Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
I was listenin' to the ocean

Sunrise Partly Cloudy 74° F
P
08-16-2023, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2023, 06:29 PM by Eloise. Edited 1 time in total.)

It felt like the same exact path as a couple weeks ago – at this point, Eloise was convinced that she was going in circles.

It had been so many months since waking up in these lands. So much has changed and much of her youth has fled the dame by now. Ellie already come to terms with the fact that her brother was gone for good, but what hurt the most was how alone she’d felt after all this time. What started of as a journey of freedom had the young woman wishing she wasn’t so free anymore. That, at the very least, there would be someone to take up space beside her and keep her company – but there was no one.

Eloise didn’t know where home was anymore, and now she was forced into a world of solitude.

In the golden glade the young sparrow arrived last night; a place to rest ‘til dawn came. Sunlight peeked through her darkened lashes and by the time they fluttered back open dawn cracked through a sheet of clouds. Raising her head from between her paws, her fern washed gaze watched the sky lazily in wait of what was to come…

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 64520272_FFabz30KUt4zFts.png]
Visionary
08-16-2023, 06:32 PM
The herd seemed to have settled down in their motherland and Aldritch felt comfortable to roam once more. To depart from their borders and seek out more followers to share Him with. Carefully placing his crown upon his head, the gift from the High Elk only felt right as he was once more on a crusade to find more to follow His path. Though their colours would make them more blessed than Aldritch himself, he was certain that his continued devotion would grant him further into His light when the time comes.

He had been gone for a few days now. He should have told @Calhoun about this little adventure, but he was certain his brother had faith in the shadow apostle's devotion to return. It was lonely without he Elk, they didn't speak to him nor did they communicate in any way, but the silence was different now... deafening, and he was yearning to return home as soon as the glade opened up to water, signaling the end of this particular travel.

A sigh. It means he failed. Failed to bring back home any new apostles to save, to worship Him as He deserved.

Turning his back to the water he wandered away. Stomach growling something fierce but gone ignored out of habit. With his head parallel to the ground, he was taken aback and nearly fell on his rump when a face popped out from the tall grasses. “Ah!” Not really a manly exclamation, and initially he was furious at the sudden appearance... only to soften behind the mask and lower his head from a short distance to meet her gaze. “E-Eloise?” He recognized her, that girl back at the edge of the world.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: fornoki_widget_trade.gif]
08-16-2023, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2023, 07:16 PM by Eloise. Edited 1 time in total.)

BLOODY–! The woman had nearly jumped out of her own fur at the sound of a near high-pitched scream.

The surprise appearance, too, startled and nearly caused her to fumble to her feet and pace off. Had she been too sleep-drunk to hear the footfalls of another nearby, perhaps, but the least the could’ve done was be more obvious about it! Who on earth walked that quietly anyway-

Her perturbed gaze stared for a few seconds – the blur of morning’s wake making it a bit difficult. That was, until a picture of two became one again; she couldn't believe what – no, who she’d been looking at at first. It had been so long since she saw the gentle pair of peach hazed eyes that reminded her of the very sky that currently surrounded them. Al….

Aldritch….

Aldritch!

Her lips did not open to say more – to ask what he’d been doing there or where he has been. His presence before her was all the brunette needed to be satisfied. At once, she scrambled to her feet and dashed towards him excitedly – too excitedly. She did not stop when her forepaws reached out in an attempt to hug him.

Aldritch, you’re here!

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-16-2023, 07:21 PM
That muscle in his chest pounded faster than ever before. He had been in many perilous situations, but now, a mere jump scare is what gets his heart beating? Or was there something more there that he was oblivious to? It was such a foreign feeling that he was choking back the need to vomit the liquid that sat in his belly, empty, but that's what bile was for.

Thinking she wouldn't remember him, his tail swayed and brushed the grasses at the mention of his name. Only Calhoun really seemed to care to think of him, and now, he could add Eloise to that very short list. It felt nice - and he only yelped which was cut off by her arms reaching out for him. Briefly he thought he would be wounded - that was the only reason why many would even touch him since his birth - but the comfort she offered instead was warm. It was nice. He nearly melted at the moment of affection, starved for it without realizing.

With a hum and a nod. “And so are you.” Still he was in disbelief. He was awkward, was it traditional for him to return the gesture she offered? “You look well, even with the shifting of lands. I'm happy to see it.” Was his lack of social skills showing? “What were you doing in the grass?”

the staff team luvs u
08-16-2023, 08:01 PM
The moment where she’d embraced him felt like a weight had been lifted from her shoulders. Ellie had even taken the time to lean her crown into the side of his neck and breathe in his scent – it was really him! She didn’t care if they’d only met once – it was one of the only moments from back then where she’d been able to make a friend who was willing to keep her company. The warmth in her belly and pattering of her heart hadn’t gone unnoticed, but it felt pleasant; it felt right. For a moment she could only close her eyes and sigh while she indulged in the shared warmth.

–until he spoke, and snapped her back into reality.

Ah–yeah! I guess I am. she sputtered with a sheepish smile, slowly allowing her forepaws to touch the earth again along with her gaze, which trailed to her paws in a bit of embarrassment. Gosh, El’s cheeks felt like they’d been on fire. The shift in lands was…strange but, I’ve managed thankfully. Managed…wandered aimlessly….lost by heart…

Her olive eyes traveled back up to him with warmth, watery, too, from the bit of emotion that welled up in her. You look well, too, how have you been? It had been a while. Ellie was sure they had much to catch up on. She used a paw to wipe away a stray tear that ran down her cheek with a nervous laugh.

I’m sorry if I'm acting like a big baby, I’m far too old for this now! I’ve just.....missed you so much…

the staff team luvs u
08-16-2023, 10:14 PM
After spending all of his adolescence with the Elk, not only did he lack social skills but also the knowledge of what it meant to be an adult wolf in any way. What feelings could come as soon as they were adults, or even before this. The warm sensation that glowed from within was strange but not unwelcomed either. The boy chalked it up to the attention he was getting from someone who wasn't not only not family, but someone who was a complete outsider with the blessed pelt from Him. It was dizzying and he had a hard time keeping his usual composure.

She leaned in with her head against his and Aldritch nearly fainted right there and then. Legs barely able to keep his spindly frame up with a rush of blood to the dark boy's face. She smelled nice too. Still he couldn't help but smile.

“I am... better. I reunited with some family, I have a home now. A real one.” He sighed, already missing the closeness as she backed away to speak; but also glad that he had some good news to share. It felt right. “You... Missed me? Those foreign words nearly made him cry now forget about her own emotions. Behind him his tail didn't stop swaying like an overzealous pendulum. Even with his fatigued appearance he brightened up, posture straightening for the first time in what felt like an eternity as though wind was blown back into his tattered sails.

the staff team luvs u
08-17-2023, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2023, 02:57 PM by Eloise. Edited 1 time in total.)
He was reunited with family and had even made a home for himself – which was always good to hear. He’d been happy too, hopefully. At least he seemed that way. She wondered if he still led the herd he’d shown her so many moons ago, and if his passion to protect them still lingered. It had still been a foreign concept for a wolf to be following a herd of deer, but Aldritch made it happen – and Eloise always admired that about him.

Of course I’ve missed you dork. she said with a chuckle, a tail swaying behind her like a feather amongst the winds. Ellie thought his question was a bit silly, though would write it off as good-old reunion euphoria. Then again…her laughter would quell and replace itself with a more hopeful expression. Though the dame’s smile still lingered, and her eye’s met his underneath dark lashes.

Did you…miss me, too?

Only to retreat to the floor, made shy by her own question. Of course you didn’t have to, I mean, as a general question since I assumed that you remembered me thatyouwould’vekeptmeinyourthoughts- Eloise couldn’t even keep up with her own verbal diarrhea, and would instead opt to inhale and stop talking altogether. She was being overzealous here. They’d only met briefly in the past after all.

So why did the thought make her chest flutter?

Is your herd well, too? If you still follow them, that is…

the staff team luvs u
09-25-2023, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2023, 10:19 PM by Aldritch. Edited 1 time in total.)
When Eloise confirmed that she did indeed miss him, Aldritch nearly fainted on the spot. His knees felt weak as all blood rushed to his face and the world started to move without him actually moving to make it happen. He fought the desire to meet the ground and still the spinning, only to shake it off when she questioned if the feeling was mutual.

“Y-yeah of course!” he blurted. Not really smooth. But can you blame him? With little to no practice when it came to being social, he may as well still be a pup. “I mean... I don't have many friends so.” He trailed on. Not normally bothered by such a thing but right now he was rather embarrassed by it.

When Eloise mentioned his herd the boy's eyes lit up. That shadowy tail of his swaying comfortably behind. “Yes. They guided me back home. They too stay.” He took it as a sign naturally. “We had plenty of new fawns this spring. I was... honoured to be present.” Not participating in their birth of course. A heathen such as he was nor worthy of such a blessing, but from a far, he could watch the miracle happen while other predators were chased off.

the staff team luvs u
11-13-2023, 01:25 AM
His akward mannerisms stuck with him -- just as they did way back when they were yearlings. She supposed that's the reason she'd found him so endearing; he was not like the men that put on a false bravado or mask of strength just to seem all tough and show off. No -- Aldritch wore his emotions on his sleeve and wasn't afraid to let it be known that he'd missed her. Hearing the words reciprocated as such, it felt as though something in her chest melted and released something sweet.

What if I changed that? She suggested, a playful note in her voice as she danced closer towards him on dainty feet. If you wouldn't mind the extra company, that is... Eloise, too, was lacking in the freind department. It had also been far too long since her an Al had met eachother -- she would not let an opportunity like this pass by her. Hope glinted in her jade eyes that he might accept it.

His herd from before grew; though with the idea of a wolf protecting the flock it was no wonder why. Ellie admired the compassion he held for the herd and was glad they'd stuck around for so long. In a way they were similar for their love for nature.

Your home?

the staff team luvs u
11-25-2023, 10:33 PM
Peach eyes roamed the grounds and instantly rose to meet the olive hues of the girl who had so casually changed his world.

It seemed that with the absence of his wretched sinful mother, that maybe his path was finally changing for the better. That the trust he had given to Him completely had already shown to keep His promise for the better. Just as Calhoun had said. It wasn't Aldritch who was cursed and lost - he was stained with his mother's ways and through devotion he could redeem their family. The ones who follow their truest of paths.

The boy's tail swayed at the mention immediately. Even if his thoughts were wandering and running a mile a minute. He felt dizzy. He felt light as a feather! He was overwhelmed and wanted to puke. So many emotions swirled in his head and he was lost within them for better and worse. “Y-yeah?” His boyish smile was awkward, pleased.

[Image: Tod.jpg]

“Of course I don't mind!” He's been the most expressive now than he's ever been. The boy for once felt like his true self. Relaxed. Happy. Comfortable. Something he had never felt with his family, and the Elk were too sacred to be seen as "friends" or companions.

A soft hum left his lips to affirm her question about 'home'. “Do you wanna come see it? See if... maybe... idunno... if you'd like it?” Was he already asking for too much too soon? Was he overstepping a boundary when they only just took a step into the "friendzone"?

To Al the friendzone is a good thing LOL

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top