Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
the stakes are high, the water’s rough

Sunrise Fog
P
Ecologist
11-02-2023, 05:56 PM
Nadua couldn't remember the last time she'd had such a nasty headache. It was all-consuming, traveling around her skull and down into her sinuses, and she found herself unable to focus on anything else. She had buried her head into her husband's shoulder in their sleep and lingered there, not yet ready to face the sunlight; she hoped for clouds today.

“Ack, @Calian,” she moaned, talking slowly. “Do you remember where I last had my medicine, husband?” She smiled despite the pain, still loving that she could call him that. “The, ah—” she pressed a paw against her temple, “—the peppermint.”
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Discovery
11-02-2023, 07:23 PM
Nothing felt different if he was honest. He could feel Nadua at his side as they slumbered. His breath matching hers. Her warmth chasing away the autumn frost... or was it spring? He couldn't tell. He couldn't remember the seasons. But it didn't alarm him. Wanting to slumber a little longer - it was only when his wife moved did he shift to give her space to do so.

And like the teenage boy he wasn't, he remained on the ground. Soaking up the remaining warmth and only opening a single rich red eye to her as she spoke up about medicine. “Hmm.” He hummed a low tune before opening his mouth to let out a long yawn.

Taking a moment to look around without getting up, he wondered... yes, where was the peppermint? “Migraine again?” As he spoke the man rose to his feet, feeling his bones creak as though he hadn't used them in a long time. Pressing his head gently against hers, giving her temple a quick lick he withdrew as to not talk in her already sensitive ears. “I'll go look. You rest.”

Unaware that these may be their woods, but in a location alien to them. Their land was familiar but not the same. He would learn that soon enough while seeking out Nadua's medicine.

the staff team luvs u
11-02-2023, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2023, 09:32 PM by Nadua. Edited 1 time in total.)
”Migraine again?” He asked.

She nodded in reply and groaned, forgetting how much it hurt to move when her headache was as bad as it was.

He offered to go and find it, but not without giving her a sweet forehead kiss, and she appreciated everything he did for her. “I think I remember rolling in some when I was visiting Grandmother Moth,” she recalled. She tended to keep the scent on her at all times, but she’d been too tired last night to apply it. “That is probably where it is.”

She sunk to the floor, covering her eyes with her forearm, and whimpered pitifully.
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Ecologist
11-12-2023, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2023, 04:14 PM by Calian. Edited 1 time in total.)
His wife would painfully tell him of a probable area with which her herbs could be found. Calian would nod in response, not wanting to bombard her too much with questions or sound in general as to limit how much pain she was in. He would simply peel himself away from her reluctantly with a lingering reassuring touch, and with haste would follow his nose to where his mother might be resting.

With her guidance Calian was able to make quick work of gathering as many mint leaves and stalks as he could carry. Their strange taste, spicy in some odd way, tickled his mouth. He always wondered if it was that hot-cold that mint had on his tongue that gave a soothing effect for his wife. As he wandered the woods to and from Nadua, one thing did strike him. Certain things were different here... these were indeed their woods, but something was strange about it. Certain things were out of place. Things that he was certain they had passed by often enough to know these woods like the back of his own paws.

Stones turned facing the wrong way. Trees that were once fallen during a storm now stood tall as they did before - while others took its place in the wreckage. A thought to explore another day.

Gently placing the majority of the plants down at Nadua's feet, he would only reserve a few for himself to chew, taking the liberty to lick and kiss with the oils on his tongue to where Nadua might need it. “Tell me where it hurts the most.” Deep vocals were softened to a hush, beckoning her to help him, help her.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top