Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
She never cries

Evening Rain 68° F
P
04-09-2021, 06:54 PM
Admittedly, she had stayed a while, circling the area and exploring here and there at a leisurely pace. It was too beautiful to leave just yet, and so she had stayed overnight and throughout the next day after discovering the orphan fawn. By now it was evening, but the clouds had opened up and let rain drizzle peacefully through the bloodied canopy. It was a quiet rain, soft and inviting. 

Well, more of a reason to stay for another night. Now her goal was to locate another large tree to sit with the rest of the night, and enjoy her shower. She made a curt turn and weaved between two smaller trees to locate a larger one, and sat at its base. She moved into a laying position, and while the vain woman did not particularly like getting dirty, she could swim off the debris tomorrow when she leaves. 

In the peace and quiet of her surroundings, and the sound of the gentle rain, she closed her eyes and tilted her head so as to rest on the trunk of the tree. She wasn’t sleeping just yet, but it was nice, tranquil. For the moment, her mind was still, and she dare not stir up a thought to get it going.
the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-09-2021, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2021, 11:29 PM by Crux. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: Adding Formation tag - marking the territory. )
 The rain always seemed to draw Crux out of the camp. It was these moments when he could really enjoy the forest, when the quiet rattle of rain against tree branch filtered down to his face and back. He walked among the trees, rubbing nonchalantly against them as he went. Sure, peeing was a more effective marking method, but he enjoyed a good scratch of bark against his thick coat.

The rain seemed to dull the voices of other animals as they sought shelter to wait out the storm. Birds didn't seem to care to chirp and he passed not one but two squirrels peering out from carved-in holes in trees, as if daring him to sneak in and snatch their always-full reserves of nut and other plant matter. He chuckled at one particularly confident one who dared to crawl of of its hole and chatter at him. Sure, it would have been able to easily scamper back into its hole before he could reach it, but what cheek!

An unfamiliar scent carried to his nose and he pricked his ears, peering about for the source. He continued walking, finally coming across a monochrome woman - like himself - who was nestled in a tree. He paused, blinking at her with curiosity. She was pretty, colours mimicking his own in a way. How long had she been here, in his woods?

the staff team luvs u
04-10-2021, 12:18 AM
Even as the stranger approached, her eyes did not open and her position did not stir. Judging by scent alone, the cologne belonged to a male. What was he doing interrupting her resting time? Her diaphragm inflated and heaved a sigh, as finally, when she felt his eyes on her, did she open her own to look at him. Lavender hues met with his own, and she wondered what it was that he wanted, or needed. He approached silently, not a greeting offered and not a nod of hello. It wasn't only odd, but rather rude. Her eyes narrowed a fraction as her tail tip flicked up and down. Her steeled lips formed into a taut line and she watched him rigidly as he watched her. 

After a long moment, Khryseis finally broke the silence. 
"May I help you?"
Her deep voice crooned in a velvety smooth tune, keeping a balance of neutrality. She was offering neither an attitude nor an overly excitable one. It was a clear cut question, and one that maybe would lead her to an answer as to why he stood so strangely before her. It was almost awkward, really. But maybe the large male could redeem himself yet.
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-10-2021, 12:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2021, 12:58 AM by Crux. Edited 1 time in total.)
 “Ah, good, you're awake!” He blinked apologetically, shaking out of his short stupor. Had he noticed she was already awake when he arrived, he would have said something. “Apologies for disturbing your rest, I didn't want to startle you.” He wouldn't go, though. She was in his land, after all.

And he sat. He didn't want her to think him some creep thinking of harming her, after all. “I forget my manners. I am Crux and this is Bl-,” he caught himself, “Ichorwood, previously Bleakwood.” His pack had decided on the new name fairly recently and he was working on remembering it. It still saddened him that half the pack had seemed to think the name was ill-fitting. That selfsame squirrel hopped onto a nearby branch to verbally abuse him more and gave it a look before grinning, “This forest is quite something, hm? The critters here have no fear.” Maybe they felt they were something special, being in a wood that winter never saw. 

Perhaps they thought the wolves' presence would somehow start up time again and they would be forced into a terrible winter? He had previously considered what might happen if that occurred, but frankly he'd prefer to live in the current, not stuck in his mind. “Not to mention the trees don't seem to know it's not fall anymore.” he started at the squirrel and it scampered away with an angry chatter. Amused, he looked back at the lady.

the staff team luvs u
04-10-2021, 02:38 PM
Her eyes widened a little as his response was not what she expected in the very least. ”Ah, good, you’re awake!” She blinked. Her mouth opened to respond, but he wasn’t quite finished. Her initial thought of him being rude flew away with the wind as he continued. He went on to name this beautiful place, stuttering over his words as he settled with Ichorwood. Her eyes began to wander the scenery as he continued on about the creatures and how the tress didn’t give a flip about what season it was. 
"No apology needed, Crux."
Her deep voice crooned just before she began to shift, sitting up for a more polite interaction. 

Khryseis watched the squirrel and Crux interact before it scurried off. 
"I am Khryseis. This Ichorwood as you call it, it’s breathtaking. Is it yours?"
His cologne was a familiar one, and she connected the dots to when she met the fawn. Was this wolf one of his guardians? While large and handsome, she didn’t quite take the man to be so kind, especially to prey. It would seem, thus far, that he is full of surprises. 

Her mind then began to wander and reel, churning as it often did. If if was his, would he let her visit? Was he merely fattening the orphan fawn up for the winter that’s to never come? Was he putting on a show, a front, only to take his mask off as soon as her guard was down? Skeptical and unsure, Khryseis was taught one thing while growing up - keep the walls up, lest she be vulnerable to unkind souls. And although her interior was exploding with separate wars and conversations never had, her exterior was stoic. Calmed and cool, open for further conversation.
the staff team luvs u
Event Horizon
Formation
04-10-2021, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2021, 11:28 PM by Crux. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: Updating for Formation point since he's talking about the pack a little bit. )
 No, he wasn't rude - at least not intentionally. He was just awkward.

He smiled at her after she turned his apology back. She sat to join and converse and he was eternally grateful for it, exhaling deeply to try to rid himself of the sudden shock of nerves he'd felt and had to shove back down his throat. Having to be a level-headed leader was hard and he was working hard to keep up with it. In a way, he often felt something like a yearling again. As if he'd never fully grown into himself. Oh, but he was trying.

“Lovely to meet you, Khryseis!” It reminded him of the hard-to-say name for butterflies before they bloomed that his mother had taught him his first spring. Chrysalis. “Yes, my pack - Event Horizon - is claiming the forest. A few of us woke here, so we felt it most fitting.” He still was amused by meeting Mordecai on that fateful day and then immediately covering him red leaves. How had Mordi never noticed? He was certain it was a story to tell the pack's pups as they grew.

If Khryseis paid close attention to the scents, she would likely pick out with ease that it was not just the pack-scent that young Hawking held but specifically Crux's own above all the others.

“What brings you to Ichorwood?” It was a pleasant question, not at all accusatory. They were still young and new - he hadn't yet started to actively try to create the border as a divider between those within and those without. Soon, he figured, but not yet. For now, he was content with making friends with whoever came across the forest and learning about them that way instead of instantly directing them to the borders.

the staff team luvs u
04-12-2021, 09:48 PM
Her eyes narrowed again but this time it was not out of skepticism or irritation. Her ear flicked, that’s the second time someone had mentioned waking up in this new...world? She wasn’t sure. She wondered what they meant, exactly, and so she would ask. 
"It’s nice to meet you as well. But tell me, what do you mean by ‘you woke up’ here? I met a wolf not too long ago who said something similar."
It truly intrigued her. 

Crux went on to talk about his pack, Event Horizon, and it almost coaxed a grin to form at the edges of her lips. It reminded her of a story her grandfather once told about one of his many packs. But one in particular was his most talked about. A favorite maybe? But when he did speak of it, he had that weird combination look of sadness and contentment.   He went into details but they were fuzzy for her at the moment, and so instead of letting her mind flourish with her past, she listened to Crux further. 
"Well, truth be told I was wandering and found it. The leaves were too pretty to pass up the exploration opportunity. I am sorry, however, for trespassing. It isn’t like me, I guess...well. I don’t have an excuse."
She said bluntly, her deep voice crooned her apology before trying to give him a small grin.
the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-12-2021, 11:35 PM
 Oh, that was interesting! He peered at her curiously for but a moment before carefully saying, “Pretty much every wolf I've spoken to has the same story: They woke up in a place very unfamiliar, different from where they slept. Some... Some died and awoke here. Some simply slept and found themselves here. Others have no recollection besides confusion.” Was this lady's story truly different? He pondered what that might mean. After all, perhaps she was one of a minority who had been born here...?

Perhaps that lone child on the Mountain truly hadn't crossed over.

But he was certain they weren't all mad.

He smiled and nodded, peering up at the trees before looking back to the girl. “I appreciate the apology, but there is no need for excuses.” He gave a half-chuckle, “We are still newly forming, our scent has yet to fill the woods.” That wasn't to say they weren't doing their part, but it was early enough that he could not fault the girl for not having scented them. For being too interested in the venus fly trap of the mind that was these strange, strange woods. “Plus, we always enjoy having visitors! We are a rather peaceful group and prefer sharing knowledge to isolating ourselves.” Had he been some other wolves who had recently passed through the area, he might have been insinuating something, but truthfully Crux was just excited to meet strangers.

Especially if their stories could tell him something more about this strange world.

the staff team luvs u
04-15-2021, 07:05 PM
It was the same answer she normally got - no one knows. It wasn’t his fault, it’s just the truth of it. No one knows where they are or what they’re doing. Khryseis took into consideration all the answers of those she asked, studying each route the individual took. How they coped and how they viewed this world. Some carried on like nothing happened, some saw a new world to seize. Some were content with the thought of purgatory, and some seemed too confused to know which way was up. So where did she stand? Right smack in the middle, maybe? It was like she was in the epicenter of a cross path. Different optional routes rooting off in every direction. And from where she was in her small circle, she didn’t know which road to take. So why take one already created? She could make her own, and be a true Timber. 

Right? 

She threw these thoughts to the back of her mind. She’d review them later. 
"It seems like a really nice home. Can you tell me a little bit more about how Event Horizon functions? Your laws, cause if you have one, your way of life? I know you said you were peaceful, but what else?"
Grandad would smack me for asking so many questions, she thought. She’d like this information purely for personal use. To store it away, safe keeping in her mental filing cabinets in case she got tired of her nomadic ways. She wasn’t sure she ever would or could give up her absolute freedom, but maybe if the right place came along to settle down with, she could consider. 
"If I were to create a pack, I’d pick somewhere like this too."
She offered a small grin, trying to compliment how well he’d chosen his area of rest.
the staff team luvs u
Event Horizon
Formation
04-16-2021, 12:48 AM
 Oh, she wanted to know more? He grinned, letting her finish her questions and the offered compliment, which he took with a grateful, “Ah, thank you!” Yes, the forest was quite a natural wonder.

“Sure.” He considered her questions. Laws, Cause, Way of Life. He took a moment to consider how much to say, what insight to give that could not be used to dig out vulnerabilities in their structure. They were still very new, very early in their formation, but there were a few defined things steady.

Well, where to start? His face was serious as he considered the question before answering, “My childhood pack was a flawed one - no wolf was safe even from their own kin. That instability and aggression aimed both inward and outward was its downfall,” All true. From what he had heard, his own great-grandfather had been among the wolves who brought the fire to the Valley and torched them to the ground. He had been a second-in-command long before Crux's own birth but he had heard stories... none of which he liked. “Here, we fight to survive, not survive to fight.” If that made sense, but if she had any experience in packs where fighting was their main cause, she would surely understand.

“Our cause is to be a safe place to grow and strengthen one another, not tear each other down. As far as laws go, we are generally lax. Crimes such as murder and rape, however, are punished and we have a Court to convene and decide upon appropriate punishment.” This court had yet to convene once and he hoped that it would be quite some time before they were required. “The family unit is well respected and we allow freedom in taking of mates,” though there were no blood-families yet, they had enough of each sex that he was sure that they would match up eventually.

What else.. Ah, that was a lot already. “Any other questions I can answer?” He smiled pleasantly, keen eyes on the lady as he quieted to allow her to ask more.

the staff team luvs u
04-20-2021, 08:18 PM
Crux did not fail in answering her query. She listened to each word he spoke, and thought about it hard. The more he explained Event Horizon the more she realized how different it was from what she once knew. He strived to make it into the opposite of how he was raised. To a certain degree she respected that wish of his, but she felt little confidence he could pull it off. She wouldn’t verbally discourage him, though. That would be rude. 

She nodded along slowly and wondered simply: could she live like that? She had feelings of what her past had been but remembering it was an entirely different case. Could she live how Crux intended Event Horizon to be? She wandered this new earth but had no idea how she got here, where she came from, or why any of it was so different. But she was alone, and she didn’t like that. 

Before she chose a home, though, she wanted to do her homework on the different packs. Who could she stand to follow? She wasn’t really a subordinate but, she wasn’t sure she had all the gumption to lead right now either. But one thing was for sure, she didn’t want to be alone anymore. 
"That sounds like a lovely plan. Do you lead Event Horizon alone?"
Did he have a mate of his own, or a partner in crime, or maybe he was a lonestar. Either way, it was intriguing, and she hoped he would allow her the chance to visit once again when she came closer to making her decision.
the staff team luvs u
04-22-2021, 02:00 AM
 While his plans and dreams for the pack might have been seen as too optimistic, he could not help but look to the sky, for the only alternative was to be dragged back into the past.

The past was not a place he wished to dwell.

Did he lead the pack alone? He gave a soft chuckle, “Currently, yes.” As solitary a lead and as single as one could come, at the current. He had yet to form true bonds with anyone - ah, fuck. A term from his past, a true bond. There was nothing like that here and he had to blink to force himself back into the present, “Eventually, I will have others at my side, but the need for them has not yet arrived.”

He hoped to eventually form a council of others, though he knew that that was something far from the present.

And as far as mates went... while he would be remiss to avoid the thought of a queen or royal consort, he felt the need to have an emotional connection before he allowed himself to bring anyone even that close to his own level. The chances of a climb for power alone was too great - something he knew well enough about from his own mother's rise into the harem of one of the leaders of his birth pack.

“What about you? Do you have any family that might be roaming the wilds?” A mate, children, parents? He certainly had heard about wolves coming back from the dead to find themselves here, so the chance of her having a fully formed family that might rear its head was not impossible.

the staff team luvs u
04-22-2021, 05:04 PM
Khryseis understood his answer on a deeper level than she could comprehend at the moment. He had no need for a fellow king or queen, so he was a lone rider. She nodded along as she processed this, and respected it. She always did like a solitary king or queen over the entirety of the pack, rather than a pair who often had quarrels among themselves about how to rule the roost. she wondered then, how big were they? By the way he spoke, they were very new, and perhaps even short on members. It was all an assumption, of course, and if  it was true his secret was safe with her. So far she had no qualms with Crux and she wouldn't wish ill will upon him or his pack presently. For the nomad intended to do more researching and exploring before laying her weary head somewhere. She smiled as he spoke of his singular throne but then when he asked about her own family, her own past, her smile faded. 

Where was her family? Who were her family? She only remembered a select few, she could barely remember her own mother's name at this point. Her nose dipped downward as brows furrowed, and her mind filled with possibilities and scenarios. It took her a long moment's pause before she mustered some of an answer for him. 
"I don't know,"
Her deep vocals were haunted by a ghostly shroud of loss and unknowing. She tried hard, but she could only remember a few of them. 
"Timber..?"
Then she looked to Crux as if he would have the answers. 
"My grandfather, my father..."
she spoke as if counting heads. 
"Hmmm. Timbers,"
Khryseis Timber. 

Finally, her shoulders rose and fell in a defeated shrug. 
"I have such a hard time remembering anything anymore,"
Truthfully, she was lucky just to remember her own name. Silvery lips pulled in a taut line as she fought back the urge to cry. Why did she want to cry? Couldn't she just go searching for her lost family? Sure, but on some subconscious level, she knew that they were gone. 

Or maybe she was the one who was gone. 
the staff team luvs u
04-23-2021, 04:41 PM
 He watched her closely as she thought on her past, trying to gather the splinters of memory that he assumed she was dealing with. Some of the wolves he'd encountered knew very little of their pasts. Others remembered much larger chunks or perhaps their whole pasts.

He looked on in concern as she struggled, wishing to assist in some way but knowing that he couldn't. Instead he sat quietly, letting her mull through her thoughts. His ears pricked as she offered names, but he gave a slight shake of his head - he did not recognize the name Timber.

Crux started forward to comfort her as he heard the emotion in her voice, but held back so he would not startle her. “It's okay,” he said, his voice gentle, “Sometimes, wolves wake here with no memories of the past. Some don't even have their own names,” as was the case with Redshift and Blueshift, who he had granted the names to upon their waking here. “If you need a place to stay, even for just a night, you're welcome here.”

He didn't expect her to want to join, but he would not feel right not offering to a wolf who was so clearly hurting inside.

the staff team luvs u
04-28-2021, 03:34 AM
Kind Crux attempted to soothe the lost woman as she stammered and spoke in damn near riddles. She was appreciative of his benevolent nature, and somewhat deflated in relief as he hushed her woes. He mentioned that some wolves didn't even know their names, so at least she had that going for her. But why didn't she want to claim the Timber part of her name? If that was her full name, why did it leave such a vile, but proud, taste in her mouth? It was as if she was entitled and yet, she wanted to spit on the name. It was a strange mix of feelings and she wasn't so sure what to do with it. For now, she pushed it aside for later analyzation. 

Crux's invitation to stay, even if just for the night, was welcomed with open arms. She nodded and offered a small smile.
"I'd like that, thank you Crux."
Her paws shifted beneath her weight but she remained sitting at the base of the tree. 
"I met a fawn when I first entered the Ichorwood. His scent is faint upon your coat, and yours his. Are you his guardian?"
Hawk hadn't quite left her mind just yet and she remained curious about his wellbeing. She could see now, after having met and spoken with Crux, that he could adopt an orphaned fawn and grant him sanctuary. In all honesty, Khryseis was surprised she took such a liking to Hawk, even though he filled her mind with even more confused and lost thoughts about children and what they could have meant to her in the past.

@Crux
the staff team luvs u
04-28-2021, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2021, 06:15 PM by Crux. Edited 1 time in total.)
 Clearly, Khryseis had a lot to think about. This place had a way of doing that, forcing one to think about themselves and what they truly wanted. Whether their sense of self had more to do about the wolves around them and their family than it had to do about them.

But, in a way, this new place was a fresh start. If she had no ties to anyone, she was free to make herself new, like he had. If he had to stay the way he was in years past... well, let's just say that he wouldn't be too happy to be forced into that sort of role again. So, if Khryseis wanted to embrace her past or shed it entirely, that was wholly up to her and he would not fault her for either direction she decided to take.

She accepted his offer and he smiled. She graciously accepted and he dipped his head in acceptance of the thanks.

Then, she said something he wasn't expecting. “Oh, you met Hawking!” The little deer would need a talking to, interacting with strangers. As he hadn't noticed the child harmed and he'd definitely seen him that morning, it appeared that Khryseis had not harmed the little one, which Crux was thankful and solidified his positive thoughts of the wolfess. “He awoke in my camp, actually. It was the first - and only - time I've seen a non-wolf in a similar situation to the rest of us. I took him in, he's ... pretty much a son to me,” he gave a little laugh and if he had been human, he would have been scratching the back of his neck. “I've told him to stick close to camp, but fawns and pups of that age will do what they want to do.”

He wanted to keep Hawking safe, but when the child wandered up to strange wolves, it was putting him at risk. They would need to watch the borders more closely to make sure no intruders showed up who might want to harm him and the others. “We don't have any specific dug-out guest dens yet, but if it makes you feel more comfortable, there's plenty of space under the tree that I sleep under.” There was no unbecoming intention in his offer or even in his mind.

He glanced up at the sky, rain still falling steadily though he'd almost forgotten about it during the conversation. “It's pretty dry, too.”

the staff team luvs u
05-08-2021, 06:16 PM
Crux did confirm that he was Hawk’s guardian, but he called him Hawking instead. Was Khry mistaken on the fawn’s name? The boy wouldn’t speak to correct her, so she had assumed she was entirely correct, not just some percentage. She supposed it really didn’t matter too much, but next they met she would address him properly.

The King continued on to offer her a dry, safe place within his Event Horizon even if she was a guest. She appreciated his offer and if she decided to keep Hawking in her life, as well as Crux, she would take him up on his offers. She could see herself enjoying his company and even fancying a friendship with the both of them.
"I’m glad you found him, then. He’s a sweet boy that one. He was cautious at first but I called him forth, I had no intentions of harming him but...that’s not to say another will grant my kindness."
She was sad, really, to say such a truth.
"He doesn’t seem to speak. Has he ever spoken to you?"
She was very curious on this front. The boy was silent their entire meeting, and while she would normally find such a thing terribly rude, Hawking did communicate with her in other ways. In turn, Khryseis didn’t feel ignored or overlooked.
"This is true. Children often wander without much thought."
She mused, a small grin pulling at the edge of her lips. It was as if she was speaking from experience, but she really couldn’t say.
"I’d love to stay a time or two."
She confirmed, nodding along.
the staff team luvs u
05-09-2021, 06:34 PM
 The starlit male smiled, nodding in agreement. Hawking was a good boy and Crux hoped that he could protect him from the world... but also, there was a line that eventually they would need to cross. The boy had to be used to the world, had to be prepared. Had to know that most wolves would eat him and that even those that loved him would still eat other deer. It was the way of the world and he was the different one.

Not a bad thing, but it would be a hard life for the boy. Perhaps safer, but harder.

“He has, though rarely - I wonder if the wolf tongue is hard for him,” It certainly had been strange the first time he'd heard actual understandable words coming from the boy's lips, when he might have expected a wordless bleat. “I'm sure he would love to see you again, since it sounds like you got on well!” He wouldn't lie and say the boy didn't get on with just anyone, though he was certain the lady might have felt a bit proud of herself if he had. Lying about this was a bit too inconsequential to bother with it, truly.

He'd glance up at the sky. “If you'd like to stay tonight, I suppose we should get out of the rain, then, hm?” The speckled male looked back at her with a smile. Were she to respond agreeably, he'd nod and lead the way to the camp and his tree.

We can continue or end at your reply!

the staff team luvs u
05-13-2021, 11:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2021, 11:43 PM by Khryseis.)
in her deep thought, she never once thought if maybe Hawking couldn't speak the wolf dialect. was this difficult for him, as Crux said? she didn't say a word about it but did nod with crux as he said the boy had spoken, but it was a very rare occurrence. she let another small smile grace her lips as he said he was sure hawking would love to see her again, and this time she couldn't keep quiet. 
"Yes, i'd love to see him again too."
she spoke quietly, as crux was not done speaking. his offer extended for this moment as well, and she gave a curt nod as she stood to her full height, shaking the debris from her posterior floofs. she began to walk past him and a few paces on, but then looked over her shoulder for his lead. after all, she didn't know where the camp was situated. she assumed near by as she had ran into the king and his adopted son, but she wasn't nosy enough to go looking for the pack's central. she had a feeling though that her grandfather would have already mapped out their location and their innerworkings, as he was such an aggressive type. but khryseis lacked the care for such extremes, although she knew he would bap her for letting her guard down so quickly with crux. he was a kind gentleman so far, though, and she honestly didn't think there was a mean bone in his body. but perhaps she was the fool for such assumptions. 
"Lead the way," she offered kindly, awaiting the crown to pivot in his Horizon's direction. 

exit khry!<3

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top