Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

It's not over

Afternoon Overcast
04-06-2021, 05:21 PM
@"Thalia"

Why the heck was he so cold? His eyes opened and his head lifted, and for a second, he thought his stark-black fur had turned white. But, as he shifted and some fell, he realized it was snow. But, why was he sleeping outside in what looked to be the dead of winter? He shook off the rest of it, and took a look around. It was then he realized he didn't even know where he was. He took a few steps forward, away from the snowy trees, and inhaled deeply. There were no signs of his pack. 

Instantly, he was aggravated. Why couldn't he remember getting here? Where was Valette? He would not willingly leave her. She must be around here, somewhere. Though he had no idea where to go, he just began walking, trudging through the snow. He couldn't just stand idly by and wait to see if she appeared. No, he would go looking for her.
the staff team luvs u
04-06-2021, 06:05 PM
^^
Never did Thalia think she would return here, here where the giant demon feline roamed when she woke up in one of the many trees here. Prey was abundant here and the autumn woman didn't want to avoid this place forever, and so, as she carved her way through the soft freshly fallen snow, Thalia's eyes were ever watchful, sharper than ever to make sure she would not be caught off guard by one of the hellcats in the area.

As she wandered in the snow-ravaged forest, there were still no signs of the felines - and so, Thalia felt more comfortable and confident as she trotted through the ankle-deep snow. She didn't have the same grace as the local deer or swiftness of the rabbits as they almost pranced along the snow's top - but her muscular limbs made it easier in her own way.

But then as a form moved at the corner of her eye - she stood still.

Head whipping in its direction to dissect what it could possibly be. Blue eyes narrowing onto its figure... the way it moved, its size and colour, it was not one of the hellions, but one of her. A candid. Whether that was any better was still up for debate. There the woman stood, uncertain if she should draw attention to herself or just let this one slip by. Lately, she has had no luck in making any positive connections here... at this point, she was debating on just living a solitary life even.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-06-2021, 06:30 PM
Movement caught his eye, as well, which then turned his head to look directly at what was another wolf, and his forward movement came to a halt. Instantly, he knew it was not his love. He was disappointed, but still determined. If he was in his own packlands, he would chase out the offending person. But, he knew he was not home, and had no reason to run them off. In fact, maybe they could help him. 

He turned and started to head towards the rusty wolf. His demeanor was confident, but not threatening. He paused a few yards away, provided they didn't run from him. Hey, have you seen a black female wolf around here? he asked, not bothering with greetings. He had one mission, to find Valette, and he hadn't intended to make friends along the way.
the staff team luvs u
04-06-2021, 07:29 PM
^^
The man spoke first, asking if she had seen any black female around here. The initial disappointment not going unnoticed as her own face dropped disapprovingly. How rude, as if she was anything not appeasing to the eye.

As she tried to come up with an answer for him, Thalia's memories flashed at all the darker coated individuals she had met recently - none, except maybe one, but this individual had what she'd expect a dick between his legs, not baby-bearing hips as this man seemed to be looking for. A mate maybe? “No, no black female I've seen.” Her answer was simple, he seemed to be in a rush and had no time for pleasantries - fine by her. It meant no trouble to come to her today at least.

“Who are you? Maybe I'll toss her your way if I come by someone with that description.” Maybe, depending on how well this goes. Thalia was a fickle thing, after all, she didn't just do things because it was the right thing to do.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-06-2021, 08:04 PM
He recognized the aversion in her face, but waited for her reply. His own disappointment appeared as she stated she had not seen Valette. Steady was going to let it go, since he had no other business with the wolf in front of him. If she had not seen Valette, then he figured he would move on. 

But, her next sentence, and her tone, had him narrowing his eyes. For one, he didn't need any favors. He would find Valette, come hell or high water. Secondly, he didn't like to think of someone coming across her and not send her his way. Or tell him. Or something. What the stranger didn't know is that if Steady found out someone kept her whereabouts from him, he would simply rip their throats out and eat them as his next meal. No guilt would come of it. 

But, Steady wasn't stupid. If he angered the female before him, it could mean taking longer to find Valette, if she happen to come across her in the future. So, he took a calming breath. I am Steady, he introduced himself. Not exactly a kind tone, but not a snippy one, either. The woman I seek is my mate, Valette. We've gotten separated and I don't know if she's alright, or where she's at, or who she might be with, he explained. While he knew Valette was capable of taking care of herself, as her mate, he felt it was his duty to protect her, and he couldn't do that if he wasn't with her.
the staff team luvs u
04-06-2021, 11:25 PM
^^
The two stared at one another in disappointment, both pondering over their own pride in the matter and trying to get whatever they wanted out of this in the end. Despite her smaller stature, she was unmoving. Unafraid. Fierce. There was a reason why a man out there in the Tundra called her "little dragon". Her bite was just as furious as her bark if necessary and would not think twice to lunge into the fray with full teeth on display if it meant keeping her pride intact.

“Thalia.” Quickly she uttered her own name after he did his. And there it was, so this bitch was the dog's wife (using dog terms here even if Steady and Valette are wolves, Thalia's thoughts lmao). “Let me guess, you just "woke up" here.” It seemed like the common story among the now natives. Even she was one of those many who found herself in a precarious situation upon waking up in a strange place, at a strange height.

“If I see Valette I will let her know that Steady searches for her. Where do I send her to?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-06-2021, 11:34 PM
He nodded once to her name, Thalia, he noted silently. Deep, deep down, later on, when he was calm, he would appreciate this female, who didn't owe him a thing, at least letting him know that she would pass the message along. He would have let it go there, but what she said next prevented him from moving.

His whole demeanor changed when she asked her question of "waking up" here. He was surprised, shock, and confused all at once. How did you know that? he asked, his voice much softer this time. Was he not the only one? Was his pack spread out among whatever area this was? 

He was even more confused when she asked where to send Valette. I'll be honest, he said. I have no idea. I don't know where I am, or where any of my pack is, where here is. So, I don't know how to answer that. He really didn't. He didn't know what lay beyond what he could currently see. If he had chosen to leave his home, it would have been no big deal. He would have welcomed the adventure of the unknowing. But, he did not pick this. He did not want this. He just wanted Valette. Do you know what happened to me? he asked, hoping that Thalia did.
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 12:04 AM
^^
“I heard it all a few times before.” Some by simply passing by a conversation she overheard, others were well... more interesting. “I've seen wolves fall from the sky and survive their fall, remembering nothing of their celestial trip. I woke up in an evergreen in this very same area, how I got up there is beyond me.” She left the bit about the very large feline at the foot of the tree out of the story.

It wasn't important anyway... well, not to her, not for her ego.

Even the way he described his confusion didn't sound anything out of the ordinary, at least, from this place's standards. “Well, let me be the first to welcome you to the 'I haven't a fucking clue' club Steady because I don't have the faintest idea either.” If he didn't know already, she had doubts he ever would. No one seemed to know, none unless you wanted to believe some kind of doomsday cult.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 12:17 AM
Fall from the sky? What the hell was going on? How did these numerous wolves get here, and no one know how or why? So... Valette may not even be here, he stated. He could search until his paws were bloody, and it seemed a high chance he would never find her. He closed his eyes and shook his head side to side, in disbelief. This can't be real, he said. He began to pace back and forth, walking a few yards before turning around to walk back. This had to be a horribly bad dream. Or an incredibly bad joke that he would kill someone for. But, whichever, it just couldn't be real.

He paused, bringing his eyes up to look at her as she welcomed him to a club that he didn't want to be a part of. He realized that she was dead serious. He couldn't even ask any questions, because as she stated, no one knew. How many have you come across? he asked. A lot? A few? Not that the information would change anything. 

So... what are you doing while you're here? Was she just wandering? Looking for someone, like he was? He fully expected to be home at some point. This couldn't last forever.
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 01:04 AM
^^
Dramatically she shrugged at his question, whether or not his lover was here she could not answer. “Dunno.” and frankly she didn't really care either. They were all in a similar boat, all in this shit show together and she couldn't waste any of her own precious time crying over some Romeo and Juliette bullshit.

Steady began to pace, disbelief settling in. Well, this was something she hadn't seen someone do just yet. Perhaps it was her lack of 'missing someone' or 'missing home' which made this whole ordeal just a little easier to accept. Maybe it was actually a blessing she didn't remember anything, or maybe had nothing to begin with to tie her to the 'other world'. “A dozen-ish? I didn't really count.” Nor did she think it would ever matter to keep track of those things. “I've only been here for a little over a month now maybe, so not a lot of time to meet every native - if there are any.” Honestly, no one looked like a native - not even that group of men and woman seeing as one of them just fell from the fucking sky as well.

“Surviving, what else is there to do?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 01:31 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2021, 01:32 AM by Steady. Edited 1 time in total.)
A dozen or so? Okay, that wasn't many in his opinion. Hell, they could all group together and form a temporary pack to help sustain each other until they found a way back to their real lives. But, Steady had a very narrow view of what was going on here. First, there were a lot more than a dozen wolves here. Secondly, most had no memories of their previous lives. While his memory was mostly gone, his still had feelings of family, pack, and of course, Valette. He also wasn't aware just how big this new place was. He thought they were all in a tight-nit little area. Boy, was he in for a rude awakening. 

His thoughts stopped dead in their tracks when Thalia said she had been here for a month or so. Steady had thought days, at most. And possibly no natives? Where the hell did this place come from? Just fall out of the sky, like the wolves did? He took a few moments to inwardly calm himself when she said she just survives. He had every intention of getting home, wherever home was, but she was right. Until then, they needed to survive. So, if you've been here a month, what are you eating? Or, are we just eating each other? he questioned. It wasn't a joke. The feeling washed over him that if he had to, he was fully willing to eat other wolves to survive.
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 02:17 AM
^^
She was rather relaxed for the most part of their meeting, feeling no need to really get defensive other than the insulted feeling that had come and gone upon their first few seconds of meeting. Thalia was nice and relaxed up until the mention of cannibalism was casually brought up.

Here she lowered her head, hackles raising along her spine and tail growing stiff. Her gaze hardened and now she was carefully watching every movement he made. Should he make any movement toward her, the autumn dragon would snap viciously, warning him to stay away. She would be no easy meal.

“There are prey here you sick fuck. No need to go all cannibal right off the bat.” Though she had to admit, she too would take a turn if necessary... shit, she even made the threat earlier after waking up to some man, of which she would keep that promise to nibble on him should she find him unconscious again. But to think immediately on cannibalism before even making sure there was no other prey around, well, that struck her as beyond strange.

What the hell was wrong with everyone here?
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 01:30 PM
The initial tension between the pair had dissipated, only to be reformed in a heated blaze after Steady asked about food. His own body tensed up at her words, and instinctively he rose to his full height, tail waving high. He would not tolerate being so disrespected. While he was ready to fight, he didn't step forward. What stopped him, he didn't know. I'll do what I need to survive, he growled between gritted teeth. 

He wasn't even sure where that had come from. Why was he defending his cannibalistic words? Why did he say them in the first place? And, most importantly, did he mean them?
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 06:11 PM
^^
The man's posture changed as well and Thalia was on full defensive. Now convinced she was face to face with a blatant cannibal, for his mind to go immediately to such an idea was frankly extremely off putting. It wasn't a matter of survival, as far as she was concerned, or picking at a dead body as a free meal.

“Well you won't find an easy meal here Steady. Fuck off and go eat someone who'll let you eat them.” With his flashed teeth, she snarled. Snapping her teeth in a new, more vicious warning that she would not let him get close without having a few teeth puncturing his skin. If he wasn't trying to come off as some cannibal who was looking at her as if she was some tasty meal, he was doing a pretty poor show at it by becoming aggressive himself when faced with a defensive woman.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-08-2021, 01:23 PM
^^ 
The meeting had obviously turned aggressive, and it seemed neither of them were backing down. The female, Thalia, was getting more and more defensive as the moments went on. But, Steady wasn't concerned about her feelings. If I were trying to eat you, I would have done it already! he spat out angrily. As it were, Steady wasn't even hungry. 

What he was done with was this conversation. Instead of instigating her further, he whipped his body to the side and started to walk away. Mumbles spewed from his maw, something about a stupid girl, as he attempted to increase the distance between them. He didn't even bother looking back since he assumed she wouldn't attack him. After all, if she thought he was going to eat her, why provoke it? 

^^

the staff team luvs u
04-12-2021, 08:08 PM
^^
Literally everything he said just had the woman grow more and more aggressive. Every chosen word of him just kept nailing the huge ass neon sign above his head as "this man is a cannibal", and just couldn't be trusted. Honestly, was everyone here just batshit insane?! If only she knew of all the different lives that came from different experiences, perhaps she would be more forgiving of their strangeness.

Thankfully for her, Steady moved on without another word after his 'would have done it already' outburst. With one last snort in his direction, she was quick to choose a new path - away from the giant ass felines, and away from the man named Steady who might chew on her ass if given the chance.
^^
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top