Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
This Is What It Sounds Like, When Doves Cry

Sunrise Snow
P
Adventurer
10-07-2023, 11:05 PM
Back dated to September 18!

After letting @Quicksilver know that she would take a little walk, the Empress found herself at the near by lake she hadn't seen yet until today. It reminded her of the frozen lake that had once been near but not quite the same. This one was darker than the last even if the ice seemed just as thick and safe to walk upon. The way the sun's light glistened off of the ice as it slowly climbed above the squat mountains near by was beautiful and the restless woman was able to soak in the sight as she rested those weary paws of hers by sitting on the edge of the frozen lake.

She was heavy with their newest litter, and so had asked Haruki to join her on this walk. They would just go a little beyond their borders, not far, just to stretch her legs. The prince was happy to do so, already concerned that his mother had even thought about leaving their borders in her current state - but honoured she trusted him enough to accompany her now. The prince had given her some space as they arrived, he had wandered off out of sight but within earshot to find some herbs she had requested of him.

Where she sat she would enjoy the warmth of the rising sun on her face, warming her engorged belly that squirmed with new life just days away from their delivery. It felt like a hug from every angle, a comfort like none other.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
Adventurer
10-11-2023, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2023, 08:55 AM by Toska. Edited 4 times in total.)
@Reiko <3

After her fateful encounter with the dark-furred man, Toska had decided to wander closer to the distant mountain range she had seen at the lake. She now realized how alone she was without Maroš or her family and decided it best to try and survive on her own. Tos could not bring herself to ask if she could stay with Beck or if he could join her in her newfound freedom. She did not want to burden him with her presence or hold him back from his own journey. She would never forgive herself for doing such a thing.

The girl was pulled from her thoughts by the haunting songs of loons in the distance. Though their songs often disturbed others, she found tranquility in them. They were a sign that she was home, happily tucked away in her den overlooking a lake. But no matter how much this place looked like her home, it just wasn't.

Toska began to pick up her speed as she came closer, the loon song now clear in her ears. All her worries seemed to drift away, silenced by the serenity of the lake. Her eyes slowly closed as she took in the song and soft scents that wafted from the surrounding trees. It seemed once again that she was not alone. But their scent was warm and pleasant. It only added to the peace she felt in this place.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 71310911_Ibsjec0US3G6Bd3.png]
"common" · "polish" · 3-3-3
Adventurer
10-12-2023, 03:36 PM
The soft song of a loon echoed through the frozen landscape and echoed off the mountain walls that surrounded the waters before her. A haunting song, but beautiful all the same. One she could only imagine was filled with a strange beautiful sorrow. It spoke to her in a spiritual way. As though her own heart had sung such a thing when seeking her lost children in the first year of their arrival to these lands. One of hopeful mourning.

Thinking this and the distant son of hers somewhere beyond her sight were the only companions she had today, Reiko was taken aback when another approached and only spotted through her peripherals on the rocky shores. The black digit at the end of her snout twitched as she sniffed through the frosty air to try and pick apart this stranger... a young girl, and a loner at that. Earthen greys and other pale colours complimented her figure - she must be roughly the same size as @Hotaru judging from this distance.

Mustering up some courage she called out softly. “Greetings.” Not wanting to let the traumas of her past year or two strain her relations with possible pleasant strangers, but there was a definite conservative tune in her melodic voice these days. Despite the uncertainty, she mustered a smile.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-17-2023, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2023, 08:59 AM by Toska. Edited 3 times in total.)
The girl had been so caught up in the sounds of the lake that she hadn't paid much attention to her surroundings. Maroš had always made sure she was safe. But now that she was without her suitor, Toska knew she would have to learn to survive. And God, she was afraid to do so. How long would it take her to learn how to live?

At the soft call of another, Toska jumped, head whipping around to locate the owner. "Przepraszam! Czy to twoja ziemia?" She gulped before dipping her head. It didn't seem that the alabaster stranger knew her language, yet she replied in her natal tongue. Foolish girl. "I apologize if I have trespassed." Toska quickly called, her gaze flicking from the stranger to the lake. There would be no place for her to run and hide. She would need to grow up like Papa and Mama would want.

Toska mustered up some courage and slowly approached what she now realized was a woman. "H-hello, Miss." She hummed, dipping her head in greeting. Sage eyes darted to the woman's very swollen belly. Her head fell to the side, trying to understand why she looked this way. Had she eaten too much? Was she, pregnant? Toska could not quite understand it at all, her mind wondering how she came to be in her current state. Mama had never explained how a mother became one. Toska could only assume pups were a gift from the Gods. "You are a, matka?" She asked softly, trying to not upset or offend the woman.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-17-2023, 01:31 PM
The other's surprise had caused her own anxiety to spike. She jumped lightly at the strange words being exclaimed - but her fears smoothed over pretty quickly seeing just how equally, if not more, frightened the girl was. Even smiling sweetly when an apology was uttered. “These lands do not belong to me, no apology is necessary.” Hopefully this would reassure the anxious girl. Even in Tsukiishi, although they were more cautious these days after Kuhn, the Empress didn't wish to rule it with an iron fist and be seen a cruel to those who wander in accidentally.

After all, there were many who just appeared out of thin air. Who was she to punish those who were placed there by some odd power?

Not moving while the nervous girl approached, afraid that if she even breathed the girl would flee in fear. This one reminded Reiko of herself in her younger years. Shy, nervous, alone. Of course Reiko was a little more adventurous after a while, greeting strangers and giving them all the benefit of the doubt - but that too failed her after a while. Not all were kind to strangers, and many's cruelty would leave visual and mental scars.

“Reiko.” She'd correct gently, preferring her name over common tongue honorifics especially in neutral lands like these. Furthering her curiosity of this girl, the fern eyed one spoke again in a language unknown to the ice queen, forcing her head to tilt to one side as though it would help any. She could only take a few cues with those same eyes wandering to her swollen and heavy belly. With a gentle smile, she'd follow the stranger's gaze down and place a paw on the rounded lower abdomen. “This will be my third litter.” There was pride there. “Would you like a closer look?”

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-17-2023, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2023, 09:00 AM by Toska. Edited 3 times in total.)
The woman's kindness eased her fears and silenced her mother's scoldings. Toska was not in danger here. At her words, Toska perked up. "This is not your land? But you look like it's queen!" She yipped, round eyes taking in how the sunlight made her fur look like a halo. An angel in the presence of a mortal. Toska was in awe of the woman.

Toska slowly came closer to the woman, nose wriggling in an attempt to find another. There was no way this woman traveled alone. She was far too beautiful and precious to do so, especially in her condition.

"Miss Reiko." She hesitantly repeated the femme's name, her tongue unaccustomed to such a name. It was foreign, but beautiful nonetheless. She quite liked the sound of Reiko's name. Toska's lips curved into a slight smile, a sign of her trust in the woman. She was no longer afraid of the angel. "I am Toska."

"Th-third?" She squeaked in surprise. Toska could not fathom having one litter, but three? "My mama could only have one." She mumbled before eventually sitting down beside the alabaster woman. At the sound of her inquiry, Toska lifted wide eyes to look at the femme. "R-really? You'd let me?" She blinked, maw parted with a gasp of shock. Tos lowered to her belly and slowly crawled towards Reiko's plump belly, nose ghosting over the pale flesh. While she'd never voice it aloud, Toska had wondered what it would be like to be a mother. Plump with unborn children and a loving husband at her side. But she knew better than to dream of something so unattainable.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-23-2023, 01:20 PM
The woman couldn't help but smile at the claim Toska made. She looked like a queen, and Reiko's heart fluttered at the sound. Never had she thought of herself so highly, just a leader looking to keep what was hers safe - even if such a thing had been close to impossible through the years. Was mama watching? Was she proud of her daughter who was now seen as more than just a naive little princess who followed after her mother's skirt? “Funny you say...” She paused, letting a little laugh escape. “Not these lands, but one near by. I am their Empress.” A little dip of her brow, tilting her chin toward the locks of her chest - she was bashful but smiling with pinkish hues coming through on her muzzle.

“I will take this as the largest compliment I have received yet.” Expressing such, that plush tail of hers wiggled to life for a moment.

Seeing the excitement of the young Toska at the offer to take a closer look at her swollen belly all the Empress could do was nod. The warmth of the other by her side was felt. Truly Toska reminded Reiko of herself. Already she wished to keep the evils she had come across during her lonesome travels away from the bright eyed Toska. To shelter her from the troubles Reiko had gone through herself by trusting the wrong individuals lacking the guidance she had so desperately needed.

Lifting a protective arm away from her belly she'd grant some access for Toska to observe. “My mother as well only had one litter. My sister and I.” Odd to think she had now given the world more children than her wise mother had, as well as outlived the Queen that birthed her by years. “They should be ready any day now, I suspect next week... If you watch closely you can see them move around.” Such a strange sight she was certain a young woman like Toska might see, the bumps wriggling around under skin like welcomed parasites.

“Do you travel with your mother?”

The gentle prodding began. Was poor Toska alone? or just waiting for her companion, or companions to arrive and pick her up?

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-24-2023, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2023, 09:02 AM by Toska. Edited 3 times in total.)
Toska could not help the smile that appeared in response to the angel's own. Reiko's kindness was infectious and calming all at the same time. Tos did not feel as if it was forced or if the woman had taken pity on her but was just pure kindness. But at Reiko's words, Tos' eyes widened into saucers. "Empress?! Is that not higher than a queen?" The woman's tinkling laughter only made her jaw drop. An angel and and empress? Oh, it seemed the Fates smiled down on the alabaster woman.

"We are the same." She smiled, her tail sweeping the stone beside her. She felt comfortable with Reiko and truly enjoyed this chance encounter. She knew that if she hadn't forced herself to walk, she may have never met the angel. "T-They move?!" She squeaked as she dropped her head onto her paws. And true to her word, the skin of Reiko's stomach moved. Toska looked up to the empress with eyes full of awe. Toska could only wonder about the day it'll be her turn to have her children.

At Reiko's inquiry, Toska felt her smile fade. "Oh, no." She trailed off, her gaze turning to study her pale paws. "I met a kind man when I awakened here, but I didn't ask if I could stay with him." Tos couldn't bring herself to meet Reiko's kind eyes. She didn't want to see that pitying look that Mama had when she called her a pathetic girl. "Nikt nie chce żałosnej lalki." She muttered her mother's words under her breath. Words she knew were true.

Now in the presence of a gentler woman, Toska slowly realized how, harsh her mother was. Mama rarely showed her the kindness Reiko was showing her now. She always wanted her to be perfect, to be Papa's pretty swan. And maybe that is all she was. The pretty Wilk Swan.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-24-2023, 06:54 PM
“It is only a title.” She reassured with a smile. So sweet was this one. Titles always sounded grand. Important to a certain level, but nothing more than a job. Any could be named Queen or Empress, but to say that she trusted none other but herself to truly care for the civilians who came to her for guidance, for her children, was an understatement. It was why she was preparing her children to lead after her. Teaching them all she knew in hopes that they too could take up the mantle when ready to care for those in need.

Not be fat and pampered like most royalty seem to do when gifted a time to rule.

It was sweet none the less. The surprise and awe in Toska's eyes. “Any can gather a following and call themselves as rulers amongst their people.” Traitors too could do such a thing it seemed. Even with her support from the very beginning, they'd spit in her face and side with the enemy, calling them Chief and King of being in the moral right only to turn their backs on those they had sworn to protect.

Before she could answer the shock on the little ones moving in their mother's belly, spotting the little legs kicking around that were endearing as much as they were uncomfortable to feel. “It is strange, is it not?” She smiled playfully through a whisper, leaning down to speak and offering a bright toothy grin as though she had just told a grand secret.

Then more came and her smile fell. Alone. The Empress paused. Listening to words that were foreign to her but she could hear the pain it brought. “Toska.” Uttering her name as softly as Reiko could. Beckoning her attention to lead away from self-deprecation, a sight that Reiko knew all too well from a reflection in the waters. “Would you like to come with me? None so sweet as yourself should be alone.”

the staff team luvs u
10-28-2023, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2023, 09:04 AM by Toska. Edited 2 times in total.)
Toska's ears descended slightly at Reiko's words. But it is not just a title. Toska knew that better than anyone. The Wilks were, something, in their homeland and Toska quickly learned the value of a title. It was nothing to brush away or disparage. But the sweet swan would never tell a soul of her past, there was no need to. "You are right." She replied, lips upturned with a slight smile. There was no need to disagree with the angel.

Olive eyes flickered between the earth and the woman. Her words were wise, laced with experience. Reiko knew things, things Toska would never bring herself to ask. Perhaps the two had more in common than they thought. Maybe they were both victims of power-hungry people, those willing to slit their throats if it meant they could have a crown. "Ja wiem. Wiem to bardzo dobrze." She murmured, more to herself than a reply to the alabaster angel.

A memory that had tried to resurface disappeared into the dark sea of her mind at the sound of Reiko's whisper. Toska mirrored the smile that appeared on Reiko's face, her eyes alit with wonder. "Niesiesz dar życia." Toska hummed as she lightly touched one of the small paws with her nose. She drew back in amazement when the paw pushed back. The gift of life.

At Reiko's words, rounded eyes lifted to meet her cerulean ones. Rei, Reiko wanted her to go with her? "T-truly? You, you would..." She trailed off, turning her watery eyes to the ground. Reiko had shown her sincere kindness and now opened her door to her—a complete stranger. But Toska knew she'd be safer with Reiko and her family. She would no longer have to worry about danger or not having a place to sleep. She, she had a place to call home. "Thank you, Reiko." She whispered as she lightly pressed her head under the woman's chin. She had a home again.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
11-02-2023, 07:15 PM
The conversation took a bit of a sour turn but trying to be supportive Reiko continued to smile faintly. Fearing that if she let it fade too much, Toska would feel uncomfortable and forced to change the subject. “Someday you'll have to teach me this language of yours; and I can teach you mine.” A gentle nudge that even if she couldn't understand or reply to whatever Toska was saying, she was listening. Wishing she could reply whatever was concerning the mourning dove before her.

Swallowing a laughter from escaping her maw, one of the soon to be children kicked at Toska when she went in to check the puppy bakery. Instead of shock as most reacted when seeing it for the first time, Toska seemed amazed. Truly they were cut from the same cloth. Reiko could only hope that her anxiety hailed from a place of uncertainty in this new world, and not from past traumas.

Humming her answer “Mhm.” Regardless where that anxiety came from, Reiko would fix it now. Fix it. Even if history had told her over and over again some things cannot be fixed, and this may be one as well... but just as the times prior to this, she would try. “It would be my pleasure.” With a little struggle to rise back up to her feet, she waited for the dove to follow. “My eldest son should return soon. He's a little rough around the edges but kind. Once he returns we can go home.”

Hopefully Haruki wouldn't scare her away, Reiko laughed at the thought. The boy had such a harsh expression. Still she clung to the belief he would grow out of it even if it didnt seem possible anymore.

the staff team luvs u
11-05-2023, 06:49 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2023, 09:05 AM by Toska. Edited 3 times in total.)
Noticing how Reiko's smile faded, Toska felt the intense sting of guilt. She hadn't meant to offend or hurt her feelings; Toska just understood that titles were always more than a title. They meant something. But Toska could tell Reiko had a greater understanding of the world, of the dangers lurking in every corner. And the swan had no right to disagree with her. At the mention of her mother tongue, the young girl perked up. A bright smile appeared as she quickly nodded. "I would love to teach you Polish! And what is your language called, Miss Reiko?" Her tail swished over the ground, sending snow in either direction.

Her round eyes lifted to Reiko's azure gaze, and for the first time in a long time, she felt wanted. Reiko reminded her of her sister. While Bozena was more outspoken and adventurous, Reiko had a similar spirit. Toska could feel it in the way she carried herself and in the manner in which she spoke. They were refined ladies, and Toska was nothing more than a doll. But God, she wished she could be like them.

"I am grateful for your kindness, Reiko." Toska lightly brushed her head against the woman's shoulder before falling in step beside her. "Your son?" She tilted her head, verdant eyes on the woman. We can go home. She had a home again. Toska's lips quirked at the thought. She no longer needed to worry about having a place to sleep or people who wanted to harm her. She was safe.

But Toska couldn't help the sharp tingles of guilt that arose once again. Was she turning her back on her family? Was she now forsaking the Wilk name to join Reiko's family? Was she rejecting her newfound friends by accepting Reiko's offer?

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
11-15-2023, 07:02 PM
Polish! How interesting. “I have travelled a lot in my youth, and never have I heard Polish. It is lovely.” Two languages was hard enough to juggle, but would always be willing to try and learn a new one if it opened up new doors for her loved ones and Shiroshika as a whole! The less likely a language barrier would cause problems, the better it was for them all. “My native tongue is Nihongo, commonly known as Japanese to non-speakers.” Clearly she was pleased to talk about hers and Toska's culture as her tail swayed lazily throughout it all.

And seeing how the dusting of snow behind Toska flew as well, she too was equally pleased. The girl didn't look like any warrior, nor would Reiko ask - but she would be welcomed regardless. Perhaps through sheer numbers alone they could intimidate any further troublesome visitors should history repeat itself. No more bloodshed. A dream that so far seemed to be becoming a reality.

The touch was welcomed. Reiko pressed her cheek against the top of Toska's head while brushing against her shoulder. Kindness - something she felt others rarely saw her lately with the slander and rumors that went around thanks to Kuhn and Valmua's lies and games. She would say nothing on the matter for now, opting to tell Toska about the pack's past so she along with any others were aware to be weary should those two come around again. But that was for another day. Toska needed food and rest.

“Mhm.” Her eyes wandered to the side of their path as though lost in some kind of dream. “He and Hotaru must be perhaps a year older than yourself.” Judging by appearances. “We've all been through so much, so they may not come off all too friendly.” Pallid ears flattened against her crown apologetically, cerulean eyes finding their way back to Toska. “I apologize in advance.” Knowing it was she who raised them, ultimately, it was her fault if they were cold to strangers. Rightfully so, as their mother blamed no one but herself for it all. “But I promise their hearts are kind.”

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top