Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Moth to a flame

Morning Sunny/Clear
AW
Adventurer
09-30-2023, 08:50 PM
Confusion. It plagued the wolf of the shadows, brought him to his knees. Disoriented, he was. From his knees, the collapsed wolf made several failed attempts to push himself up to his paws until finally he succeeded; a quiet, yet audible, grunt of effort like a white flag waved through the air. Tyrgrim's amber eyes glared through the depths of the warm redwood, ears alert to the distant, and yet near, sound of a trickling, flowing water source. 

His lips smacked together, tongue sliding across his shiny yellowed teeth. Cotton mouth. 

The assassin gathered what little bearings home to him and began a cautious, ample walk forwards. The territory around him was thick with the scents of several different wolves, home to a pack by the smell of it. With each hefty step, he grew closer to the water source, almost stumbling his way through the plentiful brush that surrounded it. As he leaned down, he gratefully lapped at the pristine water, threatening to inhale the entirety of the rippling creek. 

Only when he had drank his fill did he lift his head up once more, looking to catch a greater understanding of the region he'd awoken in. Where was he, and how did he get here? He remembered nothing but faint flashes of memories; the clashing of teeth, vague splatters of blood, and... the cold embrace of death. 

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
Trieweborne
10-02-2023, 07:56 PM
technically away until after thursday for a final but grabbing this so I don't forget! rusty and quick so apologize if this is worded weird

It had been quiet since Calhoun re-secured his home. Quiet since the High Elk spoke so loudly. It was a good thing, especially while their numbers were small. He felt fortunate to have as many true believers as he did, compared to his mother's reign. Those wolves had never been true apostles, just followers of her and her lies. He patrolled daily, following south-western edge as well as those bordered by the sea. It was nice to only have one true section to secure from trespassers, but that would not stop him from being thorough of the land within their walls. The High Elk had dropped wolves before him as close as Applecrest...should he do the same within their claim, then they might have issues should that potential wolf shun their ways.

And unfortunately it seemed today was the day his safe haven would be tested. The scent picked up suddenly, dropped into place unless the noteworthy trail of an intentional trespasser, and soon enough the shift of mahogany was noticed alongside his eager thirst. Calhoun studied him while he was still a shadow, not a speck of blight tarnished his pelt. Truly blessed...so much so he was reminded of Warwick. Where his brother went, he'd never know. Perhaps he too was captivated by their mother's lies. Once his...guest had finished drinking, Cal stepped forward with heavy steps, intentional and unnatural of his usual gate to alert the other as he neared. You seem lost, friend. A term of endearment, even if there was no familiarity to his words. There was one thing he had taken from his mother and it was his preference to solve things with words, unlike the brute he had no pleasure to call a father. Do not be alarmed by my words, but I would not run. This land is claimed. There is no need for hostilities, I'm sure you did not intend to tread.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-06-2023, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2023, 10:53 AM by Tyrgrim. Edited 4 times in total.)
sorry for the late reply!! i forgot to set my notifs to pm so i didnt notice your reply until i checked his account <3

The interruption had been sudden, one the wolf surely had not been expecting. The lands around had been quiet 'till now, undisturbed, truly at peace. Tyrgrim had listened to the chirping of birds, singing their songs of clarity. The voice which spoke drew the wolf from his ponderings, bringing his gaze flitting upwards, resting upon the poised frame of the one who approached. Tyrgrim's hackles, despite the other masculine's lack of hostility, came to a bristling raise; the brutus took a step back from the stream he'd drank from, casting an eye of suspicion upon the red furred one. 

“Lost, I believe, would be an understatement.” His reply came swift, it was biting, but not with the intentions of being rude. It was simply blunt, to the point, calloused. His tone was of a husky rasp, deeply accented and belonging to that of a wolf from far away, foreign to these lands -- as foreign as foreign could possibly be. 

Tyrgrim listened to his next words with instinctive attentiveness, ears perked, flicking every so often in acknowledgement. I see. He thought to himself. He stirred, dark pelt of an array of fragmenting browns aglow beneath the warm sun, the shattering light through the canopies of trees scattering as the branches and leaves blew softly. “My nose was not blind to the smell of wolves, no.” Tyrgrim nodded, shifty gaze still peering quietly upon the other. “This pack...” He paused, nose twitching. 

“Is perhaps recruiting?” He questioned. 

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-09-2023, 07:48 PM
He bristled at his words, but that seemed to be common now. So long as he hid his fangs, others tend to come around. Calhoun's brows lifted so slightly at the inquiry. It was usually him who put the proposition of joining at wolf's paws, but even with interest, it did not mean he belonged. It is...for those sent by Him. The elken man tilted his head, watching for this man's reaction. It was a more than vague introduction to the High Elk, but one that was enough if he was to be deemed "crazy" for following some higher power. An introduction would be more appropriate first, don't you think?

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-15-2023, 06:41 AM
For those sent by Him. 

This wolf got stranger and stranger by the minute. Tyrgrim watched him, no, eyed him; he watched for the slightest change in expression, the faintest twitch of a muscle. If the stranger wolf made to do anything out of the ordinary, he would be ready. 

Tyrgrim's expression revealed nothing, his amber eyes that of flickering candle lights. “Mind elaborating?” He muttered in regards to this mysterious 'Him'. 

“You have got me there.” Tyrgrim rasped in reply to the brute's next spoken words, jaws parting as he inhaled a quick breath. “Tyrgrim is what my mother named me. And you are?” It was only customary he receive a name in return. 

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-23-2023, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2023, 06:56 PM by Calhoun. Edited 2 times in total.)
It was natural for someone to be curious, especially while Calhoun did no favors being vague. It was all for His protection, though. One too many times His path had almost been strayed and buried, but not anymore. He was presented with two options as Tyrgrim offered an introduction. He could lie, give the name his father deemed, or be honest. This man did not seem to be a danger though, and ideally, they would walk the same path together...He didn't need to consider it long, Calhoun. Some might say King, but the title is not necessary. His lip curled in a lopsided smile as if he had just shared a joke, or maybe it was one to him. Crowns meant nothing in his eyes unless it was the crown of the High Elk. Tell me, Tyrgrim. Do you have any values? Beliefs? Would you be willing to follow a path led by something other than a wolf? Something higher. If so, then there may be such a path I can offer.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-25-2023, 04:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2023, 04:04 AM by Tyrgrim. Edited 1 time in total.)
Ah. Tyrgrim nodded at the other's introduction, taking his name in stride. And the... title that accompanied it. Tyr was more of the quiet nature and resigned to saying nothing (though had forced an attempt at a laugh in response to Calhoun's apparent joke) as the wolf continued speaking, listening attentively, ears twitching the only giveaway that he even bothered to pay attention. What he said proved to be interesting, at the very least, intriguing. Tyrgrim had long since settled onto his haunches, recognizing this would be a bit of a lengthy process. 

“Values... beliefs.” Tyrgrim's paw raised, flicking casually as a show that he didn't care much for those. That was not to say he wasn't open. At the rate his day was going, he was pretty much open to anything. “Never had 'em, never needed them.” He huffed, but opened his mouth to speak again, interjecting his own speech. “But sure, what you're offerin' up sounds up my alley.” Anything was up his alley. 

“Is this 'Him' a deity?”

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-25-2023, 05:39 AM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2023, 05:40 AM by Calhoun.)
Hmmm.

Tyrgrim did not seem bothered either which way by his implications, nor did he seem to hold anything to heart now. A blank slate, more or less, or so he hoped. There was always the chance that he would be uninterested in holding any belief, let alone His, but as Calhoun so painfully reminded himself, it was not his place to decide. Yes, that would be one word for it. He, or the High Elk, is a kind soul. He has blessed my family and provides for us, so long as we protect His apostles. I do not wish to overwhelm you from the start if you take interest in following His path, but there is much to learn before you would be considered one of His.

Fortunately, he was not alone. Most of Trieweborne were new to his path. The only outsider to fully fall in his light had been @Asena, but he hoped for more to follow in her wake. Not all of us have been born into this life. You would not be alone in learning His ways. Fortunately, it seems you are already favored in His light— your pelt. Calhoun nodded his head towards the man's chest before holding a paw to his own. You and I are alike in that way. We reflect the colors of His apostles. It is considered His blessing.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-26-2023, 07:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2023, 07:24 AM by Tyrgrim.)
'His Path.' He couldn't help the way his eyes ever so slightly widened to the sudden divulging of information, which happened to be... quite a bit. His ears flicked unsure, even laid thinly against his rounded head at one point, amber eyes a mix of uncertainty and intrigue. Tyrgrim could only wonder what kind of bizarre shit he'd landed himself in, and yet at the same time, the opportunity it presented him. He was a loner, but there was strength in numbers; a common fact. It was the nature of his kind to group, to form familial units. 

“Ah.” He spoke thinly. “I would be willing, yes.” He hardly had time to chew the words and digest them before he spoke. Offering himself up to a cult... that wasn't inherently on his bucket list, but neither was anything else that had occurred in his life over the past moon or so. It'd been event after event, until the final reckoning came. And now here he was. 

The news that Tyrgrim was favored, well, it did fluff his ego a bit. Tyrgrim's eyes dropped to give himself the once over, as if he'd almost gotten what he looked like. He was dark of pelt from head to toe, the only trace of light the flash upon his chest; his gaze returned to Calhoun and he then found himself eyeing up him. They were one in the same, eh? Tyrgrim's face shifted from sour to something more jovial then, a hesitant smile creeping upon his maw. “Never been favored before, guess I have a one up then.” Tyrgrim rose to his paws, giving his pelt a brisk shake. “Where do I begin?”

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-26-2023, 06:44 PM
Calhoun never liked sharing much with outsiders, even if they might be loyal to Him. The silence that surrounded his words, Tyrgrim's movements as he shifted and considered what he had to offer, weighed heavy with each passing second until he found a light. Something shifted and the man even managed a shy smile. It made his own widen as a wave of relief washed over him.

A tour more likely suits your interest, at least for now. I'll keep the history brief while we walk and have you settled. For now, all you need is to heed His word and provide where you can. If you feel that this is indeed the path for you, then we can discuss your trial. There was no question directed his way, but Cal would give the other a look almost urging him to speak if something weighed his mind. If no questions came, then he would turn and lead the way through Tyrgrim's new home.

can probably end this here? if you want more lessons ic feel free to tag for a thread! cal would go over the stuff on the pack page while they tour

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top