Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Don't ask questions you don't wanna know

Discovery
Adventurer
05-23-2023, 06:10 PM
@Deimos Set on the western side of Saltwoods!

She moved with purpose today, along the edges of what they had deemed their territory, closer to the ruins they lived so near to. Here, she could feel the distant swirl of... something, a mysteriousness, a darkness that hung over the place. Esmerelda was not afraid of the dark, but nor did she feel like reaching out to let it envelope her today. This day was one for marking their home and exploring it, beginning to lay down the foundations of what they would build here.

Esmerelda turned, the ruins on her right, the Saltwoods on her left and continued to walk between them, stopping every so often to squat and mark, or to lift herself onto her hind legs and drag her claws down a tree's trunk. Small tufts of fur and scent were left behind on the trees she brushed past, happy and content to be doing what she was doing at the moment.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
05-29-2023, 01:57 AM
After his talk with Wake, he decided it would be best to explore this little island he found himself on. There were quite a few interesting things despite its size. Like a decent bit of ruins just beyond where the little group was attempting to claim as their own. He had gone over to investigate, lured in by the darkness. He wasn't ever afraid of such things, and often found himself braving areas that perhaps he shouldn't. Or places that he didn't need to check out. But he standing on the edge, staring out at the darkness when the sound of another wolf behind him caught his attention.

Being on her left, she seemed to be marking the areas. Deimos might've found himself on the inside of the territory they were forming. He wondered if she was anything like the other female had run into; after all, he could faintly scent her on this new stranger. But he felt it was better to introduce himself first instead of being caught. Just in case she was a bit on the rougher side.

Padding forward, he made sure to keep a respectful distance between himself and the other. Making his presence well known with the sound of his paw steps, he slowed his pace until he kept in time with her. "You seem to be on quite the mission," he mused allowed, his vocals unassuming and rather flat. His expression was neutral, showing very little about what he was thinking. "Dutiful. I suppose that's a better word for it."

the staff team luvs u
"Be brave. Take risks."

Deimos is a 3-3-3 rated character.
05-29-2023, 04:08 AM
Perhaps she heard him. Perhaps she did not. Either way, the woman did not pause as the man approached, though an ear flickered in his direction as she dragged her claws down the length of another tree. She would pause now, only because a splinter had found its way into her paw pad. With a hiss, she lifted her paw to examine it, baring her teeth not out of threat to anyone other than the offending piece of wood. Carefully, her teeth found it and began to pull it free, grumbling the entire time.

Only when her paw was freely bleeding, splinter extracted successfully, did Esmerelda lift her stormy eyes to the man, a curious and interested glint to them. He was dark in color, and tall, no doubt a handsome man. Yet, where Esmerelda might have once teased him with some sort of intent and purpose, her heart, her everything was now another's, the red threads of their fate weaving them together for eternity. And she would not have had it any other way.

Smelling the sea-worthy sailor upon him, Esmerelda made no effort to hide the way she looked at him, head tilting for a moment before she addressed him, answered him. “Dutiful makes it sounds like an obligation. My actions are those of pride and desire. Proud of the land we have found for ourselves, desire to make it a well protected home for myself, my lover, and those who join us.” A small smile, a flick of her tail. “I am Esmerelda, the Mystic of the Saltwoods.”

the staff team luvs u
11-13-2023, 02:44 AM
He waited patiently as the female dragged her claws down yet another tree. Marking the territory they had rightfully claimed, something he would start doing on his own as well. Something seemed to have wedged itself in her paw, a grumble coming out of her as she worked to retrieve it. He simply watched, curious at how long she was taking her time to even address him. His pride was hurt a touch, but he supposed there would be some reason for it. And then she looked up at him, interest crossing her gaze. He wasn't sure what kind of interest that was; she almost seemed to be looking at him with some sort of infatuation. Perhaps it was a stretch since he wasn't used to being stared at in such a way.

And then she finally responded to his words, talking of pride and desire instead of duty, as he had described it. He could certainly see where she was coming from, but it was simply a different point of view for him. Duty meant he cared endlessly for the pack, doing what was necessary. But that didn't mean he didn't want to, not at all. He simply nodded his head at her statement, agreeing with what she was saying. It was what he wanted as well; he wasn't going to let his new home fall to ruin like his old one. She introduced herself: Esmerelda. The Mystic. Only second to wake, and her lover if he understood correctly. Almost immediately after she spoke her name and title, Deimos bowed his head deeply to his superior.

He averted his eyes before he spoke, keeping them low to the ground in his version of respecting a higher-ranking wolf. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Esmerelda." His eyes darted up briefly, trying to gauge her reaction. "You can call me Deimos. Wake only recently accepted me into the ranks as a Gunner."

Not my best work I'm sorry but it'll get better as I get used to him

the staff team luvs u
"Be brave. Take risks."

Deimos is a 3-3-3 rated character.
01-13-2024, 03:33 AM
He seemed to be a quiet creature, something that Esmerelda took quick note of. Calm, quiet, perhaps a little closed off. The last remained to be seen, but the woman would gauge that as she spoke to him. At the very least, he was forthcoming about himself, giving his name and how he had ended up here without other wolves on his tail. Wake's scent dancing around him marked his words as truthful and her tail swept the air behind her briefly in acknowledgement.

“A pleasure to meet you as well, althought I will tell you I don't mind eye contact,” She would tell him warmly, smiling slightly. While she thought less of his gender overall, there were some that placated her misandry and usually, it was those that weren't typical males. Full of themselves, arrogant, the Mother's gift to the world and women alike. Deimos did not yet seem to be such a man, though she would not set such an observation in stone just yet.

“Welcome to the Saltwoods then, Deimos. Settled in well yet? Or are you still finding your sea-legs?” She would ask, genuinely interested in how he was finding things.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top