Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Character ages after restart?

03-25-2023, 08:24 PM
Are all character's ages considered moved forward with normal time despite the closure? I brought in Cirrus a couple of weeks before it happened but part of the point of making him 6 months was so I'd have 6 full months of pup playtime. Similarly, I brought in Skydance a few days before (I think) and I'd picked her age to have a certain amount of time before she was fully mature. Is there any wiggle room allowed for edits allowed on the birthdates on these newer chars (that have no links to anyone ingame to mess with timelines) to account for the disruption?

I mean, I don't like the fact it messed with Arbiter's timeline too, but she was pretty solidly ingame when it happened, so as much as I would at times like to make her a year younger I understand a good chunk of that is my own fault, heh.
the staff team luvs u
03-25-2023, 09:22 PM
In most cases, time will always be parallel to real life and does not change. Due to these circumstances however, adjustments can definitely be made case by case, so each character that wants an age adjustment would need to run it by staff (for uniformity sake... i.e. if your character was born into an on site litter, there's a bit more logistics to consider). In this case, because they have not been fully integrated and have no impact on other characters, Skydance and Cirrus can be adjusted so feel free to do so!
the staff team luvs u
03-25-2023, 11:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2023, 11:16 PM by Jennifer. Edited 1 time in total.)
Does this still apply if I specifically want to shelve Skydance for now (at one post, deadifying thread) and bring her back several months down the road at 1.5 years on "reboot"?

Edit: Also this thread shows up on Cirrus' threadlog! That should be fixed.
the staff team luvs u
03-25-2023, 11:53 PM
Usually no, but since you only have one post we’re going to mark the account unapproved treating it like the character is still pending. Just make sure that the birthdate matches the age you want when you reapply the account!

Looking into the threadlog situation now
the staff team luvs u
03-26-2023, 12:34 AM
That would be great, thank you! Will def double check then.
the staff team luvs u
03-26-2023, 01:09 AM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2023, 01:10 AM by Canis Major.)
(03-25-2023, 11:02 PM)Jennifer Wrote: Edit: Also this thread shows up on Cirrus' threadlog! That should be fixed.

Fixed - ty for mentioning
the staff team luvs u
03-26-2023, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2023, 04:42 PM by Random Hikes. Edited 1 time in total.)
Thought I would keep this in this thread since it applies to the same question - you mentioned on site litters, but I have a pup who was brought in when he was at 4 months of age, going with linear time he would now he about 9 months give or take. What would be the proper course of action for him? He had a caretaker and was enrolled within a pack but both will not be returning. I would still like to keep them apart of Declan as his experiences. He was here for a good 3 months or so before the shutdown.

What would be the course of action that you recommend most? I'm fine with him staying the age he is or aging up, I just would like to know what you guys recommend!
the staff team luvs u
03-26-2023, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2023, 06:10 PM by zina. Edited 2 times in total.)
To prevent confusion, we recommend his age be whatever his birthday would make his age

Also, all those experiences can stay with your character! Just because the group no longer exists or a character was pulled from the game doesn't mean they never existed. It's very easy to say Declan got tossed around like a marble when Astra shook up the world and spat him out somewhere random. Since he's over 4 months, he's not in danger of death, but he will need to find a caretaker to prevent injury in some weeks. Based on his playtime/presence, his age should probably not be changed.

Best course of action -- feel free to find a new group or caretaker that could influence his life, or if you are ok with a desync/injury down the road for development, have him explore the new world!
the staff team luvs u
03-26-2023, 06:26 PM
Alright thank you so much! It really cleared up the confusion I had. He's currently on route for Labyrinthian so there shouldn't be any trouble coming his way. Thank you again!
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top