Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
All I see is red... What?

Early Morning Partly Cloudy
P
Formation
04-01-2023, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 05:14 PM by Apollo Hughes. Edited 1 time in total.)

The sun was up. As far as Apollo was aware of his mostly unconscious senses. The sun was filtered through the clouds above and the leaves below. This sent a faint red cast over his eyes. Almost like a candle that burned over quiet nights spent with a calligraphy pen and thickly pressed paper.

Tentatively, his eyes opened to the world. He was sitting up against a tree in a lazed position. Imprints of the tree bark were being left upon the skin under his fur, leaving small ridges in his fur that could be potentially noticeable. When he would stand, it left an uneven layer to his fur.

His gaze lingered. It took in his surroundings. By god he saw more red than normal. His eyes ought to be bleeding.

Maybe not the most important thing he should be worried about at this very moment, but a man must have priorities. 

@Leviathan
the staff team luvs u
[Image: wolf_pixel_PSD.png]
Formation
Adventurer
04-01-2023, 01:44 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 05:04 PM by Leviathan1. Edited 1 time in total.)
The man had been traveling and was happy to find a place that looked perfect to set up shop. This was a perfect place to make his new home. And so, he began sniffing around, looking for everything he would need to provide for a new pack. Water? Check. Prey? Check. Defendable borders? Also check. However, there was also another lingering scent that caught his attention. A wolf that he didn't know. 

Quickly, he headed over, his body tense as he was ready to defend his new potential claim if he needed to. Instead, what he found was a rather unkept looking wolf, one that seemed to shine like the sun. "You good? You seem a little lost." He said simply, his voice deep but smooth, though he was only just a yearling.

the staff team luvs u
He does. He speaks. He thinks.
WARNING: 3-3-3 Character
Formation
04-01-2023, 01:59 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 05:14 PM by Apollo Hughes. Edited 1 time in total.)
 While he was shaking off the 'morning grog' as he would call it, a voice came to him among the vibrancy of colors. A deep voice. His assumption was the speaker would be a brute come to stake his claim. What he saw when he turned made him pleasantly surprised.

The voice was that of a toned tan wolf. Taller than he, and much more healthily built. That did not fool him, for he could recognize the softness of fur that lingered around his body. A gentle reminder of youth. He failed to deem him an immediate threat.

"I could say I am. Yes." Another look was cast in the vicinity. A mossy gaze turning shades darker in reflection of the prominent shades of red. "But I am well." He was not bleeding out against the stone. To him that meant he was well. Albeit still oblivious to his surroundings.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Formation
04-01-2023, 02:20 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 05:04 PM by Leviathan1. Edited 1 time in total.)
He watched the man for a moment, clearly debating mentally if the orange man was a threat or not. After a moment of consideration, he would sit himself down, figuring that he wasn't a thread at least currently. He cocked his head to the side slightly and flicked an ear, red eyes scanning the man's body, noticing that, though older, the man was smaller than him, but seemed in decent enough health. 

He nodded slightly before speaking up. "That I can see, I'm assuming from your frazzled appearance you're either an incredibly hard sleeper, or you just woke up here?" He asked simply, watching him closely. In all honesty, that could just be the man's normal appearance, but he had seen several creatures wake up randomly in these lands, and so he figured the same had happened here.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-01-2023, 02:35 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 05:14 PM by Apollo Hughes. Edited 1 time in total.)
 Apollo seemed to almost laugh at the term 'frazzled' being used in direction to him. Such a fun word. A fine word to describe his status as well. He laughed not at the other, but at how hilariously direct and accurate it was.

The laugh that came from his lips was a hardy and almost homey one. The laugh of a father who heard his child talk of their stressful day of picking flowers from a garden as a surprise. Thus spoiling said surprise to the parents. Not humiliating, but just right.

"A little bit of both, I would say." He crooned gently. A hum underlaid his words as he spoke to the younger. "I must have slept so hard someone chose to move me." This was his immediate explanation of the suddenness of this world. Simply he fell asleep, hit his head, and now is in a blood red forest that should reek of the devil, but it doesn't.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Counsellor
04-01-2023, 04:01 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 05:04 PM by Leviathan1. Edited 1 time in total.)
The kid seemed to relax a little, watching the man with curiosity. He let out a soft chuckle of his own, shaking his head. "Regardless of how deep you sleep, I doubt someone could pick you up without your knowledge." He would move to stand nodding his head slightly, figuring he might as well introduce himself. "The name is Leviathan, and you?" He asked simply, figuring he might as well show some diplomacy towards the man. 

He flicked his ears slightly, wondering what the man was looking for. "I'm assuming you're alone in these woods?" He asked, hoping that didn't sound aggressive. He grimaced slightly, realizing how that might have sounded. "That sounded bad... I meant if you're searching for traveling companions..." He was really screwing this up.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-01-2023, 04:09 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 05:15 PM by Apollo Hughes. Edited 1 time in total.)
 His eye was carefully as Leviathan stood and moved. The lack of aggression was there, and Apollo had no doubts about it. Curiosity was what took place. The younger seemed to move with a purpose that Apollo strived to figure out. To understand.

"My name is Apollo." That was all he knew, but he strived not to think deeply to answer the question given.

It seemed his mental question was answered with ease by the other. Following it up with a question of Apollo's communal status. Were there people with him? Did he need people with him? The answer seemed obvious to him. "Don't worry about how it sounds." A shake of his head. "I understood what you meant - and yes, I would enjoy some company." To him, travelling companions seemed too professional of a title. Company and comradery were the idea he liked more.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Adventurer
04-01-2023, 04:48 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 05:05 PM by Leviathan1. Edited 2 times in total.)
He huffed silently to himself, feeling like an idiot. This was why he hated being diplomatic and caring what people thought of him. He’d much prefer to speak with no filter and let everyone else figure out his meaning. Regardless, it seemed like this man didn’t seem to mind.

He nodded slightly before speaking again. “I’m currently traveling with another, we’re going to be creating a pack called Damaster, and these lands will be ours. You’re welcome to join us if you’re interested.” He said simply, not explaining much else. At least not yet. He saw no point in going into details of the other wolf was just going to walk away. That was just a waste of breath.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-01-2023, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 05:15 PM by Apollo Hughes. Edited 1 time in total.)
 The offer was straightforward. He appreciated that. No dancing around it. The point was laid out simply. Join or get out. It wasn't in as harsh to a manner but the expression was plain for him to see. A choice for the newcomer. He saw no reason not to accept.

A gentle chuckle came from him before he spoke. "I'd be more than willing. There aren't any other offers around here, so I would be honored." He'd likely join this one no matter if there were others being offered. He liked the demeanor of the young wolf before him. Assertive, but also laughably hesitant about some things. The best term he could think of, that is.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Formation
04-01-2023, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 05:06 PM by Leviathan1. Edited 2 times in total.)
It seemed the older man understood what he meant without him having to say it, which was good. And so, he would simply nod at the man’s words, thinking for a moment. ”Good. Now tel me, what are you good at?” He asked simply, wanting to know what his new members would excel at. There was no point it making them do something they weren’t experienced in.

He was also glad that the older wolves he had run across didn’t seem bothered by his young age, that made things much easier in the long run. If they were loyal to him, then he could trust them and their advice without worry of them not trusting him. Regardless of his age, he was confident he could lead his group to not only survive but thrive in his lands.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-01-2023, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 05:15 PM by Apollo Hughes. Edited 1 time in total.)
 "Ah..." A noise of thought eluded the wolf. A look of thought was cast to the ground as if it would provide him the answers he is in need of. Alas, it did not. The ground could not speak and the red leaves below seemed like trickles of a conscious he could not decipher.

After a beat of thought, a nervous chortle was given. "I'm unsure. I can say I do not do best with... physical exertion." He looked down at himself and his average figure. Of course, he could run and hunt, but he was aware he would never excel within that department. His body was thin and lacked proper muscle.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Formation
04-01-2023, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 05:06 PM by Leviathan1. Edited 2 times in total.)
He listened carefully, his face neutral and giving away not a single emotion or thought. Levi wasn’t really surprised at his answer, after all it was clear to see the older male wasn’t the physically strongest. But that was fine, as long as he could do other things. ”Hmm, how about scouting, or teaching?”

He figured that he could use someone to teach the younger generation they may get at some point. Or even someone to explore the surrounding lands and report back. After all, Levi figured it would be best to try and make ties with the surrounding packs.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-01-2023, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 05:15 PM by Apollo Hughes. Edited 1 time in total.)
 A hesitant nod was given. That nod switched into one of confidence by the second or so bounce. "Yes... yes, I believe I could do that." A soft smile was given at his answer. While Leviathan remained indifferent, he seemed to express more and more emotion as they went on. Comfortability status, for the most part.

Teaching. Children. Something that seemed to rest naturally in the base of his mind. Like leaves as they fell to the forest floor. A gentle flutter that created a blanket of comfort on the ground and to the creatures below. "Either, I mean. I can offer my services in either."

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Adventurer
04-01-2023, 05:09 PM
The man nodded with a small smile on his lips, an acknowledgement of approval, that would work perfectly. "Wonderful, then lets head back to meet with the other member and we can all figure this out together." He said simply, standing and stretching out his body, letting his muscles relax and tense with a content sigh. 

He would start to walk off, walking at a brisk but comfortable pace, letting the other man catch up with him and walk with him. He would fall silent for now, only speaking up if the man had any questions or comments along the way

the staff team luvs u
04-01-2023, 05:18 PM
OOC: Believe this would be a good final post! If you'd like to set up a thread with the wolf they're going to meet (if IC) that'd be sweet!

With a kind expression in return, Apollo arose. "That would be wonderful." He said in return, keeping a decent pace with the taller, albeit ever so, sped up from his favored walking pace. Nonetheless, he moved with a comfortable smoothness to his walk.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top