Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
a friend for the lonesome to talk to

Late Evening Sunny/Clear
AW
Visionary
10-13-2023, 12:33 AM
The argent back woman followed Her. Those pale eyes seeking the full silver face of the figure in the heavens. Amalthea's eyes were equally round as lithe paws carried her to a land dusted with now. Amalthea would follow her until the ends of the earth. Her whispers kind and guiding the little woman to where she needed to go.

Where that was she did not know.

Where it was did not matter.

Pausing at the base of the mountains her head tilts as her gaze upon Her face turns curious. Cautious about what was within these peaks. “I cannot.” She whispers just a few notes below speaking tune.

A pause. She was clearly in no rush.

“A pack wishes to lay claim here.” She said equally as soft as before. She could tell, with that sensitive nose that She had blessed her with, that there was a small group forming somewhere near here. It wasn't wise to cross boundaries on the build.

A sigh escapes those ebony lips as she lowers her head, a frosty whisp escaping ivories while a soft apologetic smile dawns that very mouth. “I will not question you.” But that didn't mean she would put their mission in jeopardy either. Lifting her crown to the skies, tilting her head above and to Her - she howled. Summoning to her the ones who wished to lay claim to these mountains.

the staff team luvs u
Winterhelm
Adventurer
Formation
10-13-2023, 12:45 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2023, 07:42 AM by Adonis Crownore. Edited 1 time in total.)
The Hilmar, the to be King of these mounts, would heed her call. 

He had heard her beckoning howl from a mile off where he had been busying himself with skirting the very edges of Northfall's borders, an ever observant Sentinel of Winter. He had, of course, wasted no time in making his way towards the beacon. 

When sapphire eyes laid upon the she wolf of dark fur, he'd been certain this decision was a good one. Through the high reaching evergreens and pines the beast thundered, hefty paws sending up dust and plumes of snow with each heavy footfall. 

“Greetings, wolfkin.” Adonis' voice, gravelly and akin to a rolling storm, called. To outsiders, the wolf was typically brash, calloused, rude. Confrontational. But this dainty lady would pose no threat, and she sought out his presence for a reason. “Tell me your name, and why you have come.” 

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
10-13-2023, 12:52 AM
Even while she waited - she wasn't lonesome. Feeling Her face upon her back as Amalthea waited was all the comfort she needed as the calls of midnight avians cut through the deafening silence... that was until a dark figure cut through Her light. He contrasted against the pale snow, ebony fur soaking in Her light and reflecting little to none back.

Amalthea didn't wait and instead immediately bowed in respect to those claiming these mountains. Averting her gaze to the snow beneath ebony feet with a sweeping motion, her little rear high up in the air with a plus tail reaching skyward to dramatize the motion.

Only to swiftly find its place relaxed between her ankles as the moon woman rose not long after. “Amalthea, king of the frozen peaks.” She was certain he had to be one of the leaders here. The way he carried himself and hurried to his summonings. There was no air of uncertainty here of who this might be even without a name. “If you'll grant me access, I wish to seek your highest peak tonight. Please.”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
Formation
10-13-2023, 12:59 AM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2023, 01:00 AM by Adonis Crownore. Edited 1 time in total.)
The immediate drop into a bow of courtesy brought a brow to raise upon the wolven King's scarred complexion. It appeared it was obvious who staked his claim over these frozen mountains, and it brought a pleased rumble to pull from the herculean Adonis' chest. His tail, once aloft above his pelvis, relaxed into a most neutral position; thinly wagging. He grew more friendly, more welcoming.

“Amalthea,” He heeded her name with a dip of his own crown, a kind gesture, one of acknowledgement. “I am called Adonis. There is no such need for formalities, not from you. I am not your King.” He spoke. Not yet... perhaps. He wondered. 

At her request, the wolf found himself watching her quietly. If it had been any other wolf asking, it would have been a bitter no. But this wolfess, so dainty, so kind... he found himself compelled to grant her her wish. It did not stem from allure, no; it was something paternal. “I could not turn you away. My only condition is that I accompany you.”

The wolf began a slow, ample turn to lead Amalthea in the direction of Northfall's highest peak. “It is a long walk.”

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
10-13-2023, 01:09 AM
Ebony ears turned to listen to her name being spoken on mortal lips. It was beautiful. Never had she heard it be spoken as such, especially not with such deep vocals as he, as a male would in their species. It brought a chill to her spine to ear such a thing, not unpleasantly so. She almost wished to hear it again.

As she stood listening to his invitation, she studied him closer. Scars riddled his body now that he was nearer - yet he spoke so kindly for one who must have gone through such hardships. Offering nothing but a nod in acknowledgement to his desire to be called nothing but Adonis, she wouldn't argue that he had rank over a follower such as she. Amalthea wore no crown, not then, not now, not ever.

Such as life when one listened to Her words. 

It was as She wished. 

“I will walk as long as I must.” She reassured softly, unflinching from this idea. It was cold, harsh, but a beautiful walk so long as she can make it before the sun took Her face away for the day. “You are most welcome to, I would be most honoured if you did.” To take time out of his certainly busy time, or sleepless night he could use to rest - Amalthea wouldn't ask for such an insulting thing to request him to leave her be.

“I am ready when you are.” With a slight dip of her head, politely sitting at the borders waiting for his word, she wouldn't move or rush him. Only knock at his door until he began the journey to where she had to be.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
Formation
10-13-2023, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2023, 07:39 AM by Adonis Crownore. Edited 2 times in total.)
He gave the she-wolf a flick of his tail, a silent motion which ushered her to follow. Adonis was mostly silent as he began scaling the mountain tops, leading the stranger through the winding trails and paths that led through his winter domain. 

Occasionally, the wolf would look back over his shoulder, sapphire eyes glazed with something warm leering upon the lady. Eventually, he cleared his throat to break the silence, chin tilting lightly upwards as he returned his eyes to the path ahead. 

“I take you do not stay with a Pack?” He asked, perhaps fishing for information. 

Eventually, the two of them would crest the top, and the wolf pushed onwards through the snow. “The snow is thickest here. Careful to not drown.” It was a warning, but also a half tease, as he stopped and turned. “We have arrived.” 

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
10-13-2023, 02:33 AM
Carefully she followed him. The venture was more taxing than she had prepared to have. Frosted breath escaped her maw as she worked to keep up with Adonis as he climbed higher. The air was began thin with each second passing as they climbed higher up the cliffs and closer to Her. Closer but never touching. Casting a wanting gaze up to glistening face, Amalthea borrowed strength to continue. To speak as Adonis asked his questions.

“No.” Did she want to? Is that what She wanted?

Just as he spoke she sank. A second too late while her darker half disappeared into the thickest snow and leaving only the pale back of hers exposed. Shoulders shivered as she giggled into the snow - even she had a sense of humour and found the fun in this little harmless incident. Rising her head from the depths of the snow, white falling from her nose while gazing up at Adonis for a moment before attempting to rise despite the literal sinking feeling of her paws into its depths. “A little too late I'm afraid.” She chuckled lightly.

But this was indeed it. The moment for laughter and lightness faded while she pardoned herself to step forward, a silent plea with a dip of her head as she crouched down and away past Adonis to stand on the edge of this side of the world. For as far as her pale eyes could see. “I've arrived.” She whispers before tossing a ghostly gaze over her slender shoulder to the man who was so kind to walk her here. The snow that clung to her darkest points faded into her back. Blending into a new canvas unlike before. “You may join me in prayer if you wish.” 

A simple invitation. One she didn't give him much time to decipher or think over before throwing her head back, chin facing the moon and she sang a melody similar to a howl - but more so a song. Letting the mountains carry her words to the heavens so She may hear her - so She may grant poor Amalthea further guidance from here. 

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Formation
10-14-2023, 03:43 AM
Her being consumed by the snow had come as no surprise to the brute, and he watched with mere indifference, though amusement was aglow within his gaze. He turned halfway away from her, face facing the peak she had asked to reach, awaiting her lead. And so she did, but he did not follow. He simply watched curiously, pondering over what she may have been doing. 

His answer came when she invited him to prayer, and the wolf's brows lifted curiously. He was not a man of faith, but he supposed he'd indulge her. He approached swiftly, coming to sit upon the snowy outcrop alongside her. 

“How will we-” He was cut off by the sudden sound of her howl, this time nearer, closer, louder. He watched in silence, eyes aglow with the light of the moon. And then his own head tilted back, and his warm vox filtered into the night sky, brassy howl followed by the wisp of his cold breath. 

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
11-06-2023, 07:40 PM
At first she was alone.

Singing her own song to the great star in the sky. To the thing that pulled and push the tides, mostly forgotten by her night walking kin. Within moments however Adonis joined. His deep chorus complimenting hers as their breaths rose into the frosted air in unison. His much larger than hers, but their song barely echoed as it escaped the peaks and into the heavens where they belonged.

Seconds felt like minutes but soon enough she was done. Letting the song quickly vanish as soon as it began, uncaged by the mountains and only toward Her as it should be.

Turning back to Adonis, with the moon now behind her, lighting up the girl's pale back. “Thank you. This kindness won't be forgotten. I should go before overstaying my welcome.” Letting her head fall slightly below her shoulders, Amalthea wanted to demonstrate with words and posture just how much this kindness meant to a wanderer like she.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top