Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
la luna enamorada

Early Morning Partly Cloudy 68° F
P
Adventurer
07-29-2023, 03:51 AM

Light crashed against her eyes. "Dēva..." she'd mutter before attempting to stand up.

Success, although her bones ached. But she would not make it appear as such. If anything, this was normal for her. What she wanted to do, now, was learn where she was. The air around her was crisp, cool. She must be near the coast. But the trees...

Asena's eyes focused. Blood? No, no. It smelled deeply of sap. What an odd...yet almost enchanting feature this tree had. It was almost like it had been bleeding.

Nevermind that. Asena shook off her fur from any excess leaves, and began to walk through this forest of bleeding trees, the only thing on her mind was finding some water.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Formation
07-29-2023, 04:23 AM
It had only been a few days since returning home, but with other paws already falling into line, Calhoun felt bold enough to venture on. The wisterias he was familiar with, but there were towering trees just north of them that were unfamiliar. Or...maybe they were familiar? Not here, not by the Crown, but the way they bled reminded him of woods he once traveled. Funny...how he once ventured in search of His light. Of a place that might serve as a haven should all else fail, only for all that work to be wiped away. The paths he once knew were shuffled, and he was spat back at the start. Only...now he had no reason to go.

A blessing, he'd suppose...for what else could He possibly mean with such a gesture? The High Elk wasn't one to trick, especially those devout.

The rustle of leaves ahead paused his steps, only for a girl no older than he to catch his eye. Calhoun's eyes shamelessly scanned her pelt for marks of caution, but he'd find none. She was blessed in a wide range of His colors. Pretty, even, by Deoradhán standards. Greetings. His voice lifted with his eyes as he'd aim to meet hers. Recruiting wasn't something he was personally familiar with, but it would be criminal to not gauge the interest of someone meant for His light.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
07-29-2023, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2023, 08:14 AM by Asena. Edited 1 time in total.)
There was a musk that breached her nose. A male. Asena's ears perked, her posture straightening. She saw him then, too, draped in a light mahogany robe with eyes the color of the sap that bled from the trees.

Handsome.

"Morning," her voice dry, sharp enough to cut through the air. He seemed to be around the same age as her— quite flown from the nest they hatched from, but was he enough to stand on his two legs? Asena was enamored by strength, and her impulsive nature had her thinking about what he held beneath.

"I've seemed to..." Embarrassed, she looked around the woodland that she was in, then back to him. "Wake up here..."

She'd take a sharp inhale before finally asking. "Where is here?"

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Formation
07-29-2023, 08:40 AM
You wouldn't be the first. Even before He shifted the lands, Calhoun remembered the bold claims of sleeping wolves who found themselves somewhere new. He had never had such an experience until recently, but now there was no denying those claims. This— What was this place? This is Ripperwood. The name felt right. Maybe he had heard it on his previous journey long ago. Rather or not this place was named or if that had been correct, there was no denying it fit.

I take it you are alone then. It was hardly a question the way he said it. She smelled alone and was clearly lost. A mere calf stumbling along aimlessly into His light. Do you belong somewhere? No. She couldn't. She was brought here for a reason by Him. Though, it was only right to ask. Her loyalty would be split if she lived on what ifs or where's, and unlike his mother, Calhoun had no interest in seeing faces come and go. If she followed him, then it would be to her home too. Her family.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
07-29-2023, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2023, 09:00 PM by Asena. Edited 1 time in total.)
Asena would hum in response, repeating the name of the forest over her own tongue, "Ripperwood."

Amused at the very least, the male seemed interested in her whereabouts. Who she traveled with. She glanced towards the ground for a brief moment, a memory haunting her. Mother. Father. She had not seen them for a year— she'd always make ends on her own. Tie loose ends. It was faith that guided her to where she was, not her parents.

"Alone." She would confirm with a brief nod of her head. She'd wonder then, too, if he had been alone. If this reoccurrence of wolves waking up with no prior recollection or family... there must've been more of them, right? She couldn't possibly be the only one.

Then the stranger asked her a question. An important one. Do you belong somewhere? She did once. She couldn't remember it all very much now, but she's been alone for such a long time she was sure there isn't a lingering stench of company on her coat.

"I do not." She almost felt interrogated by him. She'd wish to return a question of her own. "What's your name?"

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Visionary
07-30-2023, 10:05 AM
Alone. Her response was parroted in a confirmation. None of them were truly alone, so long as His light could guide. It may not fill the void at her side, but she didn't need to be alone. Not anymore. What if it didn't have to be that way? The elken man's head lowered in a tilt as he gauged for a reaction. Not every wolf wanted a pack. Not every wolf would trust in Him. But that didn't mean she couldn't.

I'll share if I can have yours. The corners of his lips quirked into a faint smile. Rather or not she agreed, he'd continue in the next breath, Calhoun, humble servant of the High Elk... though I suppose most might call me King. It was laughable to insist he had such a presence, but he hardly cared about the title. In the end, he mattered no more than any other in Trieweborne. The High Elk was the true king. The title's only a formality though, Calhoun is fine.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
07-30-2023, 07:18 PM
Asena would watch the man carefully. His words were like honey, smooth to her ears, and she'd inquire more from him. "What do you mean?"

She would take a daunting step closer to him. He spoke the words servant and king. Did he expect her to drop to a knee and bow before his majesty? Life was worth far more than just that. She would have to see it with her very own eyes if he deserved to be called 'King' above all. No religion can birth a promising leader— she knew of that very well.

"Asena." She would return her own name to Calhoun. She had no qualms about sharing things about herself. Asena would narrow her eyes at him, almost a playful attitude bleeding from her own tongue. "You are a King then? Of what?"

Perhaps it should scare her that he mentioned a High Elk. She had been in a similar upbringing to that— where instead they worshiped the reining caribou population. She supposed it wasn't all that different. She preferred the taste of berries, anyways.

But would this servant of the High Elk prove to be a righteous King? She had seen a tyrant before. One lustered by the hand of their own God. Would this path drive him to a brink of insanity, too? Or would there be strength and resilience? 

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
Formation
07-31-2023, 08:05 PM
Asena. He'd commit it to memory the best he could as she grew bold with her steps. What else would I be King of? His words would jest as Calhoun threw his head over his shoulder to look in the direction of the Crown. Home. Their home, maybe. As I said, it's only a formality. My pack is family, and the only true king is Him...We aren't always blood. If that is something that interests you? A home. A family. A purpose.

I'll admit, our ways aren't exactly...traditional. We are protectors of the elk and live with them in harmony. We are permitted to eat them only if He has given his blessing, but there is plenty of other meat for us to feed ourselves. You would not be the only one learning His ways, either. Most are outsiders until they earn our name, though I expect that will be no issue for you. He has already blessed you with His light.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
08-01-2023, 01:07 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2023, 01:07 AM by Asena. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: added skill )
Ah, so this great King had a sense of humor lodged within his skin. Asena let out a chuff at his attempt of a joke, satisfied enough with his answer for the time being. He said 'home' in such a familial manner. A family. Her life, the life she wanted, flashed before her eyes. An opportunity presented itself here. Here at Calhoun's feet. "Him?"

She questioned, listening to Calhoun speak of their beliefs. So...they were bound to Elk. Similar enough, Asena's upbringing had been around the worshiping of Capreolinae. The adjustment would be minor, and her diet wouldn't be all different. Asena's disposition would change. From her rigid, unfeeling exterior, she would relax. Her eyes full with luster and intrigue as she would take careful steps to circle him. To get a closer look at this King. She would hum softly with approval.

"His light?" The girl would beckon, not fully understanding. All she wished to do was understand, and her question had been gentle. There was no hostility laden in her tone. "How often do you pray to Him?"

Her questions may seem...out of place, but as a devout herself...she desires to know just how seriously he takes this. How he views his God before she would make Him her own. Asena took worship seriously. As most critically as one could.  

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
Formation
08-01-2023, 07:03 PM
She offered little of her thoughts in return, instead opting to circle and observe while she threw some questions of her own. Calhoun made no attempt to stop her. Only fair...he'd suppose. Asena wouldn't outright shirk the idea of sparing the elk though, and that was the first hurdle. The next was Him, which she openly prodded for more. A fair smile sat on his lips while the elken man gave a subtle nod, Yes, Him. The High Elk. He is our deity and responsible for all creation. It is...a long story, but one I am willing to share in detail should you find His path.

In short, He gives His blessing and protection to wolves of similar coloring. Those who betray Him have their descendants stained with white until they can prove their devotion again. We call this being stripped of His light, or stained for short. Fortunately for both of them, there was not a single blight to be found. As for prayer, every breath. Not directly, maybe, but everything good comes from Him, and for that I give my thanks. I can only repay Him so much, and so I do what I can and try to guide wolves down His path.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
08-01-2023, 07:51 PM
As he would talk, she would listen. Without a second thought, her mind had been focused on him. Concentrated. The only noise in her ears was his voice. There was more to know about the deity, but she supposed she would get her own taste of enlightenment if she chose this path. Asena would wonder then how many have quickly fallen weak to his words. "How many? Followers, I mean. Would we be strong?"

He'd speak more to the colorism. She'd raise her head with an acknowledgement that she heard him. So, white wolves were the enemy it seems, then? Stained by their sins. She could see it. She understood it. She could imagine herself pursuing it.

It was then that he spoke to his degree of prayer. She'd hum as she'd make a full circle around him, taking note of his physique. He was fit. Suited for leadership— not too frail and not too large to hinder any progress. Asena was thorough. She cared about the meticulous details that were presented before her. He looked as if he had a scar, a notch on his ear. A battle, perhaps. He knew how to fight.

"You are devout," she'd confirm, meeting him face to face once more. "It is most admirable of you, Calhoun."

With a breath and no hesitation in her words. "I suppose you can take me home then."

the staff team luvs u
08-03-2023, 05:05 AM
He never once seemed to lose her interest. In fact, she only grew more curious, watching him as she circled, analyzing as he continued. He did not bother tracking her while she moved. His father had not been a great man, but he had prepared him for many battles, including the unexpected. She didn't threaten him, though, and Calhoun doubted she would attack.

Numbers do not equal strength. That much had been proven under his mother's guidance. All those members and they were frail, useless, resource drains. I take value over number. So to answer your question, we may not have many, but we are not useless. We are strong. And I will ensure it stays that way as we grow. He spoke with plurals in regard to those who had already agreed to join him, but Cal would not miss her own use of we.

His smile would grow as Asena leveled his eyes, the words he prayed for on her lips. It is only as He expects. I would hope any other follows His path as I do. I am not special. And he truly did mean that. It would be my pleasure. Special...he was merely a wolf, but he supposed if he prided himself on anything, it would be his god given purpose to lead those to Him. To save those who are strayed from His light. And so lead he shall, turning to guide her to home. Come, there is much to learn.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top