Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Occasional Polite Knocking

Late Evening Fog
P
Adventurer
10-25-2023, 12:45 PM
What a strange place.

A maze that wasn't just crawling along the grounds, but one that stretched toward the skies as well. Twisting and winding paths, up and down, around a corner and below. It was like it never ended - and Morticia was simply wandering its open corridors to see what it might have to offer if anything at all.

Unfortunately it even stole some of the webs off her back. The stones were sticker than her coat it seemed for them, spiriting away some spiders in turn and she could only hope that here they would remain well fed and comfortable. Not anything she would waste her time with collecting if the lands were just going to steal it back from her. But Morticia felt nude without them. Without the silk robe that danced in any light air current that pulled and pushed without sensation.

Leaping down from one staircase to the one below, she hissed as an ankle rolled. Lifting the limb to investigate it, it wasn't broken that she was certain - but it would swell. “It seems I'm here for a little longer than expected.” More annoyed than anything. It wasn't like she had anywhere important to be, just curious and wandering - and even that had to stop momentarily to let her ankle heal.

At least on this lower level her cloak returned in the form of mist. And here she would remain, hidden from immediate view until the wound ceased throbbing.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-26-2023, 02:08 AM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2023, 10:52 PM by Ries. Edited 3 times in total.)
This. The cool wind blowing across the lands, ruffling the crown of fur around his neck, and the smell of grass upon the wind; it was perfect. Everything that Ries desired in this current expanse of time. His paw steps were lighthearted as he moved through the narrow grasslands surrounding his destination, fleet of foot and hurried--adrenaline coursing throughout him. The rumors of Luyten's Stairs had captivated Ries, spurring him onwards to visit them, in turn putting off the inevitable: returning home. He wasn't ready, not yet, at least... there was still too much to do, still too much to see. 

He'd promised mother he'd return one day when he had fulfilled all of his dreams, well, those dreams still existed. Just a little more... 

As he begun to ascend the stairs, he had gazed up in wonder, jaw agape in a mystic awe. Wow... His voice, full of youth, still wore the telltale bends of a young man. It'd crack sometimes, and it lacked the charismatic boom it might one day possess. Ries had completely missed the dark form laying amongst the shadows he'd begun to pass.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-26-2023, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2023, 03:00 PM by Morticia.)
Someone was coming.

She could hear their claws clicking against the stone of the region as the sound only grew louder with each and every click. For now she would remain low. Hidden in the mist for no other reason than wanting to be the one to see them, before she was seen.

The one who approached was a tall young man. Handsome enough from what she could see peering through the smog. The case and surroundings sent him into a state of awe. Cooeing a single word that echoed off the stone. Pegging him as a pack born wolf, it was endearing to see. For someone to be so enraptured in the scenery that to a born traveler was just another sight amongst many.

Rising from her roost, she didn't approach too close. Putting little to no weight on her foot but still standing with it lightly touching the ground to hide her injury the best she could. “I would watch your footing unless you plan on climbing the staircase to heaven.” A little jest led with a smile, poking more fun at herself for not heading her own words earlier.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-26-2023, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2023, 10:52 PM by Ries. Edited 2 times in total.)
Just as he lifted a paw to place it down against the next stair and continue his ascent, a voice spoke. A lady drenched in the night stepped out of nowhere, visible in his peripheral vision so suddenly that Ries nearly fell over and off the stairs. He yelped in shock, startled by her intrusion and he whipped around, his handsome smile contorted into something of bewilderment. And then he'd almost immediately calmed, the rapid thumping of his heart melting into something softer. She'd scared the shit out of him! His face heated with a warm embarrassment, a pink rouge spreading across his cheeks. 

Oh jee, you gave me a spook. He spoke rather bashfully, clearing his throat, straightening his posture in attempt to play off the situation. Yeah, I- He'd cut his own speech off when his eyes dropped to her leg. She held it at an angle where as she didn't with the others, and partnered with her warning, Ries brows knitted together. She was hurt. Did you knock your paw, friend? He asked, friendly eyes raising to her face to gauge her reaction.

All prior embarrassment seemed to leave the young wolf, yet he couldn't help the way his mind trailed to home. He would not be speaking of this specific encounter to his family, no. If they knew Ries had squealed like a little girl, yeesh! He'd be teased for years.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-26-2023, 03:14 PM
“I tend to have that effect on others.” While his smile was calming from the fright, it was sweet - while hers matched the smoky tone of hers. Like burbon after a long day. Deep and rich for a woman, still clearly feminine just unlike most of her sex.

Oh shoot, immediately she was caught. “Handsome, and observant.” She'd praise him like she wasn't some stranger that just came out of nowhere and nearly had him jump out of his skin. Not needing to hide the injury anymore, she lifted it off the ground and toward her chest. Holding it in place to try and limit any movement. “No.” She'd hum pensively. “I descended too quickly and landed on it strangely. Just a sprain I'm sure.”

Following a quick explanation, Morticia would sit. Letting the inky plume of hers curl around her toes while letting her gaze meet up with his bright yellows. They were so bright, like the sun while the mist shrouded them like the clouds above. “Unless you're a medic and can take a closer look?” She weaved a verbal web. Extending her leg ever so slightly but never moving that joint that already was larger than the rest. The way she held it was like a woman waiting for the gentleman to kiss it in greeting.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-26-2023, 07:22 PM
Ries was quite oblivious to the woman's... flirting. In fact, so oblivious, he mistook it for simple kindness. No ulterior motive. Ries took a step forwards to her, stopping just short of her. At her compliment, Ries smiled -- it grew wider, and he was unable to contain it, his white teeth revealing from beneath his lips. He found himself pawing the stone stairs, awkward as she watched him, and he had to clear his throat before he spoke. Thank... you? The only words he managed to get out. He watched as she extended him her arm, and immediately the wolf glanced it over. 

A bit swollen, but it didn't look terrible. Or at least, Ries didn't think. He definitely was no healer, that was best left to his brother. Renn. Ries mulled over memories of his siblings briefly. He did miss them, and he couldn't wait to see them again. He wondered what Renn was doing now. Hmm. 

You messed it up pretty good, didn't you? Ries chuckled, a sound that was airy and charming. Everything about the man was, something that drew others in to him, like moths to a flame. Ries possessed a confidence that was addicting, and others could get drunk on it if they weren't careful. His joy was inspiring. I don't want to disappoint, but... I'm not so well versed in helping others. But hey, you can walk, so it must not be terrible. His smile was cheesy. 

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
11-04-2023, 05:13 PM
The boy was bashful. Shying away from her compliment the instant it hit his senses. Even one who was perhaps a mere year younger than her, he was childish still. Youthful in his wonder and not all that comfortable with some harmless flirting. He must have been born in a pack - she assumed. Wandering to see the world and satiate his wandering eye, perhaps he was planning on returning home. Such a lucky boy. Not all that had opportunity.

“Mhm.” Humming her response. Agreeing that it was bad enough. “I don't think I'll running any day soon.” As a lone born, she knew just how dangerous that could be. She couldn't flee from larger predators. Couldn't protect her prey. With his upbeat attitude about it, she was certain he had to be born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Perhaps even an Alpha's pup. Made sure they got everything they needed to grow big and strong. Kind and adventurous whereas most would remain in the safety of their packs knowing the monsters that lurked beyond their borders wasn't worth the venture.

At least he was safe with her. Morticia wasn't kind, but nor was she cruel. He was far too innocent for her to see him as anything but a young man to chat with and forget after a week.

“That's a shame.” She sighed. Changing her tactic on the fly. “Perhaps you can help me get somewhere safer? I feel exposed here, and prey aren't bountiful and I'm afraid I'll starve being unable to run down something in a landscape such as this.”

Trickster skill, manipulating to get aid.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top