Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
once there was a way, to get back homeward

P
07-27-2023, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2023, 01:35 AM by Arizona.)
just not gonna mention her name for a second until i figure out what imma rename her as LOL

A crippled welp with nary a muscle to support her crumpled on leaf scattered earth as though a doll without strings, left behind by a careless child. The creature- now a woman- whimpered at the nightmares that plagued her, tossing away from them with her body. Yet her foe was the mind, a villain not so easy to run away from.

In this dream, her father looked lovingly down upon her smallness. Speaking of bugs and trees, and the beauty of everything. The forest floor would give out, her legs frantically flipping- reaching for ground that simply was not there. Eyes without bodies looked at her as though analyzing how she fell. "How dare you fall with such lack of grace!" They said. "Half-bred!" They would speak again, repeating themselves until their words turned to yells, which turned to screams that filled her brain like heavy water until it burst.

Her yellow eyes flashed open, fear consuming them. Unconsciously she reached out to touch a figure that was not there, hoping for comfort. An island amidst her stormy sea.

The forest whispered back empty melodies. The breeze only ran up her spine- alone she was.

It was the same place she had fallen asleep in before, she remembered that much. Yet in the distance scents rolled in that she did not recognize. After letting her heart settle, the woman would stand up slowly and tread back towards the resting place of the royal wolves again. Seeing their faces, though still strangers to her soul, would calm her, surely.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 9GWg6JJ.png]
3 - 2 - 3
Visionary
Formation
07-27-2023, 03:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2023, 03:05 AM by Calhoun.)
Stone steps, meticulously placed and eroded away with the wear of time. They had always been a mystery... each slab was precise and mimicked one prior, cracks aside. They once stood as his mother's throne. A seat she so carelessly lounged in. Calhoun sat at the top now, paws feeling where the steps suddenly dropped into an end, wondering how his mother must have liked her perch above the rest. Perhaps it was vain of him to do the same, but unlike her, he knew what truly mattered. He wore the crown, but it was the High Elk who ruled them all.

The sound of approaching steps drew his ear, though he hadn't bothered to look at first. They were light, and so he assumed they belonged only to his brother. Aldritch, good timing. We— The rest of his thought was swallowed whole as ruby eyes landed on an unexpected, yet familiar face. She was pretty, all things considered; her coat dressed in tones of His approval. But she was still a stranger. ...and who might you be? There was no malice in his voice. Between the boys, it was expected that their borders were not yet recognized, but if she was here, then surely there was reason for it. The High Elk must have willed it so...

the staff team luvs u
07-27-2023, 03:47 AM

the woman looked up with yellow eyes before quickly stooping her head into a bashful curtsy.
”Iona, sir. Celnes has only recently accepted me into Elkshire, we haven’t yet had the pleasure.” Only once she had finished her sentence did she lift her head.

It hadn’t taken her long to observe and figure out who all were royalty in these woods. Though Celnes never had a king to her knowledge, all of her children were typically well respected by the general populous.
The brown lass recalled seeing this one but, never once had they spoken. She felt rude to not remember what his name was.

”Where has everyone gone off to?” She asked sheepishly to change the subject. Maybe he wouldn’t notice her lapse in memory.

the staff team luvs u
3 - 2 - 3
Visionary
Formation
07-27-2023, 04:17 AM
A former follower...so she was acquainted with the High Elk then? Hardly to standard if his mother had anything to do with it, but it was a start. It was promise...especially if she still remained. There was no doubt in his mind, she was here for him. That was good. It meant the High Elk approved of his goal... The High Elk always provides for those loyal, after all. I'm afraid the rest will not be joining us. I'm not sure how much my mother shared, but she darkened this land with her greed. The High Elk has dealt with her accordingly... As for what He did, even Calhoun did not know, but he supposed it mattered little if it was in His vision.

Elkshire no longer claims these woods, but our intentions remain the same. To follow His teachings and protect the elk. For a moment he paused, wondering just how much he should share. She was not one of them, not yet. This time His ways would be upheld, and that meant earning your place in His home. My mother...held only her interests at heart. Where might yours lay? There was only one answer in his eyes. Hopefully she'd choose correctly.

the staff team luvs u
07-27-2023, 05:01 AM

The dark toned woman blinked with surprise. How long exactly had she been asleep? To rest and not realize all of this was happening? She felt like a useless fool. The prince never spoke of what exactly ended her reign but, the eerie aura surrounding the topic urged her not to press further. He seemed kind enough regardless, and what was she to have an opinion either way? She only knew the queen so briefly.

"I'm sorry to hear that." She held no particular longing to the lost, nor did she mourn but, they had taken her in when she was alone which was enough for her to feel sympathy.

Her bright yellow gaze only wandered slightly in thought but, quickly retracted back to focus on the man.

"His teachings..."

The woman nodded. She remembered sitting with Edith what felt like not long ago, discussing the High Elk and what it meant to be a wolf of Elkshire. The importance this god had to them and the way they spoke of him was with much reverence. Not to mention the evidence of his existence. Constantly there were signs and though Iona always questioned, the truth would speak clearly.

The High Elk really was real. He dealt with Celnes? A roll of goosebumps would shiver quietly up her spine. The truth was almost scary.

So why was she here? The man's question stirred in her head for just a mere moment, but it felt like minutes.
"My interest..?" She echoed, partially to make it clear but also to pardon herself some more thinking time.

Out of all the people to 'kidnap', the High Elk had chosen her. Taken her away from her family- her father- who she so dearly loved. Plucked her from her home to place her in no other place but this forest. But he gave her no reason, no words of wisdom to guide her path. This was her task, at least for now, it seemed.

"To discover the path the High Elk has in store for me." Was as plainly as she could convey her thoughts on the matter.

the staff team luvs u
3 - 2 - 3
Visionary
Formation
07-27-2023, 09:42 AM
Her sympathies flew past him, though he'd offer a nod out of courtesy. He had never been close to either wolf responsible for his life, more so after he had come to the realization that it may have been his mother who killed his uncle— him in a past life. If...that was what he had seen. She was always peculiar about the way she spoke of his namesake. Ominously staring when she thought he wouldn't notice. In the end, she was but a wolf who stood in the rays of His light, and the skies were far clearer without her looming shadow.

Try as one might, there was no altering the path He laid before them.

Even this fresh face seemed to be capable of understanding that much, to which a faint smile pulled his lips. It was kind, even if you might glance twice before realizing it was there, like a father's unspoken pride. She had answered correctly. In that case...Trieweborne welcomes you. The prince turned king tilted his head as if looking to something grander. In reality, all that stood behind him was the path forward. It's a long road. You have much to learn before your trial, but it would seem He has His plans for you. Any questions?

the staff team luvs u
07-27-2023, 11:35 PM

Again her head would dip, much subtler this time, into a sort of bow. One less for respecting royalty and more for gratitude. She felt herself liking the way he looked at her, it reminded her of something she had lost. The woman couldn’t help but smile warmly in response.

“Is there anything in specific I can do to help out around here?” Her head mindlessly cocked to the side like a pup, a habit. Her ears gently flopping at their tips where they were less sturdy.
“I’d hate to be useless.” Iona spoke with honesty though, her eyes felt nervous to keep attached to him for too long so, they wandered as she spoke. A sort of escapism, in a way, as she attempted to brush off her anxieties.

The King spoke of a future trial for her- a test. The thought would linger in the back of her mind but, she didn’t want to look mentally incapable in front of someone who may rely on her. So she kept to her more simple questions for now, as descriptions of this trail were sure to later come.

the staff team luvs u
3 - 2 - 3
Formation
Misc Skill
07-28-2023, 07:35 AM
That depends. It was good that she wished to help so soon. There was a lot they needed to do. Elkshire had always been so weak and lazy, it was one of the reasons he ever sought out his father. There's what you might expect: borders, caches, figuring out who or what else is around here... We will only claim the Crown. There's no reason to stretch our numbers when they are few. That didn't mean he wasn't interested in the Range or Woodlands. If His apostles were there, then they would be protected, but there was no point barking at strangers and spending energy when they didn't need to. That will all come soon enough though.

Even if it was only his brothers and this woman, the list he gave was fairly simple. They just needed to be consistent. The better question is how you might help in the long run. What are your skills... interests? It will be easier to find you tasks if I know it will be less of a burden or efficient. There was also the matter of her worship, but that could be addressed later. As far as he was concerned, she was eager to follow Him, and that was enough for now.

the staff team luvs u
07-30-2023, 07:17 AM

Iona would look to the ground as she, internally, looked at herself. What was she good at anyway? Before she was mostly just a mouth to feed without a real task but, she had never gotten the chance before to inquire about where she was needed or where she would excel.

"My father raised me as a hunter." She would explain with a hint of hesitation.
"But I've always had a bigger interest in medical skills, to be honest." Though her skills did need work, for a seed could not sprout without yet being watered and a flower could not bloom without the sun's warm hands.

But Iona was intelligent- more than she communicated with words- so she was confident that she could pursue such knowledge on her own and achieve. How she would make the King confident in her as well, however, she wasn't sure where to begin.

the staff team luvs u
3 - 2 - 3
Misc Skill
08-10-2023, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2023, 10:07 AM by Calhoun. Edited 1 time in total.)
That's good. A fine hunter is always cherished within the pack. You should show me sometime...what your father has taught you. Hunting was one of his passions, but he couldn't praise either parent for his love or talent. His father had only ever taught him how to fight, and it was Remus who showed him skills in place of his mother. He never did understand what kept her so busy to never spare a moment for her children...

But I'll admit, we have more use for a Sawbone. Most wolves who survive to adulthood can scrounge up a meal of sorts. The same can't be said when sickness comes or someone springs an injury. Maybe he should have considered that when his mother's pack was still around... Even in Nightwalkers, there must have been someone who knew a herb or two with all the clashing fangs. Well, there's no changing the past. He'll just have to poke her brain later for a lesson or two.

the staff team luvs u
08-13-2023, 12:55 PM

Her eyes visibly sparkled, cherishing the moment that was being recognized. Perhaps she wasn't the greatest hunter that ever lived but, she certainly didn't think herself as bad. She smiled warmly at the king with a nod.
"I would love to." Even more so, the thought that a wolf of high status would bring himself down to her and exist as only wolves do- it was a very kind gesture.

Celnes had always appeared and felt so... above. So unreachable, to let Iona simply exist was a burden she was graciously allowing. Yet Calhoun greeted her with kindness- a respectable level of kindness, the one that urged herself to still be strong and ambitious. He felt obtainable- yet less him and more his status. That she too could be great.

Iona nodded her head enthusiastically.
"My teacher has been long removed from me but, I will try my best to remember what he taught me and fulfill Trieweborne's need." The brown hued woman dipped her head graciously.
"You could always come along with me while I forage." She shrugged her shoulders. "Pick up a few things here and there, in case you're ever in a pinch." A bashful offer from the lass, one that she did not expect much of. Calhoun was more than likely a busy man, with all that was going on.

the staff team luvs u
3 - 2 - 3
10-09-2023, 08:25 PM
Excellent. Soon then, but for now I'll let you rest. Much has changed, and I am sure there is much to take in. If you follow the river you will find the Grotto, which if you remember, are our communal dens. The whole is lined with mosses already, so bedding shouldn't be troublesome. Even if she knew the way, he'd still gesture with his nose to where she would find the path. Perhaps I will. I would probably only get in your way, admittedly, but I don't see why not. If I happen to learn something, then it benefits both me and Trieweborne. Feel free to call for me before you go out.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top