Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
My Dad Works at Nintendo

Morning Partly Cloudy
AW
Adventurer
07-23-2023, 08:14 PM
Darkness, imprisoning him. All that the man could see, what an absolute horror. In here he cannot live, nor can he die die. Trapped in himself, his body, his holding cell — and it was peaceful. There were no cosmic horrors here in the vast space of nothing. Of nowhere.

A sound interrupting his peace, a rhythm of sorts. One that grew louder and heavier, demanding all of his attention, forcing already closed lids to shut tighter to try and block it out - only to fail as the sound of rushing water cut through the heartbeat, snapping the goliath out from his slumber as he laid there in the shallows watching the water run its course.

On a bed of moss the laid there. Eyes focussing on the surroundings of tangled branches and roots in what seemed to be like a very wet land indeed.

As though he participated in a drunken waltz the behemoth rose. Paws swaying with his body as the man tried to stand on legs that barely felt present beneath him. Something gurgled up from within him and out it poured in a thick ooze from the blackened maw the pale man sported. Like tar as it heaved onto the rushing waters between his feet, immediately washed away as he purged whatever filled his belly into this new world.

he did a big barf

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
07-24-2023, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2023, 06:31 PM by Baba. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: skill tag )
size ref for his age (profile has coloring!)

With the help of Mama (@Jesuite), Javert had quickly shown just how big he might grow to be.

He explored the world on wide paws still not grown into, he bounded through rivers and ran along fields. Where his fur was pale was often more comparable to his darker points by the end of day. While he never misbehaved, he had proven to be a boy with a wild streak. Adventurous and confident, not yet snuffed out by the world.

Which was perhaps why he had little fear of a strange man who seemed sick.

Maybe he had just ate something funny. Javert had experienced this too, especially when he consumed too fast or too rough.

“Hi!” He barked out, oblivious to how the other man might feel at all. “Did you eat too fast? I do it too aaaalll the time.” He showed his age in his voice, even if he stood upon large paws and meat clung to his bones like a future champion of might.

the staff team luvs u
07-24-2023, 11:58 PM
AAH! IS THAT YOU BEES?

Sludge stuck to his lips and chest as he finished spewing into the waters below. It stained his ivory coat in a tar-like substance, an unsightly thing to see as he turned a scarred face toward the youth who happily trotted over with an innocent question.

A slow tongue slid over blackened lips to try and present himself better despite the perpetual frown that carved his face from stone.

“I didn't eat anything.” He gurgled a reply - trying to swallow anything that threatened to resurface back down so he didn't have to spew all over the boy sanding in front of him.

“Do you have anything?” Looking at the pudgy form of this one, he had to have something nearby. Or someone who can hunt with the new-rebirthed goliath. Maybe with something in his own belly it would calm down. Or at least have something to heave up as opposed to forcing nothing to come.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
07-25-2023, 12:48 AM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2023, 06:30 PM by Baba. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: skill tag )
it is not, i apologize ^^'

Oh yuck, where was this guy's Mama?

His Mama would have never let him look like that! Although Javert did, frequently, have tufts of growing fur tangled with leaves and twigs from his daily journeys. Maybe this guy's Mama just hadn't come to clean him yet!

That was okay because Javert had been raised kind enough to not point out such a thing.

“Oh I have lots of things! I have some bones and stones. I have a few pretty flowers — but those are for Mama.” The only problem was that Javert did not often bring those things with him. Sometimes he buried them, sometimes he lost them, sometimes he ate them.

“I could give you some things though!”

It had not occurred to the boy that this man wanted food.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
07-25-2023, 02:53 PM
No no apologies! Excited you joined too and welcome! :3

Oh I have lots of things, the boy said. Giving the man a promise of something to put into his belly and calm the beast that demanded attention and wouldn't be ignored. But as the boy prattled on about knickknacks instead of anything edible, the larger man’s face dropped to something… a little less than pleased.

That’s alright, I’ll pass. He tried to be as polite as possible despite the deep rumblings of his vocals. It was hard to come off as soft-spoken when one’s vocals were just not built that way.

Maybe he could make use of this in some way.

Are you hungry? Shifting the attention to the boy, maybe if they were hungry, Aarkron could convince him to work together and they could both get some food today. Maybe mama is? That was right, he seemed fond of this mother so maybe that could be a good leg up on getting some help for hunting some food quickly and effectively.

the staff team luvs u
07-26-2023, 03:50 AM
The rejection hardly bothered Javert.

It just meant that more of his trinkets would be left for himself — and for Mama! Always for Mama too. Which speaking of...

His ears may have perked if he had any. Instead it was the soft shifting of clipped nubs for ears and the raise of eyebrows. A practically gone tail wiggled near his rear too, as big paws smashed into the ground with delight. Hungry had always been a good word, never bad. Hungry meant that food would come soon.

“Oh! I bet Mama is! I am too!” He barked enthusiastically as his blue eyes crinkled while his face grinned. “Whatcha gonna get?!”

the staff team luvs u
07-26-2023, 01:54 PM
Javert is so stinking cute!

The boy seemed completely unbothered - to the behemoth’s pleasure. Good, he didn’t really want to deal with a petulant whelp - a strange looking one at that too. Cute, but certainly… odd in appearance.

Cute in a way that a puppy could be so ugly it’s adorable.

Finally, they were on the same page. Stomachs rumbling and the boy was excited to bring something back to the one he called “mama”. Even for a wolf pup this one was overly full of energy - was he even a wolf? Coyote? No… something else Aarkron couldn’t put his toes on.

Maybe he was a wolf with strange colours, and was just clipped through a rough youth. This wasn’t mama’s doing now was it? Certainly not. An abused child wouldn’t be so excited when speaking of their abuser like this. So the titan dropped the idea.

“Come, we'll find out.” With a tilt of his head he welcomed the whelp to come track something with him. “Has mama shown you how to hunt?”

I used a dice to decide the prey and if they caught a trail!

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
07-26-2023, 06:30 PM

Javert's experience was minimal. Mainly for the combination of his age (even if the last few weeks he grew in leaps and bounds) and the fact that...hunting was harder as a loner. Not that he understood that concept! It only might explain why him and Mama never hunted the big hoofed beasts or the ones that rivaled their sizes.

He wasted no time in bounding after the man, hardly familiar with the concept of stranger danger.

All he saw was a friend that wanted to hunt with him!

“Mmm, kinda? I'm not as good as Mama, but I bet if I bring her something good she'll let me hunt aaaaalllll the time!”

Right? He looked up to the tall stranger for some sense of positive reinforcement as they headed down a trail. His little nub of a tail stood up as straight as it could, clearly excited and focused on the task he had been given.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
08-28-2023, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2023, 03:01 PM by Aarkron.)
Oh good. He was going to be a tutor right here and now. On the one hand he could have a hunting partner and they could both go home with full bellies at the end of it all - and on the other, an untrained hunter could be a waste of energy while their lack of patience and training could mean the end of an unsuccessful hunt.

Quietly he pondered this for a moment. Seeing the excitement in the boy's eyes and how much he wanted to bring back something to his ma, the decision was rather easy despite the expression on his face. “I will teach you.” He reassured as they wandered. Pale nose to the ground while he picked through the trails - following one in particular that smelled of something edible.

“I will lay low, and you will guide the prey to me. I will keep it in place and you can assist me in killing it.” A simple plan. Not fool proof, but possible if the boy would have some patience. “I will aim for the jugular -” the most dangerous and most affective place to take down prey. Antlers, tusks, horns, teeth and hooves were always something to be cautious of. “Avoid the hooves, don't get crushed, and go for its underbelly to help.” Nor would he take away the killing blow from the youth. It was a lesson they all had to learn eventually and this was a good place to start.

“Certainly you chased rabbits before. Do you have an idea how to guide prey to me?”

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
09-30-2023, 02:58 AM
His butt wiggled, furiously so, even as they continued their stroll onward.

Loose jowls hung low against the ground as he snuffled along. The man explained a lot, some of the things already heard from Mama — but what was a jugular all about, huh? It hardly mattered as he got the job of the belly. The boy was not experienced in large prey but his obviously growing size would certainly be a boon to their hunt.

Once again his head perked where his ears could not.

“I spook them. Bark and herd them right to you! Right?”

He felt very confident in this answer even if it was maybe not entirely accurate.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
10-10-2023, 06:40 PM
The boy had a general idea of how the plan was to go. The mountainous man nodded at the answer, laced with an question at the end as children did and hummed a deep response. “Yes.” He was an enthusiastic little, big thing. Perhaps he would be great at herding with such energy.

His voice lowered as they neared the origins of the scent. Carefully picking his path to make as little noise as he could despite his weight. This was why the boy was the one sent to chase and he to ambush. His large figure and lumbering gait would be no good to sneak up in the proper position to herd the prey to anyone.

“Go now. Around the beast as quietly as you can.” His voice was stern as his eyes. If they wanted to catch this thing and all of them eat, Javert had to listen and take this seriously for one still so young.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top