? Ocean eyes very so cleanly gazed up and down her, a dubious gaze before a headshake and a more neutral facial setting to settle by.

"No, i'm just heading west."

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
08-20-2021, 04:12 PM
 Despite her unspoken commentary for Meissa's form, to the soldier, the lady was pretty with a gentle collar of white atop a wonderful tone of seastone. Meissa wondered where she was heading, what she was doing in the plains. It didn't seem there were all that many wolves here, no established packs at least from what she could tell. Herds of deer, maybe, the odd loner, but nothing too important.

If Meissa were to know the specifics, she would argue that she was more dragonlike, more akin to the blocky, powerful beasts of western legend than the delicate visage of most regular wolves, which likened more to the eastern species.

Nevertheless, she knew nothing but the beating of her heart.

“I'd stick north of the thick forests, there's unrest and prejudice there that you would likely be target of,” she offered a sad chuckle, “That's why I got out.” She wouldn't offer her own name just yet, still too anxious of word returning to the forest wolves who might wish to hunt their little convoy down. “This is The Hiraeth.” She didn't figure a name like that would be too informative if word were to spread, but...

Had she already spoken too much?

Almight had spoken of his family being mercenaries and she fretted at the possibilities of bloodshed. She imagined the wolves of the fog appearing and pouring down into the sinkhole, ripping and destroying everything they touched. Would they be vindictive, clogging the river above Hiraeth until it overflowed out the sides, becoming a deadly slip-n-slide for everyone trying to escape? She blinked the thought away and offered a smile, indicating behind her to where the evidence of the sinkhole lay.

the staff team luvs u
08-20-2021, 05:52 PM
A brow lifted - though no thoughts to going downwards, it now did bring a curiosity on who was down there to hold discriminatory ways. She couldn't say she was completely unfamiliar with the topic, as her homeland of more warriors then healers would often torment, albeit in jest to some, but often more times she could count those who did not take the dragons path were mocked. Vendrussel was not at the end of those jokes, as she continued the same path amongst most of the kin did so. It was funny in that way where medics were so valued, but so mocked when the young would take a shine to it ; a shame to those of the dragons honor in family. 

"How so?" she asked, "they hold a name?" maybe it would be keen to avoid such areas.. She didn't even like when her own kin made fun of the more weak. At least her prophesized dream was not aimed at such lands, and she doubted to ever truly go lower then so. Even if the forests were tempting of exploration, Vendrussel didn't desire to cause any trouble - or venture near too at the moment. Bravery, but not stupidity. Farthest that she would was this place they dubbed -The Hireath.

the staff team luvs u
08-22-2021, 06:48 PM
 This woman seemed quiet, though she inquired on names. Meissa wondered what she was thinking - was she criticizing them for living in a hole in the ground? Lord knew Tavra had shown disdain for the idea, she wondered if the fox would decide to turn back and make her own way. Perhaps not, if she were given some position of nobility. Flynn would have the final say on that, she knew.

All she knew was that she would protect Flynn with her last breath.

“Two packs that I know of reside there - Elkshire is a land that honors brown coats and disdains or even hates other coat colours, especially white.” a wave of her tails would more readily reveal the white-coated one.

“The other is a band of mercenaries that go by the name of Nightwalkers, led by a foul man - of both odor and personality - named Vengeance. There are decent souls within,” her thoughts went to Almight, whose interactions with her had been positive, if derogatory towards her pack - old pack, “But I have also seen others of their pack attack to kill and insult without any provocation.” They had returned Flynn battered and torn; she had witnessed one leap to attack the pale girl she had met in the mist even though Almight had leaped to defend her.

the staff team luvs u
08-26-2021, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2021, 08:34 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
The south did not seem nicely, as she continued with a dubious expression. Though Vendrussel as heard wolves discriminating against appearances, she hadn't heard about pelt colors. Some would against their obvious mutations, like the woman before her, or likewise any disabilities.. Some even held against blood, thinking about the stories of different families clashing for being 'lesser.' 

"They sound unpleasant. I was not planning to go down there regardless." 

Ah, but Nightwalkers were familiar. She could vaguely remember the blazeful woman mentioning of the land being quiet foul, though no name was given to, Vendrussel could connect the dots. She was familiar with mercenaries, many times they were neither bad nor' good, simply by the price that was given they would that way. She could imagine that they would cause no issues, unlike the name Elkshire gave. If she was not brown, it seemed she would not be favored.

She hummed, and played with a smile upon her face, a slight thankful nod on this newer knowledge. Her aim was continual line, and had thought of downwards, but she was perhaps thankful toward this woman who lived in a hole, "then what is your group called?"

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Little Haven
08-27-2021, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2021, 08:35 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
 Meissa gave a nod, glad to hear it. She didn't want anyone going down there, for two reasons. One was that anyone staying down there was destined to have an unhappy life unless they fit in the mold or liked pain. The other was, well, she didn't want word to spread too fast. She was sure she was the only two tailed wolf that she knew of and the idea of word reaching there before she and her family could settle, having to move further to escape the jaws of fate, well.

It worried her.

Then, the woman asked about her own group. The queen looked at the woman thoughtfully, trying to decide if she was to be trusted with this information or if she was just pulling her leg. She seemed genuine enough. “We call ourselves Little Haven,” she said after a moment. “Do you have a pack you're returning to?” She had no expectations to ask the woman to stay but she was curious.

If she was part of a pack, then depending on how far they decided to settle, she wondered about diplomacy, being friendly with this woman however far west she settled, however many she might live with.

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
08-27-2021, 05:47 PM
Little Haven? A cute name, perhaps suitable if these wolves were running away from the less then nice ones down in the south.  A haven of sorts to those not very welcomed in the forests, one who settled into the plains. Though she couldn't say their habitat was the best to choose from, peering down to the hole itself, a strained smile. One wrong slip from anyone and they'd be tumbling down to the pit itself, she could see it was a pleasantry to live in on the outside, but, Vendrussel couldn't say she'd stay. The waterfall was a beautiful touch though.

Vendrussel sat down, a leg itching her blue ears for a moment, "at the moment no, though I am heading west. I was called there." She wasn't particulary hiding the factor that a destined call was given to her. She had seen the wolf of the stars, and the dreams of so, and now - she was on a mission. It meant that she would not join any group unless they were settled on the prophesied area.

the staff team luvs u
08-27-2021, 07:24 PM
 Pleased that she didn't have to defend the name - Tavra in particular had seemed oddly disgruntled by the idea of it - there were clearly still some disagreements. Perhaps with the location. Where else was there to live in the wide open Plains than where there were odd differences? A hole in the ground, as large as it was, was home to secrets that would be found and even form with time.

“Called?” Meissa queried, genuinely curious. “Do you know where to?”

She, too, had seen the lights in the sky. They had even deposited her little brother here, much to her lover's confusion. That had been a real misunderstanding she was still working on soothing him down from. Nevertheless, she doubted he would be offended that she were talking to another lady, despite his knowing that she had been in love with one in the past.

This one wouldn't stay here, that much was clear, and somehow that made the twin-tailed wolf ever more interested in her plan.

the staff team luvs u
08-27-2021, 07:32 PM
"I had dreamed of the coast, where a beasts roar can be heard and their figure shadowing the waters. Somewhere, within the west." Her soft tail covered her paws as she smiled while sharing of the passing dream. Remembering the night itself, and the more or less embarrassing calling to the sky. She would hope no one had heard her frantic pleas to the being in the sky, while she ran across the plains in that wonder ; why was Vendrussel hear?

Though pleas be heard, a dream that meant something. It could all be her imagination, and yet the night of the sky wolf clearly meant something, and she thought, it had to be. Though she may not know where the coast was, it was like a pulling to the west, the assumption it had to be there. She coughed a bit, a slightly embarrassed look, for some may think she is a loon, "I at least hope to find it."

the staff team luvs u
08-27-2021, 07:44 PM
 The coast? Beasts roaring, shadowing waters? She considered this for a moment, thinking on it.

“You'll be happy to hear, the ocean isn't too far,” she said, “I woke within the waters of one, though further south than you want to go.” The memory of waking underwater and having to force her way to the surface before she could breathe was not a happy one, full of nerves and panic. She had spent some time on the coast before moving inland and meeting the terrifying man of white who was far too interested for his own good.

She wondered if the watch for him would remain, even though she no longer lived there. Now that she was reviled.

“I'm sure you'll find it,” a genuine smile found its way to her lips. “Wherever it is you dreamed of.”

the staff team luvs u
08-28-2021, 05:40 PM
A tranquil smile, rather pleased to not find someone that made fun of so dreams. She knew that such ways would often be laughed at, and even her own packmates would lull in a taunt over such, despite their belief of the ancestors.. No one would dream of them personally reaching out to the great dragons, it was more rather then seeing them as Gods, they were more of beings that the northern wolves dreamed to be like, and asked for help, a guidance in light itself, and a reliance in the safety of their claims. As so the sun and moon are guided by the greater dragons, all would hope, they gaze down to the land, and watch their kind.

"I will be on my way then, knowing it's so close.." like a light bulb though as the blue wolf rose, "I do not believe I got your name. I am Vendrussel." She realized no names were actually given despite some information shared. Though, thinking about it.. It was rather suspicious for someone to give such cautious info despite no identity stated - for all that the other knew, she could've been associated with the Nightwalkers. Despite such thoughts roaming, she remained with a neutral smile.

the staff team luvs u
08-30-2021, 03:30 PM
 Meissa wondered if this lady would ever find the coast she dreamed of. She hoped she would, there was some optimistic flame of hope within her chest. This woman wasn't burdened with the same limitations as she herself was. She was free to do whatever she wanted and go wherever she willed.

Meissa wondered if there would ever be a day when she could be like that again.

Then a question she had dreaded: her name. The queen considered lying but the idea of doing so sat sour in her mouth, threw lead into her tongue. No, even when it would put her life at risk: She couldn't. “My friends call me Mei,” and my enemies call me brute, ugly bitch, and the like. “It was nice to meet you, Vendrussel. I truly hope you find what you're looking for!” Her face held a smile and the hope in her eyes was genuine.

the staff team luvs u
09-01-2021, 08:22 PM
"Farewell, Mei." With such information given, she took a moment to gaze into the south, a thought of those who were there. Maybe a day to fully venture toward to see if these claims were real or not, though her mindset remained elsewhere, and was a task for another day. She momentarily dipped her head toward the other, before then starting the small pace that picked up to her running, and toward the mountains.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top